Rob Lowe's next role: Drew Peterson
June 16th, 2011

Rob Lowe's next role: Drew Peterson

“Parks and Recreation” actor Rob Lowe will take a break from his usual role - attractive leading man - to play accused wife-murderer Drew Peterson, his publicist told CNN.

The project, tentatively titled “The Drew Peterson Story,” will feature Lowe as Peterson, an ex-cop jailed for drowning his third wife, Kathleen Savio. Peterson is also suspected in the disappearance of his fourth wife, 23-year-old Stacy Peterson.

Lowe will star opposite “The Big Bang Theory’s” Kaley Cuoco, who will play Stacy.

To those who think Lowe’s involvement with a network characterized by melodramatic straight-to-TV movies is bizarre, Entertainment Weekly reminds us he starred in Lifetime’s “Too Late to Say Goodbye” in 2009.

“These movies aren’t made anymore, and in the last five years, they’re not made on television either - except in very specific places,” Lowe said of the 2009 flick. “One of ‘em is Lifetime, and they do it really, really well. So I’m glad they’re makin’ stuff like this, on Lifetime.”

Is this a step backward for the celebrity? Or are you excited to see Lowe play a more serious role than the goofy Chris Traeger?

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies • television

1. Fed Up With The Justice System

1) Clicked on this story cuz I couldn't believe they'd pick a HANDSOME guy to play Drew Peterson, who is BEYOND BUTT-UGLY!!! and 2) "kgonz" said, "Justice and closure are not far away." Don't be too sure about that...look at the Casey Anthony trial...justice DENIED. Peterson is just the sort of creep to get away with murder, too.

July 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. happytam

The thing that bothers me the most is that they chose someone so darn good looking to portray Drew Peterson. Doesn't seem like a good fit at all. I am sorta anxious to see Rob in character though.....

June 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kgonz

lonnie, this case hasn't even gone to trial yet so how could the prosecution have lied about anything.This man is a monster. He used his training as a police officer to commit and cover up 2 murders. Now he has been found out and hopefully will pay for what he has done. Sherrie, I know this whole thing is hard on you and all of Stacy's family and my heart goes out to you, but please bare in mind that this isn't just about her. He killed 2 women. This story needs to be told. And Rob Lowe is just like any other fine actor who takes a part like this one. He is just doing his job and doesn't mean any disrespect to anyone. But I will say that he is too good looking to play Drew Peterson. Weinerschnitzel and Irving, it is in very poor taste to speak ill of the dead, show some respect please. Hoofawted, Donald Sutherland is way too old for this part, but his son, Kiefer, would have been a better choice. He does look more like Peterson than Rob Lowe. The bottom line is...justice and closure are not far away.

June 20, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. weinerschnitzel

I smell setup by the cops. His third wife was a turdle. You cant drown a turdle.

June 17, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. hoofawted

they totally should have cast Donald Sutherland instead of Rob Lowe

June 17, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  6. Australian

Oh and why on earth did they choose someone as good looking as Rob Lowe? The sight of DP's face makes me want to gag!

June 17, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. Australian

I agree with you Sherrie. I've followed Stacy's story ever since it happened and I just read this today and I have to say I was shocked that Rob Lowe would even consider something like this. Yeah yeah innocent until proven guilty but you have to admit the man he is portraying is an arrogant p**ck who knows too well how the law works and has admitted it! Shame on you Rob!
    Stay strong Sherrie. I hope you and your family get the answers you've been waiting for soon.

June 17, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. K.C.

They shouldn't make a movie about this, especially while Drew Peterson is still alive. He shouldn't enjoy any kind of publicity for what he did.

June 17, 2011 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Brown Bomber

He may have killed that ole lady but Im sure it was in self-defense.

June 17, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. Andrew

Why are you upset about him taking this role...Shouldn't you be mad at the network, writers, producers, and directors of the show. They just chose him for a role and he accepted. Why wouldn't you want Stacey's story out there so people can see what kind of person she was married too and what was done to her???? You are just making a fuss over this cause you can and want people to know you were related to her.

June 16, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. joel

As a hassidic jew i think this movie project should be stopped. it portrays a biggoted view of people in general.

June 16, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • hopper

Let this be a lesson for all you nagging women. You mess with the bull you get the horns.

June 17, 2011 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sherrie

I am A family member of Stacey's and this is pathetic that Rob Lowe would even consider this role. I will never watch anything with him in it again.

June 16, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

I am sorry about Stacey, I have often thought of her and what happened to her.

November 16, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |