Seth Meyers can handle your ‘SNL’ critiques
June 13th, 2011

Seth Meyers can handle your ‘SNL’ critiques

Perhaps this is one of the reasons Justin Timberlake is so often a host on “Saturday Night Live” – even head writer Seth Meyers adores him.

“Timberlake is so good,” Meyers tells the Hollywood Reporter of the singer/actor/designer. “I pale in comparison to him. It's like a butter knife next to a Swiss Army knife.”

And if someone happened to tell him that they agree, it's ok - Meyers says he can handle “SNL’s” critics.

“I think people have ownership of the show, like it's a part of your family and you're allowed to lay into it,” Meyers says. “You would never want to trade that for not having passionate fans. My favorite thing is meeting people who say they hate the show, but they ‘haven't watched it in 30 years.’ That irrational, tough-love hatred - that's the greatest thing.”

But the feedback isn't all negative: When he’s out and about in the city, he does get positive reactions from fans, although it sounds like some of them are just backhanded compliments.

“I do get a lot of criticism that’s not necessarily intended, which is like, ‘I love “Weekend Update,” I can’t stand the rest of the show,’” Meyers tells THR. “And then I have to say, ‘Well, I’m the head writer, so I’m responsible for that. Ah, that’s my fault.’ I do own up.”

Filed under: Late Night comedy • television

1. Darth Tater

Watching SNL is like watching a group of chimps flinging doodee at the cage window hoping something will stick.

June 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Linda

I tape every SNL but sometimes I fast forward through most of it. I start watching a skit and if it obviously isn't funny I zip past it. I think the comedians are really talented. It's the writing that lacks.

June 14, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Burt Reynolds

Anybody want a free mustache ride?

June 14, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  4. ian

Watch SNL? About as much as I watch my own doo doo swirl around in the bowl. Just a bunch of talentless pretentious buttholes. *POOT*

June 14, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. dave nelson

I, too fell out of love with the show in the mid nineties. I check in now and again to see if the talent pool has improved, but leave fairly quickly and with great disappointment. It takes more than a good writer to sell a show. It also takes talented actors, which this show sorely lacks. I do admire the man for doing something you rarely see there days, taking responsibility for failure instead of throwing someone else under the bus.

June 14, 2011 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. karyn southwell

Well I think hes great as the anchor of Weekend Update! I admit I watch it mostly for him. Hes great! I hope he never leaves SNL. It takes alot of talent to write for any show.

June 13, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ?

Truker joe, still have lizards at all the lots ?

June 13, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. trucker joe 18 wheel man

He isnt a long haul trucker like me. He cant handle a big rig. I think he is a sissy from new york.

June 13, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |