June 27th, 2011

Memorable moments from the BET Awards

Awkward.

That's the best possible way to describe the moment when fan Tiffany Green was chosen to read the name of the winner of the Coca-Cola Viewers Choice Award Sunday night on the BET Awards.

Green read the name Chris Brown from a Sprint Evo tablet, then looked up befuddled at the teleprompter and read with wonder, "I'm sorry, Rihanna 'What's My Name?'" Scratch that, because it was then announced that Drake was the winner.

Turns out Green was right the first time and the award was rightfully Brown's, but given the fact that he's admitted that he assaulted his now ex-girlfriend Rihanna, it made for some seriously uncomfortable TV time.

But that wasn't the only memorable moment on the awards show. Some others included:

Kelly Rowland owns the stage with "Motivation"

Move over Beyonce, 'cause your group mate tore it up Sunday night.

Rowland delivered an amazing performance of her hit song "Motivation" and worked the stage like a true diva, with a big, floppy hat covering her face.

Things got steamy when she and Trey Songz finished out her performance, with Songz kissing her on her neck as they were lowered beneath the stage.

Marsha Ambrosius takes Patti LaBelle to church

LaBelle was presented the Lifetime Achievement Award and was feted by various stars including Cee Lo Green, who sang "Somebody Loves You Baby" while dressed in a vintage Patti outfit and wig.

But British-born Ambrosius tore the house down with her rendition of "If Only You Knew" which had Madame LaBelle up out of her chair and shouting.

Loved it.

And of course LaBelle herself grabbed the mic later and showed the world that after 50 years in the business, she still has one of the greatest voices out there.

Ledisi makes us miss Teena Marie even more

During a tribute to the talents we lost this year, newcomer Ledisi honored R & B star Teena Marie with a rendition of  "Out on a Limb."

The performance was incredible and the audience went wild.

What are your picks for the best moments of the night?

1. BET fan

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4oIzGirxkU&w=640&h=390]

June 28, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. charlie crack

@amanda- your parents opened you up to many legendary artists and great music. I admire that. @fernace-you sing?? That's great....all these blogs and I didn't know that....good for you...go for it!

June 28, 2011 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  3. fernace

Sorry, misspelled Teena! How could I forget, I'm just in shock over her loss, I guess! It's too sad!!

June 28, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. fernace

Hateful people DON'T rule the world!! I can't belive I missed the passing of my girl & co- blue eyed soul singin' sister Tina Marie! I'm so sad to hear this. Lucky to have picked up her last 2 CD's, & glad to hear her daughter will release more, but we need her here, she was too young to die! Tina was my inspiration when I started singing. I loved to sing songs by Aretha, Patti, Chaka, & Natalie, but being white in a black band in the 70's, made me feel kinship with Tina, a girl like myself who loved black music, & felt nothing wrong in revelling & glorifying in it! And I got "words" from both blacks & whites! Blacks laughed til I started singing, that is, & whites were just plain hateful (but they don't rule the world)! Well, sing with the angels, Vanilla Child, see ya when I get there!!

June 28, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Amanda

Thank you Charlie Crack I was just skimming some of these post.I was working the night and I still haven't gotten around to watcing it yet but I will later in the week.I must say that I am ashamed at some of the hateful comments,I am white and I love a lot of rap my parents loved Otis Redding,Aretha (of course),Lou Rawls,Sam Cooke and many other entertainers of every race. I know this is irrelevant
    but my dear,sweet sister-in-law is a sister, when she and my brother were married my parents made a toast it started with my pops saying welcome daughter.It was beautiful,they've recently made a similar toast at there
    fifteenth anniversary
    dinner.The reason I' m saying all of this is to let everyone know not everybod is ignorant.

June 28, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. charlie crack

@MyTWhyT- "git' back in this trailer fo' momma whoop you! You know you ain't posta' kiss on yer' sister...."

June 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JD

Jill Scott was great. The tribute to Patti Labelle, who is a true legend, was great. Chris Brown owned the night. Overall a great show.

June 27, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Blackety McBlackblack

Good lwad, we cain't even have our awaddd shows go right. lawdy.

June 27, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. josh

I had to visit relatives so recorded it. Maybe I can watch it tonight. I hope Snoop Dog will perform. He is great!

June 27, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Makeeda

Ledsi honoring Teena Marie was the best moment of the night. Ledisi hipped everyone "To the Tee." May Lady T, the Vanilla Child, Lil' Bit, Shorty, Casper, the Ivory Queen of Soul have a legacy that shines on. She was a great composer/singer, and her daughter, Alia Brockert(Rose Lebeau) is overseeing new music that Teena recorded before she passed. Look out for it, and Rose Lebeau's music.

June 27, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. rik jaames

im supa freeeeaky baby. dont be a hatin on Rik Jaames.

June 27, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Fabio

I can't believe it's not butter

June 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. HateOn

Do you know how to truly tell when someone is jealous of another. The amount of HATE they display towards them. You talk all this ugliness about people of color because you wish you could be them. You don't like who you are or what you stand for. So you spend your pitiful life directing all the hate you have for yourself on others that you wish you could
    be.

June 27, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LIng Chow

: )

June 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. charlie crack

Mary J Blige tore it up.....She sang her @$$ off. Great awards show.

June 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  16. JAMAL

Best awards show ever.

June 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. undercovuh bruthuh

Did Chris Brown whip anyone ass?

June 27, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • B=Dog

Nope, he was too busy using anti gay remarks and calling people the N word. Classy guy!

June 27, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • ian

How many shootings, robberies, drug busts, fugitive apprehensions?

June 29, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  18. smdh

ur an ignorant idiot.. and lice isnt something black people get our hair is too good for that! :)

June 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  19. you are the worst troll ever

You can't even spell the guy's name right, and you don't even talk like him. Get educated... at least name yourself RASHEED and it would make a little more sense, you inbred.

June 27, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. #ur stupid

not sure what community yu live in but African Americans i know use deodorant... it's the white people who smell bad.. jajaja

June 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lola

I bet your a** that you can't say what you are saying on the internet to a black person. Your a** is going to get whopped. Immature crap.

June 27, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. elm

hop sing...LMAO!! And so true.

June 28, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  23. Takin a Deuce

LOLa. I bet I would. One on one you darkys are chickenshyt and thats why you run in tribes. Just cant escape your ancestry...LOLa.

June 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |