Tracy Morgan's TV wife speaks out on tirade
June 14th, 2011

Tracy Morgan's TV wife speaks out on tirade

Sherri Shepherd says the Tracy Morgan she knows is not the man who took to the stage recently to deliver anti-gay remarks.

"The Tracy I know has a beautiful heart," "The View" co-host, who also plays Morgan's wife on "30 Rock," told CNN on the red carpet of Monday night's tribute to singer Stevie Wonder.

Shepherd, who portrays sassy and long suffering "Angie Jordan" on the hit NBC show, said she believes Morgan has learned a lesson following the firestorm of criticism surrounding his remarks, which includes condemnation from friends and his network boss."I think Tracy’s realizing you have to be careful what you say because you represent so many more people than just you," Shepherd said. "Anything you say affects everybody you work with."

The actress said she is pleased that Morgan has since apologized and is now working with Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) to return to Nashville and make amends.

Shepherd said she believes her television spouse will survive the controversy.

"It sounds like his apology is very sincere and I am glad he is making amends," she said. "Tracy Morgan is funny. I don’t think this is going to keep him down."

1. Terry P

To thine own self be true..... If the man believed what he said, he shouldn't backup.

June 16, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. Superhiro

I can't believe people are still talking about this. This reminds me of the George Lopez/Kirstie Alley nonsense from a few weeks ago. Are people surprised that comedians occasionally make tasteless jokes? Is that news? Hell, some comedians ONLY make tasteless jokes.

June 15, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. No friend of Sherri's

"The Tracy I know has a beautiful heart". And this is coming from the women who has admitted to had how many abortions in her life? I don't know if she is the best judge of what a beautiful heart is. Just sayin'......

June 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mejazzbo

Michael Richards used a racial slur when he was being heckled during his night club act. You don't see him around anymore. Why hasn't he been "forgiven".

June 15, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. Butch Thompson

So basically in this article she is saying he has learned not to voice his opinions so loudly. So she supports his right to this opinion. And I guess he does have a right to his opinion. but doe that make him right? No. He is yet another example of the ignorance that exist in the United States, where we are anything but united.
    Everyone has an opinion, just everyone has an a**hole.

June 15, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. Al

Fine... He apologized. I'm sure his ass was in a sling if he didn't (especially considering his c-stars on "30 Rock")! But now let him put his apology to good use. TRACY MORGAN, do a Public Service Announcement for the "It Gets Better!" campaign which encourages LGBT teens to hang tough and get through the torment of high school bullying because life get better and the pain of bullying does not follow you AFTER high school. He could save countless lives by doing so AND would make good on his apology! Come on Tracy, a 30 second, or even a 15 second PSA could mean the difference between a hopeful, living teenager, awaiting all the good that life has to offer, or a dead teen, who felt the need to commit suicide in order to escape the agony of high school! DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

June 15, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. Kevin

Ham!!

June 15, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kiara

Joe
    Give me a break. If he was White he'd be crucified.....enough with the reverse racism!

He's being crucified. TM has knocked Weiner off the map. Now he's the most hated man.

June 15, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. Andy

Kind of brings home that episode of 30 Rock where he's all of the sudden too nice of a guy and works hard to give himself more of a bad boy image.

June 15, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. Dee

I believe if Tracy was a comedian that most felt was funny and entertaining, his comments wouldn't have received the negative feedback and up roar he's experienced in the past few days.

If most enjoyed him.....most would've laughed...and then went on their merry way. I've seen and heard it happen too many times with other comics.

June 15, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. lancesackless

God I miss Sam Kinison

June 14, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JasonV

When such a hate-filled violent rant comes out of nowhere at all and is apropo of nothing – rest assured, it is what he really thinks and who he really is. Like when Mel Gibson was questioned about whether he'd been drinking that night and his response was a tirade about the 'evil jews'. Will you tell me that was a just that just didn' work?

The people here need to watch the videos of his rant. Thnere was no humor or attempt at humor there was just rapid hate. And not just for gays. His comments about women were just as bad. Oh, and threatening to murder your kid – when is that ever funny?

June 14, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

You talk as though you know more than Tracy Morgan as to what he means..and how he feels in regards to his comedy.
      I can almost bet that you've never seen one of his comedy routines......ever.

June 15, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. T3chsupport

I'm neither black nor gay, but to me, saying that you would kill your kid if they came out as being gay is right on par with calling someone a n*g**r in hate. What's even funny about that, killing your kid, or killing someone for being gay? None of that is humorous in the least.

I hope some of that shame sinks in.

June 14, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. charlie crack

Sorry @tia...not a crackhead...just a joke about erratic personality.

June 14, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TiredofApologies

The point of my comment was that sometimes we are quick to forgive. Do I believe that everyone should be forgiven but they should also be held accountable for thier actions.

June 14, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Grow Up

I agree with Tiredofapologies. These vapid, overpaid moderately talented people do not live in the real world. TM should thank his lucky stars he has a job and keep his dribble to himself. He has nothing to offer by way of enlightenment on anything–an overpaid hack who would be the first to yell discrimination if he were fired for his rant. He knows he has a free pass to be an a**.

June 14, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. PhilG.

Tracy Morgan makes one comment about his disatifaction if he found out hisd son was gay and the entertainment world attacks him full force.

GET OVER IT PEOPLE.

Yea,what Tracy said was'nt too smart in a public forum -the world will not crack in half.

Life will go on and Tracy still deserves to have the same job this week he had last week.

June 14, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • STLDan

His disatisfaction???? He siad he would stab the little ni$$er to death with a complete straight face...no joke leading in, none coming out. You call that disatisfaction eh? Well you had better hope no one is ever dissatisfied with you...

June 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sven

The thing is that ALL of the defenders of morgan have and would come out if you just look wrong at a black person. Yet, they defend him. Hypocrisy. But thats nothing new..

June 14, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Olive

Are you saying that only black people are supporting Tracy??

Funny thing about the internet...the racist sure can hide behind their keyboard like Sven.

June 15, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  19. Marky

If there is no moderator on Marquee Blog, pretty soon the only people blogging will be idiots like sirmixalot, and mastermind. There is little real discussion on here anymore, just ranting and fit=throwing. Not enlightening, just stupid. This is the type of thing which should bring about real discussion and interesting debate, instead it's more dumb stuff of the equivalency of "I'd do her" which has nothing to do with what the article is about.

Tiredofapologies, do you really believe there should be no forgiveness, no understanding of context, no patience with people who need to learn? I have gay friends who make all sorts of jokes about being gay, other gay people or whatever. Is this like "Only black people can use the N word and it's just fine if they do"? Whatever, I think people learn from mistakes and, unless Tracy does it again, let it go! Sheri makes money with other jobs, I think she's just speaking up for a friend she knows made a mistake (possibly, since I haven't seen the rant just like Mike said), She knows him better than you do.

June 14, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gomez the Gipsy Guy

Marky Mark, you are not ranting? you silly goose

June 14, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

You make too much sense for this area...but thank you for your voice of reasoning.

June 15, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  20. paul

If you really think the lesson is "you have to careful about what you say", then you are as ignorant as he is.

June 14, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Patricksday

Now Tracy's ignorant mouth is knocking on Sherri's door, if he goes, she goes.

June 14, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Billie

She is an idiot and a racist!

June 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Sue

I realize that TM's haters can be mean, nasty and racist. Two wrongs don't make a right.

June 14, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  24. sirmixalot

Didn't she also play the dad on Family Matters ?

June 14, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mastermind

She ate it and it came out the other end crying mama

June 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gomez the Gipsy Guy

HA HAH HA HAHAHHAHAHAHA! Now I crapped my pants...stop please!

June 14, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Evel Knievel

She looks like she ate her gay kid.

June 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gomez the Gipsy Guy

ha ha ha ha ahaha ha ha. I think I need another pair of pants.

June 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Arthur Fonzarelli

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

June 14, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  28. 2 ears

dont put q tips in me. i am ears. you could hurt an ear drum. only clean ears with a washrag.

June 14, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  29. charlie crack

I think he's a crackhead! Funny @ss crackhead though.

June 14, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  30. TiredofApologies

When are we going to start holding people accountable for their actions and statements, and stop forgiving them so easily? When I am at work I have to treat everyone with the same respect no matter who they are and they in turn have to do the same. If I were to use the same language that any of the celebrities use on their so called "Tirades" I would be fired immediately. I wouldn't be given a chance to apologize to get my job back. Tracy Morgan was working at the time and therefore should be held accountable for his rant. As for these so called apologies, these people are actors for goodness sake. They make a living a playing a role. I don't believe any of them when it comes to an apology. What spews out of their mouths during these rants is how they really feel.
    Wake up and smell the coffee!

June 14, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

I'm a tea man myself.

June 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

I'm more interested in when people will start taking peoples' statement within context, before they put forth overly-sensitive uneducated reactions born of ignorance of all the facts. I've yet to hear or see the performance involved, as have most.

Comedy often involves parody and satire. Morgan is no exception. I'll bet Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal" deeply offended you.

Nope. I believe that the truth is as follows: you WANT to be offended, so you can complain. It's just easier than thinking critically.

June 14, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

You're not a comedian, or an actor, so your edict does not apply. I hate the comedy of about 60% of the current comedians, but I turn them off and read a book or watch a movie. Their personal life is their own, just like yours is. You could be an axe-murderer posting from prison and I wouldn't have any idea, nor would anyone else. Whoop-de-do for your idea that all mistakes are forever and without a chance of redemption. Glad you're so perfect,TiredofApologies......

June 14, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • EducatedChocolate

I agree. If you say he's wrong, then you're a "racist." his apology means nothing. He grew up in the projects, and I'm sure he probably would knife his son if he found out he was gay. That's the way uneducated guys from the 'hood were raised. He can apologize all he wants, but it is truly what he believes. No apologies are going to change that.

June 14, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • PR Lawyer

I agree. People should just stop doing bad things, instead of hurting others and always apologizing. After awhile, apologies don't mean much if you continue to engage in bad behavior. Anthony Weiner, Arnold Schwartzenegger and John Edwards keep saying sorry all the time....

June 14, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • JonW

I couldn't agree more.

June 14, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • pretty piper

He's a comedian....If you can't take d the heat get-out of the kitchen! It's just a tired arnse excuse to further their cause. And if you were at work , you should be doing your job; not talking trash.....Comedians talk trash. Now go fitch

June 14, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paolo

Everyone knows that Sherri Shepherd is a hater too. She said on the show that she would hate it if her child was gay. HATER. Stop trying to stick for him just because he's black like you.

June 15, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Tracey Morgan was on Celebrity Apprentice a while back ask a guest comic.. He said.. and I quote... "if I havent offended someone.. I haven't done my job"

June 15, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • SallyChicago

George Carlin anyone? He insulted and talked about everything, anybody. Don Rickles? Comedians can't be comedians anymore. Now, if you see a comic and feel insulted you take to Facebook and write a report. Used to be you would just walk out.

June 15, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  31. Tim

Your statement has no relevance to the issue. Keep quiet, moron!

June 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |