An underdog steps up on 'The Voice'
June 22nd, 2011

An underdog steps up on 'The Voice'

This week’s “The Voice” kicked off with cheers and heartbreak.

Two singers from Team Cee Lo and Team Adam were saved and two were let go right off the bat! Vicci Martinez and Nakia were saved on Team Cee Lo while Javier Colon and Casey Weston were the last ones standing from Team Adam.

And then the show really began. First up was the amazing Frenchie Davis, and she nailed her performance once again! She did a rendition of Madonna’s “Like a Prayer,” hitting the right notes at the right time and even holding at least two notes longer than anyone has on that stage. It was electrifying and the coaches agreed.

Next up was Nakia from Team Cee Lo, who took the stage with just a piano. He started off with “Idol” alum Adam Lambert's “What Do You Want From Me?" He begins slow and then rocks it out halfway in by kicking over his piano bench and then walking down into the audience.

Dia Frampton from Team Blake and Casey Weston from Team Adam had decent performances too. Dia went with her version of R.E.M.'s “Losing My Religion,” a song that earned her praise from her coach Blake before and after the show.

Meanwhile, Casey's take on “I Will Always Love You” seemed to be a hybrid of both the original Dolly Parton song and the remake by Whitney Houston, part country and part soul. She even topped off her performance by wearing a sparkly white strapless dress with cowboy boots.

After her performance Blake uttered something that surprised everyone, especially Adam: “She is pretty hot.” To that, Adam didn't seem to know how to respond so Carson kept things moving after a few laughs. Can you say awkward?

Up until last night, she had been the underdog, but she stepped up to the plate last night and showed everyone just what she’s made of by belting out her twist on Florence + The Machine's “Dog Days Are Over.”

Since it’s such a powerful song sung by such a powerful woman it was risky for Vicci to try, but I'm glad she did. She even added drums to the mix. I believe Vicci hit the right note with everyone including the coaches. Adam declared it "the coolest performance of the night,” which Blake echoed, saying, "No question the most powerful performance of the night."

In addition to the 8 artists performing, we got to see Adam Levine and his band, Maroon 5, perform with Christina Aguilera. Maroon 5 and Christina debuted their song "Moves Like Jagger.” (And yes once again Christina's hair was the main attraction.)

Meanwhile, Adam and Christina used their performance to playfully hug one another. It was their way of letting the audience know that everything is okay between and that the rumors of them bickering behind the cameras are just that – rumors.

The show ended with Carson telling the coaches that they had 100 points to divide among the remaining contestants and that after that it was up to Americans to vote for the “Voice” they want to stay on the show.

So who do you think killed it with their performance?

1. Karen

Rooting for Vicci all the way. Everyone should check out her original songs on youtube just type in her name. She's amazing and i hope she goes all the way and wins the voice next week. Javier hes the same as any other rnb artist like bruno mars, nothing special about him and i dont think he should be The Voice. Dia she's unique but lacks personality.

June 25, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. LucyLu

I disagree completely that Vicci Martinez was ever the underdog! She was saved by AMERICA not by a coach, she had the highest combined score and if you deduct the coaches points and went soley based on the call in votes she had the highest percent followed closely by Javier. Hardly an underdog, she is a dynamo and fun to listen to and watch! You go girl!

June 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TS

Beverly is "The Voice", can't wait for her to perform again!

June 23, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eric

Here's my review of Semi Finals week! Check it out! http://youtu.be/YjWzu__zn48

June 23, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sarah h

Vicci is awesome!!! i get goosebumps everytime she performs. by far my favorite. and beverly.........wow!!! there is something about thier performances that fires me up everytime they hit the stage. love love love vicci and beverly

June 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bla bla bla

Dia kicked major ass last night. she is the most CREATIVE and ORIGINAL artist on the voice. she definately deserves 2 win

June 22, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mark

javier is the best, also dia sounds just like vanessa carlton

June 22, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nataswon

Bev is my fav and Nicci's performance made me check out Florence and the Machine (that says alot). I truly hope that if this show returns, they get a different host. Carson Daly sucks the life out of this show.

June 22, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cindi

Can't believe Blake's team. Both Jared & Patrick performed better than the girls & they got booted? Dia & Xenia are awful...neither will win. Adam should have picked Jeff over Casey....she's weak.

June 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rodney

Xenia is a mistake.....What was Blake thinking? I thought Beverly did awesome! How can you say she was just ok?

June 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mike

can't believe adam didn't keep jeff jenkins

June 22, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Brenda

Am I the only one that think Dia and Xenia sound like Norah Jones?

June 22, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agreed

i agree... both dia and xenia seem to channel a bit of norah jones in their voices, but they each are unique in their own way.

June 23, 2011 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. amanda

The tone of Xenia'a voice is unique and remarkable!

June 22, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. kimberlyanne

Frenchie- good
    Nakia-good
    Dia- AMMMMMMMMAAAZZZZINNNGG
    Casey- Good, but terrible song choice...bad job adam
    Beverly- really good
    Javier- always good BUT not as good as usual...time after time and angel were both better
    Xenia- great tone....give her 2 years and she will be incredible
    Vicci- Great performance...voice is nothing extraordinary

The fact is that the final two will be Javier and Dia and Dia will win. SHE IS DIFFERENT. If you want to hear someone who caan belt it out alll the time but sounds the same as everyone else...watch American Idol not the voice

June 22, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. claudie

I love Frenchie and Nakia, they need to be in the top 4, , i would love for frenchie to win

June 22, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  16. norma

Xena has the most unique voice on the show she just needs work on her stage fright! viccis got a great voice too! my votes on them

June 22, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. avand

All the singers were great last night. I do not care for Frenchie. But to be honest the best performance was Vicci . She did the dam thing ! As far as Xenia her voice is so soulful . Casey song I will always love you better than Whitney did . As far as Javier I don't see what the fuss is all about . There are so many men that sound better. As far as Dia she can sing.

June 22, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Javier

Javier for the win. every one else is battling for second.

June 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Johnnea

Love Vicki Martinez.

June 22, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. CindySanFrancisco

Vicci and Dia did NOT hit all of their notes last night. I was listening carefully and they simply fell flat a couple times each. Javier's voice is perfection and he HAS to win and am hoping he does an R&B song next.

June 22, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  21. dark~star

Vicci, you go gurl !

June 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Manuel Labor

People who care about this crap are the reason our country will soon be over-run with midgets and poo-eaters!

June 22, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Lianna

I fell in love with Javier Colon's voice from the start and have been voting like crazy every time I can. I really hope he wins!

June 22, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • becka

I think Javier is the best voice on there. His pitch is perfect, tone is pure, range is amazing and the man knows how to sing with dynamics. Don't always love his song choices, but the voice he has... I agree with Adam probably the best voice I've ever heard...ever. Vicci's pretty good; while the "performance" was cool last night, I didn't think the song itself was all that great for showing her voice. Jolene was better for her. Dia, blah. Get a personality or at least some manners. She comes off rude and aloof. Plus, her technique isn't that great. Xenia is pretty unique in sound and a couple years of seasoning she'll get even better & lose some of the nerves. Casey... doesn't do much for me. Frenchie is pretty good in her style. Nakia, I like his energy, but doesn't seem to have much range. Don't care much for Beverly... she seems to do one thing & that's singe really loud. Not much range there that I can see. So... I'm pulling for Javier!

June 22, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  24. be quiet

I like all the performers and the judges are great – the only person on The Voice that I can't stand is Carson Daly! He couldn't be more boring.

He doesn't even know when to start talking. Last night, after a huge pause, Adam Levine had to prompt him by saying, "...and that's all I have to say". Then, he blandly reads the teleprompter until I feel like falling asleep. You can even see his eyes move across each line as he drones on and on. Get a new host next summer!

June 22, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • LucyLu

Ah, I love Carson as the MC, and I have to admit I was never much of a fan of his before. I like that he seems genuine and supportive, he doesnt ask annoying questions or fight with the coaches like Ryan Seacrest.. The whole show is AWESOME and ALL the singers have talent, there are no William Hungs thrown in for shock value, no humiliating and degrading the singers to get more viewers. Strictly about talent and NBC hit it out of the park with bases loaded on this one, congratulations!!!

June 24, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  25. TLS

Has anyone else noticed the picture at the top of this story?? Both of the members of Blake's team look like their dog's just died. lol Dia never looks happy and Xenia always looks so freaked out.... poor thing!!

June 22, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  26. TLS

Vicci kicked serious boo-tay! Her performance was so energetic and right on!! GO VICCI!!!

June 22, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Timothy

I think Dia and Vicky rocked it last night. I also enjoyed Javier and Frechies performances as well. It us real tought to decide sometimes they are all very talented. I did think Casey's song felt a bit flat. That would be my only critisism.

June 22, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Millie Bea

People- Frenchie is not that good- she frequrently is sharp, or off-key.. OK- she can sing loud. Woo. I don't get why people are so gaga over her.

Vicci is fantastic. What's this dark horse stuff- she's been the front runner from the first show.
    Bev was good.
    Dia was good.
    Javier- good- but for Chr**t's sake, straighten out the cap- drives me crazy to see a grown man dress like that.
    Casey was OK.
    Xenia- deer in the headlights.
    Nakia- there are a million of him

June 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • luvtasing

Millie, get your ears checked ASAP–Frenchie was not flat,sharp or pitchy–she naaailed the song, has amazing breath control,range and sang it with real depth, sang it perfectly–i am a singer myself, Frenchie is a singer's singer
      so what really bothers you about Frenchie mmmm–search your soul

June 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  29. sam

The best were Frenchie & Beverly, unfortunately same team and one must go. Love Xenia's voice but didn't like performance. Dia is ok, nothing special. Love Vicci too, but was not wowed by her song, though cool performance. Overall, last night's show fell flat for me.

June 22, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Veronica

Beverly and Vicki were by far the best!! They both rocked it out. Dia came in 3rd last night. I have no idea why they let Casey sing "I Will Always Love You" terrible song choice and terrible performance.

June 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ÄŁÈXÅ ŠHÆ

This show revolves around the performers voices, and I feel the best, most unique voice on this show is Dia.
    Everyone has there own taste in music, and so that means that no one is going to agree on who should win. Some say Vicci, some say Xenia, and some say Casey. All eight artist have fans and all eight artist have talent. But, from what it shows on iTunes, either Dia Frampton or Javier Colon are going to win it all.

June 22, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  32. charlie crack

Dude kicked the piano bench like a girl! The little girl that they told not to sound like "whitney" is just ridiculous....how? Have a shaky voice like dolly? Adam levine shouldn't have made her so monotone. Ruined her song. Frenchie talks too much like she is a judge....shut up sing and take off those awful earrings. Bamm!

June 22, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  33. ceily

some one needs to help zsa zsa gabor, because she has a nut for a husband

June 22, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  34. Jomama

Love, love, love Vicci Martinez!!!!!!

June 22, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  35. Renee

I don't understand the fuss around Dia. Her voice isn't good and even though I'm sure she is a nice girl, she is not memorable.

June 22, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  36. 2cupsofjoe

I saw some parts of the voice last night and dia and casey both sucked. I was embarrassed for Casey. She sang that whitney song so bad that I thought the judges would have been tougher. Dia tried to hard to be different that it was just bad. I didn't see the guys perform, but those girls are not going to win.

June 22, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  37. T

Beverly has a great voice but I just can't get over those tattoos on her neck plus she would scare me if I met her on the street. I like tattoos but never ever on a a neck. This show was perfect for her though.

June 22, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • One Term Obama

Yep. Neck tats–especially on a woman–are just nasty.

June 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • myvoice

Agreed. Killer B is hard to look at, but you have to admit that her enthusiasm on the stage is infectious. She puts every ounce of heartache in her life into a single song. She is "real." Think about Britney Spears and others who are photo shopped and computerized. It is refreshing to hear and see a real person.

June 22, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Bradly D

Dia was TERRIBLE. Just awful! My stomach almost lost dinner! bad Dia bad....
    Frenchie was GREAT – In your face American Idol.......
    Blake is very creepy.....

June 22, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  39. Joey Tomatoes

Javier is by far and away the best singer on the show, although that song choice was a little odd for me... much more of an R&B voice, I would know, I have his first 2 albums. Go Javier!!!

June 22, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Rodney

Javier is by far not the best singer on that show.....totally disagree!

June 22, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  40. cece

Am I the only person who doesn't see what is so special about Dia? I mean, she's a decent singer but I don't think she is great or anywhere near the level of Vicci, Javier, Beverly, or Frenchy. Just my opinion.

June 22, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • becka

Yeah, I agree. I don't get the Dia thing either. What bothers me the most is her lack of any kind of personality. She barely even acknowledges or thanks the judges for kind comments. I mean there's quite & shy (like Xenia), but this borders on rude. I think she's got to seriously work on that, and I don't honestly really care for her voice.

June 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  41. harvey

Hi Peace and @N and BV and everyone. I hope yall are having a happy week. For some reason all the good regulars are missing. Even Ted and SunshineGIrl. Hopefully everyone is at the beach having a happy vacation.

June 22, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  42. jason

Dia has something special I haven't seen since Kurt cobain......It's been fun watching this show and these last performers rock!

June 22, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  43. Mike in Montana

No doubt in my mind or anybody else in the house, including the coaches. Vicci Martinez stole the show and stage last night.. There is more to this young lady that what meets the eye, including her talent to sing and perform on stage. As much as I love Xenia, like Blake does.., Xenia looked scare and out of place. Very unique voice for this young lady and I think, Xenia will have her own loyal fans for years to come. NBC has a hit and they know it.. Can't wait until tonight and lets see what happens. Mike in Montana

June 22, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  44. AAvery

I liked Frenchie's performance. Her voice is powerful. Go Dia, Javier, and Vicci!

June 22, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  45. Reel Big Fish

"Sellout with me oh ya, sellout with me tonight. The record company's going to give me lots of money – and everything will be allright"

June 22, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Reel Big Fish is a group that had zero talent and just rode the coattails of the very brief ska movement of the early 90's. They were a bunch of nobodies that at least summed up their situation well in the only song they had that ever mattered.

June 22, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • ralph

If a band does NOT go with a record company they will never make any money. So if being successful is selling out, why not?

June 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  46. M. A. Salazar

Vikki's performance was good, the vocals.. not so great.

Dia all the way!

June 22, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • One Term Obama

Exactly. Strip away the loud music, drums, big hair and costumes and Vicci's voice just wasn't that good. She was entertaining and seems like a nice person but she's definitely not "The Voice."

June 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  47. justmeebee

Did they just tell us who the final 4 were???!?

"Of the remaining four artists from Team Christina (Beverly McClellan), Team Cee Lo (Vicci Martinez), Team Adam (Javier Colon) and Team Blake (Xenia), only one had the breakout performance of the night and that belonged to the delightful Vicci Martinez."

June 22, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • M. A. Salazar

no. it was meaning it towards the last performances of the night.

June 22, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Uhh...no, genius. They mentioned who the OTHER 4 artists were in the very first paragraph of the article. ADD much??

June 22, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

I think he was referring to the other four that he had not reviewed in the article already...his remainders. He already mentioned Frenchie, Nakia, Dia, and Casey.

June 22, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |

I like onions

June 22, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  51. floyd

Tracie is disturbeddd.

June 22, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  52. mitch

I think the first girl singer did really good. I hope she goes all the way.

June 22, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Mare

Xenia is amazing – but she's so frightened; no one's voice can match hers.

June 22, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |