Oprah Winfrey's final show: The live blog
May 25th, 2011

Oprah Winfrey's final show: The live blog

After 25 years, the time has come to say goodbye to "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

The talk-show host has warmed up to her farewell episode with a star-studded spectacular at Chicago's United Center, which, if you're anything like us, quickly brought out the waterworks when it aired this week.

Don't put the tissues away yet, because we're expecting nothing less from Winfrey's final hour. According to WGN, the show will be more intimate, and we can expect Winfrey to break down what she's learned over the past 25 years. Join us here as we live-blog the last episode. Are you ready for it?

10 a.m. ET: They're launching us into the final show with clips of retro "Oprah Winfrey Show," from her very first episode. Oprah herself comes out in a lovely pink dress, and she looks composed in front of the screaming fans, all giving her a standing O. One lady's already crying, and we're only a minute in.

10:05 a.m. ET Oprah takes us on a walk down memory lane, all the way back to that very first episode, when she was about to turn 30. At that time, "I didn’t have a vision," Winfrey says. "I just wanted to do a good job. I was so happy to get the job ... as you can see from my first day on 'AM Chicago,' I had no publicists advising me, no stylists, there was no hair and makeup team. Just a Jheri curl and a bad fur coat."

10:12 a.m. ET: Oprah says that she "started the show as a job, but it wasn’t long before I understood there was something else going on here. Sometimes I was a teacher, and more often, you taught me. It’s no coincidence that I always wanted to be a teacher and I ended up in the world’s biggest classroom, and this will be the largest class from this stage."

10:15 a.m. ET: This isn’t about a gift-giving ceremony, Oprah explains. "There will be no guests, no surprises, you will not be getting a car. This last hour is about me saying thank you, it is my love letter to you. I want to leave you all with the lessons that anchor my life. Everyday that I stood here I knew that this was exactly where I was supposed to be. There was many a day I came to work tired, but I showed up because I knew that you were waiting, you were waiting for whatever we had to offer. That’s why I never missed a day in 25 years."

10:16 a.m. ET: Oprah says the lesson she wants everyone to get from this show is to know "what sparks the light in you so that you in your own way can illuminate the world. I didn’t even imagine that the show would have the depth and the reach that (it has now). ... Wherever you are, that’s your stage, your circle of influence. That’s your talk show, that’s where your power lies. … You have the power to change somebody’s life. Everyone has a calling, and your real job in life is to figure out what that is and get about the business of doing it."

10:20 a.m. ET: Oprah talks about how she's still feeling the love, not only from her surprise farewell spectacular, but from all of the posts on her website, the tweets, and the letters she's gotten from her viewers. This last show, she says, is a thank you and a love letter to all of those people who have been tuning in.

10:22 a.m. ET: From her early shows, when there was a focus on people making mistakes and learning from them, Oprah says the ultimate lesson there was that "nobody but you is responsible for your life. It doesn’t matter what your mama did, doesn’t matter what your daddy did, you are responsible for your life. What is life? Energy. And you are responsible for the energy that you create for yourself and you are responsible for the energy you bring to others. ... That's what we learned on this show. You are responsible for your life, and when you get that, everything changes. Don't wait for someone to fix you, complete you, or change you. When you are responsible for your life, you get free."

10:33 a.m. ET: There's another huge lesson that Oprah relays, one that truly crystallized after this year's episode featuring Iyanla Vanzant. "The show has taught me that a common thread that runs through all our pain and suffering is unworthiness," Oprah says. "There’s a difference between thinking you deserve to be happy and knowing that you are worthy of being happy. That never became more clear to me than the episode with Iyanla Vanzant this year. ... What I got was, we can all block our own blessings because we don’t feel inherently good enough, or smart enough, or pretty enough. The show has taught me that you’re worthy because you were born and you are here. Your being here, and being alive, makes you worthy. You alone are enough."

In the end, she adds, we all share the desire to know that others see us, hear us and value what we say. "Understanding that principle has allowed me to hold the microphone for you all. It has worked for this platform and I guarantee you it’ll work for you. Try it with your (family) and friends: I see you, I hear you. What you say matters to me."

10:42 a.m. ET: What's the secret to "The Oprah Winfrey Show's" success? "I say my team, and Jesus," Oprah tells the audience. "Nothing but the hand of God."

For those who question what God she's referring to, "I’m talking about the same God you’re talking about. The alpha and omega. The source and force of everything there is, the one and only G-o-d," Oprah says. "I know I’ve never been alone, and you haven’t either. That presence, that flow, some people call it grace, it’s working in my life at every single turn. It’s yours for the asking." She added, "God is love and God is life. And your life is always speaking to you, first in whispers."

10:46 a.m. ET: Oprah says that while she doesn't really have any regrets, the one thing she wasn't able to bring enough attention to was the sexual seduction, molestation and rape of children.

10:52 a.m. ET: As the final show comes to a close, Oprah says she hopes her viewers will "all be the safe harbor for somebody else, to do for them what you have said the show has done for you. " She goes on, "I want you to keep in touch, e-mail me at oprah@oprah.com. It’s the personal e-mail account for all of you...I want you to know that what you have to say matters to me. "

10:54 a.m. ET Oprah says that all of you out there watching her show are the ones who taught her what love is. "It’s no coincidence that I grew up to feel genuine affection, validation and trust. From you whose names I will never know, I learned what love is. You and this show have been the great love of my life."

10:56 a.m. ET: Before heading into the audience for one last time, to shake hands and greet her viewers, Oprah says that "every single day I came down from my makeup room, I’d offer a prayer of gratitude for the opportunity to do this work. To be embraced by all of you, it's one of the greatest honors a human being can have."

Is leaving the show bittersweet? No, she says, it's "all sweet, no bitter. Many of us have been together for 25 years. We’ve had our 'aha' moments together, we’ve done our gratitude journal together. So I thank you all for your support and trust in me. I thank you for tuning in everyday with your mothers and sisters and partners, gay and otherwise. I thank you for being a sweet inspiration to me."

And then the final words: "I won’t say good-bye, I’ll just say, until we meet again. To God be the glory."

10:59 a.m. ET: Tyler Perry was spotted in the audience, and other celebrities are already reacting to Oprah's farewell. Mariah Carey tweeted, “Thank u Oprah for inspiring, educating & most importantly giving so many the power to dream & have hope these past 25 yrs! Love & God bless.” Says Niecy Nash, "@Oprah Thank You for all you have given us for 25 years! Hoping the next 25 yrs for you are even better than u imagined:)"

Filed under: Celebrities • Oprah Winfrey • television

« Previous entry
  1. Contracting Info

Generally I do not read article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, very nice article.

August 29, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cindy

hope you were being true to everyone.

May 26, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. jen

FARWELL OPRAH THE QUEEN OF ALL MEDIA,ALL HAIL!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. charley witt

Farewell and who cares? Is it because she is black that there is someone making a big deal out of this? There is a far more important things in this country going on than Oprah's last show! 99% of the black community would call her a oreo and the others really don't give a ....!!

May 25, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mjl

Oprah's hubris and EGO are unmatched! I watched the world celebrate Oprah for two days on Monday and Tuesday. Today's final show was nothing more than a platform for Oprah to write her epitaph. I watched today's entire episode waiting for Oprah to pay tribute to someone other than herself (and God) for her success. Where was the tribute to her staff? Why weren't they invited on stage to take a bow, to receive a congratulatory applause from her Highness? If Oprah wants to set an example, set it by showing that other people matter. In Oprah's world, viewers, her staff and others are just accessories that adorn her life. Your on your OWN now - I'm bailing!

May 25, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SO WHAT

To all you people that wrote bad things about Oprah – GUESS WHAT – she is rich and you still take your broke behind to work everyday.

GET OVER IT – OPRAH MADE MONEY OFF OF YOU.

May 25, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mia

Don Anus. Are you gonna come out and admit that your mother is also your sister?

May 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bert

Maybe Harold Camping predicted the end of Oprayh, not the end of the world.

May 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ruby

Like it or not, Oprah is one of the wealthiest, most influential women of our time. She has every right to use her wealth and influence however she chooses. How lucky we all are that she chooses to help those who really need it!

May 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. DDSIlks

Say what you want about how wonderful Oprah was. Tell about all she did for people. There is another article on CNN that says "there will never be another Oprah." Truth is, she was the biggest racist on Earth. Sure, go and build a school in Africa, and then go and take a look in south Georgia or Mississippi at kids in your own country.
    Turn your back on Hillary Clinton, whom you promoted and supported from the gitgo, and go with Obama, who has rewritten the textbook on how to be an ineffective president.
    And all this hype about her last show! What is this, more media garbage for empty women???

May 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. stelios

25=5=2011==OPRAH===I think she is a speaker between a politician and comedian==because she have not knowledge from the global environment as greek philosophy,science,to teach high civilization==stellios from seaside of flogita halkidiki greece-hellas

May 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MDT

Oprah: "Enough! Already! just disappear and leave us in peace, what a egomaniac."

May 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sonia rodriguez

Oprah you are so beautiful. Thanks for all that you have done in the past and will continue to do in the future. Your impact on the world will remain long after you have gone. There will always be something or someone that will always remind us that you are for real. Nofake. You have the power to do what you love to do as long as it makes you happy. You are not about race or religion U r about everything great and good. Having your face showing on all the channels and papers says it all. Like it or not you are good stuff everybody wants. God Bless and we love you in Belize.

May 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Johnny Olson

Today our studio audience members will each receive their very own bag of Opa Winfrey doodoo, doodoo products and delicious Opa doookie and pecan bars.

Remember the first name in Doookie is Opa Winfrey.

May 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. WaitWhat

Lot of haters on here. I have a feeling when you look in the mirror every morning you never like what you see.

May 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mia

So, Oprah is a black racist? I thought that she opened the media doors to Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz and others. I think that you are sh-tting bricks because she's made it possible for scores of blacks to receive an education that is threatening to you. I do not worship Oprah, there are a few things that I do not agree with her on. But I must give credit where credit is due. What are you doing to help others? What will be your legacy? What will be said at your Eulogy? It's you who are the racist. You Love to see blacks on drugs, in prison or dead! You Hate to see blacks who are Millionaires, Billionaires and the Leader of the Free World.

May 25, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. FactandFiction

I've only seen one or two of her talk shows in their entirety so I won't just the quality of her work. I am not a fan or a foe. However, I will say she has helped many people around the world, financially and emotionally. Just because it wasn't me she helped or someone I know doesn't make it less valuable, especially to those benefited. She has no duty to help others. She is a well-paid entertainer who happened to connect with people. But she did more and will probably continue to do more. If you "hate" her so much blame the housewives that made her popular. Don't blame Oprah for seeing a niche market and capitalizing on it. She's done a lot more than I could do. Some people won't be happy until she renounces her wealth, comes out as a lesbian, admits she's really just actress and some physiologist told her what to say everyday and admits we fell for the longest running gag in TV history. Pretty crazy.

May 25, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Stevona

Obviously CNN does not sanction it's comments. Many of you are rude and pathetic,Oprah must have done her job well because of the many haters that are on here. Like the saying goes if everyone likes you then you are not being true to yourself.

May 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Alex

@CR shes given millions and millions to families and charities that deserve it and need it unlike you. you are so ignorant.

May 25, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. my house

Fuc you losers, you sit behind your computers making vile remarks, like Oprah gives a shi.t! You losers are nobodies, get it, not fuccin bodies, your opinions are like ass-h0les everyone has one. Oprah will still be rich tomorrow, are you trolls will still be miserable and broke! Now that is funny, LMAO!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

You sound so angry I highly doubt you're LYAO. Just another sign of the liberal disease.

May 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • myhouse

@ The Mad R@p3r, I am mad, mad that I have to share this beautiful world, with losers like you. I hate miserable people,get a fuccin life, chump! Better yet, go jack your little iddy bitty peter off somewhere!

May 25, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • myhouse

@ The Mad R@p3r, matter of fact, go get a fuccin job. You have been posting all day, don't you have something to do loser? I do, see ya, would never want to be ya, numb nutz!

May 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • MYHOUSEISOPRAHSPUPPYDOGASSKISSER

MY HOUSE IS JUST ANOTHER OPRAH LOVING LOSER WHO WOULD GIVE ANYTHING THE PICK THE DINGLE BERRIES FROM HER FAT SMELLY BUTT.

May 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. dan

way over-rated .. she did not contribute to this society with absolutely nothing, but wasting people's time .. thank god is over !!! .. not a moment too soon

May 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  22. John geisler

You dont have to do anything some days just your smile made me feel better and feel better about myself !!

May 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Linda

Why is it that if a "White" person says they don't like someone and if that person is black there a RACIST but when a "Black" person states they don't like someon and that person is white they aren't a RACIST????? I know a lot of blacks that hated President Bush...why isn't that called RACIST...... ??? I hate the Race Card, it's gotten O L D!

May 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  24. cdidk7

GOOD RIDDENS!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. toniski

I agree with Niecy Nash. Let's do it mo' bigger and mo' better for the next 25 years O! Bring it to bring it!

May 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Charlotte

Good riddance I say. Oprah made her living off of other people's misery, the "give away cars"..yeah ok...those saps still had to pay the taxes on them. To me thats not free. Then her crying racism over not being allowed into a French shoppe WHEN THEY WERE CLOSED was a true showing of her manipulative ways. For someone who pretends to be so concerned about the welfare of humankind, she could have done so much more for it.

May 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Truth

Oprah denied Jesus in front of millions of viewers. The Word of God plainly teaches that the ONLY Way to salvation is by Jesus Christ (John 14:6). Oprah denies this Truth.

May 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jesusin

I don't know much about Oprah, but I hat when celebrities push their personal religion in public like this "God is love and God is life". Now I know I didn't miss much and that I will try to avoid anything that stinks Oprah. Plese keep your religious garbage for you.

May 25, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  29. kenzh

And about time. What a blabbermouth. You've turned this great nation into a bunch of crybabies and wimps, trying to get in touch with their inner "child."

May 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  30. GwenT

I will truly miss. She was an inspiration to be years ago when I had a problem that I thought, at the, my family didn't want to hear. She wrote me back and inspired me. To all the idiots bashign her, I just want to say, get a life. Oprah did and it's a pretty good one. I once was told by an idiot that wanted to date me, that I had the Oprah Winfrey syndrome. Thanks Gus, no words truer ever spoke about me.

May 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Teeners

Thank you Oprah for not judging, for not giving up, and for not listening to all those that have only had negative things to say about you. I loved your show and am sad to see it end. I know in my heart, that its not the end for you....just the beginning of a new era. God is not done with you yet.
    Love!

May 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jack Stimmel

Whats the percentage of "Blacks" to "Whites" she has helped over her career ??? she's not racist...

May 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Alabama

They forgot to say "and good riddance."

May 25, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Don

Glad all this is now over. Tired a hearing about it. Another talk show host is leaving and people are sad as now they can't get free stuff when they go to the show. Who the H cares..

May 25, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlotte

Soooooo true Don. Celebrity talk shows are like reality television...no substance.

May 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Relax

Relax folks. There's plenty to hate in the world besides Oprah. I never cared for Oprah, so I didn't watch. Period. Seems like all the hate is really either racism or jealousy. You know I'm right...you just won't admit it. Get a life.

May 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  36. john

Finally...Star Trek may get a chance on this channel again....

May 25, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mavial Lemnis

I love Oprah and wish her well, Why are people on her being hateful and talking about what she didnt spend her money on. Trust me, you have no ideal what she has done IN PRIVATE to help people. And what she has done publically has been FAR beyond the call of duty. Oprah Is an Icon, she has been an instrument of the Almighty GOD! and she has been blessed beyond measure. Perhaps her ability to stay positive has been why she has become so prosperous and clearly her prosperity goes beyond her checking account and to her humanity. OPRAH you are blessed among women. and to whom much is given much is required. You have met the call. Be Blessed, Well done. An Iconic Life indeed.

May 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Kay

Has she left yet? Please?? Here we go again, for the shallow and superficial, let me educate you; for you, its all about HOW much she's given, HOW often she's given. It should never, ever be thought of it those terms. She has the billions to do it so power to her, most of us don't but we do what we can do, give what we can give. This does NOT make her better than anyone; if the worshippers of the Big O had any genuine soul you would know that! It minimizes what everyone else (who doesn't draw attention to themselves) does for others. Their efforts are far more honorable then she and you blind a** kissing sheep will ever know. The final straw for me was when she was on one of her road trips with Gayle and they crashed a wedding. She turned this couples special day into it being about her (big surprise) being there. Once again, it was about "ME!" Oh, they won't mind because after all, it is ME. There was a time I did admire her and I do know she has done some wonderful things, but you worshippers need to start thinking for yourself (it won't be hard to do) and maybe look around your own personal life and see the goodness in the people you have in your own backyard.

May 25, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Chris

Ok, here is an intelligent and thoughtful response.
    I found Oprah to be disingenuous to the point of being 'smarmy'.
    Better?

May 25, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  40. josh

who cares. good riddance her and her over inflated ego.

May 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Nan

I really can't believe what people on here write. You should be ashamed of yourselves. If one has an intelligent comment to make by all means. Very sad portrayal of people and what this world is comprised of these days.

May 25, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Chris

Ding dong the witch is dead!

May 25, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  43. jt_flyer

A ray of good news in an otherwise gloomy day!

May 25, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Betty

Once in a Life Time someone comes along who has a profoundly positive impact on the world, and
    Oprah Winfrey is such a person. Oprah was ordained by God to do what she does. She has been
    Blessed to be A BLESSING! Oprah you Embraced everyone and met no strangers. Through your
    example and the words you gave us...you taught us to look inside of ourselves to find out who we
    are, and who we can become! GOD BLESS you Oprah and continued success in all of your endeavors!

B. Anderson
    Chicago

May 25, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  45. Bob Brown

All of the final show videos have been removed from youtube "due to copyright claim of Harpo Inc."

So much for her genuinely trying to get her message out. No money, no message. Choke on your money you greedy bytch.

May 25, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Yolanda Weiner

In the coming weeks you will be able to purchase Opas last show and any of her shows via DVD. Just watch the greedy hippo do it.

May 25, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Steve

You know, I used to like Oprah until she made her politics known. She never talked politics and I didn't know where she stood. That all changed after a black guy ran for president in 2008. Then she campaigned for him all around the US. I realized she wouldn't have done that for anyone else and realized she is racist. I haven't liked her since and never will. She is not only that, but a super rich leftist like so many in Hollywood. I wish the gov't would tax all her money away from her. Good riddance to her.

May 25, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  47. Bullwinkle

Can you imagine how many mentally unstable people are in that live audience!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  48. Illo Humphrey, France

Formidable ! chère Oprah, bavissimo !

Ciao !, @ +,

illo,
    feliciter,
    scripsi et subscripsi.

i. h.

May 25, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  49. Southern Belle

Q: When is racism not considered racism?
    A: When it's spewed by a leftist.

May 25, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  50. Steadman

Finally! Now just go away.

May 25, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  51. Martin Mack

Just read Sins of a Nation. Awesome! This is the one Oprah wanted badly in her book club and her advisers said it was too politically risky.

May 25, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  52. Catwoman

Really, this "long goodbye" is WAY over the top, especially since she is still going to be on OWN! She in no way compares to REAL journalists who RISKED THEIR LIVES to report in WWII and Vietnam, ie. Walter Cronkite. Read Kitty Kelley's biography and SEE how she puts on a facade when she is on the air. Her tantrum outside of Hermes was embarassing. She didn't grill Sarah Ferguson like she did Mark Furman. Deciding to endorse Obama based on a "feeling" was laughable. I do give her credit for encouraging ordinary women to speak up and for taking the stigma away from us single women who don't plan to marry. BYE-BYE!

May 25, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  53. DanoMcRoo

Oprah Winfrey and Michael Moore............an elevator's worst nightmare.

May 25, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  54. Beavis Lutz

OHMYGODOFRAHISNOLONGERONMYTVWHATWILLIDO?!?

Seriously. Stop it before I murder you all in the face.

May 25, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  55. RCann

Now everyone can go out and get jobs and stop living vicariously through this rich blathering idiot. Life is now at your fingertips and the brain washing is over! Time to get to work!

May 25, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  56. Movitar

Who else wants to get a $829 iPad2 for $27.42! Or a brand new i7 macbook pro worth $1799.00 for under $150? Forget about high priced retail stores. Intelligent people are using SnagBids.com
    ...I am completely disappointed with CNN for snubbing Hines Ward, who won DWTS YESTERDAY!! you all have been all over Kirstie this season but cannot put up even 1 picture of Hines WHO WON THE WHOLE THING?! You have 6 stories of a wedding that happened a month ago but cannot talk about the man who won the whole contest 1 time? What, since you have a story of Oprah up that is enough talk about black people?? like seriously, what is the problem? The media have completely ignored Hines' win. I have actually read 2 articles about KIRSTIE going to eat after the show with NO MENTION that she had lost! How messed up is that

May 25, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  57. Marathon Sweetheart

She never missed a day in 25 years. My hope & prayer is to live my life with that dedication! Thanks Oprah! :-)

May 25, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  58. DanoMcRoo

According to many of you tools, Oprah must be evil......she's rich.

May 25, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  59. haha

gtfo

May 25, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  60. Movitar

Sponsored Links

May 25, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  61. Karen Leonard

Where is all the venom coming from? If you can't say something positive why not just get on with your day. No need to express hate there is enough in the world.

May 25, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • C

You must have one poor, sad little life. It's a shame good-hearted people are suffering in the midwest while garbage like you has nothing better to do than sit on a comp and make stupid comments.

May 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Karen Leonard

Stop drinking the Kool Aid and get down from your pedestal. She ain't all that great. If she didn't have money she'd be just another ho living on the street selling her butt for crack.

May 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  62. DanoMcRoo

I can't decide whether oprah winfrey is a symptom of America's terminal illness, or actually part of the cause.

May 25, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Finally!

So incredibly thrilled that it's finally over. Over the past several years, she turned what could have been a good talk show into a 3-ring circus. All she wanted was to see her name in lights in Hollywood. I don't doubt that she means well but you're kidding yourself if you think she just "loved" helping people. She gave a certain amount of money because she had to. All her show ever amounted to was equivalent to a gossip columnist weekly column.

May 25, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Chucklehead

I'll wager that the tornados tearing up the midwest will cease as soon as this wind bag goes off the air.

May 25, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  64. LAVONYA

Why is cnn deleting all the negative comments It must be a pro oprah network. Just because i dont lioke her doesnt mean i am a racist. Im black and think oprah is a P!G.

May 25, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  65. Jack Tors

When will this oxen attention hoar go away?

May 25, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  66. OPRAHSHOTBUCKWHEAT

OPRAH SHOT BUCKWHEAT!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  67. OPRAH & OBAMA SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! CNN, the home of LIBERAL FREAKS... I figured you guys would be having a LOVE FEST for QUEEN OPRAH! After all, she knows the Messiah Obama! She helped to get him elected in fact.

Oooooohhhhh Oprah.... Hail Queen Oprah......

May 25, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Unruellie

You sound like you were the big bully in High School I really wanted to punch lol.......or the "I'm not touching you" guy....seriously you need to grow up.

May 25, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  68. longing

Wow....what a let down.......an entire hour of her just talking?? What kind of a final show is that? I for one will not be watching – I expected a fantastic show with major celebrities and some kind of major blast of coolness.....the "self help" shows she did were my least favourite....I only watched when she did amazing things – her Oscar shows, big celebrities....give aways.... – so I for one think this is a non-important hour on television.....bring on the American Idol finale.....

May 25, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Unruellie

It was a 2 day finale...the first one had all the celebrities...this one was her getting back to how she really started...just talking to people. I think the ending was rather fitting (from reading it...not watching it)

May 25, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  69. doodee

i think i cried at the end of the show, realizing that this large black lady who talks for a living made billions of dollars, just doing that. not doing surgeries, not inventing anything, not devoting times to volunteering, just "talk". you know, if this doesn't speak volumes of what's wrong with our country, not sure what does. we don't have the right priorities, oprah knows this, and sucked it dry. she is no messiah, not smarter than your average human, but society has somehow believed it, what a load of doo.

May 25, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Catwoman

I agree with you 100%. It was sickening. Pope John Paul II, Mother Theresa, and Princess Diana didn't get that kind of tribute, and they deserved it for helping others.

May 25, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Unruellie

She has done A LOT. And if you truly believe that then you obviously have not done enough research to post any credible opinion on this article.

ps. I've never watched one show a day in my life but I have to give credit where credit is due...your statement is just plain wrong.

May 25, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  70. timy

Oprah will be in the news forever, the shows gone but shes not :(

May 25, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  71. OPRAHSHOULDKNEELBEFOREZOD

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  72. WECANTAFFORDTOHAVEANOTHEROPRAH

TROLLS EVERYWHERE, UNITE!!! DEMAND AN OPRAH FREE WORLD TODAY!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  73. TROLLSFORANOPRAHFREEWORLD

ON BEHALF OF ALL THE TROLLS OUT THERE, I VOTE FOR A PERMANENT SOLUTION TO THIS PIG OPRAH AND HER FOLLOWERS.

May 25, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

My final solution: Entice O to edge of cliff with a shopping cart full of hams, push cart off cliff, O dives off in hot pursuit, fans follow shortly thereafter.

May 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  74. a

What's the big deal about a tv show for middle aged house wives who got nothing better to do during the day time?

May 25, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  75. ola

a talk show host that made a billion dollars marketing herself, big deal, she was a very good journalist but other than that,????

May 25, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  76. I CANT STAND THIS FAKE QUEEN

PLEASE OPRAH, GET LOST... VERY LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  77. sam99999

Man she's been saying farewell almost as long as Celine Dion.

May 25, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  78. I Mean What

What’s with the teary goodbyes to Oprah? OK, so her afternoon chat show is going dark after 25 years, but surely Oprah is not about to pull a Greta Garbo and veer off into obscurity. Trust me, she does not want to be alone. On the contrary. Be prepared to see more of Oprah in the weeks, months and quarter centuries to come.

Read more of our thoughts @ "I Mean... What?!?" http://imeanwhat.com/#ixzz1NNLGonC3

May 25, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  79. LAVONYA

LAVONYA another one of them

May 25, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  80. messiah

messiah myass.

May 25, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  81. Mary

Wow! all you posters so full of hate you need to listen, stop blaming others, live, move.

May 25, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  82. ohwell

been watching the show for last 20 minutes. I go back and fourth with Oprah, sometimes she's humble, most of the time, she's plain out arrogant. Who does she think she is? The chosen one? She's a talk show host, that's it. She marketed herself on things; books, clothes, magazines, whoopee doo. She doesn't seem to have any insight more than the average joe.

May 25, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  83. Sarah Zmola

Sarah Zmola

My dear Oprah,
    don't mind that your so ignorant! I hate you and I can't thank you enough for your bad influence on my life.
    Sucking on a cup of coffee every morning and listening to your fowl message on TV gave me a pain.
    I hate you so much and I wish you the worse on your new journey, Sarah

May 25, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • @Sarah Zmola

Are you really that stupid to think this pig reads the blogs? Get a life! Moron!

May 25, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • seecolorado

How many careers have you launched. What have you done with you life?

May 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • winner

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbness

May 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katherine Furgeson

You need mental help.

May 25, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Graham

It is incredible how jealousy and ignorance can bring out pure evil in the human race.

May 25, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  85. Cheezboygee, cheezboygee, no Coke, Pepsi

Oh my gawd, Oprah gone!!! The sun may not come up tomorrow!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  86. zine

Who cares? I never understood why she was so popular anyway

May 25, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  87. Sarah Zmola

My dear Oprah,
    don't mind these ignorant coments! I love you and I can't thank you enough for your powerful influence on my life.
    Siping on a cup of coffee every morning and listening to your message on TV gave me a strenght to fullfill my dreams. My mission is to serve others and make a difference in this world....one person at a time!
    I love you so much and I wish you the best on your new journey, Sarah

May 25, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • You are a LOSER if you think Oprah was all that

See my name

May 25, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • @Sarah Zmola

Your complete lack of intelligence is frightening.

May 25, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Don'tReadTheTrolls

Hi Sarah, CNN should come with a warning that the postings are primarily from trolls and other hateful vile individuals who NOW have a national media platform to play their games in their otherwise small world. One time I was able to track down a troll online and found that he was absolutely disgusting and had hate comments all over the web. FYI: One of them hijacked your name here and wrote as if you a negative comment to Oprah.

May 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Pamela

OK – can she just go away now?????? All this hub-bub over one person – REALLY??? It never ceases to amaze me what stories are selected as 'news-worthy' – there are so many other important things happening in our world – too much media energy is being spent on this!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Rewards

Here is an idea Pammy. Don't look in the entertainment articles and sections if it doesn't interest you. Keep your superior little self busy with the world news that IS out there.

May 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unruellie

Spoken from a person who has never watched one complete episode a day in my life (granted I'm one year older than her show), Oprah has been a part of some women's whole adulthood. Just as I was devastated the day my favorite show on tv was over, some of those silly shows become a part of your world. And after 25 years she was seen as a friend and confidant who just understood because of that sometimes its hard to let go. I'm not going to say omg my life is over, but sometimes people need to be a bit more understanding.

May 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Treva

May 25, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  90. ddw2637

You will be missed for your positive influence and love for people no matter what side of the track. Best wishes to you and your new network crew

May 25, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Husker in Hutchinson

Positive Influence? She started her carer by interviewing love children of Elvis and people abducted by aliens. Oprah goes from Jerry Springer-type crap and then one day she starts shows on all that is good in life. The woman is as hypocritial as any human on the planet and got super-rich because people like you marvel at her every breath. GIVE ME A BREAK.

May 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maggie reber

I have watched Oprah's show for all those beautiful years. She is an inspiration to many. This would be a
      better world if there were more like her.

May 27, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  91. dirtyharry1971

Thank god its over, i will never understand how she was on this many years but at least i know men were not hte reason for her being on thank god! The world is a better place starting tomorrow, thank you god!!

May 25, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  92. B

Thank God!!! It's about time they got rid of her.

May 25, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  93. Big Kitchen

Good bye and good riddance. How much damage to America and it's families has been done by this woman will only really be revealed fully at judgment. Not hating you Oprah, just all that you have promoted. You have twisted truth and led millions astray.

May 25, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Bee

really? how ??

May 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miz Dee

I completely concur, amen and amen!

May 25, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

I think BK is talking about the alternative lifestyle she's pushed down our throats all these years.

May 25, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • seecolorado

How many careers have you launched. What have you done with you life?

May 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • TXmom

Collage Scholarship-Can I get one of those?

May 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bert

seecolorado, how many cars has she given to people, who had to return them because they couldn't afford the tax they had to pay ? I didn't see her cover THAT particular subject on her show.

May 25, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  94. SickOfIt

Gone? Good. Bye.

May 25, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  95. Joseph

People are so racist it's not funny, leave the woman alone she has done good, wish her the best and move on, dammit!
    What does it really matter who she sleeps with, as long as it's not your partner.......get a life all you losers that bashes her!

May 25, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • @sh

I agree Joseph...she has done good why sit here and bash her...yeah she is rich she worked for it and gives money away all the time to people who need it....more than can be said for most rich people...its funny to see people bash her and in the end she is still rich and on top...and the bashers are still sitting home on their computers being losers

May 25, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  96. WMesser58

I am so glad this is over. I'm so sick about hearing about Oprah leaving. It's a talk show people and Phil Donahue did it a million times better before there was an Oprah. She is a "TALK SHOW HOST" and she will not give you all her money so let her go gently in to the obscurity where she belongs.

May 25, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Bee

Jeez the comments here are so racist. her talk show may not be your thing but the comments do not have to be so vile.

May 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  97. mb2010a

Meh...

May 25, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  98. bailoutsos

and an Emmy for covering up her relationship with GAYle.

May 25, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  99. Melissa

WE LOVE YOU !!!!! FROM CANTLEY, CANADA

May 25, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  100. bailoutsos

Hollywood still owes her, and others, an Oscar for The Color Purple.

May 25, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  101. itsallgoodnroanoke

Your job was well done, Oprah, why don't you sue the papers for saying you and Gayle are hot for each other. This will be the right thing to do, after all, leaving it be makes people think its true or better yet, you don't care. There are some things YOU MUST FIGHT FOR. This is one of them. FIGHT! Shut them up, I believe in you and wish you the very best. Good Luck and Sorry I couldn't come to your shows, I can't fly!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

I can't fly either, curse these stupid arms.

May 25, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Jack Torsorino

Ahhh – the lovey internet, where people can write things anonymously . No one in the their right mind would put their name to such a silly idea. It must be so embarrassing when someone finds out you listen to what this gas bag has to say. Please, get a hold of yourself.

May 25, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • unruellie

I think she might be gay....and I would LOVE her for coming out once and for all : D

May 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  102. The Mad R@p3r

The final show should climax with her ritually devouring sally jessy raphael and phil donahue.

May 25, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • LumberJack

Fine...we know, just go already....go........GO......GO!!!

May 25, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • The Mask

She should thank first and foremost, Phil Donahue because her show was a clone of his show. She just happen to get lucky with the housewives and non working people of this country.

May 25, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  103. NObama NOprah

WORD!!!

May 25, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  104. jo

This was caused by recession. Yes. We are are heading the next great depression.

May 25, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  105. I pray Oprah stays away

What will all the Loser no-life housewives do with themselves now? OMG, might they GET A LIFE of their own? What a concept!

May 25, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  106. B

no way!

May 25, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  107. J

Closet nothin ... anyone with common sense can see; not to mention she flat out said she wouldn't help the people of her home town just because they were white.

May 25, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  108. tonythebrain

Nonsense. You make things up with your inferior mind. You are what makes racism continue. You are a sick individual.

May 25, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  109. Shawn

You say she's racist..... Okay, lets see who she helped with her time and energy by making them millionaires... Dr. Phil...he's white, Dr. Oz....he's white, Interior designer Nate Berkus....he's white..... oh I get it... yeah she is racist.... LOL !

May 25, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  110. Jacob

I do not care if this idiot talk show host is racist or not. But her helping Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz just shows how stupid she is. They are both morons and so is Oprah. It shows her keen interest in supporting and promoting pseudo scientific bullcrap and her complete lack of concern for the health of her viewers. She is an arrogant horrible woman who got rich for no good reason other than many Americans are uneducated and stupid, and decided she should look good by giving money away. Never once did she seem sincerely humble or concerned with anyone else. She is an idiot and a disgrace.

May 25, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  111. phoney

i agree. she tries to hide it, but she slips up. she's also a pill to work for.

May 25, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  112. tonythebrain

You are an idiot for lying to yourself. You are, in fact, the real racist. Go ahead and admit it; you hate her because she's smarter, richer, and more spiritual than your pathetic, sorry excuse for a human being ass will ever be.

May 25, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  113. TONYTHEBRAIN

No, you are an idiot from New York. You are just mad because you're inferior in every way imaginable.

May 25, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  114. TSW

and i'm sure she's not too fond of you either! now get a LIFE hater!!!

May 25, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  115. Bee

and we hate you too....

May 25, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  116. The Mad R@p3r

@tsw,
    The real Life Haters are the liberals with their abortion and anti-abstinence talk.

May 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  117. seecolorado

Why? What have you done with YOUR life. How many millions have you given to charity? How many careers have you launched. How many schools have you build? How many houses have YOU build in New Orleans? Tell me I want to know.

May 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  118. seecolorado

Hater. How many people have you employed for 25 years? How many schools have you build? How many houses have you build in New Orleans? How many collage scholarship have you paid for? How many millions have you given to charities. How many library's have you given books to?
    How many careers have you launched. What have you done with you life?

May 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  119. The Mad R@p3r

@seeCO,
    Could you please stop cluttering the blog with copy-paste comments? It makes it hard for the rest of us to have a rational discourse about Oprah and the the liberal disease.

May 25, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  120. A.Earthling

are you for real...no, you're not!

May 25, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  121. WSOPNE

Good reddens.....

May 25, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  122. oledirtybasterd

I wonder if Beyonce was there singing "Single Ladies" to Steadman

May 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  123. WaitWhat

Alex – that was just wrong but in a case like this @sshole – well said!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Dr FeelGood

Tomorrow, due to low self-esteem, the end of the Opa Show, lack of twinkies, fatness, years of manipulation many fat women will be leaping to their deaths.

May 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Tom

It's going into reruns. Not off the air. You guys are so silly.

May 25, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  126. DMS

To: WSOPNE

"Good reddens....."

I HIGHLY suggest you join Oprah's book club and learn to spell. The word is "riddance"; "reddens" isn't even a word.

May 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Bert

Yes, it's name is Oprah.

May 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  128. kgriggs0207

Looks like summer break has started and the kids have nothing better to do than post silly comments. It's like making prank phone calls. Kids: It's summer. Go swimming, take a hike. There are so many choices.

May 25, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  129. CR

Oprah should be helping the Tornado victims with all her Millions. Right Now ASAP!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  130. C

How many millions or thousands or hundreds or tens of dollars have you used to help the tornado victims?

May 25, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  131. ab

She HAS made differences..did you see these last two shows?? I'm sure she does alot more but doesn't want people to know and no one should. People condemn her because she is black, a woman and powerful. She has worked her way up the ladder, how many of you lazy slobs can say the same? And no, I'm not black. Quit haten and volunteer!

May 25, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Rewards

She has made a difference. What percentage of your income and time do YOU give? Oprah has, and continues to donate to women and children's charities, disaster relief, AIDS research, and more. She was the founder and donated to the Miracle Network. She founded a school for underprivleged girls in Africa. She also has one billion dollars earmarked in her will for charity.

May 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  133. hannah01

Are you a moron or what? Have you not been paying attention to what this woman has been doing with her money all these years? Ticked off because you didn't get any? Hmmmm?

May 25, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Mike

Apparently you already got yours

May 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Big deal2

and you are a nuthead. whats up with all of you? why did u bother to read the post?????

May 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  136. seecolorado

SO......How many people have you employed for 25 years? How many schools have you build? How many houses have you build in New Orleans?
    How many careers have you launched. What have you done with you life?

May 25, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  137. MOH

LOL

May 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  138. @ kgriggs0207

Kids are like school in July. No class.

May 25, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  139. @ C

As much as you currently have. I would assume that amount to be a big fat ZERO.

May 25, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  140. constance dwn

Oprah has done a lot of good in this world...sure, it may not be to your particular charity, or anyone elses, BUT, she has devoted her life to making the world a better place for so many underprivleged individuals. I applaud her efforts, her candidness, her telling it like it is, sharing her own personal dramas. I like your blog. She has indeed done so much with her life, and it doesnt stop here. I like your name"seecolorado" Im from colorado and yes, its a beautiful place to see.....much luck to you...and heres t everything else OPrah is going to to do that is in the stars, that we dont even know about yet....

May 25, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |