Tom Hanks thinks a 'Toy Story 4' is in the works
June 28th, 2011

Tom Hanks thinks a 'Toy Story 4' is in the works

Judging by the success of "Toy Story 3" - hello, Oscar - it wouldn't be a surprise if Pixar's trying to extend the tale of Woody and Buzz Lightyear into another movie.

Although "Toy Story 3" director Lee Unkrich told CNN back in December that there were more animated shorts on the way and not necessarily a sequel, Tom Hanks seems to have heard an update.

The actor, who voices Woody in the family films, told "Showbiz Tonight" at the premiere of his movie "Larry Crowne" on Monday that he believes a fourth installment is already underway.

"I understand it's happening and if it is, I hope they'll hire me [again]," he says. "They have almost every line I've ever said in the hard drive up there at Pixar. So they might not need me! I hope they'll have some unique grunts they're going to need from me so I can get in there and do it."

Filed under: movies • Pixar

1. Penguino

By the way, they have too many toys to think about since we saw who bonnie already owned!

January 16, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Penguino

LOVE toy story! go for a fourth! if andy had stuffed his toys in the attic, it is clear that he would keep them and give them to his children. But with T.S. 3 ending the way it did, a whole new adventure lies ahead! Think! andy could come back, bonnie could get kidnapped, one of the toys gets recalled, Zurg could join the gang, the prospector from TS 2 could return! there's no telling what could happen! PS, shrek, star wars, yo gabba gabba and spongebob people: why are you changing the topic??? PPS i have two new texting symbols: <O (a bird) ^?^ (a chinese man) Bye, bye! GO TOY STORY 4!!!! i'm on board with 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8! maybe they could go on after that, but after that they should call it with words like: Toy Story: Andy Returns or possibly: Toy Story: Woody gets recalled! also on board with a holiday special!

January 16, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Guest

Love T.H. and all of the Toy Story movies but why ruin it with a fourth? I think they should leave it alone! The third one closed it perfectly! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Say-no-to-Toy-Story-4/213186698723292

June 30, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. David

Andy is likely out and they are going to continue with the young girl. That's where the series will get a fresh start I bet. Come on people, THINK!

June 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Maverick

Leave it at 3. Lucas tried to stir up lightning with the Wars "prequel" and ended up making a huge joke. As Buzz said, "Let's go out on a high note", and they did with the end of three.

June 29, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ashley

I LOVE the Toy Story movies so much (I have 4 of the Toy Story Collection toys), but I think 3 movies are enough. Like another poster said, I don't want Toy Story to turn out like the Shrek movies. If Pixar wants to keep the characters "alive', I'm all for it as long as they are kept in shorts.

June 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Chaz Bono

In this Toy Story remake I would like to see a Chaz Bono doll that has removal ta~tas, a strap on, attachable weiner and carpet mats for the back and face. The doll will need to be big fat and manly like me, Chaz.

June 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DD

Someone told me that Tom Hanks was not being serious when he made this stupid comment. I pray to God that what that someone was saying was true. I do not want to see Toy Story 4. It is absolutely unneeded.

June 29, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. Canine Humper

Of course the men who eat other mens poo and c u m dumplings will want to have Ho~Mo toys. Lets not redo the movie.

June 29, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. releena195

Um Disney... please don't make another Toy Story movie. It's done. The ending of the last one was perfect. Making a 4th one would just make you look like greedy money-loving corporate @ssholes who just care about a bottom line! Look at the Shrek franchise... they should have stopped after the 2nd one but noooooooooooooo they had to go on and make two more which both SUCKED.

June 29, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  11. beenz

It would be hard to top the last one, but if they can get a good story going.. (maybe set in the future w/Andy's children?) I'd be on board!

June 29, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • BIll

I can see it now. Andy hits his midlife crisis and wants his toys back making him the villian. Woody gets torn between Andy and the new family he is playing with. There is the power struggle between the different toy chracaters all spurned on by a new toy of some sort.

June 29, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Kay

Hopefully they'll stick to just doing Toy Story shorts. TS3 was perfect, and if TS4 sucked it would tarnish the whole series.

I'm sure Indiana Jones 4 sounded like a great idea at one time, too.

June 29, 2011 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. DC

This is great for the shareholders and toy makers! Hoping for a great movie!

June 29, 2011 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. onecent121

I hope this is true! I would love to see Toy Story 4!!!

June 29, 2011 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. Katie O

Give Randy Newman a cameo!!

June 29, 2011 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  16. Dracubuzwood

ohh.....they could come back as zombies!

June 29, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  17. TheArtistMichelle

:">

June 28, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Heidi

No! They ended it so perfectly. I grew up with it and loved all 3. They're just going to ruin it if they do to another!

June 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Name

PREQUELS!!! Let's have another trilogy about how they hired an actor named Tom (voiced by Tom Hanks) to portray a cowboy in a 1960's puppet show, and how through many trials and tribulations, they ended up with a successful enough show to have a merchandising line. (Origin of Woody...) Then in the second movie, they could show how after a slip in the ratings, they added the "love interest" of the cowgirl, (and have it be... SURPRISE! someone else at first before they changed it due to viewer outcry) and that's how she came to join the show, and then the third prequel could center on the origins of Buzz LY. (Or have they already done that on /his/ cartoon?)

Anyway, just a thought. It worked well enough for Star Wars... funny though, how much the first three movies, (which were really 4, 5, and 6 or whatever) made the ones that were filmed later, (but it seems conceived and written earlier) like sad, cheesy retreads of old hat that had already been covered! Maybe with TS -3, -2, and -1, they could avoid that.

June 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jaymi

I loved the Toy Story movies and my son watches them now. I am excited that there might be a 4th!! Yay!!!!!

June 28, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lindsay

Yes Please!!! Maybe Andy wants his toys back..?? hahaha
    Seriously though, i'd love another one. My kids LOVE these movies and it sure beats having to sit through Yo Gabba Gabba & Spongebob!!

June 28, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaymi

Add the Backyardigans and Wonderpets to that mix too please!! : )

June 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerrod

I agree. I will let my son watch any of the Toy Story movies over Yo Gabba Gabba (we do not let Sponge Bob into our house). But on one hand I am hessitant if they do decide to attempt a 4th movie. Both Ideas so far presented a.) a movie about Woody and Compoany and Molly and b.) Andy coming back after 5 or 6 years married and having kids of his own are good starting points; however, what would be the underlying plot? If they were to make a 4th movie I would most certainly go see it, but I think, in the long run, they should stick with making shorts and maybe a holiday special or two for TV.

June 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  22. x

Why can't filmmakers just stick to making trilogies anymore? Why have a fourth, fifth, sixth installment for? I LOVE Toy Story, but from where they ended with Toy Story 3, I think it's more appropriate to do shorts than to do yet again another movie. Pixar has not yet failed to make a bad movie, and if they did make a 4th, it probably won't fail to disappoint, but it's annoying that they're even entertaining the idea of making a 4th movie. The trilogy was perfect, don't spoil it by making it into an obnoxious franchise that eventually starts to lose steam at the 4th installment and upward.

June 28, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  23. T Lady

I think a fourth installment isn't such a hot idea. Woody and Company can eventually wear out their welcome. And as another poster said here, the third installment ended with Andy going off to college. I mean, the story goes back 15 years.

June 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Mary

I hope they keep coming. There is a new generation of children how need to have Buzz and Woody as heroes.

June 28, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  25. miriam

I dont think they would make any better movie

June 28, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kattie

I think they should start a fresh new story with the little girl the toys was left with. I love Toys story never end lol.

June 28, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  27. MDeSimone

LOVE YOU TOM!!! Love Toy Story too! Keep them coming.... Disney can make anything a hit.... :)

June 28, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Renee

I love the Toy Story sequel, and it had the perfect conclusion. Don't push another story; I can't imagine how more would be better.

June 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Lena

I hope Pixar doesn't turn the Toy Story franchise into a Shrek disaster and crank out 5 movies, and then continue with a spin-off like DreamWorks is doing.

June 28, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Amand

What. What? WHAT?

I'm scared. Genuinely scared. The third movie was perfect! It ended the story wonderfully. I don't think there should be another. But, I adore Toy Story so I'm also excited. I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION.

June 28, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dean

But didn't every one end perfectly?

Each one could have been a conclusion but then a new one came out and I was dazzled all over again. The writers are excellent. The artists just as much so. And the voice talents are all the best. Why would anyone not want to continue the journey?

I love the idea of the next one picking up 5 years after the last one and the toys are given back to Andy for his kids or whatever. This series has set the bar so high that "failure" could still land them miles ahead of anything else out there.

June 29, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  31. Kayla

Well, in Toy Story 3 it never says what happened to Babie or Ken. So maybe the 4th movie is focused more on them, like Woody & the other toys have to find them owners or something... I don't know :)

June 28, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emma

Kayla you really didn't stay to see the end of TS3 did you? The credits wrapped up everything to do with Barbie and Ken...they're fine.

June 28, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Amanda

I hated how Toy Story 3 ended :( I think if they do decide on a fourth, they should bring Andy back somehow. Like how a previous poster said, have the toys save Andy, or something having to do with him anyway...

June 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Pedro

After the massive success of possibly the biggest and most successful franchises since Star Wars, I really don't think they should go for this sequel. 3 were great enough and the third really rounded up the Toy Story saga very, very well. And I love that Toy Story was a very awesome trilogy, so I can't stand that their making a sequel and really pushing the story too far, espcally without Andy. Just how can they do that with an already successful trilogy?

June 28, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Elise

They're going to ruin it. I love Toy Story, but if they turn this into a "Shrek" deal (with a million sequels) it will totally ruin the magic. :'(

June 28, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  35. mehe

I think the only way a part 4 would work is, if it has something to do with Andy <.< for example maybe they decide they want to go see Andy or maybe something happens to Him, and Woody and Co. need to save him... I dunno!! either way if kids enjoy the Toy Story movies so much go ahead and make another one for them! ;)

June 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Name*uko

God is powerfull

June 28, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  37. meh

I think after the success Toy Story 3 got... it really is pointless to go for a 4th...

June 28, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • alex

they probably said the same thing about the second and the third. i believe in pixar to tell a unique tale that grabs the audience because they havent failed after three attempts.

June 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ayoteck

The 3rd installment was obviously a mega success, they shouldn't push it. Short movies are always welcomed, I'm looking froward to those.

June 28, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Jenny

I love this series! We all grew up with Andy and his toys. Now it's time for a new adventure in life.

June 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • emily

jenny u r so on my side i mean if there is another movie fun+adventure=A BIG MOVIE:) see every one loves toy story who doesnt!

June 28, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Midnight

Yeah, three is enough. I think it ended very well with the toys and their new owner. Sequels don't usually work, and they were lucky to have done three successfully.

June 28, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Agreed. The end of Toy Story 3 wasn't happy; it was hopeful. Andy left for college leaving the toys behind with the sweet little girl who would love and take care of them. Just because the story didn't necessarily end doesn’t mean they should make more movies. Just leave it alone. If it ain’t broke…

June 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • doubledeee

well pixar is genious so if they make a fourth movie it will be good people were saying cars 2 was not going to be good look what happened :0

June 28, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  41. apples

sounds neat-o

June 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Kate

I love the Toy Story movies, but I really don't know what more they can do with it. I think it should just be done with the three movies.

June 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

That would be kinda weird because they aren't even with Andy anymore

June 28, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • emily

ok kate thats when ur wrong i mean if there is another adventure more fun = more hits like people would go see it right well when the 3rd one ended i cryed:( but they were happy

June 28, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Count Boogie

you can't argue with someone wanting to make money...but seriously...My opinion as god of the world is...let the audience fade into making their own stories and "what if's" with these characters.
      The 3rd movie had such a beautiful ending about the eb and flow of life...so...let life eb and flow.
      Let me create new adventures for Woody, Buzz and the gang in my mind. :)

June 29, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
    • eunis

Buzz Lightyear likes to fly up mens hairy stankholes

June 29, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Jen

If they were going to do #4, I would like to see Andy have children of his own and have the toys reunite somehow (garage sale, whatever) so that Andy's children enjoy them too, and it will bring back memories for Andy. :)

June 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnC

If Tom Hanks is exicited just to be a part of the 4th one then im on board. Pixar will not screw up anything. By the way i cried like a little girl at the end of the 3 and im 21 years old. I think because the orginal was such a big part of my childhood and what not.

June 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |