New Manilow album inspired by Britney Spears
June 6th, 2011

New Manilow album inspired by Britney Spears

Barry Manilow sings about the pleasures and pitfalls of fame on "15 Minutes," his upcoming CD that was inspired by a certain blonde pop princess.

"The thing we started to think about was when Britney Spears was being hounded by the paparazzi," Manilow tells the L.A. Times of his concept for the album. "They were driving her crazy. She couldn't have a life without them pulling up next to her car and following her and driving her crazy to the point where, that was around the time she shaved off her hair. I think they actually helped to drive her crazy. We all looked at it in horror… and I said, 'Is this what happens these days?' So it seemed like a thing to be writing an album about."

Manilow, whose new disc drops June 14, also drew inspiration from the young talent he worked with as a mentor on "American Idol."

"What I saw was a lot of young people becoming famous very quickly, overnight," he says. "I've done three 'American Idols,' and it was an amazing thing to watch these young, talented people becoming household names within months. And I remember when I got hit with it, with 'Mandy,' that I was an adult. And yet when 'Mandy' hit, it knocked me for a loop. It turned me into a person I didn't like."

The singer-songwriter admits he began treating people badly.

"I felt I was being demanding. I felt like I was not treating people kindly. But most of all I didn't like where I found myself," he says. "I remember this night in Florida about five years, four years into my beginning of this trip—I don't like the word 'celebrity'—my fame trip. And I was outside in a rocking chair looking at the stars, and I realized that everybody in my house that I was renting on a beach in Florida I was paying. Everybody around me I was paying. My friends had seemed to have disappeared. And this craziness becomes a job, a job that I'm grateful for and that I like, but it's not my life. I had to rethink everything."

1. Tracie

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a weblog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered vivid clear idea

September 16, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Osvaldo

Homeopathic medicines are also often opted for as a final resort, when all other possible medications fail to cure the problem. These nutritional supplements may help prevent some with the brings about of tinnitus signs and might be an effective normal tinnitus remedy. Beverages like tea or coffee should also be avoided, as well as the different forms of processed edible items.

July 5, 2013 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. Brianne

Homeopathic medicines are also often opted for as a final resort, when all other possible medications fail to cure the problem. With the usage of 'Tinnitus Control Ear Ringing Relief' ebook, you are sure to get your desired results. Tinnitus cures that can be made up at home.

June 30, 2013 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. this computer mess is all YOUR FAULT dearie.

June 18, 2013 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. When he steps out your here...its YOUR FAULT.

June 18, 2013 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  6. Barry is just not interested get a hobby other the your habit...the habit is YOUR FAULT.

June 18, 2013 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  7. Barry was out again THAT'S YOUR FAULT he's out.

June 18, 2013 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. Barry was not there right?...that's YOUR FAULT not mine.

June 18, 2013 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. barry has class...this is all YOUR FAULT since aug 28th 2012...this is all YOUR FAULT...

barry has class .... its all YOUR FAULT

June 18, 2013 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. barry has class she doen't its all HER FAULT SINCE AUGUST 29 2012

barry has class.... this is all YOUR FAULT

June 18, 2013 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kristy

Camera manufacturers have pretty much agreed that the current mega pixel rate is not worth improving on, and instead are going to work towards improving resolution for high contrast images. The camera has 1 memory slot, however, it is enough to properly store your photos, movies, and still shots. It has image stabilization integrated into the camcorder to accommodate for your shaky hand or tilting movements and makes your videos even more crisp and clear.

June 18, 2013 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. FELON STILL HACKED INTO PHONES AND TELEVISION

June 6, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Connor

I almost never drop responses, however i did a few searching and wound up here New Manilow album inspired by Britney Spears – The Marquee Blog. And I actually do have 2 questions for you if it's allright. Is it only me or does it give the impression like some of these comments look like left by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting at additional places, I'd like to follow anything new you have to post. Could you make a list of all of all your communal sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

June 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Adan

I have read so many content regarding the blogger lovers however this post is truly a pleasant post, keep it up.

May 31, 2013 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  15. Floyd

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually

something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for

me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

May 6, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Loretta

Hello dear, are you enjoying with this humorous YouTube video? Hmmm, that’s good, I am also watching this YouTube joke video at the moment.

May 6, 2013 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  17. Yes the man is gay

thanks

May 6, 2013 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  18. Kelly can you get me another copy of the toe movie thanks

May 6, 2013 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  19. barry iSS gay

and in vegas now.....nobody cares about this article

May 6, 2013 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  20. 2011 who cares. Barry is in vegas now dear...and gay

May 6, 2013 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  21. This is 2011 nobody cares about this blog..thanks.

next.

May 6, 2013 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  22. the Arm Pit movie and the Toe movie

barry manilow is a legend and always will be unlike gaga who is a has been

May 6, 2013 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  23. Korey

Can you please send by e-mail me the code for this script or please tell me in detail concerning this script?

May 6, 2013 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  24. Dee Jamacek

Barry has a crush on Britney Jim Carrey on Emma Stone What is it with these older guys having a crush on women too young for them??

February 25, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Bily Thompson

I'm not a fan of Barry Manilow, however I do appreciate his work and like what I see as his person. He always seemed like the kind of guy you would meet on a plane that would just be normal. http://bit.ly/jZc62I

June 25, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  26. Mr. X

Proof that hell exists.

June 7, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Easy Off Oven Cleaner

Barry doesnt sing much anymore but he does enjoy using his big jew nose to open cans of Beef A Roni for his audience.

June 7, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Songs from the Oven

I bet he invites Britney over for a Chef Boy Ar Dee Beef A Roni dinner. Jews love Beef A Roni

June 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  29. hoofawted

Next album will be a joint effort, inspired by Congressman Weiner

June 7, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  30. jujubeans

I'd almost forgotten about Brittany. Too bad you reminded me.

June 7, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  31. Crys

One thing that strikes me now when Barry is interviewed is that he seems to be a genuinely nice person. He's got the experience, and I'm sure his new CD will be interesting. It's not like he's working with Britney Spears, just looking at her situation and realizing that music could be created from it. Now, I'm not the hugest fan of his music, but I appreciate him.

June 7, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  32. Meh

Please dont compare that blonde fool with Barry. She's a dancer...a phony. He is a musician and performer. No contest

June 7, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  33. charlie crack

Oh no! Barry and Britney. Could you imagine? Whoa! Hope he just got inspiration and did'nt ask her to "oops and do it again......". Hey @ted-how are ya buddy? Class so early for the summer is killin me! Hey to @peace, @BV, and @mad r@p3r. Hope all's well.

June 7, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  34. Apostate

Ooooooh Britney! Now you came and you gave all your hair up....in a whirlwind of fame....Oooooh Britney......

June 7, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  35. Harry Maniblows

Fantastic stuff..it should sell hundreds... .

June 7, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  36. Ted

Where are all the regulars? Lots of post today but from folks ive never seen before.

June 6, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Marie Kidman

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSvqMBj-ig&w=640&h=390]

June 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  38. JR

Manilow and Spears !! Are you kidding me. Tell how does this not become one of the biggest sellers ever. Look out Thriller.....Barry's coming for you!

June 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chandler

The paparazzi didn't drive Britney crazy. She invited them into her house, she gave them her phone number, had hotel stay overs with them, would call them on her cell to come find her because she was "lost" and needed directions (especially the photo agency X17). She was an addict, and they hooked her up. Now, her videos and tours come with contracts that back up dancers can't provide her with alcohol or drugs, and they must take tests to make sure they are sober.

June 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |