Leaving Las Vegas on 'SYTYCD'
June 9th, 2011

Leaving Las Vegas on 'SYTYCD'

It may seem like it every year, but this was truly the most brutal Vegas week ever on Wednesday night's episode of "So You Think You Can Dance."

One after another, dancers who wowed us in the auditions were told they had not made the cut, eliminating 160 down to 31. We said goodbye to Chase Thomas, "Princess Lockaroo," Mary Kate Sheehan (ouch!), "D.C." Chapman, Hero McRae, Patty Anne Miller (double ouch!), Chyna Smith, and Amber Williams (triple ouch!), among so many others.

In the case of "D.C.," he begged to stay in the competition, and couldn't bear to face his friends and family back home. Debbie Allen gave him a pep talk saying he had nothing to be ashamed of and that she would help him out (one assumes at her dance school).

But none of that was as heartbreaking as the stunning elimination of Arielle Coker, who's auditioned four times. After what appeared to be a splendid performance during the contemporary round, a round where she had been eliminated before, she was summarily dismissed by Allen - something about "we're not sure what you can bring to the show." I don't think I've ever seen such shock on anyone's face before. One of the best auditions of the season deserved much better than that, at least a dance for her life. After so many seasons in Vegas, it remains to be seen if we'll ever see her try out again. Just devastating.

Looking on the bright side, two of my favorites are still in it: Jess LeProtto - who didn't get much screen time, but you could tell he was still in it - and Robert "Woo Man" Taylor. Robert is the dictionary definition of "personality," so I will be very surprised if he doesn't make the top 20.

As for who got screen time, this episode was all about the Mallory sisters, Sasha and Natalia, as well as Vegas veteran Ryan Ramirez.

I was none too impressed with Natalia during their audition, and felt that Sasha would be the one to go through between the two of them (and I still believe only one will make it). Now, I'm not so sure. Natalia threw herself into every single routine, despite being sent to the hospital. If she doesn't make it through, you can expect a lot of upset fans.

Ryan has been one of my favorites since last season, and I was happy to see that her injury, and subsequent hospital visit (is that a record for Vegas?) didn't deter her from being a contender for the top 20 once again. I'm really pulling for her as well.

I also think that Clarice Ordaz, who we didn't see audition, and ballroom dancer Iveta Lukosiute - also a two-timer - will make it through.

All will be revealed on Thursday night's episode, and I personally can't wait.

What did you think of Vegas week? Which was the most shocking elimination for you, and who do you want to see make the top 20? Post your iReport or comment below.

1. Brittain6507

Quite a good read, I always enjoy a well-written article. I can't wait to see more like this soon!

November 29, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. KB

Bess, I completely agree with you. Apparently, the system here ate the other comment I left and it never was posted. Anyway, what did I say was that Debbie Allen adds nothing to the show and makes useless, unprofessional critiques. Also, her question of "Are you shocked?" to Arielle was a joke. No, I'm sure she's overjoyed to be cut for a fourth time. Moronic. Arielle is more talented than at least half of the 10 girls who made it through, but I guess Nigel has a show to cast, and maybe she wasn't pretty enough of giving the pelvic thrusts of someone like Jordan Casanova. It's a shame, but SYTYCD is NOT the be all/end all of dance. It's a good platform, however, and it would have been great for Arielle, but I guess it wasn't meant to be...not by the powers that be at Fox, anyway.

June 10, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bess

The way Arielle Coker was cut made the show look horrible This is my favorite show of all time and I am appalled by the way that woman talked to her How could Nigel let that happen? It made her look terrible and it made her look like a B–ch I am embarrassed that a judge on that show would say something so mean

June 10, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. $100,000 Question

Can you give that ride to Natalia and still survive w/lungs and face in tact? Oh sorry! Question for Dr. Phil. Answer it and you win the $100,000 prize!

June 10, 2011 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. @Paul

I feel sorry for your soul

June 10, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. sarah

I'm so far behind! but i'll be all caught up tomorrow. but based on what CJ said i might end up a little upset with some of the judge's decisions this season. haven't seen natalia yet, how big is she exactly? if they seriously kept her out of pity thats just ridiculous.

June 9, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Perry

Based on your review, and what CJ said. The shows judging staff have lost all credibility. If Natalia makes the top 20.
    I may stop watching. Oh, It has been my favorite show since the beginning.

June 9, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dr. Phil

Anybody want a free moustache ride?

June 9, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CJ Barba

I was shocked that talented Amber Williams was cut!! She was terrific from the get-go yet had little airtime. Amber is ten times the dancer that Natalia is, where is the justice? I do not think that Natalia should have made it this far. She should never been sent to Las Vegas in the first place. Her sister, Sasha, yes. Natalia can't jump/leap gracefully , has no leg extension and looks lumbering out there. The judges seem to be coddling her and giving her more leeway than any other dancer because she's big, boo hoo. She got a "free pass" through the Contemporary routine because she was diagnosed as having Diabetes (no surprise there), yet Ryan -who actually had a tail bone injury had to do the routine in pain. Is that fair? NO! I felt bad for the dance partner that Natalia had because he couldn't lift her...maybe if she had a real dancers body and then he would have had no problem lifting her and risking a hernia. How did it make him feel? If Natalia is picked for the top 10 females. are the judges going to pick the top 10 guys based on if they can lift Natalia? If Natalia makes it to the top twenty I will not continue to watch the show & I will be an "upset fan". I think the judges feel sorry for her, because of her size but there should be no sympathy when judging someone's talent. Personally, I'm not sure what Natalia will bring to the show.......other than her pity party because she's always been bigger than her friends.

June 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. paul

Satan is so way 100 times better than jesus

June 9, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

What has that got to do with anything, besides making yourself look stupid?

June 9, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |