Another (pop culture) France ban
June 9th, 2011

Another (pop culture) France ban

Merci, France.

That country's ban on television and radio news reporters using the words “Facebook” and “Twitter” on-air unless specifically referring to those companies in news stories got me thinking about what I’d like to see banned here in the good old U.S. of A.

There are a few things in the world of entertainment that I absolutely could do without, and given that my last name is “France” it seems only fitting that I follow in the footsteps of that nation and get my ban on. To that end, here are some things I think we can do without – at least for the foreseeable future:

Performances by Beyonce – I love you Mrs. Jay-Z, I really do, but lately you have been everywhere except on my milk carton. Videos, interviews, the cover of Essence magazine, I just can’t seem to escape you while you “Run the World.”

The pièce de résistance was the not one, but two performances on the season finale extravaganza of “American Idol.” Please take a seat and allow your fans to miss you a little bit B.

Olivia Munn – I just don’t get the appeal.

Do not get me wrong, she’s a doll face and totally deserved to be on the cover of Maxim, but why all the overexposure? The nearest I can tell is that the geeks who shall inherit the earth love her from her time as a co-host on G4’s “Attack of the Show!” and her cleverly titled book “Suck it, Wonder Woman.”

I get that she's hot, but so are countless other women in Hollywood who don't get the same breathless, constant attention over who she may or may not be hooking up with (remember the original alleged sexting scandal involving Munn and Justin Timberlake who totally denied it), a prime spot as a correspondent on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" or a supposed parody on  "30 Rock."

Call me a hater if you will, but I'm having Munn of it.

Food shows – When it comes to food TV, I am just about stuffed.

There was a time when I was super hungry for more “Top Chef” spin-offs and such, but now with Gordon Ramsay’s “MasterChef,” and the coming of “Famous Food” featuring Danielle Staub and Heidi Montag and the Mario Batali hosted “The Chew,” it’s starting to look a little gluttonous.

Most times, less is more.

Hyperbole in reality shows – How many times can you have “The most dramatic rose ceremony EVER!”?

Time to jump on the banned wagon and demand a little truth in advertising with reality shows. And yes, I can hear you griping that there is already not much “reality” in reality television, but a girl can dream, can’t she?

Reality show spinoffs – Speaking of dreams: Lord, please deliver us from another “Jersey Shore” or Kardashian spin-off.

The TV programming plan appears to be take one successful show and then see how many iterations you can cram down the viewing public’s throat. After awhile, it’s becomes super diluted so enough already.

Is there anything that we haven’t covered with reality shows from little people to pawn shops? The argument can be made that once we get to the point of producing shows about people who clip coupons, it might be time to move on.

Besides, does the world really need another “Housewives” franchise or some such? The only thing we haven’t seen so far is a reality show, about how they go about producing reality shows.

And now that I’ve put that out in the universe, there is probably just such a show currently in development. *Face palm*

1. Jean

Beyonce is hot and I will do her anytime anyday. I watched her idol performance and if there was a benefit for watching the entire season of idols, it was watching Beyonce perform. She can sing but I dont really focus on that. What I do love is her body.

June 10, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. betron

Love you

June 10, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. MeeToo

Everyone's hot for a while then they fade away. I resent this attack on Beyonce. She's a great entertainer. She sings "for real". She's beautiful. She dances well. She's the whole package. I don't recall an article about someone like say...Britney when she was hot. I don't recall anything about Britney being overexposed and goodness knows she was. Britney is also pretty to look at and her performances were once quite entertaining but she was most certainly overexposed.

June 10, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. James

I know you asked us not to call you a hater...but, I'm sorry, I have to call you a hater.

June 10, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Heliocracy

I say we ban all shows about cops, lawyers, and doctors (and nurses). Seriously...when is enough enough?

June 9, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Keith

Other than replacing B with G...aga, I agree!

June 9, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jose Gascon

.American's have an excellent grasp of meaningless things. Any subject that requires logic is beyound their intelligence. Just look at the educational standards of the schools.

June 9, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tank

Heres an idea. If you dont like somthing dont watch it. Problem solved. Or you could be like a lot of people. Watch crap you dont like just so you can b!tch about it. How about doing somthing you like instead of watching stuff you dont. F***** idiots.

June 9, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Well, if they stopped watching stuff they don't like, they wouldn't have anything to biatch about. And if they had nothing to biatch about, then they wouldn't be able to feel better about themselves.

June 10, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. Miscellaneous

There has already been a reality show about producing a reality show, Lisa Kudrow did one a few years back and it was so hard to watch that it went off very quickly. I have the DVD of that show and it's awful. So let's not have any more of those, please.

June 9, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Name*knifesmith

Ever notice – they NEVER watch reality shows on reality shows? PBS has better comedy, and programs, than the trash we get today from our American writers and producers. Why have we lost the creative edge? "The Office" was copied from a Brit Com, and they didn't do a very good job in the copy. Since it is an award winning program I believe it shows how far down we have come.

June 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. turdparadise

i am not black so these do not apply to me.

June 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tracie

First of all, she is white. And second of all, she would look a lot better with her legs in the air and a big tuurrd coming out of her buttt..

June 9, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lisa

Finally! Someone who is immune to whatever spell Olivia Munn apparently casts. When my boyfriend and I first saw her was her first piece on TDS. When it ended, we looked at each other and said she sucked. Certainly not up to the standards of The Daily Show. Imagine my dread/glee when I had to yell into his office, "guess who's getting her own show!" it boggles the mind.

June 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MM

Ban "literally" and "right", right.

June 9, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Richard

I got another one for ya... let's ban impossibly boring articles on things to ban!... serisously, that's the very definition of popular culture in America = overexposure.

June 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Rock

I would love to fire off both barrels in that hot broad

June 9, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. bill

I don't believe that about B. You are the fool to clean it up. There is probably bed bugs all over the bed anyway. You gotta mean B from the nursing home. Sounds like a Republican to me.

June 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. eze

This article was so terrible that the author didn't even put their name on it. I think this articles like this one need to be banned.

June 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Actually, the byline clearly identifies the author as Lisa Respers France. She also identifies her last name as "France".

June 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  19. fefe

Tell that to Lady GAGA and all the others whom want to be seem next to B so they can be noticed in a room. Right now in entertainment that's all we got. Gaga can't even make it on a stage without falling over her own feet. I thought it was the shoes until I remembered who she reminds me of.

Take a guess.
    But that's what some call entertainment. She's goth nothing on Madonna or Anna for that matter.

June 9, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  20. fried chicken n watermelon

I'm sick and tired of celebrities.

June 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  21. worried

I do believe its true what the writter of this article.There have been an over kill of reality shows.Its like having an over kill of sequils in movies.

June 9, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  22. james

Sorry it didn't work for you Wendy

June 9, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  23. nemo

Sheep!
    VOTE NEMO IN 2012
    "its time for the new world order"

June 9, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Gabe

this article is so pathetic

June 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mr. Ed

I would still do her. She may be a bit big and round but at least it not the soft kind of fat. It's not like a soft cushion. One can still slap it.

June 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  26. tank

Everybody n here who agree with this is a hater Yall juss mad cuz these people out here making money if Yall dnt like it quit watching it

June 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  27. nan

The less Beeitchsay in this world the better!!

June 9, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. tracie

She is white. I want to see a long brown tuurrd dangle from her buthoole

June 9, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. nerp

Soooooooo, I ate ramen last night.....yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah. Oriental is great, but so is shrimp. those are my personal favorites.... add a little soy sauce to the oriental, green onion and mushroom makes delicious ramen.

June 9, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  30. paul

or puppies will sufice

June 9, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Come On

"Reality TV period – Now that I think about it, how about we just ban all new reality TV shows period."

You have in Bold "Reality TV period". But then say only new reality show
    You cant have em both. Either you want reality tv period gone, or only the new reality shows.
    Im guessing its the "new shows" cause if it was all reality tv you wouldnt have anything to write about when American Idol was on, or the X Factor or The Voice
    Would you even still be writing here if them shows werent around?

June 9, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Come On

You have in Bold "Reality TV period". But then say only new reality show
    Would you even still be writing for this place if them shows werent around?

June 9, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Shrikar D, Philadelphia, PA

To all those folks griping this is not 'news' etc: Ofcourse not, this is NOT news. It shows under Entertainment and as a blog. Lighten Up people! I for one, found it quite amusing and that bit about Beyonce being 'everywhere except on my milk carton', quite clever & more importantly funny. Nice going Mme. France!

June 9, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. paul

i shall sacrifice children to the gods of the necronomicon for the destruction of france

June 9, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  35. shinyhappy

Can u say "Blog?" Its opinion, that's the point. And if you can't rant on a blog, or the subsequent comments that follow, then the internet has become a sad, sad place.

June 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • À. Ï.

Blog i said it! Two points griffindor...wrong blog? Very sad indeed. I ban my comment and all the rest of them.

June 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  36. paul

Satan is better than jesus

June 9, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Ilenej

Loved it! Written with great wit and humor something the writer's namesake doesn't have!

June 9, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ilenej

I love it! Great article by someone though named France , actually has wit and humor ! Unlike his or her namesakes!

June 9, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Zach Effron

Arabs throw acid in womens faces for not wearing a veil

June 9, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. tc

back-up dancers are hotter, B has an enormous kiester that is getting bigger, and needs to drop about 50 pounds.

June 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Triv

It is sad how objective and balanced journalism has been replaced by opinionated rants.

So any idiot with an axe to grind can be hired. Throwing away spill-xkeck and syntax is the icing on the cake.

Triv

June 9, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Bemused

Yeah, agree on most of these, except for Beyonce. I don't give two lefties about her singing, but I sure do love that pic. Joe Camel–er, Jay-Z is one lucky b@stich.

June 9, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  43. Emelia Kanson

Where the Hell are Justin Bieber, the Twilight series and Lady Gaga on this list? They're much more of a problem, I can't watch TV or walk through my own home without hearing about them.

June 9, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  44. The Mad R@p3r

Ban the kardashians please.

June 9, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  45. dragonwife

Here's a challenge: Take any modern movie. Delete all special effects (CGI, choreographed car chases, explosions, simulated gore, etc.). Follow only the dialogue and the actual action. Does it still interest you? Is there an actual plot, or at least continuity? Sadly, most films today would flop dismally. TV is pretty much the same – a lot of flash and not much substance. There are supposedly some good shows out there, but they're getting fewer and farther between. Now, I'm not saying that all the bells and whistles are junk; I love a movie or show with great effects as much as anyone. But it seems like the vast majority of "entertainment" nowadays has become the "vast wasteland" Newton Minow complained about in the 60s. Hundreds of channels, and nothing worth watching... pretty pathetic.

June 9, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  46. NW

You can add Justin Beiber and all those teen stars to the list. Today's music sucks. It has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with gimmicks.

June 9, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  47. Jax

Is this news? It's editorial ENTERTAINMENT BLOG news. if you don't wanna read it, don't, but for the love of Pete, at least pay attention of what section your reading.

June 9, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  48. celticfaerie

Don't worry, geeks hate Olivia Munn, too. She's not a real geek anyway.

June 9, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  49. justin

How about a journalist talking about "banning" anything in the US while enjoying his free speech by posting useless opinion articles like this? How about you try your hand at some real reporting and make some positive change in the world?

June 9, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  50. barry

Amen! To reality shows. They are all terrible. It's lazy tv. I will only watch sitcoms or animated comedies like south park.

June 9, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Maid Service

B is a wino. When we clean her room there are empty wine bottles tossed all over. Plus after she passes out she doookies and take a pee all in the beds and on the furniture. Its just a smelly foul mess. She is very nasty person.

June 9, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  51. Sheri

Way to go CNN!!!! very cleverly written and extremely entertaining!

June 9, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  52. Anthony Weiner

Did somebody say Weiner?

June 9, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  53. Jeremy

I couldn't agree more. Our "culture" sucks right now. We are losing touch with the arts. Our culture has become a commodity. (Like fatty fast food) Nicely packaged and sold to all the sheep out there. Everyone wants to be a sellout. (Like Beyonce) Sure there are many great things out there if you look outside the mainstream – but that takes effort to find these things. If you grow up inundated with bad pop music, cookie cutter movies and mindless reality television (as most are today) you are going to grow up with a bad taste of the arts in general. The stuff today is made for the lowest common denominator – and you wonder why America is getting dumber by the second? Sad thing is in capiatism it's all about what sells and makes money – culture and intellect be damned so I don't see this ever getting better.

June 9, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  54. carib1

Opinions like this should be for the gossip column or TMZ not CNN, I agree with some statements but stay professional

June 9, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Seeker76

As much as I generally despise pop culture and all it portrays, stands for, and encourages...I think I have to agree with you.

June 9, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Maury Povich

This is news???

June 9, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  56. JIm HOLLIS

All are addictions. None are being treated. Onwards to oblivion.

June 9, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  57. Sammy Reynolds

No wonder CNN is getting their butts kicked. They are letting idiots like this write for their websites

June 9, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  58. HEY!

YOU SUCK CNN!

June 9, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • CNN

What did I ever do to you?

June 9, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • wendy

WOW...photoshop works wonders on Bs hips and tree trunk thighs.

June 9, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Annas still dead

Dumbest article of all time....until tomorrow's CNN Sarah Palin article.

June 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babak

This should be more about the counter culture laws of France and not her personal opinion. CNN sucka

June 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mei

Never heard of Olivia Munn (at least not the name). If you stop reading those crappy magazines, then you won't see too much of these people.

June 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |