Daniel Radcliffe: J.K. Rowling's Pottermore is a mystery to me
June 20th, 2011

Daniel Radcliffe: J.K. Rowling's Pottermore is a mystery to me

Harry Potter fans aren't the only ones wondering what J.K. Rowling has planned for her new Pottermore Web site — even star Daniel Radcliffe has been left in the dark.

“I know nothing about that whatsoever,” Radcliffe tells the L.A. Times of the site, which features two owls, Rowling's signature, and a "Coming Soon" teaser touting the author's June 23 announcement about her new venture. “I’m sure that Jo will be writing a lot more in the coming years. I’m sure she has a lot more in her than we’ve read and a lot more stories to tell. As long as they don’t involve Harry, I’m quite happy to buy them."

Radcliffe, currently starring on Broadway in "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying," adds that he has no interest in reprising his role as the world's most famous boy wizard after "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" wraps up the film franchise in July.

"I don't know, the idea of going back to something after 10 or 20 years? At that point, I will have worked 20 years to establish a career outside of it," he explains, "and at that point to go back to it would feel a little self-defeating.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Harry Potter • movies

1. yamaha yzf r6

I believe this is one of the such a lot vital info for me. And i am glad reading your article. However wanna remark on few general things, The site taste is great, the articles is actually excellent : D. Excellent job, cheers

April 13, 2012 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Wicho

I think that it was a smart move for them to decide to make Deathly Hallows a two-part movie. As a huge fan of the nvoels, I felt that GoF and OotP were a bit of a disappointment compared to the nvoels because so much of the stories were edited out due to time constraints. DH is an fantastic book that covered so much ground that the only practical thing to do would be to do a two-part film. The reveals alone were absolutely astounding! Especially in the last four chapters; everything that I though I knew (or at least had formed my own opinions) about in regards to certain main characters and what their actual motivations were throughout the series was shown in a totally different light. J.K. Rowling's brilliant approach in allowing her readers to view things from a different perspective completely turned me upside down and pleasantly surprised me with how she chose to end the series. It was a sheer stroke of genius on her part, at least in my opinion. Hopefully the films will really do the novel the justice it deserves, as both an in-depth look at all of the amazing plot twists and turns and also as an on the edge of your seat entertainment venue as the novel was for me while I was reading DH. I am really looking forward for when the final two films come it because I definitely have a feeling that the film versions are going to be as amazing as the actual novel.

March 13, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. muskrat7041

Rowling doesn't have to continue her stories about the Wizarding world, by using Harry as the main character. Personally, I would like to see a set of stories built around Teddy Lupin, Remus and Tonk's little boy. He's half werewolf, and although he hasn't shown any signs of lycanthropy at age 11, there can always be a possiblity of him developing it in puberty. There's a whole underworld of plotlines waiting in Rowlings world, ripe for the taking. It would be a shame to leave that environment behind, since she's spent so much of her time working on it. Perhaps Pottermore is a way of her gauging what fans would really like to see. She can study their fanfiction, and learn more about her fans, then publish something tailor made for us.

July 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tommy

No. There are a lot of sites where you can read, for free, books that are in the public doamin, but you won't find any Harry Potter books there. J K Rowling holds the copyright and is still making money on them!Why don't you go to your local library; if it isn't there, you can order it for free. Failing that, many of the big bookshops are selling the older Harry Potter books at reduced rates now that the excitement has worn off and everyone has their copy!Good luck, and I hope you find it.References :

March 14, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. AMathematician HeAint

"...I will have worked 20 years to establish a career outside of it." With "it" being the Harry Potter franchise and DR being only 21 years of age that would make him one year old when he began his effort to shake the whole Harry Potter thing. Maybe he *really* is a wizzard?

June 28, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. Alix

I can't wait to see what else Daniel will do in his acting career. I thoroughly enjoyed him as Harry Potter; he not only looked the part, but his acting was superb. Those films were the stepping off point to a great career.

And...I know I wouldn't go back to any previous jobs I've ever had, even the ones I really enjoyed. Those days are gone, these days are here now.

June 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Elaine

Daniel gave us many years of enjoyment as HP and why wouldn't we want to wish him the best and spread his wings and move on to better things for his career.

June 21, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. John

There's a youtube link in that page.
    The mystery is over in about a day and a half.

June 21, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Troy

Danial Radcliffe is the new Leonard Nimoy is you know what I mean.

June 21, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jessie

I I have a feeling that Jo is going to do something with Owls. Maybe she will do a story about what it is like to be an Owl in
    the Wizarding World. Maybe she will do a story about how owls get to be magical and get the very important job of delivering messages. I think it would work. There are probably some important Owls that have little adventures of their own, and mean wizards trying to kill them or stop them, and other hazards like stray dragons and other magical creatures trying to eat them. It could be fun.

June 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dave nelson

@alex you may very well be right. I have heard that there is a lot of information that rowling has never released, and some things that were revealed one bit at a time along the way. For instance, i hear tell she had made a genealogy regarding harry that showed his relation to not only the brothers of the deathly hallows, but also to tom riddle. I would have to see for myself before i say that it is a fact. No telling what else she has in a dusty trunk somewhere.

June 21, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Alex

Radcliffe, Watson and Grint gave us a perfect 11-year run of films, that told a complete story. There is no need to them to ever have to reprise the roles. To do so might lessen the work they've done. I fully expect Rowling will expand the Potterverse to include more characters – I'm sure she has a Simarillion-style "bible" in her – but there's no need for her to continue with Harry directly. I'm sure whatever Pottermore ends up being, it'll be cool. I think it's going to be an online version of her long-promised encyclopedia. Or maybe a "Lost Tales of Middle Earth"-style thing featuring chapters and material cut from the books.

June 20, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. charlie crack

J.K Rowling is rich....absolutely a rich author....she's got a conglomerate that will never end.

June 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dave nelson

I also wish to apologize for what happened on the other blog. That kevin guy just got on my last nerve. I should have ignored him. Sorry.

June 20, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dave nelson

I am curious to know what rowling has planned. Guess we will all find out soon enough. I cant remember who said it, but i agree that we have not seen the last of rowling, and i have no doubt that what follows will be worth waiting for. The lady has a wonderful imagination and a knack for the written word. I wish i could do that with even a quarter of the talent. I do ok with funny poems, cheesy song parodies, and the occasional short story, but they are only good enough for family and friends. To be honest, i think even they cut me a lot of slack so as to not be rude. Lol

June 20, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dave nelson

Come on guys. Give daniel a break. He is young and has a whole world outside harry potter to experience. There have been other actors in tv and movies who did the same thing, then had a change of heart later in life. He grew up in a fishbowl that consisted largely of this character. He wants to see what else is out there. Who are any of us to condemn him for that? After all, how many of you out there would want to stay in the same room for your entire life? Maybe not the best analogy, but still... And i really wish people would leave the whole gay bashing thing in their own heads. My sister is gay, and she is a great person. Emma watson mentioned once that she would not mind dating daniel but he already had a girlfriend, so there you have it. Open your heart before you open your mouth and the world may just become a better place for it. Was that too bullying, mad?

June 20, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. daniel

I dont like that Weezly girl. She has red hair.

June 20, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. ?

Everybody has to start somewhere. As for Rowling and new story lines, well it will probably begin with Harry's children at Hogwarts. You know, the kids he has with that Weezley girl.

June 20, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. reno

@ha! I think you missed the point of what I was saying. Daniel got to start out his career at age 10 as a superstar, and is part of one of the most lucrative movie franschises ever. From now on, he is gonna have to work his a$$ off, as he should...I never said he shouldn't. But to make comments like "I never want to play Harry again" is downright sad and arrogant. He should leap at the chance of reprising his role as harry given the chance. As for lohan, come on she was good in Parent Trap...haha

June 20, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Miguel

you spelled it wrong. it is spelled mormon. not moron. you left out the m.

June 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. gah

i think the 3 main characters all want to establish themselves out of the Potter world. The adult actors that starred in the film mostly were known for other things, not just Potter. For Daniel, Rupert, and Emma, however, Potter was their first big break. If acting is what Daniel wants as a career, I don't blame him for wanting to distance himself. If he doesn't, he'll have to go find a plan B because he can't go back to flipping burgers (to use the McD's analogy) since you can't pass for a teenage boy forever.

June 20, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Joel

While I do understand why Harry would want to distance himself, I feel he jumped the gun. No one knows what the future project is about and who knows where his career will be years from now.

June 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

And here you have given a shining example of a big reason he wants to move on. People calling him Harry and not his actual name, Daniel.

June 21, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Miguel

He es some gay boy from england. Well, not really. Harry Potter is cool. The actor that plays him is some annoying whiny gay british boy.

June 20, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jeff O

What did I miss? Who the hell is Harry Potter?

June 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Rose

It irritates me that he is even asked his about non-movie HP items. Harry Potter is a series of books that he happened to poorly represent (he doesn't look like Harry) in movie adaptations. Future HP products do not involve him. If a new story was developed with HP, a new actor, who more closely fits the description, could easily be found. He is Daniel Radcliff an actor who happened to play the part in movies, when the contact ends so does his involvement. Why would Daniel Radcliff know or have any influence on what JK Rowling choses to do with her career?

June 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  25. ha!

Reno-lol! You never hearing about Equus just speaks to your level of awareness and education. And are you really criticizing someone for NOTjust sitting on their lazy asses and actually trying to do something with their adult career? I bet you like Lindsay Lohan's work. Lol. I'm still laughing!

June 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  26. trollop

you are 100 percent correct reno. when the harry potter series is over so is his career. he is a funny looking british boy. what parts could he play? maybe he could take Mr. Beans place.

June 20, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Did half you people even read the article? He been on the stage now for quite a few years now. Doing plays. Working. On things other than movies. Getting paid. A job.

June 20, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  27. reno

Seriously, that McDonalds analogy is horrible. I think you have it backwards. It would be like starting out as manager, working for 15 years, get thrown back down to burger flipper....I think he would jump at the chance to be manager again. Harry Potter is what made him famous, he should embrace it and run with it. If it wasn't for potter, then he would just be that naked wierdo in that one play that nobody has ever heard of. Anything he does after potter is going to be a step down, and thats a fact.

June 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  28. lizabeth

guhroooss ! nekked hairy potter. i always thought he was a little light in the loafers.

June 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Stephen

I think he has 'grown past' Harry Potter. Anyone can find pictures of him nude online in a play he did a few years ago. I don't blame him for not wanting to further the Harry Potter character, he's no longer 14.

June 20, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Arnold Schwarzenegger

I thought this was in regards to the Harry Pooter movie. I really enjoyed that film.

June 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Adan

Yeah, as long as they don't have anything to do with the one thing that made you a successful actor with boat loads of money. I love when stars loathe their characters that opened up all these doors for them.

June 20, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adan

That said, I wouldn't look at my resume and decide to go back to work for any of my old employers in a previous capacity.

June 20, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scroooge

Well, try this for perspective: You start your working career at McD's. 15 years later, You're the President of some company. Now imagine having to go back to flipping burgers.. it's what got you started, but not really what you wanna go back to doing.

June 20, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dani

Okay. Potter made him very successful and yes, he made "boatloads of money." But why should he have to go back to what made him famous? Doesn't Daniel have a right to act in other things besides Potter? Daniel doesn't want to be known for just Harry Potter. He'd be type cast forever as Harry if he did that. Daniel is a terrific actor and he should branch off to other projects. He did Potter for 10 years, now it's iime to move forward and make boatloads of momey doing some other projects.

June 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

I don't think he meant any disrespect by the comment. He obviously has respect for J.K. Rowling and has always been very engaged in promoting the Harry Potter series. But he's done with it now. He's done filming and he's set his sights elsewhere and he probably wants people to ask him more questions about what he's working on now then what he's worked on for the last decade. If you think about it, he had to grow up BEING Harry Potter – all the time. He didn't have as many opportunities to just be himself – its kind of amazing that he even seems to have a good idea of who he really is. And yeah, he got boat loads of money from it and no doubt he's grateful. I think he just wants people to see him, the real Daniel Radcliffe, not Harry Potter. I can understand that – most people just want people to see them, understand them and like them for who they are. That's hard enough when you're not recognized worldwide as a fictional character.

June 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • nightsun2k7

@ Scroooge
      however, if McD's paid me millions of dollars a year i'd go back in a heart beat

June 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brewgoat

I hear what everyone is saying but I have to disagree. Acting is different than flipping burgers and each role is different. What Daniel is trying to say is he wants to be known for more than Harry Potter. He wants to be taken seriously. That is good because it will push him to do more creative work than someone like Dakota Fanning who started out doing serious work and has seemed to languish.

Give him 20 years, some age, some wisdom, and the one the confidence to not care what anyone says or thinks about you. Oh and one last thing that all us old people seem to want, nostalgia for the things we had and did not appreciate.

June 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mcas34

Yeah. It can't possibly suck to be known as "The kid from The Sixth Sense" or "Newt from Aliens" or "Winnie Cooper" or Lindsey Lohan for the rest of your life... They're mega rich, but how would you like random idiots constantly spouting your catch phrase at you for the rest of your life or directors not wanting the star giving a "Harry Potter" vibe to the movie? Radcliff had to go off-broadway for work, Grint is doing bit parts in cheesy B-movies, and Watson try to go drag to duck recognition. Have some pity, man!

June 30, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  32. shanna

I hope that bully dave nelson doesnt start picking on everyone.

June 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Name*Ben

It was fun watching Daniel grow up. It will be even better as he grows past Harry potter

June 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  34. ivoen debee

I like it

June 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jo

Hmm, lets see, a ten year old named "lizbeth" and "daniel" who never learned to spell. Okay, your opinions on others character will be highly valued.

June 20, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  36. denise

Trolls are especially precious when their inflammatory statements are grammatical catastrophes. Nicely done, moron.

June 20, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |