'Mad Men's' Joan wasn't supposed to be sexy
June 20th, 2011

'Mad Men's' Joan wasn't supposed to be sexy

She sizzles on the small screen as ravishing redhead Joan Harris, but Christina Hendricks claims her "Mad Men" character was never meant to be sexy.

"When we did the pilot, that was not something that we discussed as a trait for Joan," she tells Parade magazine. "This is something that's developed as a combination of the costuming on the show, the hair and makeup, my portrayal of the role, and Matt's writing. It all kind of came together and that became much more of a focus later. It was just something the audience brought attention to."

Meanwhile, Hendricks may be lending her famous curves to the costume of a very different character: Wonder Woman. According to Vulture, Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn is hoping to helm a big-screen action film about the Amazing Amazon and wants Hendricks to play the heroine. "If I ever get to do it, she's going to be it," he says.

For her part, Hendricks is certainly game. "I've been wanting to wear that outfit my whole life!" she has said. "I'd love to [do it]. That would be such fun!"

1. charles

Agreed that she does need to lose weight for the role. Christina Hendricks would just be one fat mess of bouncing boobs.

June 22, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Klaus

I am imagining her in the wonder woman outfit right now.... Running in slow motion chasing bad guys... Nice

I would see that movie multiple times if she was in it!

June 22, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. T

She would be wrong for Wonder Woman and the reason is the heroine, Diana / WW is perfect from head to toe but is not that EXTREMELY well blessed, chestwise BUT she would be absolutely perfect to play Power Girl of the J.S.A. (Justice Society of America), if she'll like to go blonde for this role.

Hey, Fanboys and Fangirls, what do you think of this idea ? A JSA team movie with Hendricks as Power Girl ?

June 22, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Jon

I don't know what world you live in, but I don't live in one where Hollywood is going to make a movie with Power Girl. They can't even get a working formula for Superman!

June 22, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tammi

She is beautiful...Wonder Woman is suppose to be beautiful...enough said!

June 21, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mmmmm

ok

June 21, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pamela

Posted on AWESOME! I have a fail that sort of reminds me of your doll! I have to take a pucrite tonight! I *tried* to make a bear for my little lady (using old sweater parts, buttons, etc). The end result: pitiful! I ended up tying a tiny scarf around his neck and told her his name was Business Bear . She thought he was the best thing ever! ha! Good thing she's only two!

August 13, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. fernace

Actually, the 70's TV show Wonder Woman featured Lynda Carter, who was well known for her ample endowment. Christina Hendricks might be the right choice despite the nay sayers. Also, I think a WW movie will have a better reception than the series. It worked in the 70's but doesn't translate well to the 21'st century!

June 21, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mona

I wish I had that body Very nice.

June 21, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. etta sandwich

Those hindquarters and butt probably look like a big red outhouse.

June 21, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. Flex

She actually has a very nice figure. Her MadMen costumes are all padded to make her look bigger. The first time I saw a picture of her not in costume, I didn't even realize it was her.

June 21, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kelly, you must be ugly

Kelly care to explain why she is not considered hot? Just because she doesn't have a figure of a guy like you doesn't mean she is ugly.

June 21, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kelly

Stupid to even go there with this movie. You have to be a drunk stupid man to even think she is hot.

June 21, 2011 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. skidd

they cancelled the show not the movie

June 21, 2011 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. donnie

I thought they cancelled the WW project. Must have changed their minds.

June 21, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Simon and Buttfunkel

Being with her, that big rumpus room and those big cans might make one of us turn strait.

June 21, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. Rebecca

She doesn't need to lose anything! She is just lovely. Would love to see her don black hair for Wonder Woman.

June 21, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
    • massimo

it is nice to read a comment about a beautiful woman by a woman not threatened by that woman's beauty. She is more than beautiful. And, I agree she would make a very good Wonder Woman. But, I must say Linda Carter was incredible. Ms. Hendricks has the same innocent beauty.

June 22, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. charlie crack

Hot! Plain Hot!

June 20, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  16. yuck

Christina Hendricks as Wonder Woman? Gross. She needs to lose some weight first. Wonder Woman wasn't known for big boobs...oh well, I guess that's how Hollywood dumbs down the comic book heroine.

June 20, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • RickZ

Speaknig for the majority of the straight male demogrphic. Yes she was known for big boobs.

June 21, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • T.O.Biff

Are you "differently challenged" or whatever the politically correct way to say mentally retarded?

June 21, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  17. The Måd Ræp3r

I <3 pale women with red hair.

June 20, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. fernace

Yes, it's all due to costumes, dialouge & lighting! And I'm sure her double D cups had nothing to do with it!

June 20, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |