'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Is Rihanna playing us to sell albums?
June 2nd, 2011

'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Is Rihanna playing us to sell albums?

So many people are outraged today over Rihanna’s violent new music video for her single, “Man Down.” In the graphic clip, Rihanna shoots a man point blank in the head. We even see the man lying on the street, bleeding.

We know about Rihanna’s own personal experiences with abuse. In fact, Rihanna just tweeted that her song had a “very strong underlying message 4 girls like me.” But some say she’s crossed the line with this “Man Down” video – and that she’s just playing us to sell albums.

Personally, I don't think Rihanna’s playing us. She's expressing herself. It may be in a provocative way, but this is her art. What do you think? Post below.

Some other big stories we’re fired up about on the show today…

Jennifer Aniston’s new man meets her friends, and a "Showbiz" Newsmaker interview: Justin Timberlake opens up about his exes, Jessica Biel and Britney Spears.

By the way: Have you heard that Donald Trump and Sarah Palin have been talking politics?

See you exclusively at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN tonight!

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

« Previous entry
  1. QueenieTMR

Not my favourite artist but she was right on point with this meaningful song. Anyone who blasts on this is a tru explicit explicit explicit.

June 5, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Keshia

I agree with neicy nash there is nothing wrong with this video the parental rights group got to realize that the parents are the ones who are doing the raising not the tv or radio we even got these rap groups now thats something you should sit down & talk to your kids about

June 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. so does every one else

Well lady gaga does it all the time with her Judas video. So does eminem they all do it; why are people acting so shocked with her video, there is a double standard here. Remember lady gaga paparazzi and telephone. Seriously people need to have a coke and STFP if you don't like the girls music fine; but don't pretend as if shes broken new rules here, cause this has been happening long before she came on the scene.

June 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. KRISS

.......next time she should SHOOT this kinda CRAP in Barbados and don't spoil JAMAICA's image any further.

TY

June 3, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Are you serious??

Really, do you even think before you type? Doesn't matter where she shot the video, people are going to complain. Closed minded and always ready to put someone on blast. If her record label thought this was so bad, they would not have released it. Do you actually think she sits down and says, "well here is how I want my video to look?". She is just acting out her song, but everyone takes this literally serious. Talk about people believing "soap operas". As for her mom, I think she lets her mother know when she is going to act in a video that pushes people's buttons.

And it was shot in Jamaica because of its Reggae beat, if it had a soca beat it would have been shot everywhere else in the WI.

June 3, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. KRISS

She should be ashamed of herself....I am sorry for her poor MOM who brought her up so nicely...oh well MOM is now rich so who cares ??????

June 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kathy

Why in the world do people think that musicians should be raising their children in the first place? Rihanna, in REAL LIFE, did the right thing when it came to the domestic abuse she experienced. Her music is not her manifesto of life. Find real causes to complain about people!

June 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. nikiki

i dont see why people make such a big deal about the shooting in her video. does Jay-Z not have a video of him being shot a couple of times. so why get on her case about it?

June 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jen

I'm old nuff to no better and young nuff to put u in prison . Want some ?

June 3, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rebecca

Which us worse,,Rihanna's video or Madonna playing with her crotch!

June 3, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. I'm Proud To Be A White Hog

Jen, for some reason, just from you comments you come off like you are very young. How old are you anyway..13?

June 3, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jen

@mr ed and tin tin I don't have to . I will switch my name and still keeping trolling . So tee hee to u to . I can see u are the same ppl. U are not to smart. Put that in yuor piehole .

June 3, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mr.ED

Shut your pie hole Jen! You talk too much! Didin't we already told you to take a walk? We don't want you on marquee. Tina just want a little hung in the rear to shut her the f*** up.

June 3, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jen

@tina. They call that trolling. I am learnin how to do it. A persun called tin tin thinks he's the only 1 that can. He's mean to me but I will keep doin it just to make tin tin mad. That is trolling Its for fun nuthing else

June 3, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. Tina

I think you have all lost your minds. The three stooges posting and now this posting. Why are all you people so mean? Mr. Ed you are all over the place being mean.

June 3, 2011 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  15. fernace

All y'all seem a little cranky on your posts! It's probably because you realize we're all being played right, left, front, back & side to side!! Like Beautiful Vixen posted, gov't, GaGa & RiRi playin' us. What's a body to do about that? I say Have Funnn!! Stop the crankyboodies, let's partay! Play some Lady GaGa & Rhianna & throw in some Beyonce' & JLo & it's all good!! To da left, to da left, to da rite, to da rite , to da independents, to da independentwomen!!Yeah, dats rite!

June 3, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  16. Alyssa

Why would you leave out the fact that she's shooting her rapist in the video? It's not some random guy. And if you're getting played or feel you are without even having a definitive answer, it's simply cause you're a damn fool.

June 3, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  17. Hiwayman

You have to even ask??

June 2, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ass Man

@your dad i had your woman last night too. I found your h0 on cra!g$list selling herself for money because times are hard, so she says. I had to throw her out because she stunk so much. Dude tell her to wash the tuna, it stinks

June 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kelly

This is a manufactured outrage. This is her art and she has a right to express herself, just like the Dixie Chicks did in "Goodbye Earl." Of course, there was no "outrage" then.

June 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sunshine Girl *

Just like Lady Gaga only using violence instead. The more outrageous these artists get the longer their name stays in the media. The focus is no longer on their talent or lack of. Its solely on how over the top they can get. The closer to the edge they get the longer people continue to talk about them and the longer they stay in the limelight. Seems to be the equation these days.

June 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tony

I forgot what I was going to write. Yea ok. Another beer please..lol

June 2, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Mr. ED

@your dad: I got a room last night with your mother, wife and daughter. Hate to say this dude but their all used up and too loose for me and i'm well hung. All three are wh0res which seems to run in your family. You can have them back.

June 2, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  23. @Your Dad

F- U – C – K YOU KUNT!

June 2, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Unoriginal RIHANNA

Didn't she sing this song already??????? She's simply banking on her 'victim' status now. I don't condone what Chris Brown did to her, but what she's doing now is simply provoking the issue to keep her name in the news. The song is awful and she can't bloody sing!

June 2, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. oneSTARman

MICHEAL JACKSON cultivated an IMAGE to sell Music – so does GaGa – or MOST PopStar Merchandising Creations. The ONLY REAL DIFFERENCE is that S&M may be just an ALBUM Name that is tuned to scratch an itch from OUR Darkside. BUT it SEEMS to ILLUMINATE something UNWHOLESOME in HER.

June 2, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  26. sdfalk

Seriously

Who writes this crap..
    "it's her art" "is she playing us" "I don't think she is"
    A straight iteration of facts for stupid people with short attention spans..

weeeee

June 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Peace

Hey BV! I know b-mode, been there done that! Glad to hear your in med field! Like I told Charlie, we need you, those old nurses & such are crotchety & mean!they're in b-mode ALL the time! Lol I did see that blog, OMG!!! Glad you're ok! Chat w/ya later!

June 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Beautiful Vixen

@Hey Peace, I'm okay today. Yesterday I wanted to pull a Rhianna and shoot someone...my bad :( . I hate when I get in b**** mode. To answer your question from a few blogs back, I won't be getting out of class until November. It's evening classes, medical field. I went that night because you and Charlie talked me into it. :). Catch you later and enjoy the rest of the day. If you want a good laugh, check out Kim K blog, if you didn't do so already. Later

June 2, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Timme62

What the hell has she done to her hair? She looks like a cartoon character and not in a good way.

June 2, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  30. marleyfan

Just slit her throat when your done.

June 2, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  31. marleyfan

Never seen it, not gonna look for it to see it, don't care if I see it. Someone should shoot her in the head, one less junglerock jigga boo album to waste money on.

June 2, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Peace

Hey BV! How the hec are ya? Haven't "seen" ya in awhile. Hope all is well !

June 2, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Peace

Sounds like something to make a video game out of. Shoot 'em in the head & you win. Just saying!

June 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Roy

I wouldnt mind firing my love gun and filling her butt with some Hot JizBang!!

June 2, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Beautiful Vixen

Lol..yeah right. I bet she can pull some good punches of your own. Yes she is playing us but so is everyone, from the government to her/Lady GaGa, etc..they are all playing us.

June 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. sickofher

She is not the most talented of individuals so this is how you sell records. She is not the only person to use this tyoe of manipulation to garner attention but literally, enough is enough. You were both stupid and young and made some terrible decisions. These 'artisits' are straight garbage!
    By the way, if the answer to violence is more violence she should be shot in the back of the head by the mom of the guy she killed.
    I think I am more outraged that people actually buy her music than I am at the video

June 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  36. sasha

i take it as sort of a hit me once, shame on you, hit me twice and your dead type of motto

June 2, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. LEE

She's playing everybody. She says that she likes it rough, but she is depicted shooting a guy because he is abusive. That makes no sense.

June 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Diamond Dave

Yep, she is. Someone should slap some sense into her. Oh wait....

June 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |