'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Will Tracy Morgan's apology put the scandal to rest?
June 14th, 2011

Some pretty surprising news out today surrounding Tracy Morgan’s anti-gay rant scandal. Morgan's now saying he will return to the Nashville comedy club where he went off on that rant to apologize.

I don’t know that it will put an end to things, but Tracy is taking the right steps. Hopefully he will make it clear that his efforts are heartfelt, and perhaps some good can even come out of all of this.

What about you? Do you think this move will put the scandal to rest? Post below.

HLN’s own Dr. Drew Pinsky is joining me for a "Showbiz" Special Report. We’re going inside the minds of celebrities caught up in the biggest scandals today – Tracy Morgan, Casey Anthony and Anthony Weiner.

I’m also psyched about our "Showbiz" Newsmaker interview with Barry Manilow. You have got to hear how he has been influenced by Britney Spears. I’m also going to get his thoughts on stars like Lady Gaga and Kim Kardashian. Does Barry think they’ll be famous in a few years?

Other stories we’ve got on the show tonight…

Jessica Simpson returns to TV, and "Showbiz Tonight" is right there for Selena Gomez’s first appearance since her hospitalization.

See you tonight exclusively at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN!

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. Jim

this is sensible great job!

June 17, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jack

Tracy, you are a fool....just like you jokes. I hope your get fired by a gay producer.

June 16, 2011 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. jack

Tracy, you are a fool....just like you jokes. I hope you get fired by a gay producer.

June 16, 2011 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. MGF

Hey, IronMan1, don't you know "you don't go gay", because baby, you're Born That way???? Tracy Morgan is NOT FUNNY, never was, and I don't know how he still has a career in Hollywood. He must be doing someone right.

June 15, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jess

I think political correctness is going too far.
    I believe in freedom on speech.
    I might not like Tracy’s joke but don’t think comedians should be censor either.
    I don’t condone violence in any shape or form.

June 15, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mr. Wizard

If you wanna be gay, fine. Just shut up about it. We don't care. Keep your gay $h!t in the closet where it belongs!

June 15, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. gayandnotblackthankgod

This half-human creature chose not to be an ignorant gorilla either. he deserves a horse whipping.... oh... I'm sorry.. did I offend?

June 15, 2011 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Kramer

gayandnotblackthankgod

Is this Kramer, the racist, from Seinfeld?

June 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ironman1

what did the man do that was so wrong big deal he told his kid you go gay your not commming back oh boo hoo the gays don't like to hear that get a life you gays and stop puttting your garbage on the people we dont want to hear it you chose to go gay no body told you to go that way you did it to your self

June 15, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. TM-Love

Tracy – let it go. Anyone with half a brain get it...whatever. Just be yourself, don't apologize, well, sorry you felt you had to. Most people understand and if not – they should turn off the tv/radio/life. I'm so over the the phases of the "you shouldn't do this/that/fat". It's dumb and boring. Love you – amazing you are. xo

June 15, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. devin lopez

Listen there is a thing called freedom of speech but sometimes its better to keep ones opinion to yourself.maybe he was trying to be funny but it blew up on him just like cramer from fraiser when he was doing stand up comedey and yelled something racial because he was being heckled.sometimes stuff just blows up in your face.like dog the bounty hunter when his phone conversation between himself was on air cuz he made racial comments about the person he was talkinng to was dateing a black girl.just because there is a freedom of speech law doesnt mean we should go to extream.

June 14, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jaiskjju

Give those weiners i meant whiners a pacifeq

June 14, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sonya

Tracy I was angry at you for making those statements about gays here in my home of Nashville, if your coming back to clear things up then I guess that's fine. We are fortunate to live in America where we have the first amendment yet we still need taste and compassion.

June 14, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fernace

Finally! Mr. Ed the talking horse is on my side! Probably wont last for long, but I'll take what I can get!!

June 14, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. stigzwife

is dis da state 4 "Freedom of Speech"?!?! lol. Freedom of Speech my ass!!!

June 14, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Flossy White

I Am so sicc and tires of gay ppl thinking they need special attention. Does a cracc dealer ask for rights no so they should not either. I wish they waould all go to hell

June 14, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. YAIYO1962

Tracy if funny. Comedy has few boundries. I would be UPSET if any of sons said that and meant it! GO TRACY

June 14, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  17. PhilG.

Whatever happened to this is the United States and you can say whatever you want?

He did'nt say he was going to attack anyone.

He made an over the top reference to what he would do if he found out his son was gay.

Does anyone think he would really do what he said.

This idea that everyone needs to say exactly the same thing has got to stop.

GROW THE BLANK UP PEOPLE.

June 14, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mr. Ed

@fernace first time i agree with u stupid b!tch...lol

June 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Chucklehead

Scandal? What scandal?

June 14, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Walter Sobchak

This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

June 14, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dr. Dookenstien

My pootasaurus rex is nearing completion !

June 14, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. fernace

Yeah, I suppose it's a step in the right direction! What made him think threatning violence toward gays would be funny in the 1'st place! I truly can't belive this article calls Casey Anthony a C-leb! She's a straight up child murderer!!

June 14, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill Kilpatrick

What's funny is not the violence against gays. That's just sad. What's funny is the overreaction of Tracy Morgan as the parent of a kid who announces he's gay. As personalities go, Morgan comes off on the soft side. He overreacts to everything, but in a harmless way. It's obvious, he was trying to use his on-stage persona to parody the parent who flips out to the news. One way to make the reaction less serious is to exaggerate it to the point of absurdity. The problem is that violence against gays, including gay teens, has sometimes been so grisly that there's no place to go. It's already surreal. So when Morgan pulled a Yosemite Sam, he was taken seriously, or semi-seriously, and it was open season on him.

June 17, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  23. ERIC

Black guys are funny. Especially if they are gay. Or jewz.

June 14, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Have you ever heard the saying: "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought of as an 'idiot', than to open it and remove all doubt?"

June 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ERIC

Isnt he that gay black guy ?

June 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill Kilpatrick

I guess I'm not the only one out there who takes one look at Tracy Morgan and wonders about his orientation. I always suspected that Morgan was gay. After this little fiasco, I still do.

June 17, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  25. The Mad R@p3r

I'd respect him more if he went up on stage, read the first amendment to the crowd, then flipped everybody off and left.

June 14, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  26. JR

It's never enough......never.

June 14, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Queenie

I dont care what tracy says, anytime he wants he can punch my ticket -> (__0__)

June 14, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill Kilpatrick

No apology will ever be enough? Wow. That's a pretty smug position to take. The job of a comedian is to make people laugh. Comedy involves conflict short-circuited by wit and exaggeration. If Morgan's Archie Bunker routine failed to make you laugh – because you actually took him seriously – then Morgan has reason to apologize, both for being insensitive and for being unfunny. But if an apology isn't good enough, what is? What would you do to a comedian who fails to make you laugh? What would you do over a comic skit that crashes and burns? And do you feel the same hatred when you go through the drive-thru and they forget to give you your catsup?

June 17, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Evel Knievel

The fudge packers won't let him off the hook.

June 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gladys Fogg

I would let him off the hook for one night of Hot man on man love. I think he is cute.

June 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • ain't_apologizing

That's cuz we run Hollywood baby... so bend over and take it like a man the way Tracy's pappy did...

June 15, 2011 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Cogito Ergo Sum

Fire Tracy Morgan now.

June 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mer

OMG

June 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill Kilpatrick

I wouldn't call these people "fudge packers" but I do agree with the observation that they, the activists, won't let Morgan, the comedian, off the hook for comments he made in a stand-up routine. I thought Morgan's comments were unfunny, not because he joked about the wrong subject but because he failed to structure the joke so that it was taken as parody. Morgan had every right to play the part of a parent who overreacts to news that his child is gay; that's artistically valid. What went wrong – whether it was in the performance, or the hearing by some audience members, or in all the extra comments of weighers-in – was the seriousness with which Morgan's comments were taken. Morgan probably should have structured the joke so that it came off as more surreal. Because of violence against gay teens, there was always the possibility that somebody could take the comments seriously – and page the thought police.

June 17, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |