'The Voice' goes live on a high note
June 8th, 2011

'The Voice' goes live on a high note

"The Voice" has done it again.

Every week I think there’s no way the contestants can keep wowing us, but last night was no different.

“The Voice” went live for the first time, kicking off the finals round and the remaining four weeks of live shows with 16 artists. That's four singers per celebrity coach on the panel.

The show started off with a bang when celebrity coaches Christina Aguilera, Adam Levine, Cee Lo Green and country crooner Blake Shelton belted out a medley of Queen songs. They brought down the house before the show even started. Christina ended the medley by showcasing what she is known for: nailing those high notes. She was back in top form and I loved every minute of it.

Both Blake and Christina performed with their four chosen singers. Team Blake opted for Maroon 5’s “This Love” and Team Christina went for “Lady Marmalade.”

Team Christina seemed to be locked in a battle of its own between Beverly McClellan, Frenchie Davis and Christina herself, with all three of them bringing their A game and hitting those hard to reach notes.

Then it was time for the solo performances. First up was contestant Raquel Castro, who sang “Blow” by Ke$ha. She got glowing remarks, and even scared Blake for a second, since he was worried about her strong performance up against his singers.

But then came Jared Blake, and before he even sang the first note of his rendition of Kings of Leon's “Use Somebody,” you knew he was going to rock it hard. Jared delivered, and Blake quipped that he was tired of everyone saying that Jared was the guy of second chances, adding that he's earned his chance now.

Of the remaining six singers, three stood out. Professional singer Dia Frampton of the rock band "Meg & Dia" perhaps took the biggest risk. The Team Blake member performed a rap song with just her voice and a piano, doing a rendition of Kanye West's "Heartless.”

Adam Levine took note, saying it was the most refreshing and unique thing he’s seen on “The Voice.” Beverly and Frenchie were the clear front-runners. Beverly sang Melissa Etheridge's "I'm the Only One" while Frenchie opted for "When Love Takes Over" by David Guetta and Kelly Rowland. It's been hours since their performances and I'm still torn between who did a better job, but I'm leaning toward Beverly.

Of course we are still early into the finals with a few weeks left, and Team Adam and Team Cee Lo haven't even performed yet. But one thing is for sure: “The Voice” is addictive and perhaps producing some of the best singing we've seen on television in a long, long time.

What’d you think of last night’s show? Did I miss a singer who stood out for you? Sound off!

1. jcpink007

The writer of this article must have been tone deaf.... or really, really bored to find that episode of The Voice that entertaining. Almost all of them sounded off key and looked awkward trying to sing someone else's song; with the exception of Dia – who nailed it. While she did perform a Kanye West song it was completely unique from his version; I actually like her's better!

June 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. weazy

Dia put me to sleep, Beverly and Frenchie schreaking out the high notes bother my ears...... my fav's Jared and Racqel.
    fav judge- Blake Shelton. He comes across genuine. I don't even know who Celo is never heard of him...

June 9, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robin A

Luv the show! It's edgier n fresher than Idol (yawn)! Luv the banter between the mentors! Luv the constructive advice they give their team pre-show. Oh....n about the Queen medley...only one man can do Queen justice.....ADAM LAMBERT....the real VOICE!!

June 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mbane

Is this what music has become? How about some original material? Sure they have great voices but this is just glamourized kareoke. It's like those guys at malls who draw your portrait for a few bucks. Technically gifted but no creative talent. That's what seperates them from the great artists like Picasso and Dali.

June 9, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabor47

Forget about Picasso and Dali. I'd rather mention REAL idols, super-popular musical characters. Such as Bob Dylan who had literally no voice to speak of (but he wrote excellent tunes of his times), or Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits (also barely any voice, but he wrote great songs and he had a superb guitar talent) and many similar ones. It is the SUM of these people what matters to the audience, not one particular aspect.

June 9, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Donna

Awesome! XtinA was great! Beverly had the best performance but frenchie is in it to win it as well. I almost stayed up all night watching it bcoz i had 2nd and 3rd round watching thr show online!

June 9, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. museummin

I thought most of the singers were really karaoke-quality. Their voices are fine, but nothing special, and I've heard a lot better singers at the corner karaoke bar. Some of the song choices were also terrible, probably contributing to the mediocre quality of singing. I was really hoping to love this show, since the singing quality overall on shows like American Idol tends to be pretty crappy, but after a few viewings, I realize that, with the exception of maybe one or two of the singers on The Voice, the pool on this show is nothing special either. Disappointing.

June 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greek100

Agree 100%, Frenchi Davis – am sick of her rifting, racquel, karoke queen, none on either of these teams so far has anything different to add to music. Waiting for Adam & CeLo's groups I'm more partial to their talent. Christina is so pro-women by her obvious selection and am sick of the 'vote female' that ruined AI w/JLO's comments and now this. Vote for talent not cause they shave their heads and try to act male! I am female by the way... Opening Queen song disgraceful...anyone who says this was fantastic isn't privy to talent.

June 9, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michele

Is everyone deaf? Almost all singers (including Frenchie) were horribly off key. The first gal that sang the Keisha song was so off I honestly thought it was a joke. When the judges all praised her I was so confused. *Maybe* two singers would make top 24 of American Idol, but other than that it was a train wreck! Frenchie and the gal on the piano. That's it. That's all they got. Everyone else made my ears bleed. I'm absolutely shocked to read this glowing review and the comments after. I'm not hearing what everyone else is.

June 9, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. About AI

If they don't change the voting system the "tweens" will always decide who wins. DWTS has it right, as far as voting goes.

June 9, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  9. Name*Kyle Kris

What is wrong with some of you people? It's a fun show. As for the Christina bashing, you must have some major issues of your own to work out if you have nothing better to do than criticise someone you dont know. You know the coaches are directed to take on a certain persona, just like the AI judges. Guess what? It worked! You're all talking about it and will tune in again next week so you can complain about something else in an attempt to further put off the fact that you have nothing better to do with your life. In the end, NBC wins no matter what you feel about the contestants or coaches. If you

June 8, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. connie

I saw someone mention this, but I wanted to ask again.... is Dia really as shy and awkward as she's making herself seem? She's been part of a band (Meg&Dia) for a while and has performed MANY shows. Even if she does experience some nervousness (I'm sure MANY famous singers do), she should be somewhat used to being in front of a crowd by now.

There are even youtube videos of her performing concerts and she's moving around on stage and NOT being completely awkward. The show makes it seem like she NEEDED the piano in front of her to keep her calm, but clearly she can perform just fine. I'm not saying that she doesn't experience butterflies, but I think the extreme shy personality that she's portraying is an act. Also, I don't understand why they never even mention that she's a professional singer... why did they just say she was a writer...

Someone please explain this to me.

June 8, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • connie

When she's asking Blake questions, she's also acting like she's had very little experience performing.

June 8, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dee

Christina has great pipes but I thought at one point she was trying to morph into Lady Gaga with the horrible hair, make up and clothing. It would be nice if Christina would dress more appropriate for her age and body shape lighten up on the make up and stop saying stupid stuff and become a better role model. I was surprised to see such great talent in some of the artists. Frenchie and Beverly have very stong vocals. This show is refreshingly different than AI.

June 8, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dvnovert

I loved all of the contestants and the ones I wasn't so excited about totally amazed me, in particular Dia.
    It's going to be so hard to say good bye! They all deserve recording contracts!

June 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. H. Crump

Loved this show from the 1st moment I saw it. Kudos to all the contestants who have the nerve to get up in front of millions of people and sing your hearts out. Do not give up on your dreams. Hold your heads up high and ignore the haters. Best of luck to you all!

June 8, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Thud

1. Dia was the best of the night
    2. McClellan surprised me..the first first song where she did not go over the top.. the cold helped. Great Job
    3. Frenchie could fill the void left by Tina Turner when she retired.
    4. Christina Ag HO ilera looked bloated in those shorts They made her legs look Fat. She gave backhanded compliments at best if she said anything remotely nice about the other team. She spent most of her time sniping at Blake or Adam.
    4b. She used Dancers background singers and loud music to try and distract everyone and hide the out of pitch singing of her first singer. Great band pumping up the music and crowd, the background singers were far better than the girl, nice performance but poor singing.

June 8, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jb1069

Christina is all woman! If you don't think she's gorgeous you probably like the bald dike with tattoos.

June 8, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Edward

The Voice is a far better show than American Idol I love how involded the coaches are with the singers it is very refreshing to see.

June 8, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jb1069

All you girls haten on Christina are just jealous of those beautiful curves. She is so HOT!

June 8, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  18. xpert

oh, yeah, Carson if terrific.

This show makes American Idol look dated, ridiculous and obsolete.

June 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. xpert

Beverly was perfectly attired in her kilt, jacket and boots! She is Scottish - with punk origins.... the kilt needed to be shorter–right above the knee to really give the right effect.

Christina needs to trim down.

Dia was the best of the night. Beverly next....

June 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Carolyn Jackson

To me, Beverly is lacking in originality, except for the bad look. Yes, she sounds just like Melissa Etheridge, which is good but far from original. Dia and Xenia had the most original sounds and could ultimately become the biggest stars because of that – give us something new, stylish and appealing, not a repackaging of what we already have.

June 8, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cms

I watched the show but I honestly mute it for most of the judges commentary. Christina is so annoying, I think its obvious that the other judges really don't like her either. The singers are great though, Dia's performance was awesome. I find the elimination rules a little too complex and confusing if you don't watch the show very week.

June 8, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Gabor47

The Voice sucks. I mean, I love music, even if sometimes lower quality than average. However, this program drives me crazy. Enough, that first time in my life, I switched channel and started to watch something insignificant. Why? Because the actual total singing time was a few seconds less than 8 minutes PER HOUR of broadcast. Last week I was watching and noticed this totally disproportional distribution of meaningless chatter, commercials of course and the actual performance time. This week during the first hour, I checked with a stopwatch the total performance time during the first hour. It was less than 8 minutes. I continued into the second hour, but about half way I have had enough.

And people complained about American Idol? Based on personal preference that can be judged as good, mediocre or bad, but the Voice is nerve-wrecking. And allow me not even to remark of the quality of the singers.

June 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Andrew

me thinks that good singers will loose because of poor coaching; not cool!

June 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ShaneB

I liked the following from last night, in no particular order:
    Raquel
    Dia
    Xenia
    Beverly
    Frenchie

June 8, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  25. June bug

Christina was holding her own with the guys. Why should be act meek and sweet? Just because she is a girl?? No way. She's doing fine but she does need to realize she is not a cute size 0 anymore. Those shorts need to be retired, girl. Your hips are a bit too large these days.

June 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  26. MB

Xenia was my favorite. She still needs to develop her stage presence, but as far as a voice, she is the one I would be most likely to buy music from.

June 8, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Clarice

I LOVE this show! I think everything about it is much more entertaining than Idol. The coaches, the performances, and Carson Daly.

June 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabor47

I respectfully disagree. I was hoping that based on the errors in the American Idol, the Voice will be a better program. It simply isn't. 4 songs in a one hour broadcast is unacceptable, no matter how great the singers would be, but they are so far from great that it isn't even funny. If I want to spend an hour to listen to music, I go on Youtube and I can pick from thousands of great tunes. The idle time (not idol) made me kind of fidgety even on AI, so sometimes I just skipped watching it and by next day all the songs were on Youtube. This year the AI learned from the mistakes of the past couple of years and certainly made some significant improvements. Unless the Voice will make some quick changes, it won't run beyond two seasons.

June 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  28. formerfrontman

I thought the Queen medley was an embarrasment for those singers. They were flat, out of sync, and obvously think they can do no harm. But that was an atrocious display of singing. Give it up, Judges. You don't have the chops and poor Freddy was spinning in his grave after that horrifying act.

June 8, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabor47

formerfrontman wrote:

"I thought the Queen medley was an embarrasment for those singers. They were flat, out of sync,"

I totally agree. I heard much better presentation by nameless, faceless, unknown characters in clubs.

June 8, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Justine in Florida

Whoever convinced them to sing Queen needs to be fired. I can't believe all four went along with it. As for the contestants, I think the belters stood out and the softer singers were out of place. Which is too bad since the softer singers were quite good, despite their obvious problems with on-stage "presence." I'd like to know why the dance coach thought telling Xenia to stick her arms out "left and right" was a good idea since doing so made her look like a grade school singer. If the girl wants to hold her hands together, then let her. She's not a belter; not her genre. For me, I actually thought Frenchie stole the show at the end, but that Beverly and Jared did bang up jobs, also. I'd also like to chime in about Christina and her look – frankly, this is the "look" she's had for the past 10 years, the bleached out platinum blond with the red lipstick and it's rather cheesy. Her hair is straw and she needs to tone it down, put a little conditioner on it, and lay off the extensions. As for the short-shorts, sorry, they simply didn't work. All in all, I like the show and I like the banter between the judges.

June 8, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Alex

wow Christina Aguilera was amazing! Her Lady Marmalade perfomance along with her team was the highlight of the night. she's still dirrty and she's still got that energy of Burlesque.

Frenchie and Raquel are my favourite ones, while Xenia and Dia were awesome as well but they lack of stage presence.

Btw, Christina and Blake were so funny !!!

June 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  31. jimbo84

It's a great show – a lot of talent. I thought the opening medley was poor – the guys did not harmonize well...Christina's outfit was scary (I thought something was wrong with my TV at first – throw away those shorts girl). Adam's guitar solo was top notch – but the rest of the medley should have hit the editing floor. I thought Blake's teams' rendition of the 'Maroon 5' song was awwwffuuullll.
    For Christina's team: Frenchie and Beverly were stars and probably best of show. For BLake's team – I'd give the nod to the two men. The girls were good; but not as solid as the two men – at least on last night's show.

June 8, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justine in Florida

I thought the opening number was dreadful, but the show is "live" – at least they claim it to be live (who knows, maybe the Queen song was pre-recorded and inserted into the live show). The only editing that needed to be done was the week before the show when someone said to them "Hey, let's do Queen!" Dude needs to be fired for even suggesting it.

June 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sandy

IMy favorites were Lilly and Raquel. Team Christina was strong, but I also loved Patrick Thomas.

While l am a Christina fan and certainly not a prude, her repeated comments about Patrick taking off his pants were inappropriate and frankly, even I felt uncomfortable even time she made those comments. I can only imagine what that poor young man was feeling. Christina, I love you, but please go back to your classy self. You're a great talent and a gorgeous woman. Don't spoil it.

June 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  33. PVR Watching

My wife and I were watching the part where Christina was singing with her 4 contestants and she lifted her arm above her head. I commented on the big white patch where the self tanner didn't go and my wife commented on Christina's Areola showing on her right side. I didn't believe her so she replayed it on the PVR and sure enough, there it was peaking out just a bit. I missed the first part of the show but if her outfit was anything close to that one then she needs to fire her wardrobe consultant. Outside of that the show is pretty good.

June 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  34. L Hill

I love the show but found alot of annoying distractions last night. From Christina attire, make up and buxom blonde hair to Beverlys ridiculous outfit to team Blakes poor rendition of a Maroon 5 hit! I thought their voices were way too low and flat and poor Xenia looked lost. I hope this all improves in time. And Cee Lo, put the shades back on my man!

June 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Rohan, san Diego, ca

Fantastically planned show and added to that it is live. The battle between the teams and within teams makes it so awesome to watch. What a hit for NBC. Nothing can beat this show now. Judges are fun and a fantastic production.

June 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Dixick

This show is different and I'm enjoying it. Beverly is a standout last night but I know there are many singers yet to sing. Adam and Blake are very good judges and coaches – looking forward to next week!

June 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. JenBen

I'm sorry, Frenchie was flat. Beverly rocked it out but what was with putting her in a kilt and a military jacket? Let her be herself, for Pete's sake!

June 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  38. BB

Javier is the winner....best singer by far.

June 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Mike in Montana

Great show, great performers and coaches, and a little bit of a judge, too. NBC.., you have hit on your hands and you know it. Haven't been this excited about a entertainment television show in a long time. As for 'Idol'.., 'The Voice' is a lot more fun and enjoyable to watch and the little in-fighting among teams and coaches, beings a special add-on to the mystery and suspense of the show. Can't wait until next week.. Mike in Montana

June 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  40. MM

I like the show. I gave up on AI years ago. Christina needs to stop with the snarky, baiting, and unprofessional comments to both her fellow judges and contestants. If u took away her voice and albeit fading looks, she'd be the person at the party or at work that everyone avoids. Work on that unappealing personality please.

June 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  41. compost

I quit watching Idol after it turned country karaoke this year. This show does not have the huge budget of Idol it is very entertaining. Christina does need to tone it down. Dia is an undiscovered artist and I appreciate The Voice giving here a platform. She may be someone who's music I will buy and enjoy and that's good. I thought the Lady Marmalade performance was killer.

June 8, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Carol

It's funny how the media praises christina for everything yet the public clearly doesn't like her. The unique twist of the show is why people are watching and some of the singers are good but I can't stand Haguilera so it's hard to watch this. I would watch if she wasn't there. I like the premise though.

June 8, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  43. sarah huffman

I think everyone did an amazing job. beverly is one of my favorites but im all abot team vikki. im waiting to see her take it home. love vikki!

June 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  44. T-Bone

Next week will be amazing when Team Cee Lo and Team Adam face off. For me, this contest was over last week. Team Adam will win. It is inevitable. Adam has both Jeff and Javier, which are hands down the best singers in the show. Don't get me wrong, the other singers are good, but Jeff and Javier are so much more exceptional. My personal favorite is Jeff. That boy can sing!

June 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  45. michael w. Dzury

nbc had the best shows on tv last night.

June 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Suzanne

Christina, go home, she is sickening and degrades the show, and is so annoying and offensive, PLEASE WHO EVER PUT HER ON THIS SHOW TAKE her OFF, I turned the channel, I love to hear good singing, but she is such a pain to hear and watch. forget it

June 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Arlee

Since the series had started I have made a couple of observations. First off what is with Cee Lo and Christina using this format to promote their sorted lives, telling some contestant to take his pants off, what's with that, I was embarrassed for him. If Blake Sheldon tells some 19 year old girl to take her pants off you don't think he would suffer the repercussion of that. Reel in the judges, I thought they were professionals, not horndogs. Second thing don't stiffle the creativity of some of the contestants because the last thing this show needs is another bland middle of the road singer. Cause at the end of this ordeal the Voice's winner will compete against the American Idol winner on the charts and the winner of that will get a big ratings boost for it's show next season.

June 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  48. TM

Country guy singer:I sing this song in honor of my sister. We have an strong connection that keeps us close. The song represents my strong desire that she seek out and accomplish all of her dreams.

Christina:I want you to take off your pants.

I seriously think Christina may have been tipsy by the end of the show.

June 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Jim

What are you people watching? The talent on this show is no more than sub-par! Christina is an annoying "has been", and Cee Lo offers very little good advise! The last four weeks were incredibly slow four performances in an hour?), and last night wasn't much better (11 performances in two hours). I'm trying to give this show a chance, but it's gotta get better! The only good thing I've seen so far is the banter between Adam and Blake.

June 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Paula

I am more impressed with Adam and Blake as judges. Celo is "nice" enough, but not big on his singing ability. But then, he is better than I would be.
    I also liked Beverly. She is scarey looking, but does have a pretty face. I laughed when I caught myself trying to imagine her with hair.
    Christina – Her hair must be like straw. That platinum blonde thing has to go. I just wonder who is telling her that it looks good. Come on and do her a favor. She can be much prettier with less.

June 8, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Kitty_Kat

Love, love, love Adam, but even my 11 year old said the performance by the 4 stars at the opening was "cheesey". He walked out of the room. My 14 year old and I hated the first performer and couldn't watch anymore.

June 8, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Amy

Love the show but yes Christina is so annoying and talks over everyone and wont shut up! I also thought her ta tas where going to pop out a few times or her butt cheek from that diaper she had on. Seriously have some self respect for yourself girl!

June 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Derrick

My reactions to the show were all positive. The contestants were well prepared and sounded great. I thought the coaches did a good job on the Queen medley, especially when you consider that most of Queen's music would rank high on "level of difficulty." And frankly, Christian is a beautiful woman with terrific legs. I found nothing to complain about. Any weaknesses in format or contest rules can be adjusted over time. I feel the most important thing is that the coaches came through is selecting great contestants and are making every effort to truly mentor them. IMO, the first live show ranks as excellent.

June 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dawn

I enjoyed the Voice from the start. Lots and lots of talent. Very Very entertaining. Far cry for AI no comparison. I also enjoy the banter between the mentors. All of it makes for a hit show. Next week should be even more entertaining.

June 8, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  54. wendy

i believe the voice is very refreshing. it is nice to see constructive and compassionate criticism. many of the comments posted need to understand that. many of these contestants are new to the stage and many are not by i do believe there is true sincerity in the coaches and that is what Ameirac needs to have more of.

June 8, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • bertha

This lame show would be more fun if I came out bared my ass, farted out a couple numbers, took a steamy melvin on stage and then rolled around in it yelling obscenities. Hell I would probably get a standing ovation.

June 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Joel

Raquel put on a good show. But she missed a ton of notes and was bad overall. I was more disappointed by the judges saying she was fantastic though. And the way they narrowed down their own teams pitting good singers against their worst ones, and then claiming the choice was tough was a total farce. Laughable even when the judges acted dramatic about the tough choice.

June 8, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  56. ms7

Since when is heartless by kanye a "rap" song?? Its not even closÉ

June 8, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Tony

I haven't watched because of any of the stars actually. Though right now, if I had to pick one of the best coaches, it'd be Blake. He comes across genuinely happy for his team, kind of fatherly. He's such a good support system.

Christina gives a tidbit and does her fake arms in the air and woooooo that comes across like someone half paying attention at a club, hears a song they like and yells for a sec.

I guess we'll see next week how the others are.

June 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  58. TH

Last night's show was the first I've watched. I was NOT impressed.
    Many have said the opening number was a bust. I agree. I don't
    know Cee Lo. Was he trying to sing? And CA's voice and antics
    were not her best.

From all the promos and watching last night, I'm confused if the show
    is all about the Judges rather than the Contestants. I wanted to hear the contestants.
    Not the performances and the silly banter with the Judges.

I'll not be watching it again .......

June 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • SMD66

I watched some of the audition shows and couldn't get into it. I watched some of the show last night and was not impressed. One of the things I didn't like about Idol this season was J.Lo's promotion. It's about the constestants and not the judges. The opening act was horrific as were the team acts. Most of the singers were out of tune. A few were good but none of them have any star power. And Christina....girl...please beat your stylist! That outfit made you look like a fool.

June 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Tony

I'm still not sure how anyone can think Beverly is a front-runner. In the auditions and battle, she hasn't had to sing out of her genre. The guy she sang against did and did a great job. We were positive at home that she was gone from that,but I remembered that Christina really likes to have the women on her team. Bev hasn't proven that she can sing a range of anything yet. Hopefully the next round, she'll show us something more. I'm not ruling her out yet, but a few others have shown us more so far.

June 8, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ava_Lantia

That's the thing. This isn't AI. They aren't going to make a singer stray too far from their wheelhouse. And thank godness! I hate "theme week" on AI. It's pointless. Just give me great singers doing what they do best!

June 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  60. GaGa

shut up. the only reason ppl watch this show is MOSTLY because Christina is in it. She's always the best

June 8, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

oh yes and to see the trainwreck she has become!

June 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • T-Bone

I love Christina, but I have to agree with everyone regarding her choice of outfits. She needs to either cover up those thighs or trim them down. Showing that much leg last night was distracting, and not in a positive way.

June 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Cinzia

I have to agree with Everyone dissing Christina... I couldn't take my eyes off that hideous outfit and thunder thighs ugh! Half her butt was hanging out those shorts by the end of the show. DEF not an outfit to put on that body... girl you need someone to tell you Truthfully how you look in your outfits!! Yes, too much makeup... lighten up and you will look SO much better. You're a mom, act like a classy woman, not a teenager wanna-be. DEF BEVERLY is AWESOME!! Amazing voice!! But I agre that the numerous tatoos are a major distraction to her voice. What a shame. Can't wait to see Adam's team. I love him, he looks like such a great guy to hang around with! The men are classy, Christina feels like she has to diss them constantly, not classy girl... not classy at all.

June 8, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Bloggulator

What the world needs now,
    Is another R&B singer,
    Just like a hole in the head....
    ♪♬♬♫♩

June 8, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Critic

I'm just not overly impressed with the show. Some of the voices are really good. But do I have to hear every single judge say nothing but nice things about every performer. What's the point? There is no real critique happening.

June 8, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • T-Bone

Actually there is a lot of critique happening. Some of it right after the performance, and much of it off camera and/or off stage while the coaches are working with their teams. Just because there isn't someone like Simon on the show who rudely critiques each performace, doesn't meant that constructive criticism isn't being offered. I personally find it refreshing to see critisim offered in a non-rude way. It is one of the things that makes this show such a hit.

June 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Toni

The coaches actually explained that they aren't really there to be critical and mean. Instead they are there to be mentors. The fact that they chose the members means that they already believe in their capabilities. I also noticed that in rehearsals before the stage shows, they are actually quite unabashedly honest with their team members. So far so good.

June 8, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  64. xtina_sux

My husband and I totally noticed the horrible self tanner application! There were a few times when I was pretty sure one of her tata's was going to pop out. She is annoying and needs to shut her mouth when others are talking. We ended up muting the tv each time she started talking!

The opening act was ackward to say the least. Their voices are all unique and do not mix well!

June 8, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  65. JoAnn

The Voice is superb! It blows American Idol away – no contest. As far as I'm concerned The Voice is the new American Idol; which for me, "jumped the shark" this season when it went "country".

June 8, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  66. Mel

Dia is from my hometown, so exciting! She did great.

June 8, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  67. lynnella

I thiought th4 show was fantastic! All the way through. My votes are for Xenia and Beverly, all the way to the end. And for those of you slamming Christina – if you don't like her, don't watch. I think all the judges are fantastic and the Lady Marmalade performance was fantastic!

June 8, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  68. Loogin

The opening with the four coaches was just plain brutal. Freddie Mercury rolled in his grave last night. Probably more than once.

June 8, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • freddy

Yes, if your gonna even attempt to do freddie, you better bring it. It was not a good tribute. Christina should of not eve opened her mouth to try and do it. I dont think she knows how to stay on a single note without a vocal arrobic attatched.

June 8, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • singlemom

I completely agree. Never been a huge Christina fan, but I was actually embarrassed for her last night.

June 8, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • T-Bone

Yes, Freddie's voice was remarkable. Anyone (or group of people) who try to duplicate it will have a daunting task. His voice range was superb, and he used it to great effect. There is only one Freddie and I doubt anyone will ever be able to do him justice. I wish I could congratulate the coaches for doing a nice job, but unfortunately they just didn't measure up. Nice solo by Adam on the guitar, though.

June 8, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  69. UGH..

Did anyone notice Christina's HORRIFIC self-tanner application? Her armpits were lily white and there were brown streaks on her arms. Oh... And she was orange.

June 8, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  70. freddy j

why does christine think she should wear so much makeup that she looks like a blow up doll. she is so pretty without all that crap on her face. why does someone go out of thier way to look so cheap. She need to also give respect when others are talking. She seems to not be able to stop with her comments. Its rude and annoying for sure. I know she is a "Diva" but tame it down for the show. Its about the contestants. I would not be suprised one day if blake shelton does not tell her where to get off. One can only take so much horse play.

June 8, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  71. Jeff

Christina has gone down hill in the last 2-3 years. Starting to be like a Whitney Houston act. Get on the road and stop being one of those 'Reality show" people.

June 8, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  72. Ash

Only stand out performance was Dia, the rest were just regular or bad kareoke.

June 8, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  73. V C

I thought the show was very entertaining. the voting process is different then Idol b/c this is NOT Idol thank god!!
    Christina has an amazing voice but does need to cover up some of those pounds that she's packed on....
    should be interesting to see who becomes "the Voice"...

June 8, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  74. SusieKJ

I am really enjoying the show so far. Now that viewer voting has started, we'll see how it goes. I gave up on American Idol years ago when the truly talented got voted off early. I tried again this year because I love Steven Tyler, but again, the less talented made it through. I love the mentoring concept of this show and the battle rounds worked out way better than I thought they would. The coaches are all talented and so it is interesting to hear their artistic perspectives and interplay. And their performances are very entertaining! Glad to hear it's been picked up for season 2!

June 8, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  75. j-bob

this show sucks!

June 8, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  76. Love

I completely agree about Christina and the Queen medley! She should not be wearing that! My boyfriend and I were watching and just thinking, she is trying wayyy too hard with the bright red lipstick, big bleach blonde hair, and those outfits, its too much! Also, the Queen medley was terrible. What even happened with Cee-lo? so bad. Adam did an amazing job on the guitar and I was really impressed with that part though. I think I like him the best so far out of all of the judges. Good show tonight overall. The girl on the piano was great! Xenia was terrible, get her out of there! No one would want to go to a boring concert like that! I cant wait to hear Adams team!

June 8, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  77. Name*jeff

grear show. On a side note, Christina now looks like miss piggie. What's up having such big boods?

June 8, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

I've been wondering about that, too. Yes, she's put on weight since Burlesque. But, she was a stick in the movie. However, the new boobs are definitely not from a weight gain.

June 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

The best part about them is the blue veins all over.

June 8, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  78. jfischer

Dia all the way! Her voice is just amazing and once she gets over her shyness (which is already getting better) she will be on top of the world. She is so humble and down-to-earth. We need more "stars" like her. Blake is being a great mentor for her!! Go Dia!

June 8, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • slnorm1960

Dia's shyness is fake...she has videos on MTV under Meg & Dia. Why they are letting professional singers compete on The Voice is beyond me. They need to give the unknowns a fighting chance.

June 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg & Dis

@slnorm No, I personally know Dia and that shyness is genuine! Before every show she did with her band, she was always extremely nervous! Thank you and do better next time before you make a dumb comment!

June 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

@Meg & Dis: You don't know her! God I hate it when people get on these boards saying they know the person. Shhhhhh, Be Quiet!

June 8, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  79. ridk

Aguilera is a great talent, but she has some whomping thighs that need to be hidden, not showcased. Uggggh.

June 8, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • littlewritergirl

Her thighs aren't the problem. It's the leather diapers!

June 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Humbly Disagree

wow, for me her thighs were the best part of the show last night. Besides the girl on the piano hitting those sick falsetto runs.....the child novelist...whatever her name is. I think she's fabulous. I would buy her album now, over any of the contestants that performed. The black dude with the white cap on sideways that played guitar, now he was something else too.

June 8, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Bookenz

Why does Christina have those playboy blonde bimbo extensions? They were distracting.

June 8, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  81. Eric

Check out my review vlog of last night's first live show: http://youtu.be/CyIqu2MhA7M

June 8, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Amys love child

The networks have become very adept at Turd Polishing and you fans have become even more adept at Turd Gargling.

June 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Chloe & Walter

Love love Beverly. True talent, serious musician. She can even play like 15 instruments!

June 8, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • electric19

Agree

June 8, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • lawanda

But she's just so damn scary looking. Will give children nightmares.

June 8, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Mitzie

Beverly was amazing last night! As for the people who dislike her look, that was kind of the point of the show. Let us see real talent not just beauty.

June 8, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • shoefly808

I met Beverly this past weekend when I was staying at the Hilton at Universal Studio. The entire Christina & Blake team was staying there. She was very sweet and said they were all exhausted from getting the live show together.

June 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  83. erich2112x

The elimination process is too confusing. Just do it like Idol, 4-3-2- bam, you're the winner.

June 8, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • gman332

It's not confusing. The lowest 2 off each team goes home, same as AI when the lowest of boys or girls, just this is teams. Then like AI when the pool gets smaller the teams go away.

June 8, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • PGV

Actually gman332, that's Not how it's done. The Top vote getter moves on. Then each Team Captain will decide who amongst the remaining 3 will move on, the other 2 go home. So it is Not just like AI.

I thought the opening number was horrific except for Adam's guitar play. Queen did not suit some of their voices. The contestants Overall are just average... not at AI caliber. The only ones who could really sing were Frenchie, Beverly and Patrick. The other two girls on Christina's team were flat or off-key most of their songs and tried to disguise it with backup dancers.

And poor Blake... I appreciate that he has some vocally Unique and sweet girls in Xenia and Dia, but they need more vocal lessons before they are ready for prime time. They could be great singers in the Future, just aren't nailing their songs at this point.

June 8, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • BB

Why would they want to copy anything American Idol does.....that show is garbage

June 8, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Steve

I was horrified by the opening act. There are certain people in the music industry that should not try to covers of famous people or groups. Queen, Elvis, the Beatles and others should not be copied. They destroyed the medley and bought down my respect that I may have had as them as judges. Christina wore an outfit that was disgusting and where she should cover up more. I am sick of her comments about Patrick Thomas and "taking off his pants", so white trash of her.

June 8, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Deirdre

Agree about the pants comment, if one of the men had said that to one of the female contestants he would have been fired. She needs to be more subtle and stop arguing with the other judges.

June 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • DC

you can tell Adam and Blake can't stand her and her stupid comments. I wonder if the 1st act sounded better in person, because it did not on TV, it was brutal, except for Adam's guitar. For some resaon a lot of the contestants do not sound good singing together.

June 8, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Annie

You left out Xenia. She may not have the showmanship yet, but that can be taught. Her voice is a natural gift!

June 8, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • jennifer03

100% agree she has a voice out of this world, very unique. along with piano girl she rocked aswell, and also has a very unique voice

June 8, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • elm

Xenia reminds me of that big dumb oaf, fantasia. Completely worthless.

June 8, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • churchofcoltrane

What leads me to believe that elm and rusty are the true talentless farts here? Put up or shut up, you passive runts.

June 8, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • DaleG

I thought Xenia was excellent. She's a little shy, but her voice was wonderful. Go Xenia, don't pay any attention to the lame remarks, they're just jealous.

June 8, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • T-Bone

I felt bad for Xenia. She has a decent voice, but she has no stage presence. She looked awkward during her performance, and she lacked confidence. Unfortunately, her performace was not very strong and I have no doubt she will fail to progress beyond this round. Dia and Patrick Thomas should make it through to the next round on Team Blake.

June 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mitzie

I believe Blake is right about Xenia. I am afraid I will not be able to vote for her because she is still developing but I absolutely love her vocal quality and know that with the right amount of assistance she can be a big talent one day.

June 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Real

I'd like to see Xenia go at least one more round. I think she just needs a bit of coaching on stage presence and how to have more confidence up there. She's a great singer and she is definitely going to go far. The rude comments about her on here are just simply shallow and meaningless. Keep up the great work, Xenia!

June 8, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • KimD

Xenia's voice is beautiful but why are they dressing her like Shirley Temple??? She looked ridiculous. Just let her dress like a teenager!

June 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  86. tom

I thought the queen medley at the beginning was horribly executed, especially by Cee Lo... with the notable exception of Adam shredding that guitar solo. Also, Christina's hamhocks squeezed into that leather diaper were not appealing. You don't have that "dirty" body anymore girl!

June 8, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Jared

I agree about the Queen medley. I was shocked at how bad Christina was........she pulled the same crap she did with the Star-Spangled banner........she has a great voice so why doesnt she just sing.

June 8, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Rich

Yeah, Christina is looking beefy lately. Lay off the burritos, girl! And put some more clothes on.

June 8, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Amy

LOL I was thinking the EXACT same thing about the preformance and her outfit!

June 8, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dennis

You nailed it

June 8, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • MC Hammer

With the EXCEPTION of the opening (although kudos to the guitar) was a v-e-r-y good show

June 8, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • kitty_kat

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

June 8, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • DC

Could not agree more.

June 8, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

ummmmm watch it again...Adam was only playing a few bars; the rest was played by the band but even that was recorded before the performance.

June 9, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • KimD

LOL -too funny & too true!!!!

June 9, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Dear Tom,
      I totally agree! Apparently, the writer of this article and you and I were watching were watching two different shows. :)

June 9, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Anthonystjoseph

I was so amazed at ALL the performances with Lily Elise and Dia Frampton standing out for me... I also enjoyed Patrick Thomas, but I just couldn't believe how ENTERTAINED I was! I have never been that entertained by ANY 'American Idol' FINALE! The show was EPIC ~ as they say.

June 8, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  88. Melba Toast

They should have Adumb LameAss on singing "Its rainin men"

June 8, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |