Summer thrills as 'Covert Affairs' returns
June 8th, 2011

Summer thrills as 'Covert Affairs' returns

If you're like me, the dog days of summer entertainment in 2010 were made a lot more exciting by USA's smash hit series "Covert Affairs." It stood out among the "White Collars" and the "Burn Notices" with a top-notch cast, a season-long story arc that kept you guessing, and a realism that kept it from the obvious comparisons to "Alias."

Tuesday night's season premiere found Annie Walker, seemingly having found happiness with her ex, Ben Mercer, nursing him back to health in the hospital.

That happiness was short-lived, however, when the two of them had to escape assassins, making for one of the most exciting first five minutes of any season this year.

Soon, Annie was back at Langley, promising to bring a "Five Guys" burger back to Ben (kudos to the writers, they know D.C.), but not before being placed in charge of a tennis-playing asset and then going on something of a rogue mission when she sensed that the asset was in danger. Fan favorite Auggie couldn't help but tag along.

Annie did return with a hamburger after that diversion, but Ben wasn't in his room. In fact, the hospital had no knowledge he was ever there. All of this is a lot more interesting than her mission to save the asset.

Okay, so at the end of the day, this show is only realistic to a point. At least there are no Rambaldi cubes. Piper Perabo, Christopher Gorham and Peter Gallagher as the corrupt (or is he?) Arthur Campbell - last seen talking to Ben about doing some missions for him "off the books" - are highlights of a cast that make this an extremely watchable summer series.

Welcome back, Agent Walker. I can't wait to see what the rest of season two has in store for you.

Are you as hooked on this show as I am? And are you one of those hoping that Annie and Auggie end up together (I know there must be some of you out there)? Share your iReport or comment below.

1. evergreen

I love ALIAS better than Covert Affairs. The show was more believable. Sydney Bristow would kick Annie Walker's a$$ any day. Love Jennifer Garner! :D

July 19, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kay

I love this show! It's very much high suspense without all the guts and gore (which make me sick 2 my stomach). Annie Walker is awesome, she kicks butt while still remaining incredibly average human unlike Alias. And YESSSSS I'm so waiting for Annie and Auggie to get together! They are so stinkin cute together!!! :o)

July 19, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. TvJenn

More Oded Fehr as Mossad Agent!

July 18, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kevin

Liked the show last year, but this season's first episode was really a tangled mess. It was tough to follow what Annie figured out, then there was the whole timeline thing. Her boss happened to be home during the day, then to the bar, then she figured something out, then to the tennis match (daylight still), then back to the bar at night???

July 5, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

This is another fun and enjoyable series. Kudos to the USA Network for airing some of the best television on tv! It seems the big networks are unable to air things like this. USA Network, SyFy (Warehouse 13 and Eureka) are really doing a good job at finding solid entertaining shows. Keep it up! Now if they would not just run the seasons years apart. UGH!

July 5, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bill

Covert Affairs is a decent series, but no where near White Collar or Burn Notice. However, these three shows are so much better than those on the so-called major networks. In the category of female-lead series, In Plain Sight is just better (writing, acting, development). On the bright side, USA and TNT give shows time to develop, unlike the others.

June 29, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I agree, USA and TNT, along with SyFy and a few other cable networks are really pulling out some quality entertainment. As you note, they also give the show time to develop.

July 5, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. CindiD

This is a terrific show. While there are sparks between Annie and Auggie, I think it's a little more than brother/sister. Yes, I think they should eventually get together, but like Mac and Harm, the sparks are part of the show and I DON'T want them jumping into bed with each other right away. I'd like to see real development in their relationship.

June 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Janet

Annie's okay- except i wonder how is a CIA newbie is affording those $1000 pumps with the famous red soles? – and i definitely want her and Auggie to just stay friends. I think they're more like brother & sister really. They should dump her Ben fascination angle once and for all though – he's just gonna keep breaking her heart and we're going to have her sulking about it through each episode. I really like Mary Shannon on another USA show, In Plain Sight, better. Now there's s tough lady! and she don't need no stinkin' high-heels!!

June 9, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cmb

Yay! Covert Affairs is back along with my other favorite White Collar. It's gonna be a fun summer.

June 9, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jim Dandey

WHT is Covert Affairs?

June 9, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tully

Welcome back Covert Affairs, one of my top favorites. The cast is eye candy, in fact, the best looking cast on TV. The show is smart, classy and entertaining but I have to give major credit to Piper Perabo. She exudes a warm and relatable quality about her that makes her character interesting and very likable.

June 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. reno

ahhh...come on now. Covert Affairs is good, but White Collar is a way better show.

June 8, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Stephanie

I actually would like to see Annie Walker get romanced by Jai. He is a really hot guy! You'd never really know for sure if he was in love with her or not being a company man all the way, but it would be sparky. I would rather keep the buddy connection with Auggie (who is really awesome too).

June 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Deb

I was very underwhelmed with the season premiere episode. A lot of missing character and/or plot development. Hoping the rest of the season is better. Kind of disheartening after such a great last season.

June 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jen

why does Annie Walker not carry a gun? she never has one. wouldn't this be helpful?

June 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tempted

I agree. A CIA field agent without a weapon is ridiculous. It is probably tied to Piper's views on firearms but it is really hurting the credibility of the program.

June 10, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aggie

In the latest issue of Capitol File magazine, Piper Perabo (aka Annie Walker) herself explained in an interview why she does not carry a weapon on the show ... CIA operatives are not allowed to do so on domestic soil.

July 5, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jane

Despite the fact that this woman wears mostly stiletto's, and runs in them, I do like the premise of the show. It's smart, edgy and quirky all rolled up in one of this summer's best shows. I would rather see Annie hook up with the Indian agent rather than Augie because I love the rapport betweeen Annie and Augie...

June 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. LeeAnn E.

I have to admit that I wasn't as impressed with the season premiere as I was with the first season. Last night's episode was a little underwhelming in terms of action and character development. Also, when Annie finally put the pieces together about the tennis star, everything seemed to come out of nowhere–there wasn't enough pre-information about what was happening. I will continue to watch and classify the premiere as just one slow episode among many other awesome ones, with the hope that the rest of the season will be just as exciting as last season!

June 8, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kelly E.

Piper/Annie is just the type of person I want to hang out with...sincere, hardworking, joyful and will always be there for you. Despite her hectic schedule, she has room to sip a bottle of beer with a friend. I'd like her & Christopher/Auggie to stay friends and co-workers, not as intimate that they'll end up in bed. The friendship is just extraordinarily awesome! Long live this show!

June 8, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. JerryD

This show is smart,hot,suspenseful just awesome, and the blond is tasty.

June 8, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |