Cheryl Cole dropped from 'X Factor' already?
May 26th, 2011

Cheryl Cole dropped from 'X Factor' already?

Just as she was about to make it big in America, Brit beauty Cheryl Cole has been dropped from "The X Factor."

The former Girls Aloud singer, who appeared as a judge on the U.K. edition of the singing competition, officially signed on to the Fox series in early May, joining Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and music producer L.A. Reid on the panel.

Now, TMZ reports that the show's creators have changed their tune and ousted Cole.

A source close to the production tells TMZ she was let go because her British accent was too thick for American audiences. Making matters worse: She reportedly didn't get along with Abdul. Fox has yet to respond to CNN's request for comment.

It doesn't look like Cole's chair will remain empty for long, however. TMZ claims Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger, who was originally hired to co-host the show with Brit personality Steve Jones, has now taken over her spot.

"The X Factor" premieres on Fox in September; auditions are already underway.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music • Paula Abdul • Simon Cowell • television • X Factor

1. Eileen

We British are unbeleivable our Chetyl gets the job of a lifetime and gets dropped so what do the fools do next. Replace our Queen of the TV screen with an american on the british x factor.We all love Kelly but where is the loyalty. My advice to Cheeryl is sue FOX and make them pay her.I am sure Judge Judy will be ordering them to compensate Chery.

June 4, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. arn2300

i sooo love you, cheryl tweedy cole! go go go! you are famous, bec i know you though i'm from the philippines... muahhh...

May 29, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. walt kovacs

unless they already showed the rushes to test audiences...how do they know how she wouldve been accepted by american audiences

i personally dont like tweedy, but never had a prob with her accent

i smell a setup, as she has already been offered 2 mil to return to the uk show

May 28, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JC

Hell has no fury like a woman scorned, Simon!

May 28, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Graham

I understand her perfectly she is stunning and its sad dumb american tv bosses cant understand english. they knew how she spoke PRIOR to hiring her! She is better of without you lot over there.

May 27, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bb

I am English and to be honest I have to concentrate to understand her. Whilst it is a British accent it is a very strong regional accent from a place in the north of England, Newcastle. I think there is more to it than meets the eye. I am sure she could have toned the accent down a little.

May 27, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Istrt

Actually the Americans not understanding the British Accent makes a lot of sense. My wife is British and most people here in US ask her 2 or 3 times what she said. She had to let go of her accent to her best capabilities and obviously not happy about it, Ha.

May 27, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mgt

I agree with you Rebecca, she was convicted of assaulting a low paid toilet attendant in a niteclub where she was throwing her weight around. There was an allegation that she used a derogatory racial term. Just because she is beautiful on the outside doesn't mean she is on the inside. She can't sing. The only reason she was brought to America is because Simon had a thing for her. She wasn't very good on Xfactor UK. She was given very easy categories and she completely blew it last year when she left out a gifted singer in favour of two complete talentless wannabees.

May 27, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sara

Of course she' s been sacked, in America if you don t have plastic surgery, fitness skinny body and don t talk like the rest no one even considers you!!!

Good for you Cheryl!!!! Come back to Europe were people are unique!

P.S. You have to be a moron to don t understand Cheryl s accent! I just learned English 3 years ago and I could understand Cheryl as good as any other English speaking person! Can t believe English American speakers don t! My first language is spanish from Spain and can t imagine not understanding people from South America!! Unbelievable!

May 27, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. kasey

Hey, Rebecca, how is an assault racially-aggravated? Do you mean racially motivated?

But, seriously, they give us American audiences too little credit. I'm sure we could understand her with no problem. It's more likely she and Abdul can't get along.

May 27, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  11. jaintn

Thank God they're getting this straightened out. I don't know what I'd do if something kept yet another talent/reality show off the air! I'm so glad the networks are generating more and more brainless TV shows. They get it. They understand that most Americans don't have any interest in quality, thought provoking, dramas or comedies.

May 27, 2011 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Rebecca

What I don't understand is how she was allowed to work there in the first place after being convicted of a serious, racially-aggravated assault?

May 27, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. Come on

they would have to give an invite to Nadine & since the Invites to her have been non-non-existent for a while now, I dont see that happening anytime soon.

May 27, 2011 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. Vince

Well maybe now she can go back and since with Girls Aloud. They were an awesome group and they need t get back together and make music again. Especially since all their solo careers (except Cheryl's) essentially bombed.

May 27, 2011 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sunshine Girl *

Funny. Paulas in. Cheryls out.Nothing to do w/accents. Everything to do w/egos. Sad. Cant atand Paula. She always acts so full of herself and like shes gotta be #1 all the time. If it hadnt have been for American Idol she wouldve faded off into the sunset by now. You know they say its not who you know but who you blow. Yeah Paula..keep on blowin.

May 27, 2011 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  16. Me@work

I would think that not "getting along" with Paula Abdul would make for a better show...

May 27, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  17. alberto

I am amazed by this... i am from Chile and understand her perfectly... english being my second language! I have been watching the uk xfactor for a couple of season and this is just ridiculous! Im am very disappointed at this move by fox or cowell whoever it may be...Lost a fan x factor!

May 26, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Peace

@Marie, Well said!

May 26, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  19. pippin

Shame shame shame! She's funny, beautiful and the only reason why X factor in the UK was so popular. Also, she is the ost successful out of all of the judges for picking winners. i will NOT be watching this show now, Fox are cruel and insensitive B*****ds.

May 26, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jeannie

What I basically hear about this girl is "She's gorgeous! She's worked so hard! She's one of the UK's biggest stars!" She's not the first of those, she won't be the last. Jennifer Lopez is more exciting & speaks more to American culture. Some things just aren't meant to be ...

May 26, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • lynda

Im from the U.K BELIEVE ME Cheryl Cole is NOT one of our biggest stars ! She cant sing and only looks gorgeous cos she had her teeth done loads of hair extensions etc etc. unlike Nicole and Paula, she has no class. Im glad she was axed from US X Factor ( please dont send her back)

May 27, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Marie

If the requirement is that the judge needs to get along with Paula... it may take awhile to find that right person. Between her and Simon, there ain't much room left for more ego in this group.

May 26, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  22. larry

Millions of people out of work in America and you have to go to England to get a judge?

May 26, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Bob

I'd hit it.

As for the accent, eh.. guess it's not for everyone. Personally I dig the Brit accent. It has an air of authority to it. Plus the slang amuses me. And I'm off to watch some Top Gear (BBC)

May 26, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  24. COZZIE-MOTO

It doesn't matter who or what her status is, ALL brits need to stop pronouncing contestants/peoples names that end with an 'A' as 'ER' example: Andrea as Andre-ER!! Especially the Simons (Cowell & Fuller) does anyone else comport?

May 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

No! You shouldn't try to tell ENGLISH people how to speak ENGLISH, it's slightly ridiculous!

May 26, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Nodack

The official stance is that her accent was too thick. The real reason is her and Paula don't get along.

May 26, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  26. moon

@mimi

It's still the right move for her. She chose to be in the music industry, she knows how toxic it is, she just drew a line as to how much she'd let them invade in her life.

May 26, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. cc

Nicole sux being a judge in one of the US show before, she just does not have enough vocabulary to speak!!!! Replace Cheryl with Nicole is a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG mistake. Try Victoria Beckham, we need some new face on tv for god sake.

May 26, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  28. steve

I thought Kylie Minogue was going to get this gig?

May 26, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Anna

I have watched Cheryl on the UK version and you can understand her just fine. I think she is adorable and was one of the main reasons I planned on watching the show in the fall here in the U.S. I'm truthfully not as excited to watch it now. Shame on you America and Fox, you just lost a great star.

May 26, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  30. DDSilks

Why don't they just get Randy Jackson and make it American Idol 2nd????

May 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Randall

If this is true, then it is ridiculous and an insult to both Cheryl and Americans. I have been watching X-Factor on Youtube for several years now and Cheryl is easy to understand. People in South Shields, England have a thick accent, much like Scottish people do. Joe McElderry, the 2009 winner of Britain's X-Factor, also had a very thick "Geordie" accent. Is accent discrimination now the new thing?

May 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jesse R

The "accent" thing is an excuse. No doubt this has more to do with Paula Abdul. I knew this show would just be another Simon/Paula ego circus. Its begun already and the show isn't even on the air yet. Can't wait for Idol in January. Simon and Paula .... Idol was better without them both this year... WAY BETTER.

May 26, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Cheryl Murkowski

My prolapse itches.

May 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  34. MIMI

@ moon, cheryl is not out of the 'toxic situation' because she is still in the entertainment business where she and other celebs will forever be told who to date, what to wear, how to look etc. do you think that they're in control of their live? that are puppets with their strings being pulled 24/7.

May 26, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Andrew

To john: Randy Jackson was famous in music circles before American Idol. He was a studio musician for several bands and was a music producer

May 26, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  36. babak

As an American, I love Cheryl and girls aloud. And I love her on the uk x factor.

But when I heard she was coming on the us version. I knew it was a horrible idea. NO ONE KNOWS her. simple as that. You can make the argument that no one knew simon; to which I say, simon cowell is a personality that is one in a billion. And no one knows la ried; but that’s kind of ok, since that producer seat is supposed to be someone like that. It just wasn’t going to work for Cheryl. And especially since she is british. I find it odd that we have two brits on the judges panel, and a brit (who is SO hot by the way) hosting the show. Im not all about American pride or anything, but it IS weird.

And in regards to the accent, it IS hard to understand. I lived in London for 6 months, I watch x factor uk all the time, im a pretty cultured person, but even sometimes it was a little hard for me to get what she was saying. And when the majority of people who are going to watch this show are hicks in the south, its going to turn them off.

As evidence, I was at the first LA taping, and the audience went crazy on Cheryl (kind of funny but I felt so bad for her). they were yelling “we cant understand you!!!!”

May 26, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Name*Dre Johnson

The continued dumbing down of America...

May 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  38. moon

Just a few days ago the story was they wanted Cheryl to dump her "unknown" boyfriend Derek Hough, lose weight and get a stylist. Seems to me that it's a blessing to Ms Cole to be out of a toxic situation. If you have a man love you as you are, nurse you through malaria and more, you're better staying with him

May 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  39. MIMI

@ TM, WHAT great talent are u serious?! You're joking, right? I mean are we using different sensory organs to listen with? People need to stop looking through rose tinted glasses and keep it real. yes she is beautiful but I don't get how you can use 'Cheryl Cole' and 'talent' in the same sentence. The media brainwash people into believing some hype. The chick could not even perform live on a show where she was supposed to be 'judging' LIVE ACTS dammit!

May 26, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  40. TM

Well, that seals it. I will NOT be watching X factor. She was the main draw for me. The producers are idiots for dropping such a great talent as well as such beauty from their show.

May 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • nobuntu

@tm, great talent u must be joking buddy.maybe 2u. Just hope she doenst come back to the UK 1,bcoz ill just turn off my tv or watch something else.she s incredibly annoying.full stop.

May 26, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  41. MIMI

Cheryl Cole is super UNtalented! She cannot sing or dance & she is only beautiful/attractive from the neck up (someone throw her a burger)! from the neck down she looks like a child playing dress up with her mother's clothes! Paula and Nicole may not be the best vocalists but atleast they are/were good performers. I don't Know why she was a judge on the UK X factor in the 1st place (how can someone that cannot sing tell another person they cannot sing?!) but she should of kept her ass there and be greatful! FOX r using her accent as an xcuse, I mean did they only just hear her speak? Probably just a publicity stunt.

May 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • omg

Cheryl doesn't need to be super talented to judge wether someone else is talented... ur judging and are u talented? her role was to mentor her contestants this means encouragement and support. that she is good at! she knows exactly how to get back up when she's been knocked down and this is what happens on the xfactor!

May 27, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  42. xfm

Hire some of the following as judges, and you will really get viewers:
    Gwen Stefani. Tommy Mottola. Gloria Estefan or Emilio Estefan. Shakira. Ricky Martin. Kenny Edmunds(Babyface). Justin Timberlake. Billy Joel. Amy Grant. Brian Wilson. Kylie Minogue. Ringo Starr.
    GET SOME GOOD JUDGES, Simon!!! Then you may have a hit show

May 26, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Summer

This has nothing to do with her accent as they knew this when they offered her the postion. I can understand her perfectly, although I don't like her accent, find it incredibly annoying. I really don't care as to why she was fired because I felt she really didn't deserve the job in the first place. I am glad they picked Nicole, I much prefer her over Cheryl. I really like the lineup of our beloved Paula & Simon together again, along with Nicole and LA Reid.

May 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  44. fernace

This has diva Paula written all over it. If she didn't get along with the Brit singer(who can sing circles around her), she probably threw a diva fit & got Simon to fire her. Unless she gets along with Scherzinger, I dont see Nicole lasting that long either. Paula was a decent dancer, but a questionable singer, not enough talent to support such a Super Sized Ego!!

May 26, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Chris

Fans of recently arrested Serbian war criminal Ratko Mladic?

May 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Auntie Depressant

Off topic, but WHO would name their kid Ratko???!

May 26, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  47. WLM

She really does have a thick accent, but I am sure the viewers will understand her,.. They understand Simon right??/
    I think its cause she is unknown in North America.. She has no music released here.. she doesnt live here, so what is the point of having her judge.. she should judge in England and have someone else that is known and respected judge here.. Now I do not, I repeat do not think Nicole from the PCD is a good choice. I dont find her singing that great... I think they can find someone better....

May 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Padraig

That is really insulting to us British, her accent isn't even that bad, so please get real. On the good side Nicole Scherzinger is a great person, and bound to be a great judge. If Cheryl returns to UK Factor, I'll cry. I rather Frankie from The Saturdays than Cheryl :/

May 26, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

@Padrig – You hope Frankie stays and Cheryl doesn't get her job back, so we are supposed to take your trash ?

May 26, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Padraig

Frankie is better to me to be honest. Cheryl is annoying at times, her singing is terrible but her dancing is quite good. Frankie has both of the talents, dancing, and singing.

May 26, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Teresa

Can someone tell me please WHO IS CHERYL COLE?

May 26, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Padraig

Cheryl Cole is "one" of the biggest women in the UK. She was in the British girl band called, "Girls Aloud". They split up and she went on the original show, "X FACTOR UK" and that's how she got popular.

May 26, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Teresa, ever hear of something called a "Google search"?

May 26, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  50. lisa

i never heard her speak so i don't know about the accent thing. i know some british people are really easy to understand and some are not. i watch plenty of british shows and sometimes i have difficulty and sometimes i dont. i even have plenty of jamaican friends and some i can understand very easily and some i just cant figure out what they are saying. when i first moved to the south there were some with southern accents that i could not for the life of me figure out what they were saying. so i guess it all depends on who is speaking and who is listening.

May 26, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

You can get used to different accents. But for one thing, if an American wants to go into Showbiz and is from a lower class / poor background and/or has a strong regional accent or dialect, then to have mainstream success, they have to tone it down & speak in a more "standard" American accent. In the UK, they decided at some point that repressing "regional" or what used to thought of as low-class speech was snobbery – so now there are many "famous" people who just talk however they want to talk. That doesn't always travel well. Americans don't have much of a point of reference for her anyway, even if the TV audience was given a chance to hear her, they aren't automatically going to fall down & worship her just because she is British. Part of the reason could be "Who?" instead of "What?"!

May 26, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Daniel

cheryl cole = mungral loving toby chaser – good riddance

May 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  52. I call BS

I feel somewhat insulted by the whole "accent is to thick" business. Who is Fox to tell me what I can and cant understand so, I CALL BS! There's got to be some other reason.

May 26, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • D Money

yep, there is another reason. Her initials are Paula Abdul lol. To be honest, I'm glad that crazy woman is off American Idol. There, Paula, I "straight up" told ya. Oh oh oh.

May 26, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Or her criminal record??

May 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Brian

Nicole would be better as a judge than a host anyway...good move!

May 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Chris

If it is the accent, I think its an insult, to the American veiwer, implying they cant be botheredor arnt intelligent enough to understand it.
    I am biased however, as I live in Newcastle where Cheryl comes from.
    Cheryl's accent is called a Geordie accent by the way and is one of the most trusted in Britain.
    And to Cheryl I say, 'Ne'er mind pet, we still like you bonny lass'

May 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • bev

guess you hit the nail on the head and clearly the americans cannot understand the difference between accents and dialects and the use of English...interesting really in view of BO's recently becoming a honoury jordie boy lol

May 26, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duh

Bev, the producer of the show is British, don't judge so quickly...

May 27, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Superhiro

Cheryl who? X what?

May 26, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Yeah, Superzero, and ten years ago brilliant commenters like yourself were asking "Who is this Simon Cowell nobody?"

May 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

Ok... Is that supposed to mean something?

May 26, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  56. markus

ALREADY!?

I was in London when they announced she had signed on- that was barely 3 weeks ago! Even then they had said she was going to need to work on her accent. And this was the British press.

May 26, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

I read an article the other day that she might be asked to dump her boyfriend (Derek Hough of DWTS fame) because their relationship could keep her from becoming a big star. Apparently "they" (whoever they are) thought that if she is unattached, she will draw more attention. I wonder if she told them she wouldn't put up with those kinds of demands.

May 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • anon

But that's British press who are based in London in the south of England. Cheryl is from Newcastle in the north east of England and has a Geordie accent. The snobbery towards the north by the south is thinly veiled in the tabloids and people with northern regional English accents are viewed automatically as lower class and uneducated.

May 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  57. jon

Seriously??? You have to be retarded if you can't understand her.

May 26, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  58. jacob

I'm not going to believe it until it's confirmed

May 26, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  59. Come On

I said a few months ago when you guys had stories about her before she even got the job that she shouldn't be a judge. Shes unknown, & had said Nicole should have had the judges spot in the 1st place.

Im not buying the accent thing tho.
    I still say its about viewers and around 50% of the viewers would be going "Cheryl who??"
    She has nothing of hers released in the States, the media arent really talking about her. (besides today/last night) & when she did get signed. All Ive ever seen was talk about how Simon & Paula were back together.

my dislike for her aside. She should still get paid for her 12 month clause they put on her 3 year contract.

Other than that they better not let her back on the X Factor UK. I was going to actually watch it this year (even tho the sacked Dannii) but will find another program to watch if Tweedy returns to it

Oh and also it only took America 10 days to realize what "some" of the UK still hasnt. =)

May 26, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  60. Neil n Kansas

Nicole must have an Album coming out,she reminds me of J~Lo...anything to keep her name in peoples mouth...im over this shyt!

May 26, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  61. Lindsey

This accent stuff is ridiculous. Cat Deeley's accent is much thicker and she hosts a show! I know a lot of people that went to the Chicago auditions and they absolutely loved Cheryl. They understood her and thought she got on great with all the judges. I want to know the real reason she was let go. Does anyone else think it's odd that Nicole got Corbin fired and then disses Cheryl and gets to replace her? If you are going to replace Cheryl, at least do it with someone who knows what they are doing.

May 26, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • johnnyboy

Her being droped because of her accent is probably a load of bull, but actually she does have a very heavy NORTHERN Engilsh accent that even her own country folk down in London may have a difficult time understanding.

If you've ever lived or travelled in the UK you will quickly realize that there are many different accents that vary from city to city.......evern from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Some of these accents maybe so extreme that at times not even they could understand eachother. The UK is very very class based. Even more so than the U.S. Your class and education level can easily be determined by your accent.

May 26, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Mark

Already? Wow.

May 26, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  63. Tommy

Noooo! I love Cheryl! She's one of the reasons I watch the British version. ;(

May 26, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Dr. Miller

Yawn...

May 26, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

You do know that British people speak english right? "A source close to the production tells TMZ she was let go because her British accent was too thick for American audiences." How sad and dumb.

May 26, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • matt

Jeremy..you're an idiot. Of course british people speak english..but they speak with a different accent. Have you heard her talk?? She has a very thick british accent. American audience need to be able to understand the judges speak.

May 26, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ruby

Who is this Cheryl Cole??? Is she popular in the US? there's no way she will be part of a Bigtime US show when Noone knows her here!

May 26, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Ruby, how truly ignorant can you be? Who here in the US had ever heard of Simon Cowell before he did IDOL? Or Randy Jackson? Or any of the dozens of other judges on any of these reality show contests when they first aired, like DANCING WITH THE STARS?

May 26, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • lulu

ME TOO! I've been watching the British version of X Factor and absolutely LOVE the show. I certainly understand what she says...people its ENGLISH....what can't you understand? Sad, really. I will not be watching it for the fact that PAULA will be judging I don't think I can stand another show with her babbling rants and seal clapping. Simon here's a thought, BOOT Paula to the curb and bring your friend Cherly Cole, remember her,? You should she sat right next to ya on X Factor. DUMB MOVE on FOX's part.

May 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eliot

I love Cherly too and I also watch her on the Net to see X-Factor UK...she is so funny, so pretty and so stylish and so very easy to understand...one only needs to listen. Yes she has an accent but so does Sarah Palin and I can for the life of me ever figure out what the hell she is saying.

May 26, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Of course, the American TV audience will never even get a chance to decide for themselves. She might have taken some people some getting used to but really...I'm sure it's not that big a deal. But they could have worked with her to tone it down a little – like some Americans with regional accents do when they're on TV / in the movies! The accent could just be an excuse. She does have a criminal record in the UK for assaulting & racially abusing a toilet attendant.

May 26, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • fried chicken n watermelon

I can't understand people with southern accents so what's the big deal?

May 26, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

As others have said, can we get one thing straight . . . Cheryl does not have a strong "British" accent – she has a Geordie accent, just like the Scots or the Welsh have strong accents when they speak English. OK, it takes a bit of getting used to if you've never heard it before, but hey, give the girl a chance.

May 26, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Matt - Have you ever heard Hugh Laurie speak? He has a strong British accent as well, but he can suppress it when he chooses to. There's no reason why she couldn't do the same to make herself understood by American audiences.

May 26, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cory

It just goes to show how thick and narrow minded Americans really are. It's yet another thing American producers do to dumb down television for a viewing public that believes the the world revolves around them.

Head home happy Cheryl to a country that accepts you for who you are not how you sound!

May 27, 2011 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
    • sarah

You may think Cheryl is untalented but the reason she was in the UK Factor was because she appealed to the the younger audience (she won with her acts more than the others) which Simon knew full well that format worked over here and in his huge egotistic wisdom he thought the same format would work in the US unfortunately for whatever reason and i don't believe it was due to her accent (how condescending to the US people) he misjudged it. He also misjudged Britains got talent by replacing himself with David Hasslehoff that format is not working either because the british public as much as they like Mr Hasslehoff we can't relate to him as a judge.

May 27, 2011 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
    • MaggieJS

Cory, may I remind you that this was not an "American" decision, so don't go blaming the whole American public for something decided by the producers of the show. You're showing your unwarranted prejudice.

May 27, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Duh

@Cory, just goes to show you how thick and narrow minded you are, the producer is BRITISH, idiot...

May 27, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • anon

The British accent? Britain isn't one single country; it's three. The UK is four.

The accent that most people refer to when they talk about the British accent is the posh English accent as used by Simon Cowell, Piers Morgan, Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, Liz Hurley and Hugh Laurie.

All those people are from the south of England and privately educated whereas in England alone there are loads or accents. What about The Beatles' Scouse accent from Liverpool or Ozzy Osbourne's Brummy accent from Birmingham? The infamous Gallagher brothers of Oasis and their Mancunian accent? AC/DC's Brian Johnson and The Animals' Eric Burdon as well as Sting are from the same city as Cheryl. And that's just England.

It's not as if Americans couldn't get an ear for it or her accent wouldn't become softer. What about Craig Ferguson? His Glaswegian accent has become more and more American over the years.

May 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |