'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Is 'The Voice' better than 'Idol'?
June 8th, 2011

'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Is 'The Voice' better than 'Idol'?

Tuesday night, the new singing competition that’s dominating our airwaves, “The Voice,” went live. With the show’s growing popularity, “The Voice” has been repeatedly compared to “American Idol,” which just wrapped up its 10th season. So I want to ask you – which show do you like better?

I think the shows are different enough that I can’t say one is better than the other, but “The Voice” is definitely a refreshing take on a now very familiar formula. I had a feeling it would be a hit after seeing a preview a few months ago and I’m thrilled for the show’s success and for my buddy Carson Daly, the host.

Speaking of Carson Daly, he will be on with me tonight as a "Showbiz Tonight" Newsmaker! We’re asking Carson about the comparisons of “The Voice” to “Idol,” and the chemistry between “The Voice” judges. Christina Aguilera, Cee-Lo Green, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton have a lot of people talking.

I think “Idol” finally nailed it again with this past season’s panel –Jennifer Lopez, Steven Tyler, Randy Jackson – but I love the ease of the chemistry with the judges on “The Voice.” It’s great casting! What do you think? Which judges do you like better?

Also tonight, we have a "Showbiz Tonight" exclusive with “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” star Adrienne Maloof. She’s giving us lots of behind-the-scenes scoop from the show.

See you exclusively tonight at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN!

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. Ellen

As we near the end of the Voice, I want to say why I prefer the Voice to Idol. First, I have become more invested in the judges than the singers. I think the best part of the show was casting Adam Levine, Cee Lo Green, Christina Aguelara (sp?) and Blake Shelton. You really see how much they care about coaching their singers. You can tell they want to find and bring out really great talent. I'm afraid a Bev or Xenia or Dia would never have made it onto idol. They just aren't comerical enough. But the Voice is about uniqueness. And you can tell that the coaches didn't just sign on for a paycheck. They are really looking for new, unique talent. And you know what, I would never have listened to a Blake Shelton song before, but now I'm a huge fan. it's fun seeing the coaches on the stage too.

June 23, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. AL

I have watched Idol since season 1 and have always enjoyed it, but for the past 5-6 seasons, I can't stand who wins (which I believe is due to teeny-boppers with cell phones). I'm to the point where I know the winner will be a cute, younger white male so why watch when the best singers are not winning? I'm trying the Voice right now and I suppose we'll see how I like the whole season! Go Cee-Lo!

June 9, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jose'

Too hot outside. I wait a lil while longer. I maybe take a BC or Goodys powder to get more awaake and feeling better.

June 9, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jose'

The Voice es muy bueno. Many mexikin chiquitas on The Voice. I go to work now. Spread much pinestraw.

June 9, 2011 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. charlie crack

@mr.ed- thats probably why you didnt answer. Nothing confusing, just wanted to see if this would get as heated as the "AI" blogs. Apparently not, guess more AI fans. I just wanted to hear what they had to say. If I have to miss a game due to a singing show, atleast I will try and have fun with it. Sorry to confuse you.

June 9, 2011 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rick Boston

The Voice is way better than Idol.
    Idol is rigged and fixed, plus it's a bore.

June 9, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mr. Ed

@Charlie Crack you just confused the fu*k out of me.

June 8, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mr. Ed

She still looks good for her to wrap her legs around me.

June 8, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. charlie crack

I want all the AI comments to beat this one (whichever side you are on, im playing instigator). My girlfriend says they argue on Voice to differentiate and add more drama than AI. (but she just made it clear to me to post "she is much more AI fan". Ok, I did....but why do I have to watch both instead of Lebron and D.Wade??? Women.

June 8, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sunshine Girl *

Its not that one is better than the other b/c they are both good shows. AI is more fun while The Voice seems to be a little more serious. Both shows are based on singing but have 2 entirely different formats. The judges on both shows are great. I really love AI and havent missed a season. Ive been watching The Voice since it started as well and like it just as much. Will one push the other out? I seriously doubt it. Keep them both I say.

June 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Come On

Why is showbiz tonight asking this question now?
    why not ask the question when AI was still on air?
    Its quite obvious that the Voice is better

June 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Britney

2 letters. n o

June 8, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ted

No way. Idol is still fun even though the voting system is seriously flawed.

June 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Snarky

Jennifer Lopez is trash, therefore Idol is trash, therefore The Voice is better by default.

June 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |