'Lost' creator: January's 'X-Men' acting sucked
June 7th, 2011

'Lost' creator: January's 'X-Men' acting sucked

“Lost” co-creator Damon Lindelof didn’t specify if he’s a fan of January Jones’ work on the acclaimed series “Mad Men,” but he sure didn’t like the actress in “X-Men: First Class.”

The movie, which earned $56 million at the box office over the weekend, stars Jones as Emma Frost, along with James McAvoy as Charles Xavier and Michael Fassbender as Magneto.

Those last two actors Lindelof appreciated, as he tweeted on June 4, “Dug FIRST CLASS though, especially Fassbender, McAvoy and the best deployment of the PG-13 single-use eff-bomb I have ever seen.”

But Jones? Not so much.

“Emma Frost's THREE mutant powers: Telepathy, Transformation to Solid Diamond and last but not least, Sucking at Acting,” Lindelof wrote.

“Hangover” star Zach Galifianakis also hasn’t been easy on the 33-year-old mom-to-be. He said in an interview in May that he once had to tell Jones to "f-–ing be nice."

Filed under: movies

1. Vinko Rajic

Telepathy – I think this is important for science and human kind

My name is Vinko Rajic , I can use telepathy , I am maybe the only person that can use telepathy all the time , send
    and receive voice and video on distance of few kilometer. It works all the time and 100% correct.

I think it is important for science and human kind to make research on my brain and find out how this works.
    My telepathy manifest itself exact like "Schneider's first-rank symptoms".
    Please send email to other scientists that could know about that.
    I think it would be extremely important to find out what kind of waves transmit my thoughts.

October 6, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cheezfri

As a public figure, I probably wouldn't outright state that someone sucked at acting, but that's just me. But yeah, January sucks. I don't want her to suck; she's really pretty. But I get the feeling that that sort of ice queen aura about her in Mad Men carries with her in everything she does. She was by far the worst SNL host I've ever seen. Granted, not everyone is cut out for that sort of thing, but I just really disliked every skit she was in. No wonder Fred Armisen dumped her.

July 6, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Disgruntled_girl

I'm going to lay the blame at the director's feet on this one.
    After all – her expressions were great. She could emote. He just didn't tell her how to emote verbally.
    So she did some great acting – when she didn't speak.
    Instead of telling her to be nice, he should have been telling her to be mean on the screen.

July 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SDGirl

Here's the deal, she is from South Dakota, I am from South Dakota. Let me give you some insight. We have many pretty girls here and if we don't like you, it's not because your pretty, it's because your a sn@tch. She has talked on the Daily Show about how she brought home a Jewish boyfriend and it was the talk of the town...um no....we are some of the most carefree people, outside of hippies, that you will ever meet. Like in all other places there will be the few people that have a problem with people that aren't like them, but for the most part no one cares here about anything other than 1. What kind of gun you shoot. 2. What kind of truck you drive. 3. How old your kids are. 4. What kind of beer you drink. Now, not all of this happens at the same time. We are not an episode of my Big Redneck Wedding! But those four topics take up most of our conversation. Not how many girls we hate because they are pretty and not how Jewish someones boyfriend is. JJ is an actress that is in way over her head, I wish I could get a great paying job that I wasn't qualified for just like she did, but whatever.

June 28, 2011 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. SixDegrees

Well, if there's anyone who would know about suck, it's Damon Lindelof and the rest of the "Lost" crew. The only thing they managed to achieve was bilking enough out of the public to pay for a 6 year long Hawaiian vacation. But holding "Lost"'s laughably bad acting (and bad writing, direction, camera work, etc.) as an implied standard against which others may be judged, sadly, qualifies even slime mold colonies for an Emmy.

June 25, 2011 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. David

They told her she had to suck to get the job and she misunderstood. . .

June 23, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Greedo

Lindelof's writing is what sucks. Those guys owe us a proper season 6 of Lost.

June 23, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Alan

At least Damon Lindelof is very familiar with things that suck. He's been responsible for many.

June 13, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. rdnk420

you sir are an idiot. you show blows and you have the nerve to say an actress in a hit movie sucked? go DIAF and remove your terrible excuse for entertainment from the records of history and our minds. you are truely useless to criticize ANYONE after the crap you made us watch. you couldnt even give us a damn plot you had to change it constantly. GFY

June 12, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. hijackthemic

You know what else sucked? Lost. Not just the finale, the whole show. Lost totally sucked.

June 12, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. Nom Deplume

@S1N – Thanks! I really needed a good laugh and you've provided it.

June 10, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. James

Tell me what young actor/actress under 25 can act today? I mean seriouslly act. Chances are you can't. Today its all about all looks.

June 10, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sweet

Hugely disappointed in her casting as Emma Frost. WTH? I don't care how dorky that sounds, btw. I also really didn't get the casting of Jennifer Lawrence as Raven, and her character made no sense. Too much creative license with this one ~ all those months of anticipation to see this film and it fell flat for me. :(

June 9, 2011 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  14. Lance

Damon Lindelof's writing sucks, so perhaps these two should team up and continue outputting mediocrity together.

June 9, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. Chuckelhead

Face it, she sucks, just not in the right way!

June 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Seeadisaster

Lindelof has managed to define schadenfreude in a way that is astounding.

June 8, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  17. jainTN

She's not a good actress at all, but she's perfect for the part she plays on Mad Men. A cold, beautiful, emotionally detached woman. On Mad Men she's sort of a Grace Kelly type and it works on that show, but I don't see her playing the kiinds of roles an actress like Meryl Streep would be offered.

June 8, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  18. @ anacon..

If its spewing u r not doin it right. Lessons ?

June 8, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  19. @lurlene

We wondered same thing. Where are all the regular posters ? We see a couple sometimes, not all tho. They are funny. They talk to each other like friends 2. They musta found a chat room or new blog. We hope they come back.

June 8, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  20. Mike C.

So this guy finally comes out of "radio silence" to knock someone else? Go back into hiding you troll.

June 8, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  21. chris

So the guy who forced his show to jump the shark on a repeated basis, is knocking someone else's work. That's classic. Well, I guess since he is an expert in sucking, he feels he can give an opinion

June 8, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  22. JFWilder

Damon, someone just needs to slap your ugly face with a fish. Why you haven't been run out of town on a rail or tarred & feathered yet is beyond my comprehension. Carlton can join you too.

June 8, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  23. Matt Carter

So the guy who co-created the worst show in television history and has since distanced himself from the product has something to say about an actress playing what has long been a one-note villian role for the last 30 years?

Not only is it unprofessional of him – but Jesus, you created LOST. Stones and glass houses, buddy.

June 8, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Grumpster

Bwaaa haaa haa haa!!!! Though it wasn't the worst show until the last season when he and Carlton copped out 100%.

June 8, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  24. Grumpster

And Damon's ability to write a non-cop-out finale sucks as well. This guy has no credibility since LOST ended. He can go straight to the gates of hades for all I care.

June 8, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  25. Seeadisaster

Lindelof, BIG MISTAKE.

June 8, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  26. Seeadisaster

This is the reason Lost failed.

June 8, 2011 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  27. Breecanna

She was horrible on SNL. Crappy actress. No personality.

June 8, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  28. Bolobolo66

There is scene at the end of Unknown where her hand is in a hole in the wall and she is trying to dismantle something that is about to explode. She has all the animation of a housewife who is trying to find a jar of jam in a dark cupboard. It explodes.

June 8, 2011 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  29. Bernadette

Yes, I concur- she was absolutely dreadful in X-Men, the worst thing in an otherwise amazing movie.
    Also, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about her, facially she is hardly the stunning actress she is cracked up to be, in fact I just don't understand the hype all around her at all!
    I hope she retires from acting with the birth of her child..seriously, she won't be missed.

June 8, 2011 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  30. GIGI

I think she gets roles because her name is catchy and attractive sounding.

June 8, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
    • kev

I agree, her name makes her sound like a character from a James Bond movie.

June 8, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  31. Paul

She was the WORST guest in the history of SNL. Lame!!

June 7, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • b4peace

I agree completely, Paul...and I'm old enough to have seen every single SNL. January wins WORST EVER. Don't think they even used it in summer reruns. She blew a great opportunity...

June 8, 2011 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  32. Kris

I do watch Mad Men.. JJ is certainly not my favorite character and since it not fair to judge as actor by the character they place, I've read interviews with her. She is bland, boring, and about as dumb as they can get. I dunno.. maybe her cast mates will say something nicer but I am not a fan.

June 7, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  33. voden

who cares what this dork thinks, he screwed Lost's ending big time!

June 7, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  34. I. Mold

I didn't know Jones was in X Men; glad I decided to wait for the dvd – movies don't have fast forward buttons.

June 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Nancy

Read the interview on her in ALLURE and whether or not she is a good actress or not, she in totally unlikeable.

June 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Tina

If he doesn't like her acting, then he just shouldn't hire her. Ridiculing someone who isn't a part of a project you are working on is just mean-spirited. I loved "Lost", but this is just turning me off to the show and to any future projects he may have.

June 7, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  37. The Same Cape

Weiner Weiner Pumpkin Eater

June 7, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Joe

Not fair to really judge her since I don't even know her, but the impression she gives off is that of an ice queen. Has anyone ever seen her smile? It's like she has no joy. Kinda sad.

June 7, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Ginny Sack

Why does every day seem like get-down-on-January-Jones day?! I mean it – every time she is mentioned, she's getting bashed. She is a wonderful actress and is gorgeous.

Besides that, X Men is hardly to be held up as a showcase for great acting skills anyway.

And, by the way, Damon Lindelof, Lost was one of the most poorly written tv shows of all time. I have made it a point to avoid any show you have been associated with since then. If you say someone is a lousy actor, I would automatically think they actually had to be pretty good.

June 7, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

What is good writing to you? Jersey Shores? Lost's writing, along with everything else, was a main reason the show was so highly acclaimed. Perhaps you didnt like the way the plot ended....but the writing itself...was flawless. And who are you kidding? January Jones may be the worst actress on any screen today.

June 7, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Victoria

Agreed. Lost was the most over-rated piece of crap ever!

@Andrew...Good writing? How about Watchmen (the book, definitely not the movie!)

June 20, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  40. captnavenger

Was she great enough in the movie to bother mentioning it? No. But was she bad enough to bother mentioning it? No. She did fine with what little she was given.

The real question is, so what if this guy had a hand in creating Lost? How does that make us care a flying rat's butt about his opinion? Need I remind about opinions? About how everyone has one, and what else everyone has? Seriously, Lost was cool and all, but this guy was barely one small part of why. Oodles of actors, writers, and others made it what it was. This guy's credentials total exactly to, he had a take on The Prisoner where everybody got to the island in a plane crash, rather than being kidnapped there, and he got lucky because they made it into a show. Big. Fat. Whoop.

Close the flapping lips, please, and deflate the head.

June 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Glad someone said this. Totally agreed. I think she's being unfairly piled on here. The character is supposed to be cold and come off one dimensional. I don't think she was cast because they thought "great actress". I think she was cast because they had seen her work in Mad Men and thought she was a good fit for Emma Frost. I wish I was semi-famous so I could get headlines for saying that I thought McAvoy overplayed his part or that Jennifer Lawrence was nothing special or etc. about this movie.

June 12, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  41. MaryinPA

She is one bland, boring actress. I don't think she even has a personality. Her "acting" is terrible in Mad Men.

June 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Gavin Ford

She is EXCELLENT on "Mad Men". I don't see what the problem is.

June 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Noogre

just go see X-Men. Just watch it and then you'll understand. I promise.

June 7, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Alex Winter

Haven't seen it yet but is Jones as bad as Halle Berry as Storm in the first X-men?

June 7, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

No she's not as bad as Halle Berry's Storm, but only because she doesn't have nearly as much screen time.

June 7, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Andrew

January Jones basically has one look "stoic", that's it and she dated Kutcher, so, not a fan!! hate that guy,

June 7, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Aaron

I think she was a good choice for the role. Emma Frost is a bit of an ice queen so her poor acting made her seem cold and distant. i thought it worked.

June 7, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Demara

Yes, her acting was atrocious.
    But that's the only major disappointment in the film. I loved the cameo and wouldn't stop laughing minutes after it ended. "Go f- yourselves"... Haha.

June 7, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  47. lw3296

Yep, she was dull and fembotty but passable as an evil minion. Bacon was simply miscast. He tried but he doesn’t have the gravitas to be the anchoring villain in a major XMen movie.

June 7, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

Bacon was fine, it's just the script didn't have him do anything. He never came off as a menace or someone that would be a problem for Magneto and Xavier.

June 7, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  48. itsamemario

she does nothing for me and her acting sucks..if they needed a blonde that badly they could*ve called charlize theron..

June 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Mr. Ed

She is still good to look at unlike some of the jealous b!t<hes that would only negative things to say about her. Right suzie?

June 7, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Paul McCartney

OH yes Ringo has had my weiner many times.

June 7, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Superhiro

Yea, she was pretty boring in First Class. Although a lot of that movie turned out to be surprisingly boring so she kinda fit.

June 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Timme62

Never liked her acting, very dull and wooden.

June 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Richard Simmons

Did someone say Weiner?

June 7, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  54. suzzi

She's not only a bad actress, apparently, she is not a very good person. Rumor has it that the father of her unborn child is very married. I read an article about her where she said that the girls at her high school hated her because she was pretty!I doubt very much that was the reason they hated her.

June 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • jillmarie

Suzzi, where did you hear that? It makes sense- she's not revealing the father and her ex from SNL has said it's not him. I read that article too, seems she's full of herself!

June 7, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • b4peace

I read the same thing...and thought the same thing. Guess she thought she was the only pretty girl in school.

June 8, 2011 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

I went to her HS and no one hated her for being pretty. They hated her because she was a snob. And she wasn't a good actress then either. I don't doubt for a second that she said those words though.

July 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  55. jillmarie

Wow, she's ticked off a few people, I guess!

June 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Kate

What part of the movie did the EFF bomb get dropped? LOL – sorry – I must have missed that one !

June 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Rob

"...and the best deployment of the PG-13 single-use eff-bomb I have ever seen." I couldn't agree more; that was freakin' hilarious! The whole theater I was burst out laughing and couldn't stop for nearly a minute!

June 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  58. MsKishaRenee

I don't watch Mad Men but I've seen her in two movies – X Men First Class and Unknown – and her acting was flat both times. I thought it was just me being hard on her. I totally don't understand how she gets cast in these roles???? There are so many talented actresses in Hollywoood, especially black actresses and this is the person that they give the plum roles to...this baffles me. Aside from her perfermance, I loved X Men First Class and I hope to see it again.

June 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • KeeKeeDee

Especially black actresses. Thanks for the reverse racism. Seriously, I thought we'd have one article where no one threw in the race card. Oh, well, next time.

As for JJ–Hollywood has a long, long history of hiring not-so-great actresses. So, what? We're talking about the X-Men (and the worst one in that series) as if the acting is topnotch.

Silly.

June 7, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Niki

I can't really comment on her acting, as I haven't seen enough to judge... but flat acting award should go to Kristen Stewart. I am mystified that no matter the movie, no matter the character, and no matter the scene, she is the same. I cannot understand how she lands so many movie roles, it seems they could save money and just digitally insert her in any movie, change the clothes, and poof... new movie, same Kristen.

June 8, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
    • jayman419

There is no way this movie can be the worst X-men movie. Have you seen X3, where they killed Cyclops out of annoyance because the actor got a bit part in Superman? I honestly thought they were going to hand wave it at the very end, so I didn't pay much attention until the credits rolled. I had to watch it twice, and it certainly didn't get better upon closer inspection.

Or are you saying that First Class is going to be the worst in the new trilogy?

June 8, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Niki-we get you don't like Twilight. You should really try to watch something else. Might surprise you.

June 8, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • kasey

I like Twilight, but have to agree that Kristen Stewart is a terrible actress. I've been trying to figure out why she keeps getting work myself, and I can only surmise it's becaue the kiddies like her. But anything else she's been in besides Twilight has bombed, so maybe they'll get the hint and stop casting her.

As for the black actresses comment. Puh-lease. Get over it. There are more roles for black actresses than Asian, but you don't see them whining all the time.

June 8, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Nonsensei

@KeeKeeDee Reverse racism is tolerance. Racism is racism, even if it's against "your own people."

June 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

I'm afraid that Emma Frost has to be played by a white woman hon. It's how her character began when she was first written up in the Uncanny X-Men comic book and it's always been portrayed that way to the point where having anything other than what appeared to be a tall blue eyed blond Uber-WASP Boston Brahmin look in the role just wouldn't make sense to the audience in question. Now Mystique could have been a woman of colour before her transformation, to make things interesting; though like Storm who originally looked more like Iman but with blue eyes before they settled on Halle Berry well...

June 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Blah

She looked and acted like a fem bot. Thats ok because Professor X was pulling off his groovy Austin Powers impression.

June 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Yeah baby!

June 7, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • anita mann

Prof. X pick up line – " Hey, love, just watch this mutation down here." But seriously, I saw this yesterday and Jones is a terrible actress.

June 8, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Flex

I can't speak for X-Men, being I have not seen it yet. But, she is very good on Mad Men. She has the sixties, self medicated, just pretend everything is perfect, house wife down to a science.

June 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bri Guy

Then by all other accounts, it sounds as though she's not acting, but just that much of a genuinely dullard (if not phony) person.

June 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blah

Her character on Mad Men has no emotional range just like her acting.

June 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not A Feminist...

"She has the sixties, self medicated, just pretend everything is perfect, house wife down to a science"

As all women should....

June 8, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • ChrisVC

@Flex, but that's the point – (Along with watching her in Mad Men since its beginning) I've watched her in interviews, (to a lesser extent, have seen her in magazines), hell, google her and look at all the pictures, she comes across as the same rather cold person as she does in Mad Men. I'm really beginning to think she she's not acting in any of these places but simply being herself – which is distant, awkward, and cold. Not necessarily a bad person, but not a good image for an actor.

June 8, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • AntiPalinAlaskan

Maybe she actually IS self-medicated and pretending that everything's all right.

June 30, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Mike

She acted the sane exact way she does in Mad Men, the same way she acts in everything. If it were Jane Lynch they'd give her the Oscar.

June 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • JamesBenson

Jane Lynch as Emma Frost? Bahah. I'd pay twice as much to see it.

June 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Bobby

Yeah man, she was terrible. She's not even that hot, I don't understand why they cast her...

June 7, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mila

I feel sorry for her. Nobody likes her. She's beautiful at first glance, but then she starts to look plain until they show her body, which is in perfect form. They should have cast Charlize Theron or anybody with a personality.

June 7, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  63. be quiet

He's right! She's a terrible actress.

June 7, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  64. lurlene

Where are all the trolls ? Why so few congressman weiner jokes ?

June 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  65. lurlene

If her acting sucked that bad she needs to hook up with congressman weiner.

June 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Madibaman

She can't act her way out of a bucket. Any more wooden and they'd have to send her for annual termite checks. She sucks BIG TIME.

June 21, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |