'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Does Reese have a point?
June 6th, 2011

'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Does Reese have a point?

Last night, the stars came out to celebrate the MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, and Reese Witherspoon was presented with the MTV Generation Award by Patrick Dempsey, Robert Pattinson and Chelsea Handler.

In her acceptance speech, Reese took a swipe at reality stars, specifically anyone with a sex tape, saying “It is possible to make it in Hollywood without doing a reality show. When I came up in this business, if you made a sex tape, you were embarrassed and you hid it under your bed."

I think Reese made a great point. I’m sure there are a lot of young girls out there, looking at the meteoric rise to fame of today’s reality stars, who may think they have to follow in those footsteps to become a celebrity. And that is REALLY bad.

Reese made it on her talent and that, to me (and I’m guessing a whole lot of people), is a lot more respectable than getting famous for a sex tape. What do you think? Does Reese make a good point? Post below.

Also on our show tonight… Our Hollywood Love Check!

After rumors swirled early last week that Scarlett Johansson and Sean Penn ended their relationship after only four months, the pair was spotted together backstage at the Spike Guy’s Choice Awards.

This couple caught everyone by surprise but I like them together. They’re both smart, thoughtful, talented people who clearly connected in a way that meant something to them regardless of what anyone else thought – and that’s what counts. What do you think of this pair?

And Jennifer Aniston is stepping out with a new beau! Jen has been seeing actor/screenwriter Justin Theroux for a just a few weeks, but Theroux has already met Aniston’s closest friends. I hope Jen has finally found love, but more importantly, I hope she’s happy because it cannot be easy when your love life is scrutinized to the extent hers is.

And another Hollywood love story! Kim Kardashian and fiancé Kris Humphries are reportedly drafting a prenuptial agreement. Vote in our "Showbiz Tonight" exclusive poll: Do you think it’d be crazy for Kim Kardashian to NOT have a prenup?

See you exclusively tonight at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN!

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. InTheIndustry

Reese will eat crow soon enough!

June 7, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. speaking the truth is not hate

Reese made an excellent point. Our culture is becoming more and more relativistic. Thanks, Reese, for taking a stand on this one.

June 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thanks, Reese, for taking a stand on this one.

I agree. She was not talking about acting in raunchy movies She was talking about "REAL LIVE" and not being raunchy. Or if your going to be that way, keep it to yourself. Don't worry about Paris Hilton being offend. That Girl is so simple minded. Her show is BORING!

June 7, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pok'Her Face

Id like to see the Jennifer Anniston tape just to make sure its better than the Paris Hilton episode...Hilton just looks boring as heck in her vid.
    It would also be funny to have Reese's tape surface someday. That would be some kind of poetic comedy. Not to mention, when was the last time that girl had any sleep? I could store my clothes in the bags under her eyes.

June 7, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. B.o.

Go back to bed dude.

June 7, 2011 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joyce

Loved seeing the new Kate Plus 8 Show!!! Don't understand why people question her decision to do the shows... I don't doubt for a minute if they had the same offers they would accept. It isn't up to the critics to support Kate's family. Love Kate!!

June 6, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tony

Forget about Reese...

Kris Humphries needs a pre-nuptial because Kim is, and always has and will be about Kim. And, the same can be said of ALL the Kardashians. I have never seen a more self-centered, self-involved, and just plain selfish group of people in my life.

I sure wish their 15 minutes of fame was over already!

June 6, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kate

While I absolutely agree with what she had to say during her acceptance speech last night, I think it's also worth noting that she was seven months pregnant when she married her first husband and, as already pointed out above, has made her share of raunchy movies, as well. Personally, I wouldn't expect that from a "good-girl". Also, good girls don't hide their faces when taking naked picture, they just don't do it at all.

June 6, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. David Brace

Dear Reese,

I want to marry you!

Love, David

June 6, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Maria

To put it in perspective would you really be proud to have your children see this or knowing that they are going to school and getting teased by their fellow classmates?????

June 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marie Kidman

June 6, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ckcgye

She might have a point, but the content of some of her movies hurts her credibility ... raunchy is raunchy.

June 6, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. LEEl

She made a great point. Too many talentless young people are getting into Hollywood and music. Most have little true beauty or talent or education. Too many silk purses being made out of pig's ears.

June 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |