Ryan Reynolds covers Details magazine
May 26th, 2011

Ryan Reynolds: Split with ScarJo was painful

Ryan Reynolds breaks his silence on his split from Scarlett Johansson in the June/July issue of Details magazine, admitting that the experience has changed him forever.

Read the full interview with Ryan Reynolds in Details

"Anyone who gets divorced goes through a lot of pain," says the "Green Lantern" star, who announced in December that he and Johansson were parting ways after two years of marriage.

"But you come out of it. I'm not out of it yet. At all. But I sense that as I do come through it, there's optimism," he goes on. "How can there not be? I don't think I want to get married again, but you always reevaluate these things. Any kind of crisis can be good. It wakes you up. I gotta say, I'm a different person than I was six months ago."

Though Reynolds doesn’t reveal why the two decided to divorce, he does say that the media's take on the reasons they broke up were wrong.

"What was happening privately was the exact opposite of what was being reported," he says. "There was no story and no scandal, so the narrative was just created for me. That was the most disturbing part."

Despite his failed marriage, Reynolds insists he is in a "very lucky and fortunate place" and is moving on.

"Relationships ending move you from who you were to who you are at a much more accelerated rate than almost anything else on earth," he says, adding that he and Johansson remain on good terms. "Departing a relationship and still maintaining the idea that this is still the same person I married is a great luxury that I experienced. Thankfully I was in a relationship where two people chose to remain on the high road in every regard."

Still, Reynolds admits, the experience has left him altered.

More photos from Ryan's Details photo shoot

"You've got walls up in a way you didn't before," he tells Details. "But you're also open to things in a way you weren't before. I have no interest in dating right now. It just seems so kind of alien to me at this point." In fact, he says, "I'm very happy not to be in a relationship right now. That's OK. I didn't plan on it, that's for sure ... but that's OK."

The June/July issue of Details hits newsstands June 7.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. wayne martin

Ryan Reynolds Fans.... who's gonna see the Change up ?!?! thoughts? http://on.fb.me/pxjRoF

July 18, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lennie Ross

No joke it's painful, have you seen that body on her?! But she's gotta be hurting too, Ryan's a hottie, and she moved on to Sean Penn!? He's twice her age!

Lennie Ross

June 11, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. hilda mootz

Oy! Such a dollink – so handsome. He should find a nice jewish boy and settlle. Oy.

June 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ugh

actors are airheads and this guy is no exception.

June 9, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Meh

I heard he cheated with Snookie

June 8, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. traci

I cant believe she went from Ryan Renolds to Sean Penn. BARF!!!!

June 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. P00P

I KNOW WHY THEY BROKE UP. SHE WANTED TO GIVE HIM A CLEVELAND STEAMER, BUT HE DIDN'T WANT IT.
    THAT'S OK, I'D TAKE A CLEVELAND STEAMER FROM SCARJO ANYDAY!!

May 31, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. anonymous

to S. Dalfakano and Chris. Ryan is a good actor and he says many time how grateful he for being able to do comedy, drama and action. If you have to wonder how he continues to work well that does not fair well for your intelligence. Obviously you have watched a couple of his movies to know this and you must care, because who takes the time to post about something you care nothing about. I think your green fans are showing.

May 28, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. I like this guy

Always have and probably always will.

May 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lee

Ryan/Scarlett suck! They should enjoy their time on earth with all of their worldly possessions because where they're going everything will burn up

May 27, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jennifer

Iit clearly doesn't make sense why they got a divorce. They were both so perfect for eachother but the fact that Scarlett down-graded and went for an old geezer surprises me. Maybe she just wasnt' into Reynolds.

May 27, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mari

Ryan is gorgeous. Scarlett is ugly and makes the perfect companion for Sean Penn. I would think he'd have better taste in women but between Alanis and Scarlett he needs a break! He doesn't seem like the womanizing type but while he's single have at.

May 27, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. RMW

"Relationships ending move you from who you were to who you are at a much more accelerated rate than almost anything else on earth." That's actually a fairly profound quote. It sounds nice, at least.

May 27, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Elizabeth

I have to say that Ryan Reynolds is the epitome of a gentleman with regards to handling the divorce. I hope we never know what happened between the two of them, it's not our business. They both continue to say glowing things about each other, while acknowledging the dissolution of their marriage was difficult. Very classy.

May 27, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  15. ggrunter

Isnt it totally wierd that If you wanted to bang one off in 1872 in the Wild West you had to cop a squat in an outhouse with a moon cut in the wooden door? The next time you are sitting in your leather recliner chair watching cable sipping a latte from Starbucks just remember that If this were 300 years ago youd be sitting in a TeePee freezing with a buffalo fur wrapped around your shoulders. Scarlett, call me. Well play hide the monkey.

May 27, 2011 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  16. vivia1212

I didnt even know he and Scarlett were married! I'm sorry if anyone have seen VickyChristina Barcelona,i believe Scarlett is alot like the commitment-phobic character she plays.

May 27, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

oh, have you dated her? Please. Actors aren't the characters in movies. She's also 26. I don't think you get to make assumptions about strangers' commitment issues until they are at least in their 30s

May 27, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  17. haribong

time heals ryan... you're still young & able... God has better plans for you. I wish you the best.

May 27, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  18. Peace

Another Hollywood split, imagine that.

May 26, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  19. no name

Who cares?

May 26, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Brooke Hogan

I am single and hook with me Ryan. I can rock your world 24/7.

May 26, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Chris

Had Ryan Reynolds ever been in a good movie? How does he keep getting work?

May 26, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • S. Dalfalano

Ryan Reynolds has never been in a good movie and he will never be in a good movie because he is a terrible actor. One of those guys that is all looks but no substance. The superhero movie he is in, another superhero movie (like we need more of those), looks really bad. He seems like a nice guy but his career will be forgotten in a decade. I bet on that. Any offers out there?

May 28, 2011 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

hey he's always in good/great movies he's a good actor plus he's hot so all i got to say is if you don't like him don't read about him or watch his movies!!!!!!!!! i for one am going to see the green lantern when it comes out in 3d!

May 30, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Name*angie

Ryan can come and lean on ma shoulder..... n marry me..lol...no I'm just kidding...well at least he is bein man enough to tell everyone how he feels...and he not fronting like some of these fake dudes our there.

May 26, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Lynn Rogers

Divorce is very painful i have been divorced twice but you have a home that u can call your own I don't I lost everything in both divorces and I am starting recover personally and working the finnancial part of it

May 26, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  24. tammy

Very classy guy. How could you not like him? I know he will find someone he can trust himself to love again

May 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  25. anonymous

ray ray I know you wish he was. It is so annoying when you guys label every good looking male actor gay. If you have a wish list why don't you just write it down and pass it among your friends and stop posting statments about people 's lives you know nothing definitive about.

May 26, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. anonymous

It is so annoying when you and others refer to every good looking male actor in Hollywood Gay. If you guys have a wish list why don't you just pass it among your friends and stop publicly trying label their i private lives.

May 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  27. jb

ryan is a stoner? really?

May 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Cat

Wow. I thought he was a hottie before, but now, listening to him admit he's hurt, and the fact he's not just jumping on to the next love boat? I love it when men "man up". Mr. Reynolds, you just got hotter. I love smart men.

May 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

your sooooooo right he's been hot but now i really love him! hot,hot,hot!

May 30, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  29. the_dude

Of course he is sad. Anyone who has to walk away from a piece of ass like that is going to be sad. Or is he sad because she left him for Sean Penn whos claim to fame is playing a retarded charecter in some movie from years ago?

May 26, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • S. Dalfalano

Hahaha "Sean Penn whos claim to fame is playing a retarded charecter in some movie from years ago?" Are you serious or just a really clueless hater? Yeah, because his claim to fame could not come from the two Academy Awards for Best Actor wins and five nominations? It reads like someone's (you) political "principles" have clouded them from seeing true talent. Sean Penn without a doubt, except your clueless doubt, is one of a handful of truly great actors working today. nobody disputes that, except you.

May 28, 2011 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
    • the man

i agree with the dude, although im not sure if hes referencing fast times at ridgemont high or the other one?

June 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  30. jb

so would it be safe to say she left him? i wanna know why they divorced.
    he is hot :)

May 26, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Caroline

Curiosity killed the cat..What if they just fell out of love..in the end it's really none of our business right;)

May 28, 2011 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  31. Superhiro

He'll get over it. He's the Green Lantern :P

May 26, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Snickerdoodle

In brightest day, in blackest nights,
      No one's as hot as Ryan Reynolds in tights! :)

June 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  32. WLM

Well considering they got together so quickly and married, I am not sure why he is so surprised... I do really like both of them so whatever works for them works.....

May 26, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  33. Brooke

Oh Ryan, I've loved you since Two Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza place. If she won't have you (moving on to Sean Penn? barf) then I will. Funny, hot, and physically fit? Sign me up.

May 26, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  34. Jean

Because he had a divorce with SJ, a hot chick? Or because he is a pretty boy? Either way, you're comment is so mature. There are way less offensive ways to call someone gay, but what would be the point, right?

May 26, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  35. The Mad R@p3r

I think ray ray implied it because Ryan is an atheist, and we all know where that leads. Opposition to Prop 8, marijuana abuse, 2-girls-1-cup.

May 26, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Name*angie

Lol...ur not doin nothing but playin ur self...admit it your a hater!!

May 26, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  37. blah

wow, you have to much time on your hands to sit around and think up all these insulting names. Are you 12? cause you sure in the hell are acting like it. grow up!!

May 27, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  38. Jan

Angie, what kind of illiterate ghetto computer shorthand language are you speaking? Sad thing is you probably think you're being hip when you're really just being... dip?

May 28, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  39. calmncool

We also know all about 'your kind'. And we're not impressed.

June 19, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |