June 21st, 2011

'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Is Tracy Morgan's Nashville apology enough?

“30 Rock” star Tracy Morgan has been on an apology tour since his homophobic rant at his Nashville concert on June 3rd.

Today he went back to Nashville to officially apologize alongside a spokesperson from GLAAD and Kevin Rogers, the man who attended that concert and broke the news about Tracy’s comments.

Tonight, we have an exclusive "Showbiz Tonight" newsmaker interview where we ask Kevin Rogers if he thinks Tracy’s apology today was enough. What do you think? Post below.

We're also going to be talking about the race to replace Regis Philbin! In a new report, three people have been named as frontrunners to replace Regis on “Live with Regis and Kelly": Kelly Ripa’s husband Mark Consuelos, Ryan Seacrest and Andy Cohen.

I really like Mark for the job. He’s always terrific when he fills in, you certainly can’t beat the chemistry between Mark and his wife and he just happens to be a nice guy. I’d love to see him get the gig.

Who do you think is the best choice to take Regis’ place? Let me know below and call me at "Showbiz on Call" –888-SBT-BUZZ.

Also, "Showbiz Tonight’s" Jill Simonian has a revealing "Showbiz" newsmaker interview with Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks about their new film “Larry Crowne.” One of the questions Jill is asking Julia and Tom: Would they still be actors if they had to do it all over again?

See you exclusively tonight at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN!

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. Charlena

Tired of the double standard where black people always get off the hook – for their prejudices, philandering, killing dogs – whatever. When Michael Richards is allowed stand-up again for using the N word ONCE, then let this fool work again for saying he would knife and kill the "F" people.

June 22, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. madgefudger

can we leave Tracy alone? For God's sake, how many times does he need to say he is sorry? I am gay, and I was offended by what he said, but it was in a club, and it was supposed to be a joke, not what he really thinks. Bad joke, not funny and hurtful, granted, but this guy isn't a monster for saying crap. He apologized several times already. Let him be and go back to doing what he does with a new perspective. I am sure he is learning from all this. But, sincerely, I am tired of the topic being brought up over and over. We all learned a lesson or two, now it is time to move on.

June 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Flex

He apologized. It's time to move on.

June 22, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. richard

I know this man, was it a dumb comment, yes. Does he deserve to be forgiven? Yes!

Isn't there enough hatred and toxicity these days?

Let it go folks.

June 22, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Scorpio

We've been laughing at your crap for centuries now laugh at yourself freak.

June 22, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mike P

And if any White comedian made jokes about Blacks, Watermelon, Fried Chicken, and Colored People Time – THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT WOULD END.

WHY couldn't Black people laugh those jokes off – like they say Gay people should???

June 22, 2011 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Kitty

Yeah let's laugh at the white people how they screw their animals, eat people, serial killers, Meth smokers, sniff hair spay, paint, detergents, get high off of hanging themselves for a rush, amazing what great laughter we can get behind the craziness of white people! lmao!!!!!!!1

June 22, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlena

Political correctness gone too far. What black people dont realize is that by showing their intolerance to others, they alone will keep racism alive.

June 22, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. herman sherman

The death of freedom of speech.

June 22, 2011 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Maire

I think it's ridiculous he had to apologize in the first place. Comedians say comparable things in their routines all the time. This sham apology tour is just the gay groups flexing their ever-stronger political muscle to make an example out of a celebrity.

June 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tammi

No matter how many times he apologizes It will never be enough for some.

June 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mmmmm

i dont think he really insulted anyone. all of my LGBT friends are incredible and can really take a joke. they put up with me. . . that says alot!

June 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Verne

Come on guys. He's a comedian. There are tons of comedians who say worse things, and make even more taboo jokes. The LGBT community just want more media attention...

June 21, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jen

Mark's the hot one ,he's got my vote. .

June 21, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Come on

How come there's no parking for midgets? You ever notice that? Not one spot in the f-ing mall for midgets. Unbelievable. You want to know why? 'Cause there's no telethon for midgets. Nobody gives a f-ck. The kind of humidity you get in Manhattan during the summer... by the time you even get to the front doors of the mall, they're passing out. You've got to p-iss on them to revive them. And I love midgets with those pumpkin heads, little bug legs. I never f-cked one, I'll admit that. But I would do it. They're people. So they're a little light, all right. So, so you stick 'em on your d-ick, you can shave, shower, they don't get in the way. You throw 'em in a drawer when you're done. "Yeah, use my socks as a pillow honey." "Wait, a mouse went under the table, get the f-cker." Could you imagine being a maitre d at a fancy restaurant and a couple midgets come in for dinner? What do you say? “Table for, ugh, I don't know, f-ck, three quarters?" Midgets, man. What do they do when a midget is missing? Put 'em on the back of a container of Half & Half?"

June 21, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jillmarie

I'm going to respond to the Regis and Kelly question- I'd love for Mark Consuelos to get the gig. Him and Kelly are great together! Ryan Seacrest is great, but he's very busy doing other things. My vote's for Mark!

June 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Come on

whyd he apologize?
    people these days cant hear/see anything without having to take it out of context,. It was a comedy show. Wonders who would complain if "RAW" was filmed in this era

"Rub a Dub Dub
    Three men in a tub.
    F-ck this sht it's g@y."

thats what I say to Kevin Rodgers

June 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Tom Selleck

Free mustache ride!

June 21, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. dave nelson

I think CORA LDS is really Peace.

June 21, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. jen

Yes it 's enough he's already apologized several times previously, by his going back to Nashville I believe in his sincerity.

June 21, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. fernace

I forgot to put in my 2 cents about the Regis replacement, so here goes: Mark Consuelos, hands down! He's handsome, works greatwith his wife (since they starred on All My Children, together)& if he & kelly feel it wont be too much to handle, he is the perfect choice! Ryan Seacrest is goodlooking & professional, but there is something about him that turns me off. He seems uncomfortable, as if he's suffering fools. Mark & Kelly are the perfect team!!

June 21, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  20. RRMom

Why is an apology even necessary? It was a comedic bit and it was at a comedy show. It isn't like he was at a grocery store and started saying what he said. We grew up watching Eddie Murphy, Redd Foxx and Richard Pryor saying FAR WORSE things. When did everyone lose their backbone?! Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Political Correctness is KILLING ME!

June 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabe

Here's my take on his comedy routine: "If my son brought home a black fiance, I would make her pick the cotton out back before she could come in the house and do my dishes. Then I'd shoot my son in the face before I shackled her to keep her away from the watermelon." Hey – it's only comedy!

June 23, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  21. We can rebuild him, make him better than he was before

Not enough as he isnt sincere and never planned on being sincere. Just going thru the motions.

June 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • WALTER MILLER

first of its comedy he is a comedian they talk about fat people,they talk about skinny people, they talk about the guy in the front row with the loud ugly suit, they talk about the only white couple or black couple in the audience, they talk about the suicide bomber who blew himself up early and so much more but god forbid you make a joke about someone gay. wow!! what a world if you don't like it turn the channel don't get your panties in a bunch.

June 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • walter miller

actually i lost all respect for him for coming out and doing that i don't even think i will watch anything that he is involved with cause i think going out and apologizing was stupid and why should he have to

June 21, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  22. fernace

He's going to great lengths to appologize, & show people he's sincere. That should be the end of the controversy! If some people want to keep it going, that's on them, Morgan has nothing to do with it!

June 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • clem

If Tracy-Girl were sincere he would have film many sessions with some of his new found gay fuddgepacking Stinkee eating fools.

June 21, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  23. The Måd Ræp3r

Yes its enough. It was a bit that went awry and he's said he's sorry. People say far worse every day and get away with not even apologizing since we've become too PC to confront them about their gibberish, unless someone else speaks up first.

June 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • iggy

It will be enough when Tracy has drank a some gay and lesbean doodee shakes directly from the source.

June 21, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • ButteryComp

Seriously... I did not know him until a few months ago... I ran across one of his HBO comedy show... Hell he has many Feminine charcteristics and I swore he was at the least Bi.... But He did this one joke about gays being sensitive and if they could take it up the u-no-what then they should not have a problem with his jokes.... He's funny and he should not over do the remorse thing... Gays need to stop being babies... He's an entertainer not a skin-head... give the man a break!!!

June 22, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Charlena

He is bi – thats his prolem. Just ask Chris Rock!

June 22, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |