Amy Winehouse added to the list of biggest boos
June 20th, 2011

Amy Winehouse added to the list of biggest boos

The people have spoken: That's enough, Amy Winehouse.

The British singer arrived about an hour late to her concert in Belgrade, Serbia, only to fumble through her lyrics and get booed off the stage. Subsequently, her rep told CNN that the next two tour dates of her 12-stop European tour have been canceled.

In a statement to EW.com, Winehouse's publicist said, "She would like to apologize to fans expecting to see her at the shows, but feels that this is the right thing to do."

Winehouse joins the ranks of stars like Ashlee Simpson and Kanye West, who audiences love to hate. Here are some of the top-ranking failures... or perhaps the best boos:

Ashlee Simpson

Simpson's shrieking - er, singing - at the 2005 Orange Bowl halftime show didn't exactly get a warm reception. As her performance came to a close, Simpson was overwhelmed with boos rather than applause.

Nickelback

Apparently Nickelback isn't very popular in Portugal - at least, not at the band's 2009 show where concert-goers supplemented vocal negativity by pelting the performers with rocks and wine bottles.

Kanye West

Following his infamous interruption Of Taylor Swift at the Video Music Awards in 2010, West received a cruel welcome at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Not only did West get booed, but the crowds shouted Swift's name as well.

Usher

Germany just wasn't Usher's jam. The R&B singer postponed his performance, telling the Berlin audience at a 2011 concert that he wasn't feeling well. And at his rescheduled show the next night, he delivered a less than stellar presentation, resulting in boos. He walked off the stage and his show was cut short.

Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino

The definition of a roast implies somebody's going to get humiliated, but when "Jersey Shore" personality Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino started in on Donald Trump, the audience was outraged.

Beyoncé

She's an acclaimed performer, but when the songstress and husband Jay-Z walked the red carpet at the 2011 Met Gala in New York, the crowd was less than enthused.

Charlie Sheen

How ironic that the star who coined the hashtag #winning garnered some of the biggest boos of all-time at his stop in Detroit.

Post by:
Filed under: Beyonce • Charlie Sheen • Music

1. WE DONT LOVE TO HATE WE JUST HATE!

who audiences love to hate..... really cnn???? we dont love to hate. WE REALLY HATE THEM THEY ALL SUCK ASS!

July 11, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Xanatos

BIG LOUD BOOOOOO to the all the pop music of today in each and every genre. Thank goodness for XM satelite radio. It's worth the price to have a much larger COMMERCIAL FREE selection of music from 70's & 80's retro funk banks (remember them?) to real jazz (not that crappy generic smooth jazz as it's called), to great classic rock, not this BS that considered rock by todays lesser standards, to chill, lounge, spa, classical and much more that's not heard on regular FMLradio. Stations that allow you, the listener to discover different non-main stream voices that deliver great music without trying to be trendy, top selling, fashionista pop singers. I haven't listened to FM radio in more than 10 years. Don't miss it one bit. This generation next, or what ever the hell they call themselves don't have a clue....all glitz on the surface with no talent underneath......BIG LOUD BOOOOOO

July 6, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pliny

Since when is Amy Winehouse a 'celebrity'?

July 5, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. HypnoToad

Winehouse...feh. Why does anyone care? If she checked into rehab permanently she'd be replaced in about two minutes by the next dame in a loooong line of marginally talented kids...but chances are they wouldn't be nearly as homely as she.

June 21, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. andy

nickelback should be booed every day

overrated pop rock

June 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Don Jones

Amy puts the "boo" in booze.

June 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dave W.

OH. Biggest "BOOs"! No "B" on the end. BOOS. Well damn, that's not nearly as interestesting.

June 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MrsHilla

You guys forgot Destiny's being LOUDLY booed in Philadelphia during the Finals against the Lakers.

June 21, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. bighulawood

Did you say 12-stop tour or 12-step tour?

June 21, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. Zena

Thank you chuck-we may be percieved as old but we know music. I do listen to select tracks today but I have more variation and I dont have to listen to the music of today. Its a choice-I know of the bands you speak and I love them all. because I am appreciative of music!

June 21, 2011 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kevin Motay

Isn't this almost performance art? We celebrated this woman's being damaged beyond beleif, now we are going to call her out on it?

June 21, 2011 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. dave nelson

Ok. I listened to the rehab song. Not the words so much as the voice. I could tell she could be a serious singer if she chose to do so. A bit bluesy. Good range and pitch. Nice vocal control. She forces just a bit. Needs to let it flow word naturally, but otherwise, she has what it takes to become one of the greats. It is a shame to waste such talent. I take back part of what i said. I now see the appeal. Still dont care much for the womans choices. I hope she gets it together.

June 21, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. Charlie Sheen

Why would I be the most booed because if you haven't recognized I'm (winning)!!

June 21, 2011 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. brandi

It wasnt usher's fault he was sick!!!! gosh!!!!!!

June 21, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. RusTnuts

I like Amy and think she's got more natural talent then most but she just keeps phuking up. Oh well, she was in Serbia...lucky she didn't get shot a few dozen times.

June 21, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tank

@chuck inman: i wish i were alive to watch performances and hear the music live back in those days. I listen to a lot of it now and it is amazing music. There are a lot of talented ppl in all genres today but most of what gets played on the radio is garbage. I envy you for what you have had the privalige (spelling??) of hearing and seeing!! Must have been amazing stuff!!

June 21, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  17. dave nelson

Never thought much of the woman. Never saw the appeal.

June 20, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. joe

Beyonce is such an ugly cow. I love the footage of where she falls down the stairs on stage. Awesome stuff.

June 20, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andy

You want her and cant' have here. Sucks to be you.

June 21, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • booboo

i have to agree (except for the falling). i think beyonce is overrated and overexposed. i don't like her music or her look.
      she always tries to look so sultry. how about a smile now and then

July 3, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  19. charlie crack

Boos, booze?....boos booze.....? Ahhhh whatever!

June 20, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  20. JanetMermaid

Where are the REAL performers - the ones I watched on TV as a kid. They could sing, dance, do comedy, do drama, and they had TALENT. They were also respectful and appreciative of the audience. They never showed up drunk or on drugs. So much "talent" today is tabloid fodder and not much more. They can only sing with an autotune, they can't play a single instrument, they're all alcoholics or on drugs. And they are rude and disrespectful. *sigh* Oh, Carol Burnett, Gene Kelly, Tony Bennett, Liza Minnelli, Bette Middler.... WHERE ARE YOU!!!

June 20, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  21. aj

Even michael jackson got booed!

June 20, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Chuck Inman

Rock stars use do have class. or they were managed by classy people. I have followed rock and pop since almost the beginning and these last 20 years there has been pure garbage in the Top 40 music scene. It was great to see musicians who looked the part but if you know rock history most of them not only graduated high school but were in college. We have stupid clowns, pure junkies, and much more I won't lower myself to say. (Now I will tell you that John Lennon was a public clown to many of us, like Kanye West.) But there are so many awesome indie bands that should be up there and NOT Amy Winehouse,

I never thought I would say it but as far as the Top 40 music which had Elvis, Beatles, Spinners, Aerosmith, Madonna, Fleetwood Mac, Smokey Robinson, U2, Men Without Hats, Janis, Marvi Gaye, Jimi, Doors, Bee Gees, Starland Vocal Band :-) , Donna Summers, and thousands more. But when country and rap rules this is what we get. I am happy I saw the great days of pop & rock.

Glee is our future, dear god.

June 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nush

Wow you sure are dating yourself Chuck. Obviously you are older, but are you too old to remember when your parents probably said the same thing about the music you grew up with? Anyways what is Madonna and Men Without Hats doing in that list? Who the hell is the Starland Vocal Band? Stupid name that. Druggies you mention, but then you list The Doors, Elvis, and Janis. I'm sure none of them did drugs...no it was just drugs that caused their deaths.

June 20, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Howard

This woman has reduced herself to Druggie Trash! She GO AWAY–GET CLEAN OR GET LOST!!!!!

June 20, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  24. herpderples

Hey! I don't like any of these people!

June 20, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  25. gah

i can't help but reach for a hairbrush whenever I see her *eye twitch*

June 20, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Sunshine Girl *

I need to go back to rehab...Oh yeah yeah yeah. Amy has a wonderdul voice but she also has a huge addiction problem. And her addiction is over shadowing her talents. She really needs to stay in rehab longer than these couple wk stints. Her fans will understand. I do. Just put the music on hold until shes stable enough to carry on. Itll take time/wk but she can do it. She isnt the 1st singer to be a mess and she wont be the last. Good luck to her sobriety.

June 20, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  27. tim shatsar

Cuz im a mutha fawkin gay fish!

June 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Argle Bargle

Good. She needs to be booed right out of entertainment. She can't even sing when she IS sober.

June 20, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Denizen Kate

Another incomplete report from CNN. Never says why the Portuguese audience didn't like Nickelback, and never showed or explained why Beyonce was booed – apparently her dress was not good for walking up stairs, but the camera just kept focusing on her chest. Must've been a male camera operator.

June 20, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  30. yournamehere

What about Kathy Griff? She is deserving of this list for sure.

June 20, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  31. JSS

"Smithers, are they saying 'Boo' or 'Boourns'?"

June 20, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  32. AT

Nickelback's concert in Portugal was in 2002 (not in 2009) in a festival night dedicated to heavy-metal music. That's why they were not well received by the audience. But they have lots of fans in Portugal waiting for their return.

June 20, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Square

The more things change, the more they stay the same. It's true in music. The line just keeps repeating.

June 20, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  34. svscnn

That's rock-n-roll kiddies.

June 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jason B

Interesting choices, but there is a big mistake here: the Nickelback rock pelting incident didn't take place in 2009, it took place in either 2001 or 2002. Chad Kroeger didn't even have long, curly hair at that time. His hair isn't long as before and it is more wavy.

June 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  36. C-bag

Most of these people, I could care less about, but I feel genuinely bad for Amy. I think most of the people that "love to hate her," or think she's nothing but a studio voice, don't actually have a clue how great she was at one point. I second someone's point that she's probably not happy or well suited to be a mainstream act; she was a brilliant jazz singer. Check out her 2003 album "Frank", and also search youtube for her live shows from 2003 and 2004, before she became famous. It's like looking at a totally different girl.

Sad to say, I think even if she got her s**t together, her voice will never be the same.

June 20, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shannon

I totally agree. Some of what that girl has put out has been gloriously luscious and soulful. Few people have pulled off the same kind of conviction. When she's good, she's amazing. But the downfall has shown that when she's terrible, she's just terrible. I do feel genuinely bad for her. A friend of mine has a lot of her older stuff and played it for me, and I couldn't even believe it was the same person. She's got so much talent in that mess somewhere, and I hope she finds it again.

June 20, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sissy

Wow! The girl was gifted. She had her own stye. I could hear a little bit of Billie Holiday in her voice. Amazing talent. So sad to see her throw away her gift. Thanks for that amazing clip.

June 20, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  37. zoundsman

I haven't been keeping up with all the pop music the last 10 years. I heard so much about Amy Winehouse by last
    year, decided to utube her stuff. I was boggled. She is a phenom. When it comes to her drug/ booze antics, she's an
    accident waiting to happen. All of this is commonplace around celebs and their bubbles of delusion (perpetuated
    by sycophants and users). Amy, stop trying to prove you're like the tragic bluesy music you sing-screw it. Prove
    nothing to nobody. Snap out of it and carry on.

June 20, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jane

Can't believe that Lady GaGa and Justin Beiber didn't make the list.

June 20, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Naomi

Really CNN, this is all you have to write about? Booing celebrities? This isn't entertainment journalism. This isn't journalism period.

June 20, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  40. ?

I saw a clip about Winehouse today, talk about "dopey"! She was so out of it, it was sickening to watch. I wanted to throw up for her!

June 20, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  41. BobZemko

I would boo people with no talent, too.

June 20, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Burt Reynolds

Free mustache ride!

June 20, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Rotundo the Ex Celeb

I'd rather see a bad show by Amy Winehouse than a good one by Lady GaGa.

June 20, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  44. phoenix

this bag of bones should be our poster girl for our troops.

June 20, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Rontismo

Amy Winehouse looks like John Travolta from Battlefield Earth.

June 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  46. James

What is wrong with this woman !! SOBER UP!!

June 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  47. trollop

anyone named lance muist bne gay too. lance and daniel are gay names.

June 20, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Chang

The scary part is that Amy wasn't that drunk...her live shows always been suspect.

June 20, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Ichi

Heidi Montag? Spencer Pratt? Justin Bieber? Tom Cruise? You can add dozens to that list, mate.

June 20, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Booger

Amy Whinehouse get yourself some big boobies like Snookie and you won't get booed anymore.

June 20, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Booger

Kim their wouldn't even be a list with out you baby you're number one cause you got some Biiiiig Boobies.

June 20, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Yakobi.

"...when "Jersey Shore" personality Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino started in on Donald Trump, the audience was outraged."

Um, not exactly. They booed because he was so inept at telling the scripted jokes at Trump's roast. He was painfully UNfunny.

June 20, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Kim Kardashian

Hey, what about me? I want to be on the list

June 20, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Booger

Right erich2112x unless she got big boobies!

June 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Bear

How a person like Ashlee Simpson is considered an actual singer, I have no idea. (See her sham performance on SNL) She's a slap in the face of all legitimately trained bona-fide singers and musicians everywhere. Simpson is simply Hollywood trash who thinks she deserves a piece of the musical world's pie, but in no way has earned it. Btw, regardless of her plastic surgery, she's still buttt-ugly as always.

June 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  56. daniel

my ma saidi fernace is rood and stopid.

June 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  57. erich2112x

This happens to all the artists at one time or another, but the great artists win the audience over by the 2nd set, and by the end of the show everyone's on their feet.

June 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • erich2112x

i saw Hall & Oats of all bands in Philly once and after the 2nd song they were getting booed, but they stuck with it and pulled it together and worked the crowd and by the end of the show all was well. The crowd was chanting more by the end of the show and 2 encores ensued. lol, Not a fan but did respect their tenacity.

June 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  58. daniel

i think fernace eats doodoo. anyone whould take up for amy winehose must be a doodoo muncher.

June 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Nikore

I hope booing Kanye West never goes out of style. What a gay fish.

June 20, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance

what is insulting in being "gay"? which i seriously doubt he is

June 20, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

@Lance: Its a South Park inside joke. Nothing to do with actually being gay.

June 20, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

"Gay Fish" is a reference to a South Park episode about Mr. West.

June 20, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Now, now, I bet if this man? never spoke another word in his life and took up accounting, he'd be a pretty decent sort.

June 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • John N

I dont get it, why am I a gayfish?

June 20, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  60. fernace

I think Amy is just 1 of those people who cant handle fame & big venues. It probably makes her feel insecure & she turns to booze & dope! Her management should let her rest, get rehab if necessary, & then re-think her presentation. She might be more comfortable in smaller venues. Or she might be 1 of those self destuctive people, who will never straighten up & always live in a bottle of booze! I do wish her luck, no matter what!!

June 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Well said fernace.

June 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

There is a problem with trying smaller venues for Amy....she's too good. I don't think it would work but it's a great idea. I'd love to be wrong.

July 2, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  61. shanna

I think she has always been a big boo.

June 20, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  62. JR

They want Amy to stay in Rehab but says No No No.

June 20, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

I liked her rehab video. It was catchy. It's the only way I know of her though. Other than of course, rehab stint, rehab stint, rehab stint...sad. Now, the people who SHOULD be boo'd and more, are the clowns who thought it would be "Super" to put Ashlee Simpson on during the SUPER BOWL for gods sake!! She's lucky she wasn't torn apart.

June 20, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  63. The Måd Ræp3r

No one beats grace slicks "cleared the mini bar/who won the war" show in germany.

June 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Chucklehead

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

June 20, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  65. The Måd Ræp3r

Poo-troll, get some new material already. You can do better than this. Or at least come with something funny that's scheisse related.

June 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |