Ahead of the Curve: Weekly pop culture cheat sheet
June 12th, 2011

Ahead of the Curve: Weekly pop culture cheat sheet

Hopefully you haven't gotten your fill of superhero movies yet, because this week brings the release of another: the anticipated flick "Green Lantern," starring Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively.

To top it off, one of our favorite series, "Pretty Little Liars," returns, and there's also a bunch of new shows premiering. (For more summer TV you can escape sweltering temps with, check out our round-up of this season's guilty pleasures.)

Here's what else you should watch for:

Sunday:

• The 65th annual Tony Awards are on CBS tonight, starting at 8 p.m. ET. Host Neil Patrick Harris has promised not to get too drunk or hog the stage, but here are 9 other things you should watch for tonight.
  • Over on E!, "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" is back with another season, starting at 10:00 p.m. E!'s new series "Ice Loves Coco" premieres right after at 10:30.
  • "The Real Housewives of Orange County" will air it all out tonight with part one of the reunion special on Bravo at 9 p.m.
  • "Glee" is out for the summer, and while the cast keeps busy other "Glee" hopefuls are tuning up on Oxygen tonight. The winner of the reality competition lands a seven-episode arc on the hit Fox show. Catch the casting special at 8 p.m. and the premiere of "The Glee Project" at 9 p.m.

Tuesday:

• "Pretty Little Liars" is back! If you need a refresher course, ABC Family is running a marathon beginning at 11 a.m. The new season of "PLL" begins at 8:00 p.m.
  • There's also another two-hour episode of "The Voice" on NBC tonight starting at 9 p.m.
  • Speaking of music: The deluxe editions of Paul McCartney's "McCartney" and "McCartney II" arrive in stores today, complete with bonus tracks and DVD documentaries.

Wednesday:

• The end is here for season 3 of "Top Chef: Masters." Find out who takes the title tonight on Bravo at 10 p.m.
  • If the "Top Chef" finale doesn't fill you up, there's an extra hour of food TV coming on right after. Rocco DiSpirito's latest reality show "Rocco's Dinner Party," which challenges chefs to see who can create the most delectable food for Rocco's celebrity-filled gatherings, premieres on Bravo at 11 p.m.

Friday:

• "The Green Lantern" swoops into theaters today, with Ryan Reynolds starring as Hal Jordan, a test pilot who acquires one powerful piece of green jewelry that helps him keep the peace.
  • Jim Carrey, meanwhile, stars as the titular businessman who finds himself responsible for a crew of penguins in "Mr. Popper's Penguins," which opens today.

Filed under: Ahead of the Curve

1. laura alabadla

I just love reading all this good @hit.... Keep it comming. Lol.

June 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lorin

Can't wait for pretty little liars!

June 13, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ruth A Farella

Hello. How nice! Keep it up the good work. Take it easy. Have fun and enjoy yourself. ~Smile~

June 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. S - e - x Pistols

Yes, we should always try and catch and clear up our spelling typos before the spelling po po comes by. We should all be like the spelling po po because they are mistake proof. Ahhh I wonder what's it like to walk on water.

June 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mastermind

Slow news day. Don't they usually have a bunch of stupid crap on here by now. Lazy weekend i'm guessing.

June 13, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. @tank

U R SO RIGHT ! Also, it is hard to be humble when u r the BEST ! Lol. USA, number 1 !

June 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. peacsktr

I cant wait for pretty little liars and true blood and im also hooked on teen wolf.
    Lastly I cant wait fo melissa and joey and the secret circle in the fall

June 13, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tank

@ @teddy. Everyone hates us Americans!! It`s not easy being the greatest country to ever exist!!

June 13, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  9. Orange Julius

Dingleberries taste delicious in milk

June 13, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. @seamus

Oh, beats, not bets. Clear it up b4 some1 corrects me ! Lol

June 13, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. @seamus

Oh yeah, now there is a great place ! Bets the he11 outta canada ! Dakotas are cool, in more ways than 1 !

June 13, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. Aaaaaahhhhhhyeah

Dhdhd

June 13, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. seamus

IF YOUR LOOKING 4 COOL GO 2 NORTH DAKOTA LOTS OF WORK JUST BRING A CAMPER AND A HEATER !!

June 13, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. Dennish

Y doesnt south park write a play about Mohammed called the book of the koran....oh yeah they tried that and they were threatened to be killed-that religion of love and peace....those crazy jihadists-at least with the mormons no one will get killed

June 13, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. ole'

That was Sally Fields. She was the flying nun back in the 60s. Time goes by tooooo fast.

June 13, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  16. nancy

I can ! Just like the girl on the flying nun show ! WHOOSH ! ZOOOM !

June 13, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  17. Mr. Ed

@Don thank you for that information. Great to know when I'm eating my breakfast @nancy i'm happy for you and your magic panties. I hope you can fly with them.

June 13, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  18. Panty Wearing Fairy

Thise look really nice. Could we please have some more goober eating deliciousness?

June 13, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  19. @teddy

Y oh Y would u want to move to canada ? Unless u were born there, I could understand. Canada hates us AMERICANS. All they want is for us to vacation there, spend our money, and get outta there ! Y oh Y ?

June 13, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  20. nancy

This is just like a Harry Potter premiere ! I am getting excited !

June 13, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  21. nancy

YES ! My post went through ! Today might be a mormontastic monday ! I can feel my mormy senses tingling ! My magic mormon hat is poised in readiness !

June 13, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  22. nancy

We might get to talk about mormons this week ! What with South Parks Book of Mormon winning so many awards ! It is gonna rock ! I have my magic undergarments on just in case ! The Mormon tabernachle chior is on the stereo ! We are getting ready ! It is gonna be mormonlicious ! A mormonlicious good time ! I hope cnn doesnt block and delete all the good posts.

June 13, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  23. B lo me

@Sunshine girl* how have you been? And, @ Beautiful Vixen thanks for asking about me. Might as well play video games b/c tv sucks.

June 12, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Beautiful Vixen

@Sunshine Girl..you have a great week also and try and keep cool. Haven't seen b lo me around lately, have you? Yeah tv sucks. I don't know why I have cable, same old all the time.

June 12, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sunshine Girl *

Yes its scorching here in West Texas! Over 100° today/all week. THANK GOD my a/c is working now. Honestly the tv lineup looks bad so Ill be entertaining myself as well! Whats w/tv these days? Seems to be getting worse and worse. Well stay cool everyone and pop a CD in the player and relax. Sounds like a good idea to me!

June 12, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  26. canady in

YEAH we is niiiiiice and coooool up here ! WE RULE ! ;) :)

June 12, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. teddy

Me too. As long as the AC is working lifwe is fiiiiiine ! Wish I lived in Canada. Would move there but family and job is here. These days anyone is lucky to have any job. Maybe iLL live long enough to save enough so I can move to paradise. CANADA.

June 12, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  28. mick james

sounds not too wonderful to me. hopefully everyones air conditioner is working ok though. as long as the ac is ok we can entertain ourselves.

June 12, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |