June 15th, 2011

James Franco on Morgan: I can see how he got tripped up

Actor James Franco has played a gay man or two, but when it comes to Tracy Morgan's recent anti-gay tirade, Franco said he sees the gray.

“I don’t in any way condone what he said and I am very sensitive to youth," Franco told CNN at the amfAR (The Foundation for AIDS Research) Inspiration Gala held Tuesday at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.

Franco was being honored along with designer Michael Kors and said he understands how Morgan was caught in a whirlwind of controversy."A lot of the work I do is centered on youth...and to joke about that kind of thing I do not condone at all," Franco said. "But I think he, like a lot of other performers before him, has gotten into trouble because of that weird blurry line between performance [and] reality or how people take it because...Look I can name 20 movies right now where they make gay jokes where they didn’t get this kind of thing but because it’s a movie somehow like they can do that."

"But if it’s a night club it’s a different thing," Franco added. "So I can see how he might have gotten tripped up, but I’m sure he wasn’t speaking his true beliefs.”

"The Voice" coach Cee Lo Green told CNN he has been friends for years with Morgan and recognizes that "It's not easy to be politically correct 24 hours a day."

Green added that he commends Morgan "for coming back and being a better man to apologize for this...But it's kind of hard for me to have an opinion because I'm biased...I'm an advocate of free speech and to speak your mind and do what you feel is necessary but it's not always politically correct to do so."

1. STD datings

Most people living with HIV/AIDS may feel lonely and shamed. If you or someone you know is living with HIV/AIDS or other STDs, please come visit us at STDdatings. Together we're better. Never live in your own dark corner.

June 17, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. charlie crack

@mad r@p3r- Cheers! Great point!

June 16, 2011 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. Suzy Bea my real name

Didn't care much for eighty six I lost my only uncle to Aids.

June 16, 2011 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  4. Beefburger

@ jeffison "Child Protective Services and law enforcement should be involved in the situation." GEEZ! Overreactive much? Maybe you should go back to The People's Republic of California, and shut the door behind you, after which we nail it shut and place boarder guards to protect the real United States. If that Westborough Church (or whatever) has the right to say what they do, then so does Morgan. You PC Nazis just need to get over yourselves.

June 16, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. alovelyladie thatsme

i think emma lds needs some attention.

June 15, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Geri

Evel Knievel, when 40% of homeless teens in America are gay kids who have been kicked out of their family home for a certain part of their personality that they have no control over, it's kind of hard to take 'jokes' like these lightly. When you've seen first hand the kind of heart breaking crap I've seen working with these kids it's amazing to me that people can be so flippant. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you judge how 'sensitive' someone should be. Imagine seeing your father turning from someone who is supposed to love and support you into someone who hates you and poses a real threat to your life. This is reality for thousands of young people TODAY. sad.

June 15, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Vanessa D.

Hey Emma people that didn't want blacks in their schools didn't want gays there either.

June 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Stephen Urkel

Got any cheeeeeeeeese?

June 15, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. EMMA LDS

yeah ! i think they should put him in jail right now for inflamatory speach. these blacks are always causing trouble. i knew when we let them start going to our white schools things like this would start happening.

June 15, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jeffison

If he actually has a son, then Child Protective Services and law enforcement should be involved in the situation. Threatening to stab one's son if he's gay is actually a serious concern and reflects some serious unresolved psychological issues that if left unacknowledged could end up in a tragic situation. Only anti-gay people rant about "political correctness" and "protected speech" here...but there are other more serious issues at stake here.

June 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LEE

I'm glad Franco said that because it's true. It has happened with other actors and comedians. Some call it a stupid moment. Cut the man some slack.

June 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |