The summer of '86: 'Ferris' to 'The Fly'
June 15th, 2011

The summer of '86: 'Ferris' to 'The Fly'

Summer 2011 has been good for the cinema: The female-driven comedy “Bridesmaids” has raked in more than $107 million so far at the box office since its May release. “X-Men: First Class” gained more support than 2009’s “X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” the last film based on the comic book superheroes. And J.J. Abrams’ “Super 8” earned $37 million its opening weekend.

“Green Lantern,” “Captain America” and the final “Harry Potter” film are all waiting in the wings for release over the next month.

This sounds like one successful summer, to say the least. That is, until you rewind 25 years.

In 1986, classic movies like “Top Gun,” “Back to School” and “Stand by Me” were all released within three months of each other. And the list goes on.

Last weekend even marked the 25th anniversary of John Hughes’ “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off."

More than just a high school comedy, the movie taught us life lessons, like how to properly play hooky (don’t pretend you've never tried his clammy hands routine - “It’s a good, non-specific symptom”) and showed us how to make the most of our sick days - catch a baseball game, perform in a parade, “borrow” your best friend’s dad’s 1961 Ferrari.

But not everyone is enamored with “Ferris.” In an article that ran in The Atlantic on June 9 -  two days before “Bueller’s” 25th anniversary - the writer said the film is “portrayed as a universal story, when it's really not” and that “Ferris' way of life leaves me feeling empty.”

Still, we think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who didn’t laugh when Bueller impersonated Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago.

So in the immortal words of Ferris himself, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Here's are a look back at some of those classics from the summer of 1986.

"Short Circuit"
May 9
Before Pixar’s “WALL-E," there was Number 5, the lovable robot who believes he is human. The endearing comedy stars Ally Sheedy, who befriends the robot, Steve Guttenberg who plays the devious scientist and Tim Blaney, who lends his voice as Number 5.

"Top Gun"
May 16
Tom Cruise plays aviator glasses-wearing Maverick in 1986’s “Top Gun.” The flick, with its memorable soundtrack - tunes like “Danger Zone,” “Take My Breath Away” and “You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling” - became an instant classic.

"SpaceCamp"
June 6
Who can forget the release of “SpaceCamp,” which happened only five months after the “Challenger” explosion. Despite the tragic timing, there is something exciting about the ultimate summer dream of heading to space camp with your best friends, featuring Kate Capshaw, Lea Thompson and Kelly Preston.

"Back to School"
June 13
The comedy "Back to School," starring Rodney Dangerfield and Keith Gordon, shows the hilarity that happens when father and son head to college together. Kurt Vonnegut Jr., also had a great cameo in the 1986 flick.

"Labyrinth"
June 27
The fantastical "Labyrinth" from Jim Henson and George Lucas became a family classic as it covered the age-old topic of growing up and leaving behind childhood. Besides featuring a young Jennifer Connelly, David Bowie makes an iconic appearance in a Halloween costume including eyeliner and leather.

"Aliens"
July 18
Remember watching in equal horror and excitement when Sigourney Weaver's character headed into battle for the last hour of "Aliens"? James Cameron directed the futuristic thriller, which was a sequel to 1979's "Alien."

"Howard the Duck"
August 1
Lea Thompson and Jeffrey Jones were hot commodities in 1986, as they starred with Tim Robbins in "Howard the Duck," directed by George Lucas. Unfortunately, the box office hated Howard, which landed it atop plenty of worst-film lists.

"Stand by Me"
August 8
Rob Reiner’s “Stand by Me” stars Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman and Jerry O’Connell as four best friends who venture into the real world. Nominated for an Academy Award for best screenplay in 1987, this drama will remain a classic about friendship, tragedy and experiencing life.

"The Fly"
August 15
This movie was responsible for the quote so ubiquitous it’s almost become anonymous, when Geena Davis' character says, “Be afraid. Be very afraid.” Jeff Goldblum acted opposite Davis in this sci-fi drama, which won an Oscar for best makeup.

1. lesclodicdype

zjqjzozwynq ywmgvfzuh hlvbuayx http://www.phoenix-tutors.com/ ポーター バッグ メンズ,sykpzszwzhz ibrqeupxo mczcviqx http://www.roysbassets.net/ アグ ブーツ,yncofbukcqq zwvcpeyqf vsfmhtxi http://www.raiseamilliondollars.com サマンサタバサ 財布 新作 2013,lrrpkvnpgcg iuueujvek wovozgrl http://www.csddentistry.com ポーター 財布,suwsrahwjcr fxacztlep leemnayx http://www.vonbellablazegermanshepherds.com/ オロビアンコ バッグ,eifqihysutn dmwyjcjtg mktzmthx http://www.heyheycamaguey.com/ ティンバーランド ブーツ,yvzjwoismsh nldhxxpic octzvqfd http://www.dalbergia-nigra.com/ ミネトンカ ブーツ,nmgnfdnhani dsdlkuvtm bvvchdmz

November 25, 2013 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. TheWordMaster

Is there ever going to be a sequel to Labrynth?

June 17, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. Robert

Howard the Duck was not directed by Lucas, but his company did do the special effects.

June 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ebis

Reading this article has brought back so many memories. The 80's were a great decade and while I enjoyed the ones one the list I wouldn't consider them tops. There were many great films in the 80's, cheezy for some great for other, remember the rocky iv, godzilla 1985, masters of the universe along with the others that have been mentioned previously. Great decade and thanks to todays technology we can always take a trip down memory lane and enjoy them all over again.

June 16, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. thetime machine

Wish i could of dated matt dllon but dontlnow why i kept scrap book of ralph macchio uuuufff...but hey dillon still looks hot....big crush in the outtsiders..now those guys were dreamy there was no ugly guys in that movie

June 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. thetime machine

Who could forget Tootsie.....wish those igorant video games would of never come into existence that just finished the dawn of teenage creativity and physical activity...and created a fashionista of violence and trend pf shootings in schools.....no more 80 movies to just watch ..no more bubble gum years......

June 16, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. charlie crack

Hey @peace, @beautiful vixen! Jaws scared me too! It is a classic, The Wall very good as well. Hope yall have a good day! Talk to you later.

June 16, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. Keith

Big Trouble in Little China and One Crazy Summer were out that summer as well and then it ended with Blue Velvet and Manhunter

June 16, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  9. Terri

Save Ferris

June 16, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  10. Me

They fail to mention that Rob Reiner's movie "Stand By Me" was based on the Stephen King short story "The Body", he deserves a little credit. Although, had King himself directed it instead of Reiner it would have been a laughable flop :-)

June 16, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. Believer

I loved the scene when Ferris had the crowd dancing when he sang "Twist And Shout"! One of my fave movie scenes ever and very imaginative.

June 16, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. j swayze

Any "best of" lists for 86 better include Reign in Blood and Master of Puppets. And Tim Robbins was the best thing about Top Gun

June 16, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. beenz

I wanted to be like Ferris, but I lived in a horrible little town- would never have gotten away with taking the day off without being seen! Also, there was nowhere to go. Anyway – great list!

June 16, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. jen

Omg Saw Who Framed Rodger Rabbit yesterday even though I wasn't born when it came out I watched it with my parents and I've always loved it.

June 16, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Orifice Roberts

Afterwards did you orally please both mommy and daddy like you did when you were much younger? Yeeess, sweet memories.

June 16, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Beer Drinker

Dang, that's a really good set of films (minus Howard the Duck, Short Circuit, and Space Camp). The rest are pretty much classics.

But then again, I'm a beer drinker so what do I know?

June 16, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  16. mike

EVERYTHING IN THE 80'S ROCKED!!!...BEST DECADE!!!!!!! THE MUSIC WAS THE BEST!!!!

June 16, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  17. stankFoot

Some other good 86ers. The Devil in Ms Jones, Buttfuddge Heaven, Timmy Has A.I.D.S., Deepthroat, GayParade, Manhole, Debbie does Dallas, His Stinkky on my Winky. Some of those had original fuddgepacking goodness.

June 16, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  18. Beautiful Vixen

How about Pink Floyd The Wall, This Is Spinal Tap, Rambo ~ Hi Peace, Charlie Crack and Mr. Ed. Have a nice day guys.

June 16, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  19. DirtyD

Don't get too comfortable on the 1986 Way-Back Machine, folks. Like Billy Joel said, "The good old days weren't always good & tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."

June 16, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  20. ELMO RIFFCAN

I have a great idea why not make a movie about George Lucas 25 years after his best film ever. The images he put on film all come alive and influence him to make the ultimate good/bad guy on paper,after all they live in our hearts and minds,why not come alive when he is looking for the next great script.Send check to my email address(or meet me).

June 16, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  21. Agrainofsalt

Forgot A Nightmare On Elm Street....watched that one by myself at night...pretty hard to get to sleep.

June 16, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  22. RockwodON

Was in the UK back then. Ferris? Neh – too American to really resonate. Aliens? Totally amazing. I remember actually shaking in my seat because I'd tensed up. They mostly come at night..mostly. 100% thrill-power.

June 16, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  23. Peace

Hi Charlie! Loved the Goonies! I know this movie was prob in the 70's, but 1 we've all been frightened by, Jaws! Classic, by all means! Time to get started, good day to all! :)

June 16, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  24. Grumpster

So when are we to expect the "lame-a-fied" remakes of all of these anyway? That's all they do these days. They add a "hip" music track, some well known b-listers that can't act their way out of a paper bag, dumb down whatever there was to intelligence in anything to the new lowest common denominator, shorten it by at least 25% so-as to be able to play it more times per day, advertise the wrong aspects, push the wrong points of interest thinking they know better why we liked the movie in the first place, and then slap a PG-13 rating on it to make sure all the teenie boppers can get in to see it too. Give me back my 80's movies (except anything with Tom Cruise) and I actually just rewatched Howard the Duck...it flies way over most films around today. Oh...and I forgot...they have to put more product placement in there and technological gizmos to make us all go gee whiz.

June 16, 2011 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  25. Jeff

You could tell back then that a young Jennifer Connelly was going to be a beautiful actress and she didn't disappoint. She is both beautiful and a superb.actress.

June 16, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  26. charlie crack

"Goonies"!

June 16, 2011 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  27. charlie crack

Friday the 13th.....Nightmare on elm street...yeah those were good.

June 16, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  28. hhv94

I loved Stand by Me, Ferris Beuller, Top Gun, Aliens and Labyrinth. All of them good films. Ferris Beauller and Top Gun were just fun films to watch. Aliens was scary as hell when I first saw it. Stand by Me and Labyrinth were both unique in their own way.

June 16, 2011 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  29. Taylor M.

I like lost my virginity in eighty six it was totally awesome.

June 16, 2011 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
  30. Suzy Bea my real name

You'll post all kinds of filthy,foolish,ignorant nonsense but when I had something relevant of the times it's not appropriate,thank you CNN.

June 16, 2011 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  31. Suzy Bea my real name

Didn't think much of eighty six I lost my only uncle to Aids.

June 16, 2011 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Panty Wearing Fairy

Was your uncle one of those Ho~mos that enjoyed horse weiners in his mouth and doodoo hole?

June 16, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  32. Ryan

Planes, Trains & Automobiles...

June 16, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  33. Keystone, Keystone B.e.e.r

Animal House, Desperately Seeking Susan, Airplane, Pretty In Pink

June 16, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  34. Ham N Cheese Sandwich

Overboard, Coming To America also Pet Sematary and Predator

June 16, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
    • whatzitooya

Ha! Overboard was great! I really think that what has gone down hill is the quality of acting we got from our actors and actresses...I remember movies like Roxanne and Great Outdoors. I loved the Brat pack! I wasn't born until 81 but I have seen just about every late 70 and all through the 80s movies there are and I have yet to see anything come close however I did love EasyA for the 80s references...Bring back the eighties! !

June 16, 2011 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  35. I am Ryan and I'm a male s1ut

Who can forget those cute animals but don't feed them after midnight..The Gremlins :) and also Honey I Shunk The Kids!

June 16, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  36. I Need A Sleeping Pill

Dont know if you guys remembered "flowers in the attic" and "mommie dearest

June 16, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  37. Thomas

Ghostbusters was a great movie. The lost boys also.

June 16, 2011 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  38. Beefburger

I liked Labrynth back in the day, but to watch it now, with David Bowie in the...form fitting spandex pants, sort of off-putting. I have to ask myself if I want my kids to watch it when Bowie's bonner is in your face like that.

June 16, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  39. BLT Sandwich

Blues Brothers, Spaceballs..the great years

June 16, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  40. Mental Midget

Child's Play, Texas Chairsaw Massacre

June 16, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  41. michele

yes good years,good movies. anyone remember "the breakfast club" love it!!!!!!

June 16, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  42. Posion Ivy

BACK TO THE FUTURE

June 16, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  43. Tar

Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Breakfast Club and who could forget ET

June 16, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  44. Janet

Ahhhhhh. I saw seven of these movies which coincided with the start of my senior year of high school.

June 16, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  45. Pete

How about the shining, die hard, and what about chevy chase vacation movies (i think they were 80's also)

June 16, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  46. Beth

This harkens back to a time when people used to go to the cinema to watch movies. Of course all of these films did well upon release.

June 16, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  47. t2

1980 movie, prom night

June 16, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  48. Patricio

....you clearly forgot The Karate Kid Part II, which was number 1 for four consecutive weeks....and the real Summer Benchmark belong to 1989....get your perspective in-check

June 16, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  49. Mr. Ed

Wise Guy, Once Upon A Time In America, Untouchables, Terminator, Full Metal Jacket..are few that came to mind. The 80's and 90's, now that was when movies were good not the $h!t they have out there now. Well hello Ms. Peace. Nice to see you back. Also have to say hi to Ms. Beautiful Vixen and wait!! Can't forget Ms. Jen.

June 16, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  50. Jorge

Who remembers Sixteen Candles,John Hughes classic, John wherever you are now rest in peace old friend.

June 15, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Mastermind

I think Friday the 13th was 1980. Halloween was 1978, Evil Dead and Hellraiser in 1987 and yes Peace, Nightmare on Elm Street was 1984. You have a good evening as well.

June 15, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Classics?

Since when were movies from 1986 classics?

I remember these movies and went to the theater to watch several of them. I am only 37. If these movies are classics, what am I???? hahaha ... I didn't feel old until I read this article

June 15, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  53. lb

CONGRATS BOSTON
    16 Canadians
    3 americans,
    0 bostonians

June 15, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Night Tracks

Ah, what a great year. I was 14 and Night Tracks (on sister network TBS) was still on the air airing my favorite music videos and going strong at 3 years old.

June 15, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Night Tracks Fan

At one point in time, Night Tracks played in its entirety "Another State of Mind"; that was the school bus coast to coast tour of Social Distortion and Youth Brigade. That to me was the 80s. Awesome shtuff.

June 15, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Peace

Hey all! Just checking in. Hope your all doing good! (I will be Fri) So, wasn't Nightmare On Elm Street about that time, too? That was a freaky one! Have a good eve!

June 15, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Al Pacino

Are you kidding me? The greatest movies in 1986 and they didn't mention "The Godfather"? That's the best movie of that year or any year!

June 15, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  57. jennifergray'sbeak

my real nose was in that movie!!! i'm much hotter now though.

June 15, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  58. parade guy

When did Birdy and My Life as a Dog (oh and Return of the Living Dead) come out? Along with previously mentioned Lucas, those were my faves from mid 80s.

June 15, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  59. edrooney'soffice

the actor who played ed rooney tried to take compromising photos of my cousin in the late. 80's. he ttold his parents who told the cops who did nothing. and than some 20 yrs later he gets busted for all kinds of pedophillic crimes. but i heard he used to only play with little knee grow boys so it's allll gooood

June 15, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Beautiful Vixen

Wasn't Friday the 13th (well there are a few of them) in the 80's also?

June 15, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Kathster

The best movie of the 80s was the John Hughes classic Some Kind of Wonderful. I double dog dare you to prove me wrong.

June 15, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  62. parade guy

Cinco de Mayo meets your criteria, Jorge.

June 15, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  63. *AmyLee

I loved The Witches Of Eastwick,Scareface,Trading Places(best Cristmas ) movie of all times.

June 15, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  64. @whynotimjust asgood

That's the same diff between a dog and a fox, too!

June 15, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Sean Gill

Lest we forget "Maximum Overdrive," July 26, 1986. Not exactly a good movie (at least it was better than Space Camp and Howard The Duck). Known for being directed by Stephen King and the AC/DC song "Who Made Who."

June 15, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  66. themovieguy

Ummmm....George Lucas did not direct Howard The Duck. Who writes these articles?

June 15, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  67. sigourneyfantoo

i watched sigourney weaver squat and pee pee all over a homeless guy in a philadelphia train station in 1997. and than she took what i can only imagine was his last 5 dollars. it was right around the time that princess diana comitted suicide in that tunnel.

June 15, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  68. ?

Remember The Howling?

June 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  69. whynotimjust asgood

what is the difference between a gay mexican and a straight mexican? about 4-5 Budweisers!!!

June 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  70. whynotimjust asgood

i saw matthew broderick please 5 wet backs with his mouth outside an adult bookstore in manhatten shortly after this movie was released. he got real mad when i tried to get an autograph and spit some of the leftover baby batter on my nice suit.

June 15, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • whatzitooya

Why is this suddenly about Mexicans??????and just who exactly did you think would find this funny...I for one am not amused. >:(

June 16, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  71. Jorge

Loved the movies from 1986!Not same year as others but loved Connolly in Career Opportunitys,smoking hot,scene with dad hilarious, all time though the Goonies no cgi crap, ahh for the wonder of being a kid again.

June 15, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  72. wavejump1100

the first alien movie from 1979 was awesome. it was the scariest sci fi i had ever seen and is still enjoyable. i agree with most of the comments the 80's were great. i remember when mtv first went on. it was all music videos... no reality shows and for the first week, no commercials.

June 15, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Valerie

To all those laughing and making comments because you weren't even "born then" or whatever:

Just you wait. Time waits for NO ONE, not even YOU. You'll be 30 and then 40, and then 50 before you know it! Enjoy! : )

June 15, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  74. longshanks

I enjoyed heinrich mueller's day off better. But wasn't that Cameron dude like 30 when this was filmed? I think he was the oldest high school senior in chicago.

June 15, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Grendel

Go to the light? Stay away from the light? I still can't figure that one out.

June 15, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Gavin Ford

No mention of "Poltergeist II: The Other Side"????????

June 15, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Latebar

....they mostly come out at night .... mostly...

June 15, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  78. jen

I laugh at my parents pictures from the eighties the big crunchy hair,men without socks'eeeyuu',padded shoulders, and BonJovi. I'm glad that decade's gone.

June 15, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Miklos

The 80s made it feel like there was hope and things to look forward too. Especially for me growing up in allentown. I miss those days so much. Hope we have a revival one day of that sense of hope.

June 15, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Yasmin

Screw this I wasn't even born back then, but to be honet I love 80's movie espcially the ones in the list. hahaha man I was born way too late to enjoy these, but i enjoy the movies now. :)

June 15, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  81. The Lurking Bat

What? No "Highlander"?? No "Big Trouble In Little China"??? No "Maximum Overdrive"???? No "One Crazy Summer"????? No "Reform School Girls"?!?!?!?!? No "Lucas"(for the Corey Haim fans)?????? NO "Heavy Metal Parking Lot"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

June 15, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Howard

No "the wizard" that was a 80's classic, Monster Squad anyone....cmon, there are some gems missing here

June 16, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  82. George

There's also some of the best music of the decade, as well. Control, True Blue, Simply Red, Bruce Hornsby & the Range, Nu Shooz, Sledgehammer, Addicted to Love, Manic Monday, Grandpa (tell me about the good old days), Sweet Love, I could go on and on. Summer of '86 means a lot more than movies.

June 15, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Kris

I remember seeing a majority of these movies as a teenager, in the theatre. Top Gun is still one of my favorites; this was before Tom Cruise turned into the Scientology nut. Aliens, another great flick. Stand By Me is another film I have seen over and over. However, even though I love John Hughes, "Ferris Bueller" was never on my list of great films but I remember how popular it was back in 86. It was fun remembering all of these memorable flicks. The 80s was a great decade.

June 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  84. RICK

Fans of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” who couldn’t talk themselves into spending $2.3 million for Cameron Frye’s house (in a down market, no less) now have a second chance to blow excessive amounts of cash on film memorabilia.

The high-priced item in question is the 1961 Ferrari 250GT California Spyder that Ferris; his girlfriend, Sloane; and his dyspeptic pal Cameron take for a joyride in John Hughes’s 1986 teen classic. The car will auctioned by Bonhams in London on April 19 and is expected to fetch from $45,000 to $60,000.

This may sound like a steal, but caveat emptor: It’s not a real 250GT. The car is actually a replica, a modified MG with a fiberglass body made especially for the film, according to the Internet Movie Database, and the only surviving model. (Given the car’s fate in the movie, it’s understandable why an actual Ferrari wasn’t used.)

Still, it was good enough for Ferris. “It is so choice,” Matthew Broderick’s character says of the car. “If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.” At least two Chicago parking attendants would surely concur.

June 15, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  85. tim

Those were all pretty good movies. Why havent they made anything deacent in over 10 years ?

June 15, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Andrea M

And people wonder why I am completely enamored with the 80's! Between Labyrinth and Duran Duran you can piece together almost my entire current wardrobe. I choose to be a new romantic because it's just so much better than anything available today.

June 15, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Andrew

Its probably a good thing I was not born yet. Ferris was the man however!

June 15, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Craig in LA

That was the summer I finished hight school.

June 15, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • sumnerstale

I graduated in 86 also

So cliche to ask....but if you could go back now ....knowing what you know...or just go back and relive....

June 15, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Naptown Chris

1986 was an awesome year!!! The movies made it feel like anything was possible.

June 15, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  90. satana

I miss the 80's...... Sum days......

June 15, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Howard

Howard the Duck was by far the greatest movie of all time, right next to Garbage pail Kids

June 15, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  92. tammy

The 80's was a lot simpler time growing up to adult hood. The movies was great. Aliens still scares the crap out of me at the age 42.

June 15, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Exarkun1138

I too miss the 80's! MTV was still all about the VIDEOS, not all this reality crap! The movies were definitely better than the complete mess we see coming from Hollyweird today. Those who never experienced movie-going in the 80's missed out on the best times and the reason why we went to movies. Oh the days......(sigh)........

June 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • whataboutme

what about platoon,?

June 16, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  93. bleu404

I just remember, I Graduated High School in 86! Shout out to all the Old Heads, who can remember anything and sausages in 86.....bleu404

June 15, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Exarkun1138

I graduated High School in 1985, and I can say this, the 80's decade was the best! Movies kicked butt, the world didn't hate the U.S. like it does today, and life was simpler, but still somewhat "high tech". Computers were owned and used only by the geeks and nerds, and were not "mainstream". Now everyone has at least one......

Of that list of movies, 'Aliens' is the best and still one of the best sequels of all-time!

June 15, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  94. franky

Me lik boobs

June 15, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Ken

Ferris Bueller's Last Day Off

June 15, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  96. DD

Aliens is still awesome.

June 15, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  97. I LOVE THE 80S

THE 80S WERE AWESOME AND TOTALLY RADICAL Jesus Christ I feel so bad for kids today. They've got some great toys we didn't have but the U.S.A. was actually really fun and a great country to live in once upon a time. I think some of these movies really reflect the exuberance (and yes the sheltered mentality) we loved about the 80s.

Compared to the 80s the past 10 years have been a horrible never ending nightmare I never could have imagined for our country.

June 15, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Maxx

It was one of the most excruciating movies I've ever seen. That and Event Horizon.

June 15, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Maxx

Labyrinth had Jennifer Connely costarring with with David Bowie's jock.

June 15, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Canada Rocks

Canada kicks the US ass in everything. US sucks. Canada rocks

June 15, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Essat

Apparently, Canada is not the nicest country in the world. Besides, all you do is copy everything we do, and you just had to send that talentless justin bieber over here. USA >>>>>>>>>>>>> Canada

June 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Timetraveler

Canada is a US-wannabe. Always has been. Always will be.

June 15, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moronique

Canada – leading the world in being 'just north of the united states' for two centuries!

June 15, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

REALLY?!? The BOSTON RUINS are purely working over the CANUCKS in game 7 right now. Talk about bad timing for a "Canada Rocks!" argument. Can't even play HOCKEY good anymore...or is it STILL? Pardon me while I kick the pedestal out from under you, and laugh as you fall back to mediocrity. Have a great day, eh?

June 15, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • WilDer

Bruins. Listen, Canada. You have a lot going for you, but we Americans take all your good stuff.. Hockey players, comedians, beer, etc.. Face it, you're America lite. Same great taste, less thrilling.

June 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  101. shawn

these movies sure do bring back memories especially when number 5 in short circuit says the hey laser lips line! classic!

June 15, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  102. tom

labyrinth gave me nitemares.....now luv it.....be 80s made some killer movies....its just 25 years later we can luv them for what they was..

June 15, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  103. rojocinco

Aliens still stands as one of the greatest sci-fi and action flicks of all time. I've seen it I don't know how many times and that trailer still gives me the chills. Awesome!!!

June 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • agentphunk

100% agreed, but more importantly, the quotes!! "Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" or "Game over man!! Why don't you just put her in charge!?" . Standards for us IT folks, whenever a problem seems insurmountable.

June 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  104. joey

Corey was so good in '86 he was casted as He-Man, 1987's summer blockbuster!

June 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  105. CHaim

maybe now someone can answer my Ferris Bueller question;

Why were they having a parade on a weekday in the city of Chicago?

June 15, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Alan Smithee

Wow, super great films and then complete duds.

June 15, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  107. BEBR H8R

Ah, "Tracie." What was your screen name last week when you applauded trolling? I don't think you thought "sausage maker" all the way through, did you? And why would you pretend to be a woman this time? What gave you away is the "doo doo" comment. You're pretty fixated on that stuff, eh?
    Well, anyway, let me know how special ed is workin' out for you. I'm sure you got a gold star today in your "how to fail in trolling" class. And you can try to pretend you're me again and post sophmoric comments whilst using my screen name, but anybody will be able to tell the difference between this post and the poorly constructed doo doo you post. Ha, see what I did there? I used one of your lines. Hilarious. kthxbye

June 15, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  108. billythebigbone

I though Sigourney Weaver played Corey Haim???

June 15, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • hoofawted

no, Lea Thompson played Corey Haim who plaid Sigourney Weaver as Corery Haim who costarred with Corey Haim as Jeff Goldblum playing Corey Haims role as Steve Guttenberg played by Corery Haim. It was also directed by Corey Haim.

June 15, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

I thought russel crowe played sigourney weaver, or was I thinking of mel gibson?

June 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Aryc Ogre

George Lucas didn't direct Howard the Duck, he produced it. Still guilty for making it happen, but not for directing.

June 15, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  110. MadCityBabe

....someone sure has a hard-on for Corey Haim

June 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  111. tracie

didn't korey hiam play himself inside my sausage maker?

June 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  112. tracie

i definitely agree. i want to see ferris bueller's dooo doo and yes i would eat his sausage maker

June 15, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  113. shakeNbake

I thought Howard the Duck played Corey Haims role as Tom Cruise in Top Gun

June 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  114. tim

If they did remakes this time they could use real doodoo. That Corey Hiam was excellent in Labyrinth also. He played David Bowie.

June 15, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  115. ED

Why dont they just remake all of these again. That is all the script writers know how to do anyhow. Maybe they could do them in 3D this rime and let James Franco or Justin Bieber play the leads.

June 15, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • KeeKeeDee

That's such a tired cliche. If you read the very first paragraph of this article, you'll see this is about 2011 producing some great (very unique) movies, like Bridesmaids and the Harry Potter franchise. Silly comment, sir.

June 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

They are remaking Top Gun apparently – with Chris Evans to star.

June 15, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

how is the harry potter franchise unique? it's based off a book.

June 16, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  116. The Mad R@p3r

Corey Haim was so awesome as Ferris, don't think i'll ever forget his performance.

June 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

Corey Haim wasn't even in Ferris Bueller. Maybe you are joking?

June 15, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hmmm

It's called trolling, Cindy.

June 15, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimi

usually by those that graduated high school with a 6th grade education 30 years ago living in mom and dads basement..

June 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

Mom! Someone insulted my intelligence on the internet! Can you bring me a beer down in the basement.

Also, how precisely does one graduate high school with a 6th grade education?

June 15, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Snarky

Only good movie on that list is "Aliens".

June 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • WilDer

Umm.. The Fly was as good as Aliens.. Labyrinth was good too. Not all these movies are my favorite, but it's funny to compare them to the anonymous dreck that we see today.. No way anyone's going to care about bridesmaid or the hangover in 25 years.

June 15, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • what what what?

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" not a good movie? Pure blasphemy! (unless you don't like fun, which may be the case) Oh and Top Gun is also an american classic that's amazing when you are young or with a beer and a good sense of humor to reminisce when you're older. These statements are more fact than opinion, I have sources.

June 15, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

Man, I saw Top Gun AND Ferris Bueller's Day Off in the theater! It was $3.50 to get in then and worth every penny (even when my allowance was only $2 a week!). Those are two of the top movies ever made! My all time top five movies:

1. Top Gun
      2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
      3. Citizen Kane
      4. Gone With the Wind
      5. Rad

June 15, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pismire

Look. There is no denying it. The 80's was the greatest decade of all time. The best movies. The best fashion. The best music. Sure people will claim the 90's were awesome, and the technology since 2000 is incredible, but everyone knows everything from the 90's -> Now is a play off the 70's and 80's. period. cite what you want, you're wrong, we know it. The internet? Whatever. been there done that in 1981 with BBS's and Compuserve. Ipads? Please. Tablets have been around and supported with touch screens for decades. Thanks microsoft. About time, apple. So don't diss the 80's. These movies are/were classics and I agree with previous people: NOBODY will remember or be able to quote lines from Bridesmaids in 25 years. Hollywood sucks. They've run out of ideas. One commenter said they should remake Ferris. They probably will, because they have no ideas. Bridesmaids. Hangover. All attempts to be more raunchy and modern than bachelor party was, which was a far better movie than noth Brides/Hang... Sorry people. America peaked in the 80's, and its been downhill ever since.

June 15, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Exarkun1138

Sorry, but I have to completely disagree! With the exception of a couple of them, just about every film on that list kicks butt, especially compared to today's movies, which pretty much suck! Heck, even Howard the Duck blows away many of today's "blockbusters"!

June 15, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darrel

HA you cant beat Ferris Beuller... guess you were never good at playing hooky

June 15, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

The ONLY good movie up there?!? Good lord, did you sleep through the others? Possibly too much of a sci-fi nut to know a good movie in another genre? FERRIS is quite possibly one of the single funniest movies shoved onto film. There aren't many – if ANY – people I know that can't recall at least 50% of EVERY...SINGLE....LINE of dialogue in that movie. Sheltered life you had there....so sad. "Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo." You, however, need to rent this flick and watch it.

June 15, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • RabiaDiluvio

I'm glad you said that. For a long time I felt alone in thinking that "Top Gun" was a waste of my 3 bucks. Lousy, campy, predictable and corny.

Then in the 200's it happened again with Moulin Rouge. Worst. Movie. Ever. Dumb in so many ways.

June 16, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • bennybig

LUCAS DID NOT DIRECT .... HOWARD THE DUCK!!!! JUST PRODUCED IT....

sorry if thast was said already :)

June 16, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
    • olive

I liked The Fly. Especially when he went on that killing rampage and was eating all his victims doo doo.

June 16, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • jon

Aliens was ok but nowhere near as good as the original movie. What did you have against Stand by Me, Top Gun, and The Fly? The other movies are open for debate.

June 16, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |