June 7th, 2011

Katie Couric: I can't replace Oprah

As soon as word spread that Katie Couric was angling for a daytime talk show – right around the time that Oprah Winfrey was counting down to the last “Oprah” episode – people questioned if Couric was trying to become the new queen of talk TV.

But Couric tells CNN that just the thought of bearing that title makes her antsy.

“Nobody can replace Oprah and it makes me uncomfortable that people are even suggesting that,” she said Monday, the day she announced she’s moving to ABC. Her show will premiere in September 2012, and is currently slated to air at 3 p.m. for eight ABC-owned stations.

“No one will be the cultural icon that Oprah has been and continues to be,” she went on. Couric's daytime program, on the other hand, is “just an opportunity to talk about important issues and have conversations that will hopefully enlighten people and help them lead better lives. It's just a very exciting proposition for me.”

That wasn’t the only “exciting proposition.” What sealed the decision for Couric to make the move were “all the opportunities that were available at ABC,” she told CNN. On top of her daytime show, Couric will also contribute to the network's news programming.

“They have an extraordinary news division and a very talented leader in Ben Sherwood from NBC, and...they have always invested heavily in their local news operations. I respect and admire that so much,” Couric said. “The whole package just seemed to be a great place for me and a wonderful opportunity…I was just anxious to get going and get started, and now that I have signed on the dotted line I'm really excited about the future.”

The 54-year-old also has no regrets about leaving behind the anchor desk at “CBS Evening News.”

"I'm really proud of the work we were able do [with] the entire CBS team over the last 5 years,” she said. “We won so many different awards...the newscast was really strong and impactful and our political coverage got a lot of attention. I have absolutely no regrets. I'm really glad I took on the challenge for five years and I'm excited about moving on to something that will allow me to have lengthier conversations and interact with people, because I really think that is my strong suit."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Detektei in

Excellent goods from you, man. I've have in mind your stuff previous to and you are simply too fantastic. I actually like what you've received right here, really like what you are stating and the way by which you assert it. You're making it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart. I can't wait to learn far more from you. That is actually a great site.

April 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. clan ferona

I feel that is among the so much important info for me. And i'm glad reading your article. However want to statement on few normal issues, The site taste is perfect, the articles is really nice : D. Just right activity, cheers

April 8, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. water softener problems

Excellent post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful info specifically the final part :) I take care of such info a lot. I used to be looking for this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

April 3, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chad

Katie turned sour after her husband passed away. She used to be light and fun. Now she's bitter and judgmental. Don't think she'll have much more success as a TV personality.

June 8, 2011 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
    • @Chad

You must be a close personal friend of hers to be able to make such a statement. No?? The how about you keep your stupid opinions to yourself, moron!

June 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ShellyAnn

I saw Couric on Leno. I could smell her fear over this new career change through the TV! I think she knows she has bit off too much but is either greedy (who wouldn't be) or too proud to say "my bad". It won't last. Will be a snoozer.

June 8, 2011 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Never Never Land

Katie Couric looks like an elf/little wood nymph. Hard to take her seriously because all I can imagine when I see her is those pointy *ss ears!

June 7, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sunshine Girl *

Whether is Oprah/Jerry Springer/Maury Povich/Tyra/Montel/The Veiw and the list goes on....its all the same sh!t just a different host on a different day on a different show on a different station. With all the brilliant writers out there these days I dont know why tv cant come up with something much more original than a talk show. And I know I cant be the only one who feels this way.

June 7, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ree

All the writers are being fired because scripted shows are too expensive. Talk shows are cheap to produce because they don't need writers, unless it's a late night show with a monologue

June 8, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sunshine Girl *

I dont think its really just about whos hosting the show. Its about the type of show itself. We are being over run w/these so called talk shows. And from what Ive been reading lately they are not as popular as the media would like you to think. They should start a cable channel for talk shows. Something like 'All talk All The Time'. Then if you want to watch them you can. But replacing mainstream daytime tv w/so many is getting out of control. I dont see the world ending b/c Oprah is gone.

June 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Don JJ

YOU DID IT AGAIN CNN!!! Why censor the term for a cat?

June 7, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Don JJ

CNN. Stop with this Censorship. Why censor .

June 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Don JJ

Does Couric like a) Weiner or b) a cat? I pick b.

June 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Weezy

Oh yeah...Couric downs fish tacos by the dozen. She is big ole lesbean and wants to date Aretha Franklin to get some of that FAT PU$$Y.

June 8, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. JA

Like the Deaver made it big with the youngest group, I think we need some young girl talent.There are so many old girls out there with body jobs. Carrie Finch, Missy Hagerman, dark haired Abby Williams with ASM.

June 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. the_dude

Hopefully for her careers sake, she can interview palin every day. Otherwise you are in big trouble katie. I give it no more than a month before abc "asks" you to retire.

June 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mike

To everyone posting negative or defamatory comments: What the heck is your problem? Are you people incapable of forming and articulating adult opinions? You don't like her, that's fine. I have always thought the world of Katie, and I will even say that her turn on The CBS Nightly News was a bad career move. She always fit better as a cheeky, cheerful morning personality, and her turn on The Today Show (which made her one of the most popular celebrities in her field) proves that she can be great on TV. So she made a bad career move with the nightly news on CBS, so what? How many of us have made poor career choices from time-to-time? Would we all want to be judged the way some of you are judging her? If you have something negative to say about the content of the article, the style in which it was written and/or edited, or about how Katie presents herself, then by all means spit it out. This is a message board, after all. But please, do the rest of us adults here a favor and actually conduct yourself with some dignity.

June 7, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. myztaphantastik

Couric blows ass!!!

June 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  16. oldtimer

I really think ABC would of been a whole lot better off having a poll to see if the public would of liked to see katie in a talk program or some other type of show ,Why waste money on something that we don't want to watch.She isn't the type of person who can draw a crowd.i'd rather watch a bad movie as to listen and watch a program with katie in it, Over rated,and way over paid. She's just a leech.

June 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  17. rosemary mcdonald

Boy, ABC is going to lose a wholeeeee lot of money with this big mistake!!!!!!! If anyone won owns stock in the parent company I would sell right now!

June 7, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  18. The Duke

Can't replay Ophra ?? An amoeba could replace that total waste of space. And I am sure all the morons that watched the brainless twit would watch the amoeba.

June 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yeder

Hundreds of super talented people have tried to compete with oprah and all have failed. Hosting a talk show is way harder than it looks.

June 8, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  19. ryan pegg mueller lane

Get her in a maid outfit and have her serve me adult beverages while doing u know what then Id have sum new respect for her.

June 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Queen Barbara

May all the American television networks be blessed with even a fraction of faith that Oprah had when she started that wonderful show. We need a miracle of Divine Vision and the healing of our hearts so that social communication would come with wisdom,teaching,learning and beauty that will lift us out of the darkness to the light of joy and love of words and images.

June 7, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. oldtimer

It's not that i hate Katie as a person ,its just she doesn't do a very good job at all, and the networks wish to pay someone that is this bad millions of dollars makes me mad and sick,they could find someone to do the same job and do it better for a whole lot less money.I seen a list of news people a while back and they was listed according from who was number 1 to who was the worst,their was if my memory serves me right 325 news people on this list, and Katie wasn't even in the top ten ,she was listed at 243 now thats pretty darn bad.And they wasted millions on this woman,they ought to sue for 99% of it back from her .

June 7, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jim Dandey

Sure she can replace Oprah; all she needs to do is gain 150 pounds...

June 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ex

I think it's the billions of dollars, massive ratings and huge influence oprah had that everyone wants to replace, not the weight. Duh

June 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Lily

Someone previously mentioned Christianne Amanpour. I would certainly watch her and wish that the powers to be courted her instead of sticking with Ms. Couric. I'll never know why they keep throwing millions at this woman. She comes across as either steely and stiff in her demeanor or overly flirtatious in an unappealing way. Christianne has a brilliant delivery and is warm and personable at the same time. She would make an outstanding talk show host. CBS, please rethink your decision!

June 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  24. KeeKeeDee

Katie, no need to replace Oprah. Do your own thing and you'll be great.

Besides, Oprah isn't what her publicists at Entertainment Tonight (owned by CBS, which owns Oprah's show) would have you believe. Oprah's ratings were pitiful in recent years. All that money came at the expense of TV stations who went broke as they were locked into unsustainable contracts (TV stations are cheering that she's gone). Plus, Oprah's OWN isn't doing all that well.

I like and respect Oprah, but the "Oprah brand" you're all buying into is a CBS-fueled publicity stunt that is now gone–poof (because CBS no longer owns anything to do with Oprah). You'll see.

June 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fex

Actually oprah was the highest rated talk show in America for all 25 years she was on. Sure her ratings were slipping in her final years but they were still way better than any other talk show and her final show got around 20 million viewers in America alone. No one in the history of media will ever be as successful as oprah

June 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • KeeKeeDee

The No. 1 talk show, yeah. But Oprah ranked around No. 6 or something this year, well behind Judge Judy, who was No. 1. But, no matter, it's the cost for the show combined with the TV ratings that matter. TV stations paid about 10x the cost of Judge Judy for Oprah. And that just doesn't make financial sense for anyone, except Oprah.

June 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eda

Judge Judy is only number One because nelson changed the ratings so if a show airs more than once, the audience is double. And judge Judy is a court show. No talk show can beat oprah

June 8, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  25. oldtimer

She is only suitable to be a dishwasher in some run down coffee shop in a run down neighborhood.Everyone in the news business thinks Katie is so good at her job,they would say something like that just to kiss butt ,the pain FACT IS SHE JUST PLAIN SUCKS AND SHE NEEDS TO FACE IT.Reire and disappear from the networks please, PLEASE.

June 7, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  26. barbara

I think this is a bad career move for Couric. I think her fit is entertainment news. I really never wanted to watch the news while she was doing it...she'd be good on something like Regis and Kelly; or something like inside edition or entertainment tonight or even 20/20....but I really never thought she was a good fit for evening news anchor, and think she'll also tank as a talk show hostess.

June 7, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  27. oldtimer

CBS just saved themselves several millions of $$$$ now ABC is stupid enough to take back a useless worn out so called Journalist who couldn't get the job done on either network.Now ABC is stuck paying this useless woman millions more with a long term contract. What is a matter with these net work s that they are so dumb to over pay these people.

June 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. your mama

I guess CNN does not monitor these blog comments – its disgraceful to see so many morons posting here – what a bunch of losers !

June 7, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Dennish

Jus what we need....another liberal blabber mouth who thinks she is the smartest person in the room to look down on anyone who disagrees with dems agenda-i would rather watch that hag joy behar over katie couric

June 7, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  30. guy

Katie, let it go....it's time to retire and enjoy your family, friends and experience new adventures out of the limelight....

June 7, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Justin Bieber

Did someone say Weiner?

June 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Selena Gomez

You do, every day. I can't wait until my contract to be seen in public with you is finished.

June 8, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  32. Heann

mmmm spaghetti-Os

June 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  33. hamp

its good to see people improve their situations and call their own shops. get an education and make moves.

June 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  34. marlys

Silly Question~but why is the start of this "Wonderful" show over a year away??

June 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • procarsonator

She probably has a "no compete" clause in her CBS contract. Kinda like Conan Obrien's hiatus before returning to TBS after he left the Tonight Show.

June 7, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • KeeKeeDee

Geez, I wish you people knew what you were talking about.

Let's see, to get a show on the air, you need to sign up TV stations around the country in 200+ metroplitan areas. The show needs to find a studio and hire writers, producers, directors, set designers, makeup artists, etc. Plus, the vast vast majority of TV schedules for this coming fall (2011) have been set for several months now. And, last thing, Genius, TV shows are bought and sold starting in January for the following fall. In other words, the next go-around is next January.

The fact that Katie C's show is a done deal this far in advance speaks volumes about her, and TV stations' confidence that she'll do a good job.

June 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  35. tiabear

I will only be happy with ABC if they leave all the soaps on and put Katie on @ 4 pm. Tired of court tv shows. Gives a headache

June 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Daniel Troppy

She will be perfect at this new job after all she knows how to ask the intelligent questions here....

June 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  37. MommaRu2

A burned out light bulb is (a) more interesting, (b) more entertaining, (c) more intelligent, (d) more useful, (e) all of the above than Katie Couric. You are correct – (e) is the answer.

June 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Nyxxie

I can't replace Oprah....... ...... but ILL SURE AS HELL TRY! *evil cackle*

June 7, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  39. llashtica

No one can replace Oprah, but I love Katie Couric. My three favorite ladies on tv are, 1) Christianne Amanpour, 2) Katie Couric, and 3) Oprah

June 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  40. ___

GNN (gay news network) is running two gay-themed front page stories at the moment. The gay blogger in Syria and The Sissy Boy Experiment.

GNN, why the agenda?

June 7, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • eddie

"sissy boy experiment" LMAO!...CNN loves the sissy the butch the chaz...

June 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Mitch

We can at least have comfort in knowing her talk show won't last long. Couric is so full of herself. She failed with the evening news and now lets watch her fail again!

June 7, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Katez

You sure as hell can't replace her, not even close. That being said...don't like her...don't like you....too much talk, too much sanctimonious hot air....I'm a woman and I'll watch The Closer and NCIS in syndication before I watch either one of you....Yuck

June 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  43. bruuuuuuce

Strong and impactful does not correlate with 3rd place ratings

June 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

She never indicated she was trying or wanted to replace Oprah. Any talk show that debuts next fall is going to have the stigma of that assumption. Now, while I grant that her stint on CBS nightly news was a career mistake (let's face it, she's not a nightly news kinda girl), her turn on The Today Show was stellar and made her one of the popular names in the nation. If she's going back to a daytime format, it should fit her better.

June 7, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Xerxes

First of all, who would WANT to replace Oprah? Good riddance to her. Second, Couric is a has-been hack that couldn't replace a burned-out light bulb.

June 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annie

You are soooo right!!!

June 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kla

Everyone wants to be oprah. Look at all the people rushing to get a talk show. Oprah's a multibillionaire who gets to dictate the best seller lists and choose the president and has a best friend named gayle.. She's so brilliant

June 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Di

Jeepers...aren't you just an angry & jealous little person ! Let me know when YOU give $50 million to charity and I'll take that comment back.

June 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Col

Di, talk show people CAN be replaced... just get someone as rich as Oprah cause money talks... and yea, maybe she did do some good things but to much attention and fame came from what she done and her head got bigger.
      good deeds are'nt to be exploited or bragged about, read the Bible

June 10, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  45. irene

Cannot wait to see her in her own element.

June 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  46. ian

Go to hell ya ole hag.

June 7, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • elm

I would like to see Ms Couric and her long time love interest, Ms Cynthia McKinney, get married.

June 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • dilberto

Maybe she can get Sarah Palin on and ask her another 'gotcha' question, like What did you eat for breakfast?

June 7, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Posting something like this without an explanation makes you seem like a childish person who cannot form a real opinion. You don't like Katie? That's fine, no one says you have to like everyone. If you are an adult you should be able to competently discuss why you don't like her, or what the article is saying. If you're not an adult you have no business on message boards.

June 7, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |