Chelsea Handler: Not a fan of '16 & Pregnant'
May 26th, 2011

Chelsea Handler: Not a fan of '16 & Pregnant'

MTV’s docu-series about teen pregnancy, "Teen Mom" and "16 & Pregnant," are often criticized for glorifying teen pregnancy, and late-night host and author Chelsea Handler is one of the critics.

Handler, who’s known for her no-holds-barred comedy, says that she tries to make fun of everyone of “as often as possible” and believes that “people are too P.C.,” as she tells the New York Times in an interview.

“We need to be focusing on other things. We’re seeking out such grossness in human behavior and want such mindless entertainment,” she goes on. “‘The Real Housewives of Atlanta’ and some of these other shows are more racist. Or ‘16 and Pregnant.’ Getting rewarded for being pregnant when you’re a teenager? Are you serious? I mean, that makes me want to kill somebody.”

And Handler speaks as someone who has faced teen pregnancy personally. The 36-year-old comedian reveals that she had an abortion at 16.

“Because that’s what I should have done. Otherwise I would now have a 20-year-old kid,” she tells the NYTimes. “Anyway, those are things that people shouldn’t be dishonest about it.”

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Normally I don't read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up rather forced me to try and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, especially nice post.

Right, just gotta say thisWhen someone writes like you guys have done right here, I just have to make sure I bookmark their site. Thanks for this information!

December 8, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. Yay google is my world beater assisted me to find this great website ! . "Every man dies. Not every man lives." by Tim Robbins.

I ought to say, youve got one with the best blogs Ive noticed in a long time. What I wouldnt give to have the ability to generate a blog thats as interesting as this. I guess Ill just have to keep reading yours and hope that one day I can write on a subject with as significantly information as youve got on this 1!

November 18, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. steve

You know who gives a rats ass what Chelsea thinks maybe the world should just follow her example spread ur legs n don't use the proper protection and if u get pregnant don't worry about it...you can just go to the doctor and turn that fetus into a scrambled egg n b done with it...Chelseas mom should of aborted her...she got alot of nerve to criticize someone with the decisions she's made in her life....Chelsea you suck n blow or maybe you should.....haha

May 29, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. biblicalaaron at blogspot

Hopefully these young girls won't have complications in pregnancy, because, if they do, an abortion may save their lives, but according to the link below fewer and fewer doctors are even trained to perform abortions.

May 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ConservativeinChrist

Yeh Chelsea. Just get rid of your mistake by killing it. That's better! Rather than just face up to the fact you made a mistake and raise it the best you can. Love conquers all! And I do believe that the show glorifies teen pregnancy. "Wow, look at them! I can get pregnant and get on TV to!" How about you quit looking to Hollywood for tips on how to live and raise children and look to God.

May 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Renee

Tha's a hard 36! She's right about the 16 & pregnant, it started as a teaching moment for young girls. When you start putting these girls on covers of magazines & gossip sites, you've turned them into psuedo-celebrities.

May 27, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bob

Yet Chelsea regularly has the Kardashians on her show. Without a doubt the most idiotic, materialistic, unreal, greedy, self centered, untalented, overblown vomit inducing BS family of the millenium. I like you Chelsea but your comment about reality shows doesnt hold water when you let Americas most famous clowns on your show. If you really had the comedy fangs mentioned you would tear those useless vats of fat and makeup apart every chance you get.

May 27, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. Doug

One more reason to cancel cable.

May 27, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. queensupreme

if you think this show glorifies pregnancy, and pay them for getting pregnant, lets think about welfare.
    If EVER there were a program that glorifies pregnancy it would surely be the welfare program. They increase benefits
    for each child, and each child has health coverage. They get housing, utilities, education (if they want it) EVERYTHING for free. THERE's a reason to get pregnant.

May 27, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. allanhowls

Someone as horribly unfunny as Handler has no room to talk about how low entertainment has sunk on TV.
    My guess? It wasn't an abortion; the fetus committed suicide to avoid having her for a mother.

May 27, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. Peace

Abortions should never be used as a type of birth control, period. There are times when an abortion is needed, then it's between the woman & her doctor.

May 27, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Grace S

As an adult, I enjoy watching shows like Teen Mom and 16 & Pregnant. I'll be honest, I watch it because it's entertaining to watch people whose live are far worse off than my own. But I also work with young adolescent girls and know that they don't watch it through the same lens I do. They don't see the struggles, the hardships, the poverty, etc. They talk about Leah and Cory's wedding, what a cute couple they make, how cute the girls' babies are, the cute clothes that the babies wear, the marriage proposals that the guys make, and so on and so on. While I agree that the show would make a great tool to open discussion about the hardships of being a teen parent, it has to be done with the intervention of an adult guiding discussion and asking questions. Otherwise the girls are only seeing the romanticized aspect of it.

May 26, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. yuepyup

i personally know one of the girls from 16 and pregnant/teen mom and she thinks shes famous now. goes into diff places expecting everything free. she admitted she got pregnant on purpose to be on the show. only for the money. these girls go on these shows to become famous. they dont understand the responsibilites of a child. i myself had a child at 18, and im doing just fine with OUT the help of my parents or anybody.

May 26, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. samantha

First off, she wasn't saying teen pregnancy doesn't suck. She was saying that they tend to only show one option. The show sends the message that it is better to have a baby as a teenager or give it up for adoption in some cases than to have an abortion. Lay off. If you don't like abortion...don't get one and deal with that decision. But everyone has the right to make that decision. But the option is out there and should be in part of the decision process. I am sure the decision to have an abortion for her was not an easy one.

May 26, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. caliconor

Yeah, take it off the air...because you know, if this show wasn't on T.V., the Teen Pregnancy would go down drastically.
    /sarcasm

With that said, people still watch MTV?

May 26, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. twisted

@ All of you pro life people. Abortion is a choice, I personally don't agree with it, but I can't bash another person's choice. Alot of these woman that have abortions either b/c they are hinding it, don't want the baby to begin with unfit to start have to many they barely feeding or some medical reason The system is over crowded not enough DECENT foster homes not enough money inthe foster system and the adoption processis too long even then there aren't enough willing people to adopt BUT PLENTY OF AZZHOLEZ

May 26, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Storyguy

Hey Twisted – If there are not enough willing people to adopt, then why are so many people adopting internationally? I am pro-choice, but every day I am grateful that 18 years ago, a scared 17 year old girl was less selfish than Chelsea, and had the courage to trust my wife and I to adopt her baby boy. Next week, she is going to see him at his high school graduation. If society did not consider adoption more of a stigma than being an unnwed teenage mother, then more teenagers might consider it. And if childless couples could overcome the fear and consider open adoption, then the birthmothers would not feel like they abandoned their children.

May 27, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  17. bgl

The problem I have with the show is that while it does show the difficulties one can endure concerning teenage pregnancy it also feeds a common teenage girl malady. Attention. There are some teenaged girls who will do ANYTHING for attention including getting pregnant. And while the show is supposed to be cautionary it feeds into this attention monster mentality that a lot of these young girls have. It doesn't matter what kind of attention it is it is attention. Some girls will look at the show as the warning its supposed to be, but others will only see that these girls are on t.v.

May 26, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. B=Dog

Too bad Chelsea can't abort herself... she's NOT funny.

Anyway, if you want something funny, check out Ali G at an abortion rally.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGHABbJBP5U&w=640&h=390]

May 26, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

Obviously you are a moron. Really? An Ali G clip? By your logic you should have been aborted because your not funny.

May 26, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Noodle

"Getting rewarded for being pregnant when you’re a teenager? Are you serious? I mean, that makes me want to kill somebody.”
    You already DID, Chelsea. And she would have been 20 years old this year.
    How about a big round of applause!!!! Not everyone can be a murderer, and brag about it, no less!!!!
    At least the 16 year olds are carrying their babies to term. They have more guts than you'll ever have!!!!

May 26, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Stef

"...that's what I shold have done". Are you kidding me? Maybe you should have carried your baby to term and given that poor baby to someone who would have loved him or her forever. It is a sick world we live in that glorifies women who choose to kill their babies but investigates Mariah Carey for drinking a beer. 16 year old children can't possibly fathom the consequences of living with such a choice for the rest of their lives. And, it is very sad that a celebrity would boast about having an abortion. I will pray for you, Chelsea and your baby. BTW, hasn't she been 36 for the past couple of years? Her child would be about 30 by now.

May 26, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Linda

I am now 57 years old with a son turning 37 and one turning 41. I am one of the lucky ones. I married, but divorced after 5 years and two sons. Thank God I was assertive and always wanted to be someone- that person that was never homeless and with starving kids. My sons are single and do not want kids. I am very happy that they have decided to forego that responsibility. I can assure you- it was no party raising one with learning disabilities and the other a THUG. Well they have turned out to be good adults and that is what counts- but it certainly is nothing to be proud of nor write home about much less make money off of. I truly find it disgusting and those babies will suffer for it.

May 26, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. blah

I agree that being 16 and pregnant is not something to flaunt, or be rewarded for, but you shouldnt be hated for it.

May 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  23. nitrous

I'd impregnate Chelsea – as long as she doesn't make jokes about my enormous

May 26, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  24. A fan

Teen Mom does not glorify pregnancy it shows the absolute worst side of being a teen mom. Missing out on school, losing friends, boyfriend dumping them, ignoring the baby. I think its a great example of what the heck you don't want to do. I applaud MTV for keeping it real. That show gets really ugly sometime and these girls need to see how a guy will really treat them when their pregnant.

May 26, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Just Say No to WASPs

Reality is the quiet cancer that has infected the brains of many people around the world. Responsible for global laming, reality television lowers adult's IQ's and starves children of their right to one. Get rid of Reality television before it is too late.

May 26, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ga Peach

The message I see from this show is "get knocked uup at 16" and get a lot of money for it. If they want to do a real show on pregnant 16 year olds and show it for what it truly is, there should not be any money involved. I am afraid now some 16 year olds will get pregnant for the $'s.

May 26, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Parkerman

She got an abortion at 16 because thats what she should have done? No, what she should have done is not get pregnant in the first place either using birth control or abstinence. Once your pregnant your choice is over and you need to be responsible and place it for adoption. A 20 year old that never had a chance in life.

May 26, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Adam

16 & Pregnant? If it were my daughter it would be called 16 & getting an Abortion! Then I'd find the SOB who knocked her up with my shotgun and make sure he dont do it again.

May 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Parkerman

No what she should do is be made to carry the child and put it up for adoption. She had the choice before she got pregnant.

May 26, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dao

If it was your daughter perhaps you should have raised her better. Might want to turn that shotgun on yourself and do us all a favor.

May 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  29. fedup

I think Handler's comments are long over due. The show makes it seem like the only option in a teen pregnancy is having and keeping the baby. Abortion and adoption should be given EQUAL emphasis on this show. I have seen the show – many of the teen moms & dads never should have had or kept the babies in the first place. The only responsible example on this show was the couple who gave their daughter up.

May 26, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • dtcpr

My cousin watched 16 & Pregnant and she said there was an abortion episode, but that it was played late at night and she only saw it once (you know how MTV loves to replay things 100 times). It's sad that with the ultra-conservatism in this country even MTV can't run an abortion episode wihtout being cautious.

May 27, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  30. Jilly

I don't watch the show and am not a fan of Chelsea Handler, but one thing I do agree with is that this might entice young girls to want to get pregnant so they can be on this show. But this is really more of a knock on these so-called reality shows, where people will go to any extreme to get in the spotlight and be on one of these shows.

May 26, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  31. jb

beth if you think its "glorifying the situation" then why are you watching the show with your 14 year old daughter. obviously you think its ok or u wouldnt do that

May 26, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beth

Actually I've WATCHED it with her. Thats how I came to the the conclusion that it glorifies it!

May 26, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Beth

I had a child at 18 and I still struggled, I wish I waited. My 14yr old daughter and I watch this show together, and yes I do think they glorify the situation. And you dont need to be 16 and pregnant to reap the benifits of welfare, my loser brother-n-law is 33 and never worked a day in his life and now he has his fourth child on the way. My taxes and my husband taxes and all of you pay for his and his families food, rent, and medical! Dont be angry at the show and MTV, be angry with our lax government with the welfare system. And by the way, when I was pregnant after I graduated from high school, I was and never have been on welfare, my husband and father of my only two children that I've had had a job and so did I. I've also went to college after my youngest turned two.

May 26, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  33. jb

the percentage of girls who will or have seen 16 and pregnant or teen mom that will actually see this show and think they WANT to get pregnant just bc of the CHANCE at getting famous, rich or being on tv is very small in relation to the % that will see the struggles and hopefully avoid getting pregnant, overall the show is a good thing.

those girls who think "im gonna get pregnant and get on MTV" would probably end up pregnant anyways.

May 26, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Kateeeeee

Chelsea Handler is awesome. She's telling the truth. Teens are looking for anyway to make it big, so why not get pregnant, ruin your life, but you'll be on MTV!!! So stupid.

May 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Latoya

I've never seen the show & quite honestly, I refuse to waste time on this garbage!!! I was 16 & pregnant. Abortion was not an option for me. I lived up to my carelessness. Like a REAL parent, I had to get a job & still go to school. I struggled to give my daughter everything. My parents only chipped in when I couldn't. I did get "handouts" for education or end up on the cover of a magazine. What I got was the pressure of growing up fast, leaving my childhood behind, & the absolute dedication to my child. I worked 2 jobs & went to school. U would have never thought I was 17. I busted my hump everyday to maintain & I admit after years of doing that on my own, it wore on me. I didn't go to prom or even graduate from high school. I ended with a GED & diverted dreams b/c I worked 40 hrs a week to be a provider. Those r the things they need to show. My daughter will b 13 this year & she hasn't miss out on having anything. I pray everyday that she won't end up like me; 29 & just now finding the time to pursue her dreams!

May 26, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Elizabeth

Here are some wonderful Christian videos that some of you may find comforting or perhaps draw closer to Christ.

He loves us all VERY much. Even these MTV teen moms. :-)

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u59bUlEGack&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYaTywSDmls&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDoCIfEivOQ&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXYJ4etTEpo&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab7eBk7Nl5s&w=640&h=390]

And because of our sin- we can end up in Hell as well.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--l0M963b5A&w=640&h=390]

As a baptist Christian, I want no one to go there. No one.

May 26, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  37. sheppard

"and exactly who cares what Chelsea Handler thinks?" – +1!

May 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Kennedi

No, I don't feel it's glorifying it BUT 16 y/o girls are stupid and immature...period. They see this as "yeah, it's hard but I can get famous from MTV and make enough money to take care of my baby and my baby's daddy". I don't think the show's concept is bad, its just the fact that everyone knows 15 mins of fame on MTV turns into years of irrelevant press and cash (ie: 'The Jersey Shore')

May 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Moi

It makes more sense to be 16 and pregnant when a body is young than 40 and pregnant. Why is there such a stigma, it is after all the natural order of things.

May 26, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  40. AMGR

I became pregnant at 15 and had my first at 16, my daughter is now preparing to turn 21. While I was not able to go the route Ms. Handler did in regards to her pregnancy, I feel her sentiments. I cannot watch these shows without feeling that in some way, not matter how small, it is glorifing this issue. If you want to really show what it is like to go through teen pregnancy and show what life is like, let them sit in a class and talk to someone who has honestly experienced it. Not on a TV show. TV will make reality shows out of anything these days if it will get viewers. You want to know what teen pregnancy is like? Talk to someone who has experienced it in real life, not on TV.

May 26, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. EricKuma

If anyone watches this show they see how miserable and extremely unhappy ALL of these girls are.
    Maybe Chelsea is jealous that they get paid for the show.
    In my opinion its a small and irrelevant gripe.
    Parenthood is forever.

May 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • i bet

i bet they would be more miserable if cameras weren't following them around.

May 26, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  42. the_dude

Whoever that old bag in the picture is man she looks terrible. Like she just woke up and rolled out of bed. Looks like a 70 yr old woman that uses botox

May 26, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Candace Kane

Chelsea Handler comes across as a very bitter women. She had an abortion at 16 probably caused her to be nasty as she is today.Did she ever have any other children, probably not. I never watch Chelsea's show as it seems she has a chip on her shoulder.She just does not come across as a comedian and it shows in her face something really traumatic has happened in her life. That show 16 and Pregnant should be a wakeup call for young women everywhere.

May 26, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Searching for an Atheist Extremist

I had my first son at 15 years old. His father left, my parents kicked me out, I was too young to drive, rent a movie, have a phone, or even be legally employed full time. My son is 16 now. I homeschooled him up until last year. He just recently won first place in our state for 3D-computer animation. He is a brilliant, loving, respectful, and compassionate person and someone I am proud to know. Even with such a positive outcome for me personally – which flies in the face of all the expectations and statistics – surrounding teen parents – I find this show to be grossly inappropriate. It does an enormous disservice to young women pregnant or not. It doesn't reflect genuinely the magnitude and very real challenges that teen parents and their children are faced with each and every day. The millions of dollars that go into the production of these shows would be much better used to help fund prevention and services which would assist young women in helping them to be productive parents.

May 26, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  45. GOP

So Chelsea is a pos murderer. Abortion? Really? She doesn't deserve to live.

May 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Name*angie

I don't think abortion should be an option for anyone,,I believe adoption should,,there are thousands of women out there who unfortunately can't have a Child, y kill a beautiful little blessing, when you if your not ready to have q child or what ever the reason is you can give someone else that little blessing, and give that baby a chance in life like your parents gave you!

May 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • dtcpr

What about when the pregnancy threatens the life of the mother? Or when the baby will only live a day outside the womb? There are legitamite medical reasons for women to terminate pregnancy.

May 27, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Name*angie

If its a life or death situation than that's different there's really nothing that can be done there,,,wow what if the baby lives one day out the womb,,I just told people at my job about that little comment they all said your dumb...they all said that's not a good excuses to have an abortion...personally I agree I know someone who's child was only gonna live for a day it ended up being 3 hours she said she will do it again in a heart beat ....so as u can see everyone has different opinions and if u didn't know maybe you should go read a book, without pictures!

May 27, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Kasi

I watch this show and I think it is all about getting on TV. Yes these girls are showing the struggles of being a teen mom but people are forgetting, in the back of these teenagers' minds is that, yeah I am struggling now, but just wait until I get that fat check once the season is over. No more struggles! Have you all looked at the magazines!? These girls are making bank and the money they get is going towards sports cars and boob jobs! I don't see any money going towards those unfortunate babies.

May 26, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  48. MJ

26 long years ago in 1986, at the age of 16, I became a "teenage mom." No TV show, No daycare in the highschool. No compassion, the guy bailed. Just pure and bitter hatred towards me from almost everyone from the kids at school, the teachers, family and let's not talk about the general public. They looked at me with disgust. At best I could hope for indifference. I wanted to stay in school and graduate, and I did but with very little help. My Mother watched the baby so I could go to school and that's when she felt lke it. My life was hell! Fast foward to 2011. I am a happily married mother of 3 and I am inching ever closer to completing my college degree. My 25 year old daughter is amazing, beautiful, smart, educated, employed. She too is wrapping up her college education. I'm not saying I'm a success story because we have had our lumps and continue to however, overall, we have triumphed. There was no fan fare. This show is all about expoitation, enabling and glorifying teen pregnancy. Sure, it may show them struggling but behind the scenes, there is a big check coming. In a year, they'll be broke and still have the kid to raise. I just think it sucks they get 15 minutes of fame and a pay check for being irresponsible.

May 26, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Mammy

If you just supported everybody cornholing, then none of this trash would have human garbage babies.

May 26, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  50. MyKitchenB1tch

You ladies better all be the kitchen while commenting this, now stfu and make that dinner!!!!

May 26, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Coffee with lots of lumps

Watching 16 and pregnant is watching a show glorifying auto wrecks and people whacking themselves in the head with a hammer. Stupid people do stupid things.

May 26, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Brook

I think Chelsea Handler's mom should have had an abortion.

May 26, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  53. jessica

I was 15 n prego. where was this show at back in 96?? hmm i would had money n help lol .. kids need to take it serious its hard being a young mommy. lucky i had the daddy n i still do but most run off.. sadly . i thhink the show is ok as long as parents take time to explain the situations to their teens. Its not easy to go to school n take care of a child and work.. take it from me. then i had another at 16 ended up with no hs diploma but years later im in college soo kids think twice its not fun..

May 26, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • DLM

I hope you're hot or your babies daddy(s) stayed with you, because I cannot imagine how few men would be interested in a 30 year old woman with two 14 & 15 year old kids.

May 26, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  54. dc

I generally like Chelsea Handler, but there's something a little hypocritical for someone whose entire career is based on recounting her tales of drugs, partying, and irresponsible behavior to turn around and criticize shows like this. She isn't exactly the best role model for these girls herself.

May 26, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

I agree with you. I guess she is 'worldly' now that she has dated 50cent.

May 26, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  55. ryan

I Hate Those Shows With A Passion. My Girlfriend Watches That Show All The Time And It Angers Me. I Hope The Ratings Suck And They Stop Playing That Trash! I Hate That Show. Now We Have A Kid... So Much For College.. Thanks 16 And Pregnant For Showing My Gf The Way.. Not!.. Ps I Love My Kid, Just Not The Shows..!!

May 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Name*angie

I think its funny that people are blaming the show for teen girls gettin pregnant on purpose!FYI they were doin it before the show ever aired:......n I have seen girls do it thinkn its cute but than get a reality check when that baby came.it really is a shame I don't praise it I am against teen pregnancy but I do agree the show does show the struggle and pain and the lost of childhood,, but i do not agree of them gettin paid for it...I think if mtv wants to help and I quote "help stop or lower the rate of teens gettin pregnant" they should not pay a dime,,,I know women who were teen moms and go to schools and tell there stories for free...including my own mother....so I kinda have mixed feelings for 16 n pregnant...I don't think we should criticize anyone for the choices they make in their lives cause last time I checked noone in this world is perfect your life is what you make of it we are our own bosses in our lives;)...only one person in this whole universe should judge n that's god!

May 26, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  57. AndyName*

I agree that show should be taken off. I had a kid with my girlfriend who was 16. We didnt have no tv show, I dont regret that I had a beautiful girl who now is 15. But she did change our course in life. Dont praise these kids with a tv show

May 26, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

obviously you did not have the opportunity to finish your education once your 16 year old girlfriend had my baby.

May 26, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  58. gamble_stars

lol @ the racist people and your outdated thinking....if you bleed from bullets and breathe the same oxygen, you are better than NOBODY on this earth.

May 26, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • uncle remus

Wrong again Nigg-let.

May 26, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • gamble_stars

lol you crack me up. Since nobody on this earth is immortal, you are not higher than anybody hahahah piece of shranel slice your neck, and you bleed out, or your heart fails, heck, gun shot wound...or how about that classic deadly car accident or disease..you see? All of that can happen to you, which makes you the sames as the other 7 billion people on this planet.

May 26, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

@ gamble,
      Speak for yourself, non Highlander.

May 26, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Iwannabeamom

I really would like to see MTV do something useful with all of it. My husband and I can't have children and adoption is so dang expensive! Match me up with one lol!!!

May 26, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ole Grandad

Give ole grandad a slice and he will pump you full of HOT GOOBER JUICE and keep pumping until its running down your leg into your husbands mouth.

May 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iwannabeamom

Mmmm no thanks. Besides it is ME... He has a billion little soldiers just no battlefield.

May 26, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ole Grandad

What just giving me a bj then....

May 26, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  60. mike-kenosha

@Name*angie
    Really? You may need to spend some time paying attention in school. If you need to go back to school please do so. Until then don't post any of your thoughts for others to read. Its really just embarrassing to me and I didn't post the comments.

May 26, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*angie

You telling me I need to go back to school who you think you are...maybe you do,, what did I say to you that embarrassed you?

May 26, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  61. KAS

I got pregnant at 17, BEFORE the Teen Mom show. Some girls might get pregnant for the fame, but come on! This is purely a governmental issue. The government needs to stop handing out free medical, food stamps, tanf, etc...maybe then the pregnancy rates will drop. Chelsea Handler-I'd rather have a baby at 17 any day & be on Teen Mom, than to kill one. ;)

May 26, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  62. idiots

I really wish all you illiterate morons would stop using the word ignorant. You are in fact ignorant to what ignorant stands for. You don't use the word ignorant everytime someone makes a mistake or doesn't share your views on something. Morons. You can't be ignorant for having a certain view or take on somethingq

May 26, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Original "JJ"

Actually you can be "ignorant" if you have a certain view. An uninformed view can be quite "Ignorant". Calling people Idiots on the other hand is not accurate either since you don't know the IQ of anyone here. Just saying.

May 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  63. mike-kenosha

I read this article just to find out what she had to say. I agree that there are just some topics that should not be created into tv shows. As I was reading comments posted for this article I saw some one said I one episode the girls parents kicked here out and if her boy friends parents did help there would be know one to help raise the baby. Well who cares! She got here self into the situation not her parents. It should be on her and her boy friends shoulders not the parents. As for the show. Anyone who sits at home or DVR's this show may have or most likely has issues of there own. MTV should provide the girls with the money for abortions. At least then I wouldn't have to end up paying for that girls inability to keep her legs closed and now have government aid.

May 26, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Brian

Chelsea is right. The kid shouldn't have Chelsea Handler as a mom.

May 26, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  65. woodie

Chelsea is the perfect hippocrite, being 16 and pregnant herself, then bashing the show that exposes her own gaffs in life. It's hard to see yourself, but it's harder to see you haven't learned anything.

May 26, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Gwen

I'm sorry, she's right... Those two shows could do so much more than they do, but the reality of it is at the very least they give a totally inaccurate portrayal of being pregnant or a mother as a teenager. Before the chimes of "you obviously haven't seen the show" kick in, I will say that I've seen every episode of both shows since the beginning.

"16 and Pregnant" shows some of the struggles in being pregnant that teenagers may face, parents kicking them out, hard times at school, boyfriend drama, but lets be honest, they also show the baby showers, the attention they get from others, shows the girls going shopping and putting together baby rooms... And it shows little-to-nothing about what a pregnancy does to you physically or mentally. Sure, it may be a footnote in a narrative, but it's not the focus of the show like the personal drama is. And let me tell you what a teenager thinks "Oh, my boyfriend would NEVER leave me if I got pregnant, we're soooooo in love. We don't need any help and I don't care what anybody thinks, he loves me soooooo much." So in that sense, yes, "16 and Pregnant" does glorify pregnancy in that these girls will only see the good and fun, and think that the bad will never, ever happen to them. Whereas if they showed the actual physical and mental demands of the pregnancy, things they CAN'T avoid, perhaps it'd make more of a difference.

When the baby is born, they show that in varying degrees (from there in the room to just a casual mention it happened) and what it's like to be a parent for a few weeks after the birth, when (honestly) caring for the baby is still fun, new, and easy. There is no conclusion, no real mentioning of how truly, truly hard it is to be a parent. I was pregnant and alone at 29, I had a baby I took care of on my own and let me tell you, this show doesn't even scratch the surface of how hard it is. Having BTDT, the real work sets in when the baby is a few months old, not sleeping an eating and sleeping and eating and pooping and sleeping and eating, and it gets harder as the baby gets older. That show shows none of it.

I had hoped "Teen Mom" would have picked up where the other show left off, but honestly, it's a soap opera where the common thread is that they're parents. However, being a parent takes a minor role to the personal drama the teens experience. The boyfriend issues (again, that every girl thinks she's immune from), the parent problems (they don't need them anyway), the friend drama (their friends are true BFFs! They'll be around through everything)... There are times where you go entire episodes without seeing the children of these parents. There is little-to-nothing about being a parent.

I will give this show the credit where it's due... They are the first show I can think of that shows what it's like to give a child up for adoption. It shows it's not the simple band-aid for an issue, that the choice behind it is complex and there are lasting feelings and emotions that need to be dealt with for doing it. And it does show girls that work hard to make something of themselves, like Maci. But for every one Maci, there's 5 Ambers. I wish they did these shows like they do "True Life." That would be far more affective and remove all the glitz and show what it's really like for longer than a few weeks.

May 26, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  67. jdainotto

Sick. R u guys failing to see that these kids are NOT parent correctly and often end up causing troubles in our schools and using drugs (which can happen anywhere!!!) But seriously uneducated mothers have seriously misbehave children.. Don't believe me?? Take a look at my sisters kid.. She was 18 when she had her daughter. She let's her daughter get spoiled and now her daughter is a brat. Gets into everything, physically abuse towards other children, does not have a set schedule , and is serious the child I don't wanna be around.

May 26, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  68. Debrap424

"is it okay to drink if i plan on giving the baby up for adoption?"

May 26, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  69. Eric

One of my friends (20s, good job, not pregnant) watches those shows because, she says "they validate every life choice I have ever made."

Sadly, I don't think any of these teen mothers understand that their role in life is most likely to be a cautionary tale to others.

May 26, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  70. Debrap424

there was a report that came out this week that said teen pregnancy is down. and as an AVID watcher of both shows, they say soo often how much hard work it is, and they don't encourage it at all. if a girl is stupid enough to get pregnant to be on the show, she was stupid enough to get pregnant either way.

May 26, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  71. klc

"....I mean, that makes me want to kill somebody.” Chelsea you already killed somebody.. your baby. You are just upset because these girls aren't making the same choice you did. Whatever their motivations are, at least the baby is getting a chance at life. It is supreme selfishness and arrogance to presume that getting rid of the kid "'is for its own good". Google Margaret Sanger (founder of Planned Parenthood). She said basically the same thing. And so you would have a 20 year old kid now Chelsea if you hadn't had an abortion... why is that bad? You are afraid to admit you might have missed out on something good so you try to assume it would have been a bad thing. You have been brainwashed by a culture overly influenced by humanism and women's lib movement. Basic ideas: Self is God, men are unnecessary idiots, children are inconvenient (and not 'real' humans) unless they are 'wanted'.

May 26, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  72. jdainotto

Are u guys kidding me? I hate the show 16 and pregnant! Do u guys forget that one of the girls friends got pregnant? Are you forgetting the MTV doesn't show the perks that these girls get for appearing on the show? You honestly think they paid for their own wedding? How the talk in the schools that let's get pregnant and we can go on MTV? R u guys forgetting this?? I believe in abortion... Wanna know why? My tax dollars are paying for the girls to get pregnant.. Screwed up mothers living on a welfare system. I have 3 children and even though birth control was no a option for me (I got pregnant on it!) I have had several abortions and do NOT regret any decision. This country throws more free money at you when u have kids.. Ohhh let's get wic!!! OOOHHH let's get more food stamps, our rent paid, heap to pay for our gas and electric! Where is the responsibilities? It. Pays to be lazy in this country! And it pays to be stupid!

May 26, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  73. slewatha

She is 36? I thought she was 46 by the looks of her, wow!

May 26, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  74. jesse

Someone please tell me the point to any of these shows? On the bachelor and bachelorette, all they do is drink, drink and drink some more while spending time in million dollar homes with million dollar lifestyles, all for what? A fake non-reality relationship, it's all a fantasy hence why none of them can stay married more than 30 minutes after the show ends. Same for all other shows including teen mom. These shows are garbage for the unimaginative, and ignorant.

May 26, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  75. True

here's the things about pro life/pro choice- the moment a couple or individual who is wanting to have a child, learn they are pregnant, via home pregnancy test or whatever, is when they consider they are going to have a baby, and thus a life...pro choice wants to split hairs on when life begin... be real is all, and do pro lifers even know why they believe what they do....

May 26, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  76. Sarah

When you have nothing and no future, getting pregnant to get paid $200k/year and be in every tabloid mag sounds pretty appealing. Women almost all suffer from self esteem issues, so getting on this show looks pretty appetizing. Think a teen understands that their odds of making it big on this show are bad? If so, then you're the fool.

May 26, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  77. Saywhat

The 36-year-old comedian reveals that she had an abortion at 16.“Because that’s what I should have done. Otherwise I would now have a 20-year-old kid,” she tells the NYTimes.
    ----------------------------
    Can you imagine if she had that child? That child could have been someone she can be proud off or someone very famous today. Sounds to me she has teen mom envy or guilt because those girls opt to face the responsibility of the consequence of their libido, than kill their unborn child. I'm a liberal and I support woman choice on their bodies. What I don't condone are hypocrites like Chelsea criticizing this young girls decision regarding their choice regarding their body because they differ from her own. abortion by choice is not something anyone in their right minds could be proud off too

May 26, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Pumbaa

The baby could have grown up to be the next Charles Manson The TV show should be named, "16 & Pregnant & Stupid".

May 26, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  78. urinal Mintz

When will we legalize Retro-abortions.

May 26, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Pumbaa

Texas does it all the time. Killing people "safely" locked up in prison with lethal chemicals.

May 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  79. umyeah

Shup-up prolifer You can make the choice for your own body – but no one else's. Thank g-d!

May 26, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  80. JJ

Ok, point taken, but MTV is the problem, not the kids. That was what I meant. Oh, and I also take offense to the fact that my comment was posted under someone else's credo's and some idiot's was posted under mine... I'm JJ, not Casey Anthony dead baby...
    Either way, MTV and all the other "music" stations should actually play music, not this crap... They're only contributing to rotting America's youth from the inside out. And yes, there is a difference, because these girls are making money, but are acting like they aren't! BS all day!!! What 16 year old girl makes $60,000 a year, pregnant or not? Get real and stop preaching that this is a good thing!!!

May 26, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  81. Native on a Reservation

Maybe if there had been shows on the air like teen mom and 16 & pregnant you wouldn't have gotten pregnant st 16 and have had to had that abortion in the first place.

May 26, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  82. Tom

I'm glad that this angry hack has the freedom to express her opinion, but I really could care less.

May 26, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  83. ImALisa

I have no objections to this show. It finally shows that white girls get themselves in trouble (pregnant/mothers at a young age) just as much as black and latina girls. In my area, DC, we dont see much young white mothers- we have much more latina young mom's , then comes black girls- id say its 65% latinas to 35% blacks.

May 26, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  84. pro life

Handler didn't quite finish her statement, ... I would now have a 20 year old kid" instead I took a life 20 years ago, isn't that better than having a 20 year old kid. I wonder if her mother regreted not aborting her and getting stuck with a 20 year old kid 16 years ago.

May 26, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Woman Admirer

I really admire women. I mean when it comes to washing the potatos, raising the babys and cooking the food, women have it all over men. But other than that they are all oatmeal north of the eyebrows.

May 26, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  85. Posh

Is it still abortion if you kill your baby AFTER its come out? 0.o

May 26, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  86. 31 and pregnant

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OhwFfsOT88&w=640&h=390]

May 26, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  87. Papo

Someone shut this nasty coalburner up.

May 26, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  88. Poopernickel

What about all those pigmys between the pages of National Geographic.

May 26, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  89. Paul Anka

Having my abortion
    What a lovely way of saying how much ya love me.

May 26, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  90. Nancy Grace Duushbag

Im gonna see to it that ALL you are wrongly convicted and spend the maximum time munching my carpet.

May 26, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  91. Casy Anthony dead baby

Mommy is innocent.

May 26, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  92. JJ

Roe, you're an idiot, and so is anyone who thinks this type of show is good for anything. Yes, they make it seem difficult for the "child" having a child, but neglect to tell the viewer that every so-called "mother" on the show is making approximately $60,000 per season and is being coached on what to say and do to make the show a "show"... Come on, America, wake up and GROW up. Make your kids watch The History Channel, Discovery, National Geographic, etc., if they HAVE to be watching television. My 5 year old daughter loves it!!! I just hope she doesn't wind up on "16 and Pregnant"! LOL

May 26, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • nish-nish

And what benefit to the teens watching the show would letting them know how much each person is being paid be? It is only because news outlets searched court papers and screamed it to the world that it is even known in the first place.

May 26, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • The Original "JJ"

It's true there might be some coaching but there is simply lots of editing that creates these reality shows. uncomfortable pauses, statements rearranged. All this to construct drama. No different than any other reality show really.

May 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  93. rubberman

I'd like to knock up, Chelsea

May 26, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • BeKind

Rubberman, believe it or not–maybe Chelsea would NOT even want you.

May 26, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  94. eddie

The problem is that women are basically stupid.

May 26, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • BeKind

Eddie-Boy, Some women make very poor choices, and they pay the price for it. Hopefully, YOU are NOT one of the millions of worthless "sperminators" out there who only seek to gratify themselves. Remember–Don't be silly–Wrap your Willy.

May 26, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Baker1

Stupid? Really? I bet most are smart enough to stay away from you.

May 26, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Name*angie

So if women are stupid what does that make men? I guess you don't know how babies are made!! FYI it takes 2 sweetie, a man and a women, do your research if u don't know.......n u say women are stupid u need to check ur self.

May 26, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • eddie

What lousy STUPID comebacks...Women are basically STUPID...WE HAVE CONFIRMATION.

May 26, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Name*angie

So if we r than your mom must be...for having you....n if you ever have a daughter ur basically calling her stupid to....u need to think before you speak...its obvious that your an immature little boy who need help...cause I know one thing I'm not stupid,,u probably live with ur parents n a broke no life having dude on some real...or maybe u just don't get no play from real grown woman...I feel bad for u......um on second thought not really.

May 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • dtcpr

@Name*Angie- If you are going to argue that women are not stupid you might want to try using the English language. I'm a woman and I do not in any way see you as a good representative of our intelligence. Also, feeding the fire that is Eddie's moronic and childish "women are stupid" is evidence of your lack of intelligence. Go read a book, one without pictures.

May 27, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Name*angie

@ dtcpr....I could really care less what u have to say sweetie..ima a grown a*s woman I own a house and a car I got money in the bank...so if any dude wanna say that women are stupid I will be the one to put them in their place..like u.....why don't u go read a book..u dumb a*s and if u don't like what I say or you can't read english than that's your personal problem not mine...hahaha

May 27, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  95. HouMom

isn't it Handler's job to mindlessly entertain?

May 26, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  96. amystery

i'd feel better about Chelsea if she were doing something to prevent/discourage teen pregnancy instead of just saying they are stupid. Obviously it happened to her in a time when abortion is legal. Oprah also said that had her baby not died shortly after birth, she wouldn't be where she is today. Chelsea's made her money talking about her promiscuity and drinking/drugs issues, so how does that help the situation of teens wanting to follow in her footsteps? I also don't like how she talks about asians/blacks. Yes, I know she's a comedienne and half is off-the-cuff, but don't make teen mothers the problems. I was a teen mom and took decades to educate myself and my kids. It isn't easy and I think 16 and Pregnant gives an accurate picture of what it's like. Going against stereotype, my girls didn't get pregnant early, because I provided birth control and made sure they used it. Where there's a boy, there is a probability of pregnancy.

May 26, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Schloggin down on Goobers

Lipstick Lezbeans is the answer.

May 26, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • jessica

abortion is still legal, hon.

May 26, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • amystery

that is one of my points–when I had my child, abortion was illegal, so there were 2 choices, not 3. I believe abortion should be legal and hope it remains so, but no choice is easy. I feel that Chelsea saying, "that is what I should do," is too simplistic.

May 26, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  97. battergrl

Hopefully anyone in this situation has family support. One of the most difficult to experience w/o it. Sometimes abortion isn't always the answer, been there/done that.

May 26, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  98. widow

Yes the show touches alot of things but its not like older women cant feel the same as these girls if any thing it shows how the parents them selfs have no control over there children. if mom and dad had them on trips and doing things in there life there would be no teens haveing babys. its really sad to say but start being with your kids more and stop passing them off to the nanny or a sitter and there would be no problums

May 26, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  99. Dsn63

I have an idea for a new show it's called "Everyone stays in school and graduates,goes to college,gets a job and has a family" I know it'll be a hit because it's never been done before!

May 26, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  100. Jessie

I was practicing birth control when I got pregnant; it was an IUD back in the 80's. It would have been a dangerous pregnancy and on the advice of two doctors I had an abortion. I was married at the time, we hadn't planned for children yet and we ended up later having a wonderful son. I did not regret my decision as it was the right thing to do. I was not willing to bring a kid into the world with an IUD device implanted in the brain or anywhere else. Those who judge these personal decisions should mind their own business. Abortion is about choice; it's not always an easy one, but often the right one. I'm for whatever helps woman make the best decision for themselves; it's personal; no one else's business.

May 26, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • James

Jessie. You're right it is personal in the regards of what a person does to themselves if it's for themselves. But when you throw your story out there, you open yourself to people's opinions. It no longer becomes personal; that's all due to you. You know how people are, so it's senseless to counter it.

May 26, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  101. BH

I tried watching this show once, but hated it as much as any other reality show. But there was a study released recently that showed a correlation between watching 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom and a drop in teen pregnancy rates. The rate of teen pregnancy was lower among teen viewers of those shows. Why? Because they do show that being a teen parent is difficult and leaves you very little opportunities economically and for a normal teenage social life. So I may hate it, and Chelsea may hate it, but it has its place.

May 26, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • elm

BH...you just confirmed the following..."There is a sucker born every minute."

I bet you believe in Al Goron and his global warming non-sense.

May 26, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • jennifer

BH- Have not seen that study, but would love too. I have watched the shows only once or twice (hated them), but wondered whether kids would get it (i.e., teen pregnancy is hard, and be deterred) or (let's face it, the crowd of kids that tends to emulate other kids are probably dim wits) and would probably think "my boyfriend would be different, let's have a baby."

May 26, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • m

Where did you read that? On the show's website? The opposite is true...do a little objective searching of your own. You CAN read, right?

May 26, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • wondering

@m, since you're so quick to call someone illiterate, where do you read that the opposite was true? You show your own ignorance by being nasty to someone sharing their thoughts and opinions.

May 26, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  102. Denise

Idiots breed more idiots. Ever see "Idiocracy"?

May 26, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  103. Slashorn

No, Chelsea, you SHOULD have been practicing birth control. Although I am completely pro-choice and also a realist that scientific causality establishes life begins at conception. It is people who use abortion as birth control that provide the ammunition for the anti-choice facists to demonstrate the callousness and utter disregard for anyone other than themsleves of those use use abortion as birth control rather than, um, I don't know...birth control.

May 26, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Roe

Are you sure you're pro-choice? I have no idea what "a realist that scientific causality establishes life begins at conception" means...

May 26, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Beth

I'm sorry – where does it say she DIDN'T use birth control or a condom?

May 26, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Sebastian

Condoms do break you know and you know very few guys will even admit to it when it happens. Stop being ignorant to the fact that Chelsea is keeping it real. There is nothing in the show that would keep a 16 away from having a kid. Most teens that watch the show have a good laugh at it and say: oh, that would never happens to me.

May 26, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin Boxer

Slashorn said, "Although I am completely pro-choice and also a realist that scientific causality establishes life begins at conception." That is the most morally indefensible position I've ever heard on abortion. You believe life begins at conception but also believe that life can be extinguished at the discretion of a different person? Are there any other categories of human life that you believe can be extinguished at the discretion of third parties? Do you believe human life inside a womb has any rights human life outside a womb is bound to respect? How very Justice Taney of you.

May 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • dtcpr

Wow... why don't you turn that judgement off for a second there. You were not there when she got pregnant, you don't know that she didn't use contraception. Condoms break. I actually know 2 people that have gotten pregnant using contraception, and they are adults. It can happen to anyone..... usually pro-choice people aren't so intolerable

May 27, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  104. BioHzrd

The show may not glorify teen pregnancy, but those magazines by the cashier in the grocery store tell a different story. They would have you find out who's boyfriend's a deadbeat, who's a winner, and which girl got a new tattoo. Yeah, they take it real seriously.

May 26, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  105. nish-nish

@DayYell, they are not. You've obviously never seen the show as Angelina has stated. It's the same as saying The Biggest Loser promotes obesity because at the end the winner gets $100,000. Or that Celebrity Rehab promotes drug use. 750,000 teens between the are of 15 and 19 get pregnant in the US each year. Teen Mom/16 and Pregnant follows about 6 of them per season. If a teenager is trying to get pregnant to be on one of these shows, they obviously have bigger issues that need to be addressed.

May 26, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Sebastian

They get $100,000 for losing weight and being the "biggest loser." Totally different than getting money for being pregnant at 16. We all know that most woman at 16 DO NOT have a good support system nor do they fully or even minimally understand what it takes to raise a child or what they need to give up and sacrifice.

May 26, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • nish-nish

That would lead to the conclusion that their lack of support and immaturity is the reason behind their pregnancy, NOT MTV. And my point was the logic behind a teenager getting pregnant for the 6 in 750,000 chance of being on the show and getting whatever compensation that entails is the same as some becoming obese for the chance being on the Biggest Loser, losing the weight and winning $100,000. If you've ever watched the show, you would see that it shows nothing but the sacrifices that each of these teenagers have to make after getting pregnant. It in no way makes it seem glamorous or fun. What the magazines decide to do with the girls afterward is another issue.

May 26, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

@nish-nish: Big difference in those other shows: Those people aren't adolescents thriving on drama and they actually want to improve their lives, not selfishly live out a fantasy when they are still babies themselves.

May 26, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • nish-nish

Yet again, lack of support and immaturity at fault, not the show. When you can discredit what I've said, please let me know.

May 26, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • EG

Nish-Nish, you are a complete fool. There is absolutely nothing similar about people asking for help to improve their lives (and being rewarded for being successful) and girls going on TV in the hopes of getting the opportunities they have seen presented to previous seasons' girls (modeling, spin-off shows, etc.).

May 26, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • nish-nish

@EG, the only fool here is you. The point of the show is not to earn an opportunity to get a spin off. The point is to tell their stories and struggles since becoming pregnant as teenagers. If these girls think that by being on the show they've paved their way to fame and riches then that points to their IMMATURITY AND LACK OF SUPPORT! I know it's easy to bash someone's intelligence behind the anonymous veil of your computer screen, but let's try to be respectful.

May 26, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

Ok great the show has all the trouble the drama. What about the tabloids showing those same girls at parties and making money. There is alot more that happens that MTV does not show but Us weekly and tmz do. Those other shows have adults. But nish-nish feel free to gain 100 pounds I'm sure you will be the one to win 250,000.

May 26, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • EG

Nish-Nish- what must it be like to be all-knowing, I wonder? Man it must be cool to be the only person with an "accurate" perspective. I hope someday I can be just.like.you..... Ever consider how much MONEY everyone involved is making? NOTHING on t.v. is pure and good. It's all about money, and always will be. Again, don't be a fool.

May 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  106. 16 and pregnant mom to be

SHEDDUP...Y'ALL dont know me!! *SNAP*

May 26, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  107. 16 and pregnant mom to be

Im poo pooing.

May 26, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  108. twisted

The puts a few hundred thousand in the pocket of the lucky knocked up teen but it doesnt glorify teen pregnancy if you say so.

May 26, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  109. @Angelina

We have and "16 and pregant" shows that life will be so simple with the help of loved ones that doesnt happen for alot of teen moms.

May 26, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Angelina

Yeah, then you definitely haven't seen the show. At least half of these girls have very little support system. The girl from Tuesday's episode has a mother who literally abandoned her and if it weren't for her boyfriend, she'd have nobody to help her with the baby.

May 26, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • wendy

@ Angelina.

Angelina you are clearly a bubbleHead.

May 26, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • WLM

@angelina.. 16 and Pregnant shows that you can get prego, get on MTV and hopefully get a spin off show where you can hang out and get paid. This show glorifies teenage pregnancy.. its disgusting and should not be on TV...Look at a few of the Teen Mom Show, a bunch of their friends got pregnant hoping to get on the show!

May 26, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • chris

Well said Angelina! These pple obviously don't watch the show or know that pregnancy has gone down since the show and most girls interviewed after watching the show now reconsider childbirth... can't argue with facts.

May 26, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • EricLr

Yes, the show is very simplistic. Almost all the footage shown is of the girls lounging around with friends talking vacuously about their relationships with their boyfriends. You might get one or two brief scenes of them feeding the baby or changing a diaper. The true hard work of a kid is completely distorted. The show presents babies as nothing more than a mild catalysts for silly teen drama.

May 26, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  110. DanYell

I feel ya Chelsea. Angelina, they are pretty much promoting teen pregnancy. The show is such a joke.

May 26, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • ashley

How are they promoting teen pregnacy when the show clearly shows you how hard it is being a teen mom wiith.No job and barely the childs father? Please answer that

May 26, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

@Ashley - simple: They are getting their 15 minutes of fame. It doesn't matter how bad the show makes teen pregnancy look. Teenagers thrive on drama and the show has it in spades. Plus the kids get "famous?" That show was the worst sociological idea ever.

May 26, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • EricLr

Mary is right. When a girl (particularly a ditzy and narcissistic one) sees that show, she isn't thinking "Wow, sucks to be a teen mom." She's thinking "Wow, wish *I* could be on MTV."

May 26, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  111. wendy

Angelina you are clearly a bubbleHead.

May 26, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Name*angie

Wow your calling people bubbleheads because there saying how they feel about this topic and yet you haven't said anything about how u feel, so instead or calling people names be a real grown woman and tell us how you feel bout this. So we can call u a bubblehead!!

May 26, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • wendy

Wipe me.

May 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*angie

Wow that's all you have to say! I feel sorry for you

May 26, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Angelina

Clearly Chelsea (and anyone else who thinks 16 and Pregnant glorifies teen pregnancy) has not seen the show. It very obviously shows you that being a teenage parent sucks and gives you very few opportunities in life.

May 26, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • porker

i completely agree, any person my age who would want a baby after seeing that show would have to be brain dead... and i know lots of brain dead teenagers who watch it and even they take away the message that having a baby so young is a bad idea

May 26, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • byron

It also shows that by getting pregnant at a young age you can get on MTV. Sounds intriguing to quite a few young girls looking to make it big.

May 26, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Yes, girls with mature & critical thinking skills would be able to understand 16 & pregs = bad. Honestly, how many of the viewers fit that description? A lot of people are stupid @ 16 with bad judgement, remember? The show is fun & unhealthy for the young.

May 26, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • chris

Yes, But teens only see the "I'm on MTV." Most teens watching do not see the consequences and only see the reward of being placed on t.v. and being famous. They lack the insight of what the show is trying to show.

May 26, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Tiff

Yeah, but it does give you the opportunity to have your very own TV show. That's not motivating for other girls to get knocked up...

May 26, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • EG

No opportunities? So appearing on national TV, getting modeling contracts, getting endorsements, and getting PAID are not "opportunities"? Explain that to me. Any time you are put on national television – for whatever reason – what you are doing is being glorified (to some extent) and exploited. Especially when the offers come rolling in afterwards.

May 26, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Uzalex

and get paid in the process?

May 26, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Are you serious? Those girls are making like $300,000... just because they got knocked up. You think that sends a NEGATIVE message about teen pregnancy? Get real.

May 26, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • noteenpregnancy

If I ever became pregnant at age 16, my parents would have kicked my ass out and provided no financial support. From what I see from the show, their parents help them out and provide a roof over their heads. I totally agree with Chelsea, this show makes me sick.

May 26, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • jessica

The point is they get a lot of money to do that show. more than they would make as a 5th year associate sans the student loans. It's quite a reward.

May 26, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonvader31

I think you're missing the point, anytime a show is dedicated to something like 16 and pregnant, some young people will think its a way to get on TV, there are plenty of kids out there who think that it would be cool to have a baby, although this program does show the struggles it still glorifies it.

May 26, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

They don't care, these girls think they can become famous if they get pregnant because they will be on MTV, and they are paid for doing the show!

May 26, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny

If a teenager just sees the TV part, then that teenager has a lot of other issues. I have a 13 year old and she has seen that show. We focus on the NEGATIVE consequences of being pregnant at such a young age. The Negative far outweigh the positives.

May 26, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

Ok, so if the show discourages having a child at such a young age, does it also encourage abstinence, or murdering unborn children?

May 26, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • momma@16

I was pregnant with my first child at 16 and life was rough, I grew up pretty quick. In '98 there was no one offering me a tv show and a ton of money to participate....Daddy stayed around for a bit. I was working part time while finishing highschool and raising a baby. Not easy but I managed to graduate H.S and 13 yrs later I'm finally able to continue my education in college....KIDS IT ISN'T EASY, THINK TWICE!

May 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • EricLr

No, what it shows is that getting knocked up in high school is the only way a talentless piece of white trash can get on MTV and have 15 seconds of fame. If they really wanted to discourage these girls, they would do a quick profile the tens of thousands of girls who got knocked up and DIDN'T make the show.

May 26, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • devereaux

and exactly who cares what Chelsea Handler thinks?

May 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

Yes Angelina.....they certainly look like life is sucking with very few opportunities ahead of them...as they are all smiles on the cover of every magazine in the food store and knocking back a six figure salary courtesy of MTV. Yup, life is really sucking for these girls!!! Get real.

May 26, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'll Take 60K

It's reported that those teenage moms make $60,000! For what????? Getting pregnant!!!! Way to reward bad behavior MTV! Alot of people do not make $60,000 a year. I've got a teaching degree, and I'm not making that kind of money! No wonder this world is as messed up as it is.

May 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Recognize

Are you kidding me! I se those teen moms on the cover of countless magazines everyweek. Those teen parents are now pseudo celebreties like every other reality star, so although the idea behind the show is to warn kids about teen pregnency, they actually do more of a dis service by glorifing these teen parents by giving them their own reality show. If they want to warn kids about teen pregnency, those kids shouldn't be paid by MTV

May 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

I agree that it is a very important show for tennagers to watch. I'm a gma and I am really sad when I watch these teenage girls struggling.

May 26, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Clearly, you do not knowthat the teens are paid nearly $200,000 (split into two payments over the course of a year) each to allow the network to film their "hard" lives. Teen girls are literally trying to get knocked up in the hopes that they will be featured on an upcoming episode. The network serves to glorify teen pregnancy and the girls ARE technically being paid to be/get pregnant. It's a sad and pathetic attempt at entertainment and one of the reasons I no longer watch this particular network...or any TV for that matter. It's nothing but reality garbage..

May 26, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • cclowery

I agree with you on this one. I'm wondering why Chelsea thinks have a 20 year old would be so horrible? I was 19 when I had my son and today he's a honest hard working citizen and Marine and I'm blessed every day! I don't get it.

May 26, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • gene

It may not glorify being a teenage mother, but it is certainly sending the message that you can get featured in a TV show if you are one... I think that's what is damaging.

May 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Z

@ Angelina... Clearly you have a distorted interpretation of the impact of such progams. How many ignorant teenage girls believe they too can get a show on MTV if they become pregnant?? Many of the teens on this program get pregnant and chose to have the child in an effort to get attention. Little do they realize the lifelong impact of their decision. Chelsea Handler is correct... Just more mindless entertainment from a bankrupt culture. Hooray for 16 & STUPID / TEEN IDIOT!!!

May 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Various Authors

Even if the show portrays teen pregnancy as wrong, the kids will read about these teen moms getting paid $280 G's a year for appearing on the show, they see them on all these "celebrity" websites. I don't watch those shows, I have no interest in them and yet even I seem to stumble across these stories glamorizing these kids, especially the London tabloids.

May 26, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brendan

Imagine, if she'd had a kid, she couldn't have been the mistress of the president at E! and gotten her own show. That said, don't let anyone ever tell you your the poor man's Sybil Shepard, babe – you're the older, waspier man's Sarah Silverman. Well done.

May 27, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
    • B

You guys do realize that MTv screens all contestants to see if their pregnancy was planned or not...right? Why would they want anyone thats going to enjoy their pregnancy? They want to show hardships...and make money off of it. THATS what you guys should be mad about. But instead you think girls are going to run out and get prego for a VERY VERY slim chance at getting on a show? GET REAL!

May 27, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • citizenUSA

It also shows 16 year old girls, who were stupid enough to get pregnant, that it might get you a reality TV show.

May 27, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • kelly

16 & Pregnant – doesn't show how truly difficult it is. These girls have parents that help them and are paid by the show so they don't have to have a job to support themselves.
      Ex. that first season with the girl with baby Sophia left the child at home to go out on dates. That is not realistic and certainly isn't convincing girls to protect themselves. The show has doesn't show how tiring it is to watch up and feed a baby every 2 hours

Chelsea is very rude and hard about things, but the reason she is so "funny" is because she basically says what we are thinking but are too PC to admit it.

May 27, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  113. The Mad R@p3r

Or going in through the out-door.

May 26, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |