Bad apples on 'Pretty Little Liars'
June 29th, 2011

Bad apples on 'Pretty Little Liars'

Nightmares are bad enough when they’re unrealistic. I can’t imagine dreaming about someone in a hooded sweatshirt cornering my friends and me in a dark movie theater, only to wake up knowing the event could actually happen. Foreshadowing, perhaps?

Melissa, searching for her lost wedding ring, wakes Spencer up from her bad dream before running upstairs to take a private phone call.

To fool their parents into thinking they’re taking time apart, the girls each start new activities. Emily continues swimming, Hanna begins working on the yearbook with Lucas and Spencer plays field hockey. Aria enrolls in an art class at the very same school where Fitz and his ex-fiancee Jackie (what a small world) teach. Another small world story for you: Jenna is in her class.

Anyone else catch Aria complaining to Fitz that her new student ID resembles a mug shot? (What a fitting simile from a person of interest in a murder case.)

I know I harp on this every week, but how can the two of them make out in public just because Fitz isn’t Aria’s teacher anymore? Since when is it OK for an adult to date an underage high school student without parental consent? (But then, "Lost" actor Doug Hutchison, 51, did marry his 16-year-old girlfriend last month. So...)

On Spencer’s way home from field hockey practice, she notices a shadowy figure in Alison’s house. Jason, who’s outside, insists he’s the only person living there. When she gets home, she finds Melissa’s ring underneath the toaster. Rather than returning it to its rightful owner, Spencer takes the ring to a pawnshop for a loan. She uses the money to purchase a truck for Toby, her boyfriend of five minutes.

Tickets to a sporting event probably would have been sufficient, Spencer.

Cue the flashback: Alison walks over to Spencer’s house one night to avoid a wild party Jason is throwing at their house. She mentions that Jason is waiting to inherit money from their grandmother and that Spencer’s family has the worst apples. (There's a good chance I read too much into the apple remark, but - no closer to solving the mystery - we're not in a position to leave out details.)

Back in Jason’s yard, a trash bag opens and bloody tissues spill out across the lawn. Jason says he cut himself. I’m calling BS on this one.

Emily, in her attempt to stay in Rosewood, writes a fake letter from a college scout about why she needs to stay put in order to get an athletic scholarship. But, after a heart-to-heart with her mom, she decides to rip up the letter. (She did rip it up, right? I only ask because, thanks to A, the letter eventually made it into the mail - in one piece.)

Turns out, A didn’t want Emily to move to Texas either. A note, replacing the discarded letter in Em’s trash, read: “You can't play cat and mouse if the mouse moves to Texas. I need you here, Em. Congrats! –A.”

Aria and Jenna’s exchange in art class was by far the creepiest part of the episode. Pretending her name is Anita to throw Jenna off, Aria describes Jenna’s candle-holder to her. But once Aria gets going, Jenna recognizes her voice, and screams at her to blow the candle out, leaving the pair in the dark classroom.

However, looking back, the exchange was a bit anticlimactic. Aria appeared in the next scene, totally unfazed, with Spencer and Hanna. The three girls followed Melissa out of the house, and watched as she greeted her ex-boyfriend Wren at his car. He gave her a package before heading on his way.

The girls assume the bag contains painkillers for Ian. A good hypothesis, considering he recently fell down a bell tower. What do you think?

The episode ends as A buys Melissa’s ring from the pawnshop. Toby better appreciate his new set of wheels, because Spencer is about to be in serious trouble.

What did you think of last night’s episode?

1. Billye Queeley

Although electric lighting has phased out candles in many parts of the world, candlesticks and candelabra are still used in some Western countries homes as a decorative element or to add atmosphere on special occasions. Before the proliferation of electricity services, candles were brought into the bedroom using chambersticks, which were shorter than ordinary candleholders and furnished with a wide pan to catch the wax drippings..

All the best to you
    <http://www.caramoan.ph

April 27, 2013 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lorin

For those that have read the books, do you think they are going to have courtney in the tv show?

June 30, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • etta sandwich

courtney? No but they will have some black basturd flaming queen going from man to man givin out free knob shinings.

June 30, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lorin

I'm on book 8 in the series and can't wait to get my hands on book 9. I hear she is writing up until 12! So exciting! I absolutely love the book series as well as the tv. In Tuesday's episode I was freaked out by Jenna in the classroom with Aria and how she yelled at her to blow out the candles which she realized who she really was. I didn't know why Aria didn't turn on the lights first before doing so... and, I wish I knew what happened after that but from seeing Aria talking to the girls about it, it doesn't seem like much happened. Spencer needs to stop making herself so obvious to Jason.... She shouldn't let him in on just how much she really knows because if she didn't, than he wouldn't be covering up the windows and such and she'd be able to find out more. I don't know how Toby didn't find it extreme odd that Spencer could afford the truck she bought for him, he didn't ask "where'd you get the money from" or anything. That would be one of the first things I would have asked. Now it seems Spencer has dug herself in an even deeper whole than before. As for Wren, Melissa, Jason, and Jenna, I some how think they are all linked together. It just seems to ironic that Melissa's ex is now helping Meilissa in her time of need when her husband is a suspect in murder. Jenna is now admitting that she can see shadows, I feel like she can see more than that, but we will see... Her eyes may be damanged but I think she can still see some what. And, how is it that she is always at the right place at the right time with the girls. She knows their every move. Melissa just seems shady.... Why would she lie to Spencer that she never went outside if she did? The only thing I could think of is if she was doing something wrong and didn't want anyone to find out. I think Aria is going to get herself into some deep trouble with Mr. Fitz, his ex seemed like she was plotting an evil plan against them as she watched them kissing. And, as for A well I think it could still be anyone. There is always someone we suspect and than in the next episode it'll be someone different. I absolutely love it though!

June 30, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  4. Alex

I'm glad I read the books first before watching the show. They changed a lot. Still a good show, just wondering if they're going to change the whole big shocker in book 8 in the show..that was pretty intense

June 30, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. A

Keep on guessing b**ches.

June 30, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sg

The letter Emily ripped up was the 1st real one from the scout that said MAYBE. the one her mom got in the mail was the fake one Emily wrote. The ripped up one was taken from the garbage and will haunt Emily later!

June 29, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. PPLFANATIC

@Rian Have you read all eight books? I am on book 5 but I am almost finished with it. I think I know who A is but I am not for sure quite yet. I can not wait to finish all the books.

June 29, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rian

I have. I love the series. I am about to start the other series Shepard wrote, The Lying Game. Its the new show that ABC Family will be showing in August.

June 30, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex

I can't wait for the 9th book. and trust me, you probably have no clue who A is. I kept thinking I knew, but book 8 is crazy!! Huge TWIST. Keep reading :)

June 30, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. Rian

I am so addicted tot his show. I found out who A was from the books, but that hasn't stopped me from watching. I think I like the cat and mouse thing. I was shocked with the letter initially, but if A knows their every move, they would know about the letter. My theory is that when Emily read it, A was listening in or has the car bugged. She did win in at homecoming so it would be easy to bug it. So they created a second letter and when Emily didn't mail it, A did. The other figure in the house, I am not sure its Ian yet. i think that is too easy for us to believe. I do think he's alive but I think there is someone else in the house. Who, maybe the grandmother he is waiting to die off or maybe its the guy who tried to get Mrs. Hooper's money at the bank. He and Jason are working together?????

June 29, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. The Måd Ræp3r

Please never again mention the girl Doug married. It brings back the horror of her singing and I feel the need to spread the pain around.

June 29, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bob

these girls should stop lying

June 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dort

I too wondered how that letter made it under Emily's door in one piece. Fritz' ex will become a problem. And why can't we get more Caleb? Hannah needs to get back with him pronto. Melissa, Jason, Jen, the cop and Ian are just getting on my nerves. They're all connected some how. AND if Allison has a twin, wouldn't Jason know this and why hasn't he mentioned the 'other" sister?! It's driiving me crazy but I can't stop watching!!!

June 29, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |