'Biggest Loser' winner: Ready to go forward
May 26th, 2011

'Biggest Loser' winner: Ready to go forward

Olivia Ward didn't know what to expect when she stepped foot on "The Biggest Loser" ranch last year.

"I thought I would do some working out, get some information and lose weight," Ward said. "I didn't realize it would be that difficult.  Six to eight hours of exercise every day. It was like 'Groundhog Day.'"

The 35-year-old opera singer overcame those difficulties to win the 11th season of the NBC show. Ward, who began the show weighing 261 pounds, lost nearly half her starting weight, finishing at 132 pounds.

Ward finished just ahead of her sister, Hannah Curlee, who lost 120 pounds. Ward admitted that there was plenty of sibling rivalry between the two.

"It was always one of those things where I'm never going to let Hannah win and vice versa," Ward noted. "We're able to rejoice and celebrate with each other despite the rivalry."

The New Yorker hopes to capitalize on her weight loss success in the opera world, planning to train her voice ahead of auditions this fall. A bike tour of Italy with her husband is also in the cards, and Ward didn't close the door on spreading the word of good health with her sister.

"There's definitely going to be some speaking engagements down the line. People want to be encouraged and want to hear our story. I'd like to do some public speaking and pay it forward."

Making the transition from the "Biggest Loser" world may prove a bit difficult for Ward, but she's confident that she'll be able to maintain her goal weight and healthy lifestyle.

"Weight loss happens in the mind first. For me, overcoming the scale and the obstacles that kept me from losing weight allowed me to be faithful to diet and exercise. It's good old-fashioned mind over matter."

So what does it take to be a "Biggest Loser" competitor? Ward says just being yourself will do it.

"It sounds like a cliché, but it's true.  Don't imagine what you think the show wants to see," she advises. " Just be yourself, and hope the show likes it."

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. password manager

Thanks for any other informative website. The place else may I am getting that type of information written in such an ideal approach? I have a challenge that I am just now operating on, and I have been on the glance out for such information.

May 4, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Indrajeet

Hi Admin, i can say that this website dtefniely will, i mean look at all the feedback? so often it is the authorities that are letting down these defenceless innocent babies and toddlers, this trend MUST STOP NOW!!I can understand that this type of work is not easy but i believe that to save at least one childs life will and can make a difference..X

March 17, 2012 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. Been There

If you've never had a weight problem, then you can't truly appreciate this remarkable show. This former "fattie" ain't going back!

May 27, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. sarah

I have always watched the show,cheered them on and could not wait to see the winner.But, this season was so boring that I finally changed the channel.I felt that way to much time was spent on the tears and the "how I got this way" My friends and myself have changed the name to "The biggest Snoozer"

May 27, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
    • ser

I did the exact same thing......this season too....i used to be a big fan of this show....then as i was sitting on the couch, eating a bag of chips and drinking a soda.....i had a revelation. I thought...this show sucks and it is boring...I am not watching anymore...i changed the channel and finished my soda and chips....

June 20, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rachel L'Heureux

As an (aspiring!) opera singer in New York myself, I was cheering Olivia on the whole time. Her determination is matched only by her natural talents, and I hope I am lucky enough to meet her at an engagement someday. She'll be giving Netrebko a run for her money.

May 26, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Teresa from Tulsa

If lots of people weren't interested (and watching), this show wouldn't still be on. The networks only keep programs that make money for them.

May 26, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cynthia

Amen to that, One. I enjoy watching The Biggest Loser and am very happy for Olivia. The story of her weight loss journey and the journeys of the other contestants are much more interesting than "LiLo" and her drug infestation, Charlie and his drug induced mental illness, Halle and who she is with this week, and Arnold's love child or children.

May 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Evel Knievel

Give her a couple of months and she will be fat again. Fatties don't have the discipline to stay thin.

May 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. One

I am not one for ranting and I am not about to start now. I will say though, seriously? America has an out of control obesity problem and The Biggest Loser has quite a following. There are plenty of reason's why people should care about the season winner. Fans of the show, whether because they are inspired by her transformation or because they have followed her journey through a grueling proces over the season of show certainly care. If you have not come to place in life where you have had to transoform yourself in one way or another, I suppose it can be hard to relate and appreciate it. I would suggest it is certainly more newsworthy than Lindsay Lohan or some of the other crap I see on here.

May 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. erose85

Good for you, Olivia!

May 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. nyckky

OMG!!!! Your just Jealous!!! dang i care about her losing weight.

May 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan51

like i said... no one (in this case and all cases no one also equals nobody)

May 26, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Beautiful Vixen

Hmm I'm going to have to check back on this blog later because I'm sure some funny comments will be on here. On another note, I'm happy that she lost the weight.

May 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan51

When asked where she would celebrate her victory she responded with "I'M GOING TO AN ALL YOU CAN EAT BURGER BAR... WOOOO!!!"

May 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ryan51

I think its great that she lost all the weigh and gained some self esteem and all but honestly... who is this person? why should anyone other that her family and friends care? And CNN how is this even entertainment new... much less real news? (let the flaming begin)

May 26, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan51

judging by the lack of comments on a thing that has been up an hour... its pretty clear that the answer to most of those questions is no one.

May 26, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Captain Obvious

Why is it in entertainment news? Because it's a TV show. Why do people care? Because some people like to see others achieve their goals and some can use this as inspiration for themselves. While not obese myself, I do plan my work outs for when this show is on. I say to myself if that 400 pounder can do it, then so can I.

May 27, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |