'The Bachelorette' has the post-Bentley blues
June 14th, 2011

'The Bachelorette' has the post-Bentley blues

I watched a debate last night, but it wasn't the one from New Hampshire. This debate occurred in Phuket, Thailand, and focused on the following topic: "Bachelorette" Ashley Hebert will shake off Bentley's not-so surprising departure and move on with her search for love.

After two hours of back and forth, the answer to that resolution remained up in the air. But how did we actually get here?

Host Chris Harrison told the 12 remaining suitors that Ashley wants a fresh start, and it would be in Thailand. The men are quite excited about this, even though most of them couldn't find Thailand on a map.

Ashley, whose knowledge of Asia may be limited to the band that sang "Heat of the Moment," laments that she still misses Bentley, but is ready to move on.

This week's show features one group and a pair of one-on-one dates. The first solo date goes to Constantine, the Georgia restaurant owner we haven't heard a peep from since the premiere. Ashley decides to take Constantine on a boat ride to a private beach, but it got called off due to stormy weather. Will Chris have to declare this the shortest date in "Bachelorette" history?

Not so fast, as the two opt to go shopping together, where Constantine expresses a love for orange shorts. In the meantime, Ashley is thinking about Bentley. In fact, she likes Constantine so much she has to mention Bentley multiple times as well!

Later that night, Constantine, who likes saying "like" a lot, says he really enjoys spending time with Ashley, who responds by talking about Bentley, as well as giving Constantine a rose.

The group date was the show's annual "giving back to the community" moment, with Ashley and eight suitors working to paint and renovate an orphanage housing victims of the 2004 tsunami. Looking to find a villain in a post-Bentley,  post-"Phantom" landscape, the men feast their eyes on Ryan P., the solar energy executive who served as unofficial work foreman at the orphanage. Yes folks, the suitors are getting nit-picky over renovating an orphanage.

At the post-renovation party, Ashley opts to present the rose to Ben F. the winemaker, shocking many who didn't realize he was still on the show.

The second one-on-one date went to Ames, the renaissance man who previously visited Thailand to climb mountains and attend cooking school. He mentioned how he once hooked up with a woman at a shoe store, making him George Clooney suave with a side of Al Bundy. Ashley notes that she may have overlooked Ames if Bentley were still around. If you organized a Bentley drinking game at your home last night, this is the point where you probably passed out.

Later that night, Ashley admits to having "tunnel vision" over Bentley. Nevertheless, she stops talking about Bentley long enough to award Ames a rose.

It's cocktail party time, and Blake the dentist tells Ryan P. that the other suitors think he's too happy, enthusiastic and grating. Ryan P. responds by comparing himself to U.S. troops serving overseas, then tells Ashley that he's "bursting with a lot of love in his chest." Worst line in a romance novel, ever.

Ashley asks Chris Harrison if she could eliminate just one suitor this week instead of two. Chris grants Ashley her wish, saying there are no rules to the show (I knew it!).

In the end, Ashley bid farewell to West, a prosecutor and widower who I completely forgot was still on the show.

Next week, the gang stays in Thailand, where Ashley apparently has a surprise waiting for her. Here's a hint - you may want to resume that Bentley drinking game.

What did you think of last night's "Bachelorette" episode?

1. unlimited data plans

hi!,I really like your writing very a lot! percentage we communicate more about your article on AOL? I require a specialist on this space to unravel my problem. Maybe that is you! Taking a look ahead to look you.

June 22, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. [ebay.cokm][www.ebay.cpm]

My brother recommended I would possibly like this blog. He used to be entirely right. This post actually made my day. You cann't believe simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

May 15, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rupert

This girl is dumb. Insecure, no common sense, no sense of humor, just pretty dull. She's hung up on a guy who acted like a total jerk, so it's obvious she has problems picking dudes. $20 says she picks no one on this show, or if she does they are already separated. The runner up last year would have been a lot better, better looking girl and her mom was smoking hot so that boded well for her future. Uh plus her family was loaded. Instead they get a dental student who is too timid/dumb to make it in med school so she will check kiddies for cavities and play it safe her whole life. While occasionally dancing along to her collection of Step Up DVD's.

I liked how Bentley said "he" flew halfway across the world for her, as if ABC didn't pay for the whole thing. This guy wouldn't have met her at the end of his driveway, let alone pay thousands of dollars for a plane ticket to hong kong or whereever. I agree with the guy above, I have actually started reading books and doing chores so I don't have to watch this show.

July 9, 2011 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rudey

Could this show be any more fake or any more masochistic?

July 9, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. Christine

What is next for the elimination process on the show? Fighting tigers in Asia? Swimming with the piranha in Brazil? No need to waste roses. Oh, how will the hopelessly insecure Ashley decide what to do?

The producers will have to use their common sense to guide the show in a better direction, it is getting way to pathetic for words.

June 23, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Done with Ashley

This last episode had my blood boiling! Those poor trusting men had to actually fight each other in the ring, while Ashley looked on not stopping it. Come on, when one man gets a head injury and not even a rose for it, it brings heartless and brainless Ashley to a new low. What an absolute clueless airhead Ashley is being. I think a good episode would include Ashley in the ring – getting Bentley knocked out of her head for good. Ashley deserves Bentley!!

June 23, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ann

I thought Ashley was suppose to be soooo smart she is going to be a Dentist!! Evidentially she has no common sense!! She was warned about this looser before it all started and yet she still fell for him anyway! So I say she deserves what she gets for be soooo stupid!!! She got rid of some nice guys and should have given him the boot the first night!!!

June 21, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. Melanie

I totally play the Bentley drinking game - and it so works....

June 16, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tracey

Ashley doesn't take Bentley back......read the spoilers if you don't believe me. Maybe after she sends HIM packing, she will finally be able to move on.

June 14, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Laurie

I think I agree with Bentley that he would rather have Emily on the show. I dont like this girl. Too fake and sappy! Lets start over like in the beginning and start having people as the Bachelor and bachelotte who we dont know, not the rejects!

June 14, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lisa B.

After watching every season of the Bachelor and Bachelorette I have to say that this season has to be the strangest yet. What I can't figure out is why the producers would allow Bentley to fly to Thailand and continue this horse manure that he is playing with Ashley. She obviously is buying his goods hook, line, and sinker, but the producers know what his game is at this point after recording his private "boy tell all moments". Why in the world they would let him come back on the show for more drama is beyond me. Unless of course he fesses up and tells her that he isn't in to her which is highly unlikely but would be nice if he gives her closure after the dot dot dot crap he gave her in LA when he left the show the first time. If he comes back and stays in for the fun of it I think the producers should be shot.

June 14, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Miz Dee

OK, take a look at the picture at the top of this article. Do you notie anything "off"? NONE OF THE GUYS ARE LOOKING AT ASHLEY! They are either looking at each other or down at their hands. Not ONE set of eyes on her! I feel so sorry for this girl, she's probably a very nice young lady but it's obvious none of the guys are there for the right reasons.

As for West (totally hot), I do hope he finds a woman to love him and take the pain of his first wife's death. He deserves happiness. and I'd say that even if he didn't look so good.

As for Bentley Schmently, how many wanna bet he's one of the 3 mystery guys headed to "Bachelor Pad"? Anyone? I can see it now, he hooks up with Vienna only to dump her too ROFL (yo, she's unemployed again? Whazzup wiff dat? Thought she had a nice job) or even better, he hooks up with Gia and gets something to take home to the EX...OK let me stop before ABC offers me a job ROFLMAO

June 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jillmarie

The producers only care about the ratings. They couldn't care less about Ashley's feelings- only what will get people talking.
    A few seasons ago, they had a bachelor in his 40's- Byron Velvick. I actually liked him as a bachelor- he bought a lot of life experience to the table.

June 14, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miz Dee

Ohhh, I remember Byron. Yummy man. He chose a gal named Mary, right? Lived together, never did get married, she smacked him and he dumped her about a year or so ago? Hmm, wonder what he's doing? He was yummy.

I'd love to see a more mature Bachelor. And honestly, it's WAY PAST TIME for a black or brown man to take a run at it.

June 14, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Robin

After watching the previews for next week, I'm so tired of this bit about Bentley. I can not believe Ashley is that stupid, even after being told about Bentley. Why would the producers put someone through that much heartache – that is just plain mean. I hope Ashley wises up and gives Bentley a piece of her mind but I'm sure that won't happen. This has to be one of the worse Bachelorette shows ever. If she allows Bentley back, that's it for me for the season. I hope this show can come up with someone better than what they've come up with in the past. My next question is... why do they only do 20 & 30 year olds?

June 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lawrence

Invite Guy Fieri, I would root for him!

All joking aside, I like Bentley bc he's funny. He doesn't care, just funny to observe...

June 14, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Mike B.

I told my wife if she says "Bentley" one more time (after multiple times) that is it for me , she is on her own.
    It came, and before I could leave the room it came two more times...
    Surely after the Guy Fiasco side of the other Bachelor Program, the producers could have figured it out. They
    may keep the female side of the "Soap Opera" , but if my guess is correct the Male Counterparts have bailed
    like myself to other Shows, Reading a book or for that matter doing the 'honey do' chores that I normally put off
    at all times, now is more entertaining than the Bachelorette.
    ====

June 14, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jillmarie

Is it just me, or are some of her dates boring? Constantine seemed to be grasping at straws to carry a conversation with her. She needs to forget this Bentley guy! I'll bet he comes back at the very end of the episode, leaving a cliffhanger ending. I know he doesn't stay, but I'm curious as to what is said! Finally, some excitement on the show. She will double dump William and Ben C. next week, I'm sure of it! Looks like she'll even cut the date short. I'm liking JP more, he is cute, and seems to be into her the most.

June 14, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Loli

Bentley does not like her, why don't they show her when he spoke and he wished it was another girl and not her!

June 14, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Elinor Turrill

Bringing the uglies back is getting time warn and is just a stupid hook that has been used to often and is now unacceptable. This gal has to be a bit dense if she takes him back. I will never watch this show again if she takes him back, she will then get what she deserves. She is acting like a Bimbo anyway.

June 14, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Chuck Moscatello

if they let Bentley/Smentley back in, that is it for me. NO MORE BACHELORETTE.
    the guy is a Jreakin Ferk.

June 14, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |