'The Voice' turns into an all girls club
June 15th, 2011

'The Voice' turns into an all girls club

NBC's "The Voice" was about two things last night: Girl power and standout vocals. (I know what you're thinking: How can the vocals get any stronger than last week's singers Beverly McClellan and Frenchie Davis?)

Round two of the quarterfinals and the second live show saw two team members get eliminated from both Team Christina (Aguilera) and Team Blake (Shelton), plus performances from all the members on Team Adam (Levine) and Team Cee Lo (Green).

The show began with something I'm sure everyone liked: Carson Daly NOT waiting until the end of the two-hour show to give us the results of who would move on to the next round from Team Blake and Team Christina.

Instead he delivered half of the results right off the bat, with the other half to come later.

When Daly gathered the four members of Team Christina on stage and uttered the words,  "America's save is Beverly McClellan!" I thought I was watching the NBA Finals. The entire audience roared. The mood was electrifying, and you could see the look of pleasure on the faces of many in the crowd. Pure elation!

Daly then looked over to Christina and reminded her that she had to choose who she wanted to save out of the three remaining members of her team. (Not to meander, but how many times did you catch yourself mesmerized by Christina's outfit choice? Just sayin'. But back to the show.)

Christina looked at the three remaining singers and said, "This is the hardest decision I have had to make in my entire life." And then she did what we expected her to: choose the second bald singer on her team with the biggest voice, a.k.a., Frenchie Davis! Christina said that she had to go with the superstar voice on that one.

Like Beverly, Frenchie seemed surprised from the moment she learned she was picked. She said she's worked so hard to get here and she is right. Frenchie's come a long way since her days of getting the boot at "American Idol." After winning, Frenchie said the moment conveys the message that "you don't have to look like a Barbie to make your dreams come true. Who would have thought it would come down to the two bald girls."

Moving on to Team Blake. Last week there were strong performances from strong singers, but they weren't quite stellar. Team Blake featured Dia Frampton (a professional singer with four albums under her belt), Xenia (a shy singer from Temecula, California), country crooner Patrick Thomas and bald rocker Jared Blake. Last night two were cut from that team and let me tell you, even I was shocked. It was truly an upset.

First Carson Daly revealed that the viewers voted to save Dia Frampton. He then turned it over to Blake and told him the rest was in his hands.

The country star said all his singers "have something that is different and incredible," but that he couldn't "affect change" with Jared and Patrick like he could with Xenia, and Xenia it was. She looked as caught off guard as the hundreds of people in the audience watching her.

So the group of four moving on to the next round is essentially an all girls club with two bald singers and two eclectic, more shy balladeers.

Now for the performances! Let me start with Cee Lo performing with his team. No team rocked it as much as his group did, working it out to Sly & the Family Stone's "Everyday People." For the first time, all three of the coaches were actually dancing and laughing in their seats. It was just the burst of energy that the show needed halfway through.

Then it was time for Adam Levine and his team with their cover of  Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From my Friends." Adam kicked it off and was soon  joined by his team of three men ( Javier Colon, Devon Barley and Jeff Jenkins) and one woman (Casey Weston). All I can say is they owned that stage. At times Adam hit such high notes for such a long time he literally took me to church.

Eight performances remained, with four from Team Cee Lo (sisters Tori and Taylor, country singer Curtis Grimes, and bluesy singers Vicci Martinez and Nakia) and four from Team Adam (Jeff Jenkins, Javier Colon, Devon Barley, and Casey Weston). All the performers hit their notes last night and pleased the judges, but I'll save the wow factor for only two of the singers.

The first was pint-sized singer Vicci Martinez. She didn't simply sing Dolly Parton's "Jolene," she owned it! She's a small girl with a big voice, and she hit every note.

The other top-notch performance was from Javier Colon, who took on Sarah McLachlan's "Angel." Moments after he belted out the first few words you knew you were in for a roller coaster  ride thanks to the range of his voice. Javier opted for some background support with four female violinists. He started the song off soft and ended it softly saving the middle for those higher notes which he held well.

Of course the judges were impressed, with Cee Lo saying he had the voice of an angel and Christina admitting he "was the one that got away."

Next week we will see which singer will have their spotlight dimmed during another round of live shows. So what was your favorite performance?

1. scott

I think Blake should have sent Xenia home. She is cute and has an interesting voice but come on. She looks like a deer caught in the headlights when she performs and does not have command of the stage like the others do. I love Dia. The two sisters have got to go. They only kept them on becuase they are cute. Tomorrow night they will go home. I can't understand how they are on the show in the first place. The show is called "The Voice" meaning one person. I was actually embaressed for Ceelo during their performance. I really like Viki and Javier. Casey does not do it for me. Seems like another Xenia. Nakia is good too.

June 21, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. ISla

Blake has chose the right talent. Xenia may not have the "usual" big voice but it's distinct and different. As for the best performance last tuesday, I'd go with Vicci and Casey. I'm sorry but Javier is overated. He sings and sounds like every other r and b singer doing all those extra notes to impress. We got wowed by it but he doesn't touched the soul. He shld have listened to his couch that gave him a good advice. I guess that's why he haven't made it yet after all the years of doing his rounds.

June 18, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • DJ

I agree that he should listen to his couch. Should he want more input, it doesn't hurt to listen to an end table either.

June 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. new here

I was really surprised at how much I liked Casey. I didn't like her at all in the previous rounds but with this song, I thought she was possibly even better than Jeff.

I really liked that Blake picked Xenia – she doesn't have a huge range and she's shy on stage but she has a very easy and approachable way of singing. She definitely doesn't overdo it and what she does do, she does well, which (- if you ask me- is much much better than trying to go for that huge note only to miss it. And I thought that in her performance last week when she was smiling, her whole face lit up, but not in that fake "grin like you have a toothache" way that Curtis displayed this week.

June 16, 2011 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. LK

I think everyone that is moving forward – Beverly, Frenchie, Dia and Xenia – deserves to move forward. I personally voted for Beverly and Xenia knowing that Dia was already poised to move onto the next round. I'm thrilled that Blake chose Xenia and I'm also glad that Christina chose to save Frenchie – again, she was more deserving of the save than Raquel or Lily Elise.

Next week, I predict that Vicci, Nakia, Javier and Casey will move forward. I just finished voting for Vicci and Casey!

June 16, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. Wendell

The Voice is supposed to be all about – well the voice. How could Patrick Thomas possibly not have won? He clearly, overwhelmingly, obviously, had a super terrific voice – the best voice of anyone on the show, period. The fact that he is super cute helps too (but let's just stick with the voice facts). I am SOOO disappointed that Patrick got cut out. I'll stop watching the show here, period.

June 16, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. Manny

How could Cee-lo do that to his singers, they were awful. I feel sorry for the country guy. He is no Robert Plant. Cee did not play to their strenghts, just just his whims. and it did not work. Mr. Colon, you have the voice. Here's the trophy.

June 15, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. she

Was it just me or did anybody else think the two sisters on Cee Lo's team were awful?! I'm sorry but the judges are crazy for not giving them ANY criticism! Their performance was good because there was a lot going on which distracted everybody from their terrible vocals! They're cute girls but I definitley don't think so should be around after next week

June 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • laura

100% agree! I didn't even think anyone should have turned around for them in the first place. They are awful!

June 15, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • LK

The Thompson sisters can't sing. They will be gone next week.

June 16, 2011 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

I think last night's results were stellar. I agree with ANGEL – Xenia has a totally unique sound – but I really think Blake meant he could affect more change working with her. But that has more to do with performance – certainly not her voice – so the essence of the program has not been misconstrued by this at all. I'm so hoping to see Casey the Javier come through for Team Adam. I really feel that he and Cee Lo are donig the most and best work with their teammates and both are exceptional showmen. I've been pretty turned off by Christina's remarks – but can't argue with the talents of Beverly and Frenchie. I'm, all in all, a fan of the show.

June 15, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Erin

I loved that Blake picked Xenia. It was a gutsy move. Picking the country guy would have been more in his wheelhouse – but the truth is that even though Patrick has a great voice – he was just an average country performer – nothing set him apart as spectacular. Same with Jared – even though he had a strong voice – he was just your average bar band singer. And I think they are both kind of set in their stage persona's at this point in their singing careers.Both very good singers, but neither of these guys was unique. Neither of them managed to chart on iTunes.

Xenia on the other hand – is not a good performer, has no polish – but she does have a very interesting 'sound' to her voice. And she DID chart on iTunes last week (in fact only she and Dia did) So – she has something, some quality – that could be developed into something special (perhaps – he is going to need to coach his butt off to get over her shyness)

Also -he said having the two girls with similar styles would feed off of each other. So he kind of went all in on that coffeehouse style voice (even though it is clearly not his genre!)

So I think it was a gutsy move. High risk/High reward. Patrick or Jared would have been safer – you know what you are getting with them. But Xenia has more potential – if she can develop as a performer

June 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Canaryyellow

First off, great recap of the show! I am soo with about Adam- he was hitting crazy high notes! Vicci is passionate fire! She is soo good and such a powerhouse. I can't wait to see her go far in this thing. Javier...oh Javier...he has a special place in my heart. I own his first album that he put out in 2003. I still listen the album today. When I realized that was him on the show..I said to myself, "America has no idea what he can do." Cee-lo's group rocked the house! That was musical genius at it's best.
    Best performances of the night:
    1. Vicci
    2. Javier
    3. Nakia
    Those people will probably go through and so will Jeff Jenkins..but it's a toss between him and Casey Weston. CAN'T WAIT!!

June 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Wendy

I think Blake made a terrible decision. Xenia is very dull and immature at this point in her career. He certainly didn't do anything for the genre he represents, and for which there was a good candidate.

June 15, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Angel

Blake was misunderstood by the posters here i think! He meant he could affect more change in the music industry with a unique sound like xenia's. The fact that he can help her as an artist was not the primary factor it was her special voice!

June 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • She

I agree! Xenia has such a unique voice which make her that much more amazing! Yes she is a bit shy but she's 16! She deserves to be in the semi-finals!

June 15, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dr. Phil

I was watching hoping that I would see Xena: Warrior Princess sing, but boy was I wrong

June 15, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rich

I'll probably be in the minority of the responses, but I was glad to see Xenia be chosen by Blake. She may not be the most accomplished singer like Jared or Patrick, but her sound is unique which I think is what sets her apart. Yes, Blake will be doing more coaching for her and Dia, but isn't that part of the premise of the show?

June 15, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. laya

was very disappointed that Blake chose to save Xenia. She is way boring and has no stage presence.

June 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Tim

"The country star said all his singers "have something that is different and incredible," but that he couldn't "affect change" with Jared and Patrick like he could with Xenia, and Xenia it was."

And this is why I'll never watch the show again. Wasn't the show about picking the best, not the ones who needed the most help? Pathetic.

June 15, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • 916

I was a little upset with Dia sticking around... her voice is good but she doesn't have the whole package.. She's BORING to watch! Xenia and Jared should be left on team Blake !

June 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |