'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' trailer hits Web
May 30th, 2011

'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' trailer hits Web

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo's" December 21 release date isn't going to come fast enough for fans.

The curiosity surrounding the upcoming U.S. adaptation of Stieg Larsson's best-seller has been sky-high since the project was announced, but a red-band trailer circulating on the Web is keeping that interest rapt.

According to Deadline, the trailer was released in France and Sweden last Wednesday before moving into select U.S. theaters over the weekend, with a green-band trailer expected to arrive this Thursday.

The brief clip being passed around doesn’t have any dialogue and doesn’t unfold with a traditional plotline, but the pace of the quick cuts coupled with strong imagery leaves us with a solid idea of what to expect from director David Fincher. (It moves fast but is nonetheless not quite safe for work, so you can view the trailer here.)

Set to a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" by Trent Reznor and Karen O., we see Rooney Mara transformed into the pierced and tattooed computer hacker Lisbeth Salander and Daniel Craig take on the character of investigative journalist Mikael Blomkvist.

The Los Angeles Times calls it a “smart approach” to laying the foundation for the release. “The trailer’s cumulative effect is to make the movie feel both polished and raw," says the Times, "a sophisticated product that moves miles beyond the made-for-TV feel of the Swedish-language original."

If you've seen the trailer, does it look like it'll live up to being the "feel bad movie of Christmas"?

Filed under: movies

1. lo2

The original Swedish version was really good (to me) and Noomi, who played Lisbeth, was epic. This new girl has some big combat boots to fill. I just hope they stick to the book as close as they can and try not to make it too much like a James Bond action flick.

June 2, 2011 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. omg

omg shes hot!!

May 31, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. John K

I truly don't understand people who think the Swedish films were so great that they can't be made better, especially by David Fincher. The trailer confirms what I've been saying since the beginning which is that the U.S. versions are going to blow the Swedish films out of the water. I know this isn't true in many cases but I really can't wait to see the new films.

May 31, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kris

The only redeeming quality of the original films was casting Noomi as Lisbeth. She wouldn't return for these films. I think that Rooney actually looks more like the Lisbeth I imagined when I first read the books. I hope she acts just as well.

I personally feel that David Fincher's interpretation won't leave me disappointed. The original films were not very good and left so much out. I think I read somewhere that Fincher wanted to remake them for that reason. He just felt that so many pieces that were important to the story were left out and I agree!

May 31, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sarah

Better than I expected! As a reader of the novels and someone who has seen the original movies, I didn't have much hope for the "new" movies...this gives me some genuine interest in seeing the remakes.

May 30, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duane

I have to agree. I was very skeptical of the news that the movies were to be re-done in the US, but having viewed the red-band trailer, I am a bit more reassured. Only thing that I am still a bit skeptical on is the casting of Lisbeth.

May 31, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |