Beyonce: Glastonbury a dream come true
June 27th, 2011

Beyonce: Glastonbury a dream come true

Just ahead of tomorrow's release of her album "4," Beyonce made global headlines this weekend after nailing her debut headlining gig at the Glastonbury Festival.

The reviews couldn’t be more congratulatory, undoubtedly a nice change of pace for the 29-year-old, who’s weathered lukewarm response to her single “Run the World (Girls.)”

The Guardian commended the pop superstar for kicking the show off with a bang and never letting the excitement slip. Harper’s Bazaar added that she lived up to her reputation, with Rolling Stone calling it a “bold, crowd-pleasing spectacle" and Billboard viewing it as "career-defining."

She launched into the 90-minute set with “Crazy in Love” and then worked her way through a number of hits, including “Single Ladies” and “Telephone” in addition to covers of Kings of Leon’s “Sex on Fire” and Alanis Morissette’s “You Oughta Know."

When all was said and done, George Michael acknowledged the singer’s efforts, tweeting, “Just watching Beyonce's performance at Glastonbury. I love that woman. Great artist, writer, singer, person ... Something so generous about the fact that she covered songs that acknowledged Glastonbury's typical audience. Very few American artists ... would take the time or have the respect for a foreign audience to do that. She just gets better and better."

Beyonce herself was taken aback by the moment, telling her audience, “I wanted you all to know, right now you are witnessing my dream. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for having me and my band here.

“I always wanted to be a rock star,” she continued, “and tonight we are all rock stars … I still can’t believe I’m performing at Glastonbury.”

Check out a clip below:

Filed under: Beyonce • Celebrities

1. Loving Beyonce

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4oIzGirxkU&w=640&h=390]

June 28, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. charlie crack

Beyonce's a freakin' dream come true herself.....move ova' Hova let me have her...

June 28, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. adam hart

Cue the haters

June 28, 2011 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. fernace

Beyonce is my homegirl from H-town & she always throws down! She's beautiful & has a voice like an angel! Sorry to hear she was sick, but she gets the job done anyway, like a true artist!

June 27, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fernandez

I like her but always laugh when she tries to make her face wiggle. Has anyone noticed that too? It always tickles me. She seems like a really nice person btw.

June 27, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roxy

I like when she gives little smiles when she's singing, like she's having a great time. I love her and always will. She does a lot of nice things for those less fortunate. I respect her.

June 28, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. josh

I thnk she is neat. Its bad she was sick bu she is still young. Hopefully she can rest and take it easy for a while. All the stress cant be too good for performers.

June 27, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jen

I just love her; what else can I say about her? Absolutely amazing, my guy doesn't get what the long continuing fuss is all about he says yea she's great looking, and that's it.I don't care what anyone else thinks I know before this post is taken off tomorrow there will a lot of negative things said poop jokes fat jokes so many have nohing to do.

June 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Areefuh

Shiiiii girlfrin she b up day twitch dat ace an sing ow huh sole foe dims peeps. she b gib it awl foe duh glowree uh gawd. AMAN!!

June 28, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. turd door to the right

this jus be kneegrowlicious, honeychile.

June 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Swedish chef

Bork bork bork

June 27, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lola

Haters will keep hating.

June 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • trix are for kids

Beyonce has an AMAZING voice. She has one of the best voices in the industry right now. However, like a lot of other artists of that caliber, she wastes her talent away with some horrific sound that she tries to pass off as good music. All she does now instead of powerful ballads where she sings her heart out is to make these stupid "Get Me Bodied" and "Single Ladies" songs... please. Women everywhere may feel "empowered" by that kind of song (which I have no idea why becuase it's just stupid PMSing throughout the song), but let's be honest... it's NOT GOOD MUSIC AT ALL. You're probably one of those idiots who thought "HOLLABACK GIRL" was great as well.

June 27, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly Rowland

She a Ho.

June 28, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. rik jaames

She be super freaky

June 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Suzzzz

Ok so shes mrs jay z and once her looks are gone so is her music cuz it SUCKS.... So why is she messing with songs from artists who actually make good music like KINGS OF LEON???? Seems to me shes sang herself out and she wants to cover songs that dont need to be covered!

June 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • kez

Why did you bother leaving a comment on here if you hate her so much? She was sick and you know it so get over it lool

June 27, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • ray ray

Kings of Leon? They are just a group of buttPumpers.

June 28, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. rik jaames

I gotta work on my fro. Later duudes.

June 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. rik jaames

EVERY DAY IS OUR DAY, BEEEEEOTTCH !

June 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JR

The great one's are great for a very good reason. They give their fans everything they got....every bit. I love Springsteen and if you've seen him live you know. He gives it all...every time. Sounds like Beyonce figured that out too.

June 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |