Emma Roberts: Aunt Julia doesn't get me roles
June 17th, 2011

Emma Roberts: Aunt Julia doesn't get me roles

She's one of Hollywood's hottest young actresses, but Emma Roberts insists her famous family isn't responsible for her career.

Roberts, who is the niece of Julia Roberts and daughter of Eric Roberts, tells PopEater, "[People] talk about nepotism, which I think is so ridiculous considering it's obviously not true. Because I've auditioned for so many things and never gotten the part. Also it's like, you know, maybe someone can get you one part but they can't really get you ten parts."

The "Scream 4" star, currently starring in "The Art of Getting By," adds that she gets especially annoyed with bloggers who write that she only gets cast because of her last name.

"I think it's so funny people will blog stuff but they won't say it to your face," she says. "I would actually have more respect for them if they said it to my face, then I would probably not say anything back."

In the meantime, Roberts avoids reading the nasty comments, even though she knows they're out there. "I can't let it bother me because, for me, anyone hiding behind a computer is kind of irrelevant," she says.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Merlinwv

What a shame she seems to think more of her aunt than her father. I never thought Julia was all that great as an actress. Emma's father Eric, while having issues, is a much better actor than his sister. Hopefully she will one day see her father in "Runaway Train" with Jon Voight & Rebecca DeMornay – it still stands the test of time.

July 7, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. M&M

Nancy- you is so right. people be hating on relgiions now!

July 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. fernace

Unless you're a chick, that is. Sorry luv, don't swing that way! But I can be persuaded to watch...

June 18, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. fernace

@ Peace, I love Peace! Did I ever tell you I'm a true pacifist?! That's a serious peace lover, not just toying with Peace! I love tequillya, too, how did you know? Was it my post yesterday? Nevermind, lets just hook up & have some beautiful blog babies! Or not! Fun is good too!!

June 18, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mary Ann

She has the same mouth as her aunt,it will probably get her plenty of jobs.

June 18, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Peace

I llove fernace. She is so hot. I want to be inside. Inside the fernace. I am the real Peace. I just drank a little tequila. OLE.

June 18, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. real fernace

@ faker, thanks for standing up for me! Really though, I don't sweat it cause I know this troll-jacker has a crush on me! He'll get his jollies & move on to the next crush, no worries!

June 18, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. umyeah

Nepotism has everything to do with it. If it didn't, she would call herself Emma Smith. She's very, very blessed and should embrace her lucky genetics.

Rob, you're comment is absolutely correct!

As someone close to the industry, having no family ties within most certainly makes success more difficult.

Having a famous name doesn't guarantee that success, but it makes it a lot more accessible for those with relatives within Hollywood.

June 18, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. justinz

emma will never be as good as julia!!!! isaelle go out with me!!!!

June 18, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. real fernace

Of course she has to deny, that's the trick with nepotism! Many of todays young star hunks & starlets would be waiting tables if it weren't for their famous family members. Anyway she's cute, a decent actress & time will tell if she has true talent & longevity! PS. Her dad's an old hunk, emphasis on Hunk!!

June 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mr. Ed

@Nancy..lol. I like you girl but I think you are playing us and you are a troll.

June 18, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. Young Hollywood

Hey! Check out Emma’s interview alongside Michael Angarano at the Young Hollywood studios.

June 17, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fernace

Yep im a sweating like a pig 2

June 17, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nancy

Plus I just really dont understand what that has to do with anything. We were all having a good discussion about religion and the Nepotist and hot weather. I visited a Nepotist church several years ago. They really werent snake handlers like youd think. These were good people. I think a ittle churchin might do you some good.

June 17, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nancy

Am Too ! Am Too what you said !

June 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Kate

Nancy did you even read the article or did you just jump on and start blogging. I believe that Rob was refering to Nepotism: favoritism granted to relatives or friends regardless of merit
    Man oh Man do you sound like an idiot.

June 17, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. The Måd R@p3r

I'm with nancy, and as a Nepotist I can't stand idly by and let our people be slandered like this. Where is the tolerance?

June 17, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  18. nancy

Does your trailer get that hot in the summer? Mine feels like a dang oven. And fans dont help. They just blow around all the hot air.

June 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. fernace

Nancy lets get together and have a weiner for lunch. We can also have a drink or two and go hang out with Snookie. We can do cart wheels without our panties

June 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  20. nancy

Well. My welfare check hasnt come in yet and they cut my cable tv off. I got to do something.

June 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. @nancy

I thought it was explained to u already! They are called trolls. If u don't like it, stfu, and quit feeding them!

June 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  22. nancy

This just really bothers me. If I say anything about normons you have a fit. And here you are talking about the Nepotist and Nepotism and expect us to say nothing. I think there is a double standard here.

June 17, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  23. nancy

What does religion have to do with this? Nepotism is as valid as any other faith. The racism you people show makes me sick.

June 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Rob

Nepotism opens doors. Everyone who gets ahead in that business is either extremely lucky, has connections, or both. A career in acting is not rocket science, does not require great intelligence, and requires no preparation other than 'knowing the ropes'. And family names carry cache in the business. So when people want to cash in, they exploit and leverage everything they can. Not that any of that is unusual or unexpected, just don't proclaim it's not nepotism. OK? Cuz, it is.

June 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. INDIRECT NEPOTISM EXISTS IN THE CLOUD

The name is enough to create INDIRECT NEPOTISM. She may lie to herself all day, and lie to the world every day, but the fact is she benefits from INDIRECT NEPOTISM. Sorry baby, you'll never get the respect you want.

June 17, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • me@work

Yep. I was thinking the same thing. Whether you like it, or not, Emma...people will gravitate to you, or offer you roles, based on your name alone. The sooner you are okay with that, the better off you'll be. They may not "get you roles", but I guarantee it doesn't hurt you, either. Enjoy it, others should be so lucky.

June 19, 2011 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  26. The Dook Of Westminister

those roberts gurls. bleeeeek. nobody likes a roberts.

June 17, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. The Dook Of Westminister

Well yeah Emma Watson is cute and wonderful. Incredible too.

June 17, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ABRAHAM

THAT EMMA WATSON IS IN CREDIBNLE ! emma roberts. . . . naaaaah. . . .not so much.

June 17, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  29. faker

@ fake fernace, u r 1 of the people hiding behind the computer. Yer not even good at it. YOU need to post on almost every site to make yerself feel so self important. There isn't any respect for a troll who steals another's user name. Sad little life u lead, loser !

June 17, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  30. Anthony Weiner

Did somebody say Weiner?

June 17, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  31. Cora LDS

I agree. Emma Watson is a wonderful young lady and good actress. I hope she will be in more movies. She just seems so sweet and deacent

June 17, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  32. WLM

I dont really think this chick is a great actress but it is nice to be Julia Roberts niece.... Even if Julia gets her roles, who cares!!!!!! You think Willow and Jayden Smith care cause their dad hooks them up????

June 17, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  33. fernace

me again!

June 17, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  34. The Måd R@p3r

Meh, she's no emma watson.

June 17, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  35. ?

HA, she must read the Marquee blogs!!! There's a lot of hiding going on here!

June 17, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |