Taylor Swift: The songs I wrote at 16 are a gift
May 31st, 2011

Taylor Swift: The songs I wrote at 16 are a gift

Taylor Swift has definitely done a lot of growing up since breaking onto the music scene at age 16. The 21-year-old says the most notable change is in her songwriting.

In an interview with MTV, Swift says that as an adult, she takes a different approach when writing about hurt and heartache.

"I had this song called 'Picture to Burn,' that's talking about how 'I hate your truck,' and 'I hate that you ignored me,' 'I hate you,'" she says of the tune from her 2006 debut album. "Now, the way that I would say that and the way that I would feel that kind of pain is a lot different."

Swift adds that she has experienced a lot of personal growth since making her first album.

"I look back on the record I made when I was 16, and I'm so happy I made it," she says. "I got to immortalize those emotions that when you're so angry, you hate everything. It's like recording your diary over the years, and that's a gift."

Still, she admits that her opinion about her music could change over time. "Years from now I'll look back and go, 'I didn't know anything then,'" she says.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music • Taylor Swift

1. JenMP3

June 5, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. JenMP3

Love the post Mark..I think that in 5 years what Taylor has accomplished has a huge effect on how she looks at songs..Only 21...Wow..What an amazing talent..Did you know she's obsessed with Grey's Anatomy? The TV series..She even admits that her obsession for the show is at times borderline embarrassing..I like the show...Thanks for the post >> http://tinyurl.com/JenMP3-Taylor-Swift

June 5, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lacy

Taylor isn't the best singer on the planet, but she has wonderful song writing ability and her act is clean, classy and she has tons of confidence and poise. She's a really good example as compared with most of the trash that's out there. I like Taylor. Who doens't sing along with her songs on the radio? Let's face it. Her music is fresh and the lyrics are catchy.

June 3, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. CC

I can't help but wonder why people who dispise Taylor Swift so much have to come on these pages and bash her? My kids love her and so do i. I would rather let my kids listen to Taylor than almost anyone else out there right now. It's obvious that none of her fans care about a bunch of people with poison opinions about her singing ability. I wonder if any of those people could do better? I don't think so or you wouldnt be sitting on articles like this showing how imature and tasteless they can be. Back to the manual labor animals. Get a talent, step up or shut up!

June 2, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MomofFans

She puts me in mind of a young Loretta Lynn, her first songs were about whatever was going on in her life at the time. The biggest difference was Loretta was married at 13, a grandmother by 26 and had a hard living, cheating husband to write about. I have two daughters and hear a lot of TS, never heard a song I objected to by language or subject, unlike some other 'artists' they want to listen to. Go Taylor!

June 1, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. cheefsfury

I HOPE THIS GIFT CAME WITH A GIFT RECEIPT

June 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Voice

This guy wrote pretty good songs at 16. Check him out. http://www.youtube.com/jamalmusic

June 1, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jazmin

omg i lover her!!! <3

June 1, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. be quiet

16, 21, 40. It won't matter the age, she'll always sing out of tune during any live performance she does.

June 1, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. WLM

I cannot stand this chick.. I cannot wait until she becomes irrelevant!

June 1, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. WLM

I cant stand this chick... I cannot wait until she becomes irrelevant!

June 1, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. www.monogrammedeverything.com

Taylor is a refreshing young artist out there...much better than a lot of the female trash that exists for our young fans...

June 1, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. Instigator

I don't know much about her music, but i did do her at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

June 1, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. malea

hi talor swift i love you oll my hert.

June 1, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rastas

The songs she wrote at 16 are just as bad as the songs she's writing now. Just another overexposed, undertalented chicklet that apeals to the masses visually. If she was fat and ugly, no one would ever have given her the time of day.

June 1, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  16. charlie crack

@peace, @BV- Hope you have a wonderful day! I'm tired and can't stand having to get up early.....@ted-very nice/humble of you. You're right some are without work so it's nice that we see the blessings of a job....You all be good, and have a good one

June 1, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  17. Ted

They changed my work hours for a little while. 6:30 am unti 6:00 pm. Pretty long days but i think i am lucky to have a job. There are lots of folks out of work right now. Happy Wednesday Our Good Friends ! ; )

June 1, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  18. qasim

Taylor is the best! Love her! Her songs are getting better and better. Like every song in the album Speak Now was perfect. Can't wait for the new album. Proud to be a proud Swifty!

June 1, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  19. Peace

BV, Did you go to school? Did you tell your teacher to join us here in "Marquee Land" so we can teach that teach NOT to make you mad? Lol Have a good day, BV!

June 1, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  20. Peace

Hi Ted & Charlie! You 2 are up early! Enjoy the day! :)

June 1, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  21. charlie crack

More like she talks, not sings....

June 1, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
    • The Peeing Bandit

While Taylor and I make sweet love we enjoy peeing on one another.

June 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ted

Hi Peace and BV. Happy Wednesday ! : )

June 1, 2011 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  23. NessaPikeeeee

A lot of modern artists kinda get absorbed in the fame, they never think back and then go freaking stupid doing who the f knows what. Taylor swift is an inspiration and the way she understands herself and her world so well is the true gift.

June 1, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  24. fernace

Taylor Swift is not a 1 hit wonder! I'm not a fan, per se, but I appreciate skillfull song writing & talent. She's been around for 5 yrs. now, I think she's got her niche hemmed up!

May 31, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  25. rachel

Also, she's the greatest role model and taught me so much. I even know a girl who was depressed and tried killing herself and then she heard her early music and it changed her life. She got to meet her and talk to her and she saved this girls life. She gave her a whole new outlook on life and helped her stop cutting, start eating and accept herself. And there are hundreds of storys just like that. Taylor is amazing

May 31, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • NyteShayde

Yes, and she walks on water and turns water into wine and if you ask real nice and say pretty please she might part the Red Sea for you.

We get it. You like Taylor Swift. Moving right along.

May 31, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Duke Fairy

I would like to leave some doodee pies under her pillow.

June 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  26. rachel

Taylor will never "burn out". She has the most amazing fans and we can't help but be obsessed with her. She's changed our lives. Her music is the most inspirational, relatable, clever music and if you only knew the group of people known as swifties! We love her personality, her voice, her story, her songs and her performances. As long as she's always writing songs, us swifties will always be buying them!

May 31, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • NyteShayde

Oh Lord...

You're all of what, 14? You don't even have a life yet.

May 31, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Peace

Yes Tim, practice makes perfect !

May 31, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  28. malacam

u guys should get out of your mom's house sometime....

May 31, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  29. @Tim

You are getting some better our good friend. You should include more references to poop and doodoo though. Plus fat jokes sometimes work.

May 31, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  30. tim

that is deacent mean trolling. i am getting some better at it, hopefully.

May 31, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Kanye West

Hey Taylor, that's great that you do all that and imma let you finish, but Beyonce wrote the greatest songs at 16 of all time.

May 31, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sunshine Girl *

Shes done very well for her age. Im sure she still has alot of good music to put out there. At least shes smart enough to look back and then look ahead and see how shes changed. All the young artists of today could learn alot from this lady. I hope she can accomplish alot more before her fame star burns out.

May 31, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  33. xmonkeyfistx

Wow tim...youre an idiot...did you sneak your cell phone back from the doctors at the psych ward? as far as being an artist looking back on your first works goes, i can relate...even though taylor swift isnt my cup of tea...in the genre of music i play, we pride ourselves on growth. if you fall behind in extreme music, you tend to loose more than just your audience... Swift is just that however..swift she came and swift she will go... in twenty years no ones going to care. sorry taylor...thats one of the unfortunate hang ups of being a pop sensation..

May 31, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  34. John

And I bet Tim you are so stupid you would probably eat it. Stupid post gets a stupid reply.

May 31, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  35. NyteShayde

You already said that.

May 31, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Big Roy

John, your anger is a real turn on and is making my weenie twitch and pulse. Lets talk over the phone while I stroke myself.

June 2, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |