'Lion King's' coming back to theaters - in 3-D
May 27th, 2011

'Lion King's' coming back to theaters - in 3-D

First we learned that “Titanic” is returning to theaters in 3-D, and now 1994’s “The Lion King” is following suit.

The Oscar-winning film will arrive in 3-D for the first time on September 16, 2011, but it's only sticking around in theaters for a two-week window.

If you miss it in theaters, however, you can see it on DVD: Disney is also releasing "The Lion King" in Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3-D starting October 4.

Trailer below:

Filed under: movies

1. N

when is The lion king. coming to. theather

March 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. flchris77

I'm over all this 3D hype. They can stop now. This is one more step in destroying movies. First the overuse of computerized special effects, now in 3D. Remember when movies needed to have a good story and good writers? Take away the special effects "Look what I can do with a computer" scenes and Avatar would have only been an hour long. Transformers... 45 minutes.
    Movie go'ers today have a steadily declining IQ. Instead of demanding good stories and good acting we've resorted to mentally challenged... "Ohhhhh ... shiney...."

May 30, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |

3. 无聊啊,现在都没什么好看的电影了...尽是重拍

May 30, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. SB

Love the Lion King! Hate 3D! Pointless tech that doesn't add anything of worth to the experience. But still, the Lion King is a great movie. So maybe I will re-watch the original 2D film in protest on September 16. :)

May 30, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jess

Now if only they would develop 3-D glasses that users with regular eyeglasses can use...

May 29, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. stoutfiles

They're re-releasing Hamlet???

May 29, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. blessedgeek

I am waiting for 3-D remakes of ....

Scooby Doo //where are you?//

Road runner //beep-beep//, Wile E. Coyote & Acme

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

Flash Gordon and evil emperor Ming.

May 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. panthersofamerica

Dude this is going to be sweet, I can't wait to see it!

May 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Josie

I think this is ridiculous...why does this movie need to be in 3-D its the same movie and I'm sure half the movie won't even be in 3-D. We as a society buy into the most outlandish things...smh

May 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jesse

This blog should have a confirmation screen for when you report abuses. I just accidentally reported Mark because my mouse happened to be over the link to report his post when I was switching windows.

May 29, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kyle

OH god... Is it wrong for a 24 year to want to see this, not for my kids, but for me? Lion King was the first movie I ever saw in theater's. One of my favorite movies of all time.

May 29, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mark L

Animated movies are easy to make 3-D, and make more sense to do post-production on than live action. They don't have to re-shoot anything, they just add the 3-D "pop" to whatever they want.

However, since it wasn't made for 3-D effects (like Avatar), it doesn't really help the movie much.

They could just re-release the movie for a limited run and still make bucks. I'd love to see it on the big screen again.

May 29, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. 张海龙

现在老是这些无聊的重演,唉,浪费钱

May 29, 2011 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Salam El Kamini

I'D LIKE TO SEE IT BUT SHOULD'NT WE THINK MORE ABOUT HOW OBAMA TURNED AGAINST ISRAEL!
    DEATH TO THE PALESTINIANS SEPTEMBER 2011!!

May 29, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. Natch

Oh, good......ANOTHER 3D movie that I'll have to make a point NOT to go see. What an incredible waste this whole thing is, and only continues to prove that the Hollywood movie grinder has run out of original ideas. They wonder why they don't make money on movies and dvd's any more.....well, it's because it's all JUNK, and most of it's not even worth waiting until it hits the $5 bin at Walmart to buy it!!

May 28, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jeremy

Hollywood is definitely out of ideas... with all these weak superhero movies and remaking/re-releasing everything.

May 28, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Flora

Why? Why must you destroy my childhood?

May 28, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Pupu

who's actually gonna pay close to $20 per person to watch this in the theater? I mean, every household with children must of watched this movie 50 times by now. It's hard to get excited and plan a theater trip over this, even 3D is the difference. Heck, whats next? The Wizard of Oz in theaters?

May 28, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Girl

This is kind of why I'm glad I live in a backwater town. My town will be showing this in the 3-D Imax theatre for exactly $10 or 8 if only in 3D, or even 6 if you're there before 6pm.

May 29, 2011 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  19. outawork

Yawn.....

May 28, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mr. Semaj

They were supposed to do this with Beauty and the Beast.

May 28, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  21. :)

Watch Mufasa die in 3D and see his lion intestines strewn all over the desert and when his guts rupture from being trampled upon the intestines will be flying out at audiences

May 28, 2011 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  22. NIKKI

@Jo: Please get over yourself!! I can post whatever I damn well please...just because you are too lame, too arrogant, and too pompous of a person to get the joke. I guess you feel real good about yourself to criticize me? Stupid ass person..(on in every article)

May 28, 2011 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • palintwit

Sarah Palin is a twit, is a twit, is a twit. Sarah Palin is a twit, she likes to wallow in feces. ( Sung to the tune of Mary Had A Little Lamb )

May 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • trigtardtwit

...drool...

May 28, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. NIKKI

Yes, you can thank Obama for this one...I guess Disney wanted to re-release the "long form" version of his "Birth Video" LMAO!!

May 27, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

YAY, an idiot bringing the president in where he has absolutely NO place, thinking it makes them look smart and clever. (Again, it didn't work) One in every article.

May 27, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Jo,

Let me fill you in so you won't look, or be, as ignorant anymore. Obama made a great joke at a recent dinner after he released the "long form" version of his birth certificate, that he was also releasing his BIRTH VIDEO to provide further evidence. They rolled the clip, and it was the beginning of the Lion King. Got a lot of laughs.

So no, this isn't some random person bringing Obama in the discussion with no relevance. But for some reason, you in your infinite wisdom decided to call him an idiot, whereas you are the only one that is looking neither smart nor clever.

May 28, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  24. Jennifer

Despite their grand claims for it, 3-D is no better than it was when I was growing up. I find the current 3-d lackluster and boring. They should find something else to do with their time.

May 27, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Conred

YES we love that movie in Poland

May 27, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  26. AMG

Kids these days don't know about Disney classics, like the Lion King, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid etc. They have Hannah Montana, which is fine, but where is the MAGIC? Imagination? I'm only 21, but I will see this in theaters to re-live my childhood. The trailer above looks AWESOME!

May 27, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Booo

Obviously Disney is not making the money it used to in animated tales unless they're in partnership with Pixar. Movies like "Cars," "Monsters, Inc.," "Finding Nemo," "Toy Story," etc were very profitable and beautifully put together tales. "Princess and the Frog" (while I loved the idea of Disney's first black princess) and "Tangled," not so much...

May 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • SilentBoy741

No lie - I'm still trying to wipe the stink of "Chicken Little" and "Meet the Robinsons" off the inside of my cranium.

May 27, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • K

You must not have seen either Princess and the Frog or Tangled, because both were excellent movies and could hold their own with the best of the "Disney Renaissance" era films. Tangled even wound up becoming the highest-grossing animated film of all time, so clearly your opinion is in the minority here. Disney has begun a transition from marketing -centric movies to director-centric movies, so chances are good that future films will be of even better quality.

I adore Pixar, but I do believe their studio gets a lot of mindless praise and groundless comparisons. They've released a few stinkers ("Cars", "Monsters, Inc.", and "A Bug's Life" were all pretty bland) and Disney has done successful and creative films on their own without Pixar's involvement, particularly recently.

May 28, 2011 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Russ F

TANGLED is NOT the highest grossing animated film of all time. NOT EVEN CLOSE. It's #14. And adjusted for ticket prices, it's WAY lower. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_animated_films

May 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • John D

Tangled is the most expensive animated film of all time (to make)

May 28, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  28. John Coombs

Movies not originally released in 3D are given an artificial 3D effect. I won't expect the effect to be as good as for movies that were filmed in 3D from the start. Also, from an artistic point of view, do we want movie studios tinkering with the director's vision by making decisions about object placement in a 3D field? Who is to say what the director would have done had he or she been working in 3D from the start? This is like colorizing old black and white movies. Leave the B&W movies in B&W, leave the 2D movies in 2D. Preserve the artist's original vision.

May 27, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • dgatwood

I'm not sure why you think that would be the case for an animated movie. The Lion King was cel animation, so it's not like they're adding 3D to a live action film. The amount of work needed to add 3D to a cel animation is exactly the same as the amount of work needed to do a cel animation in 3D in the first place, which is to say, somebody draws a second set of cels from a slightly different perspective....

May 28, 2011 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  29. Perla

best movie ever!! Lion King songs keep my 5-month old entertained!! cant wait to see it in 3-D

May 27, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  30. r-hope

My favorite movie of all times. Will most def watch it again in 3D

May 27, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Aezel

I would rather just have them re-release the movie as-is on the big screen in 2D than go see some cheesed up 3D version.

May 27, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  32. asgardshill

I could listen to James Earl Jones (the voice of Mufasa) read the Trenton NJ phone book and still be entertained. In spite of the massive headaches I get from trying to watch 3D movies, I'll go to see this.

May 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • AMG

Me too. He was also the voice of Darth Vader.

May 27, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • SilentBoy741

I know, hearing him read the Alderaan phone book blew me away.

May 27, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jorge

I know he is not the same guy, but if you listen to "the Grinch" song it really sounds like him, makes for a hilarious visual of Darth Vader singing it and trying to eliminate Christmas. I bet he could have pulled it off too!

May 28, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  33. TCS

Yet another release that over thirty percent of the population can't watch because 3D causes problems with vision/headaches/etc.

May 27, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obvious

Bet you want peanuts off planes to. Don't go see it in 3D if you don't want to. Quit complaining. Personally I miss the Disney re-releases in theatres since the advent of VHS & DVD's. Now they just re-release to DVD every 7 years. A good Disney animated on a theatre screen is a joy to watch.

May 27, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Daniel

John: You are nice.

May 27, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Robert

No thanks, I can't watch "3D" movies, they give me a headache. Aside from that, the original is just fine. If I want to see a true 3D performance, I'll go watch the live Broadway version (which is amazing, by the way).

May 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Phil

It was bad enough the first time around....

May 27, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • SilentBoy741

Congratulations to Phil, winner of this week's "Describe My Last Marriage In 10 Words Or Less" contest!

May 27, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  37. guest

Stargate in 3D. That would be something.

May 27, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Chris

Actually, of all the 3D formats, Blueray's actually quite good; 3D's best chance of making it, really. I see it only enhancing the original.

May 27, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  39. mddiva35

Finally Disney is releasing it as a DVD. I have had the hardest time finding this on DVD without having to pay $50 (Amazon prices).

May 27, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  40. AG

Stupid stupid stupid. Dont ruin a classic!!

May 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • DianaGail

Then you have a choice, so don't watch it in 3D. I like films in 3D, and I'm glad to see the studios opening their vaults for older films to be converted. Just like colorized films – I like the Shirley Temple films in color. Some folks like to see them in black and white. For god's sake it's only movies, it's not like they are destroying national treasures.

May 28, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jason B.

I'm sorry, but what's to be gained from putting this in 3D?

May 27, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1Love

MONEY!!!!

May 27, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • fred

With the way the animation was done originally, it already looks almsot like 3D. I can't imagine there would be much difference.

May 27, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • croco3

And two weeks in the theatres, and then what? to DVD? How many people have 3D screens at home on planet Earth in 2011? I don't think a masterpiece such as this needs an improvement. Disney should know better than jump on the 3D bandwagon!! But then again, if it's all about money, not art, then by all means, Disney, don't leave Bambi and Pinnochio behind!

May 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  42. kia

lol at Peace and John.

May 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Forest Gump

Tourists are tasty!

May 27, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  44. sasha

I remember when this movie first came out. It was such a masterpiece of the time that it was in theatre for ages

May 27, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason

*It was such as a cash cow at the time that it was out for ages. All it means was that it made Disney alot of money. That said, I love the movie. But staying power in theaters does not indicate a great movie.

May 28, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • well

actually it does

May 28, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raider

I don't think he quite understands how these things work!

May 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Peace

Oh excuse me, another re-release. I guess remaking it in 3-D is diff from re-releasing it. Thank you for the info, John.

May 27, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  46. Peace

Here we go again, another remake. I will say, I always get tears when Simba's dad dies. Very sad part of movie. :(

May 27, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • John

You obviously didn't read. It's just a re-release in 3-d, not a remake.

May 27, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • fred

What do you mean Simba's dad dies ??? I though he just fell asleep? AAAAGGGHHH !!!!! My childhood is ruined. I'm freaking out now ! !! !! Oh my God, he's DEAD !!! Help meeeeeee.............

May 27, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

I didn't know that happened. I haven't seen it yet.

May 27, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • well

you had me cracking up Fred happy Saturday

May 28, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • mohamed

me too just like you :)

May 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason Glugla

3-D is the biggest con that has ever been sold to the public.

May 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • SkipInVegas

Sorry, but I'm one of those entralled with the new technology. Let them re-release the big blockbusters in 3D any day; I'll go to see them. Again.

May 29, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Happy man

That was a good one Fred

May 30, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |