'Glee' takes Manhattan – and our hearts
May 25th, 2011

'Glee' takes Manhattan – and our hearts

Would I praise the "Glee" season finale?

In a New York minute!

Season 2 wrapped up with the New Directions in NYC for Nationals with all the hope in the world that they would make the Top 10. Of course, being kids from Ohio, they were euphoric from being in the Big Apple and we got to see all the eye candy the city has to offer including Times Square, Central Park, Broadway and the Village.

Not surprisingly Rachel was in her element, having dreamed from her embryonic stage that she would someday make it to NYC and become a star. But she wasn't the only one. Teacher and glee club adviser Will Schuester got his moment in the sun as it looked like he really would end up leaving the kids for the Great White Way.

The entire episode had that charming "Hey kids! Let's put on a show!" vibe, and I especially loved Kurt and Rachel having "breakfast at Tiffany's" by leaning up against the building eating before sneaking into a theater to duet on "For Good" from the musical "Wicked." I know it wouldn't have worked, but part of me really wanted Kristin Chenoweth's and Idina Menzel's "Glee" characters to show up and sing along since they made that song famous when they starred in "Wicked."

Being in the city helped Rachel realize that her future was too big for her hometown – and her boo Finn. So when he tried to woo her with a night on the town and a serenade by the glee club guys of “Bella Notte” from “Lady and the Tramp" while they strolled through the Village, it was a no-go. She utters those familiar words "I just can't" and runs off. Finn should have known he was no match for the bright lights of the big city, especially after they ran into Broadway goddess Patti LuPone during dinner. I mean, it doesn't get more New York than that!

There were a few dramatic highlights along the way, including Quinn's plotting to take down the glee club to get revenge on Finn for breaking up with her. Santana and Brittany talked her into cutting her hair instead.

And Mr. Schuester couldn't bring himself to leave his teaching career and the kids to pursue his own dream of being a Broadway star. He loves them, they love him, and they were going to see this thing through together. All together now...Awwwww!

Which brings us to why we are here in the first place: the competition.

One group does a spirited version of Usher's hit "Yeah" that I have still not recovered from. Rachel runs into Sunshine Corazon (the adorable singer Charice) who is so sick with nerves that she wants to get her visa revoked and head back home to the Philippines. Rachel (who, remember, formerly tried to be rid of Sunshine by giving her directions to a crack house instead of auditions for glee club) gives her a pep talk which enables the petite star to bring the house down with the original song "As Long As You're There."

By the time New Directions is up, the air is crackling with the energy between Rachel and Finn. He wants her back and can't understand why, after all her mooning over him she doesn't want to rekindle their romance. While she assures Finn she loves him, she says she can let nothing stand in the way of her dreams. I get that.

That is, until they sing the original song "Pretending," which ends with a passionate kiss between them. Wow, that was dreamy.

But it may also have cost them a spot in the Top 10 because when they check the list, McKinley's New Directions is nowhere to be found. What?!?!? After all that we don't get to cheer for our triumphant heroes? Leave it to "Glee" to pull a stunt like that – and I loved it.

You see, the magic of "Glee" is that this group of misfits, nerds and mean girls are the perfect family of underdogs. True, it's nice to see them achieve every once in awhile, but they really pull together when faced with adversity.

Besides, we got happy endings anyway: Blaine and Kurt professed their love for each other after Kurt told Blaine the tale of the big loss and was able to focus on the bright side; we discover that Mercedes and Sam are now a secret couple (how cute is that?!?!?); Brittany and Santana are back to being besties; and soul mates Rachel and Finn reunite in the library just in time to have a summer romance.

Enjoy summer vacation Gleeks. Can't wait to see ya next season.

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. Scotty Boy

My friends and I had "breakfast at tiffanys" by leaning outside on the wall and eating dunkin donuts waaaay before this episode premiered!!!! this is awesome!!!

May 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kate

One word: BOR-ING. I guess since the glee club was writing their own songs they let them write the episode too. Worst episode of the season. Last week was soooo much better. What a let down. It made me not care about seeing next season AT ALL. Song selections: BOR-ING. Best thing about the episode? Um, nothing. This episode plays like it was crammed together by a college student the night before the assignment was due.

May 26, 2011 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. Borge

I just love the season finale it gives glee cast members something to look forward i cant wait no longer for the 3rd season! hope they're going to win this time! :-) but i guess if they're going there would be no more season to look forward to! what a struggle!:-) keep the curiosity Ryan Murphy!

May 26, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lord Tubbyton

Well I got an XL shirt, so my day was fantasitc!

May 25, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Niksipiksi

stupidest show I have ever seen. True portrayal of Americans. Stupid and ditzy and always always politically correct. Because there needs to be a gay and a fatty and a wheelchair dude and an asian and ...wait, is there a black person there too? No???? Wait damn i cant remember now. oh sh** yea there is! woohooo! Awesome job Americans!!
    Anyhow, stupid show.

May 25, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Really!?!

From the beginning, they've stressed the importance of Nationals and how important it is to be prepared. With that said, you mean to tell me they waited until the last minute to come up with a set list (original songs, mind you) for the big day? Will's story arc was a cheap ploy to plug Matt Morrison's new record? Every one of the hundreds of people in the audience thought the kiss was "common and vulgar"? Give me a break! The only good moments: Brittany's "My Cup", the Klaine "I love you", Samcedes, and Brittany's speech at the end. They need to steal Blaine from the Warblers for season 3!!

May 25, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Evel Knievel

They should push that kid in the wheelchair into the East River.

May 25, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Eric

Watch out "Glee-cap" review of the season finale of Glee! http://youtu.be/2Av7KTYCqvo

May 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Loren

Thought the show took awhile to get going, way too much of the "I'm in New York, wow!" stuff. After Rachel and Finn left the restaurant, I thought that the natural thing would have been to have them mugged. That being said, the last half hour was a good summary of what makes Glee good, the ill will, the hurt feelings, but then the pulling together even if the result isn't what they all wanted. I agree that it would have made sense for Will to spend the summer in New York, but that's a quibble, as is the kiss, which I didn't think would be met with stony silence, unless these choir geeks really do have such strict rules, but it seemed in the moment to me.

May 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unruellie

Kinda stereotypical 80s of you to suggest mugging in NYC......its not even top 10 cities with the worst crimes anymore AND DEFINITELY not in Times Square. Theres more cops (undercover and uniform) than any other corner of the small island. As a New Yorker kinda sucks to still be seen as mugging capital of the country:(

May 25, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jajing

GLEE is like dining in a fine French restaurant. The food tastes great at first, then your stomach doesn't agree with it and you have diarrhea. GLEE is exactly like that, the first season was great & then it started getting ridiculous.

May 25, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Treva

why didn't Hines get a blog after he WON DWTS?? You all have been shoving it down out throats all season but he doesn't get ANY acknowlegdment when he won?? There would have been 3 stories in Kirstie had one. Why the snub??

May 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ThapuiiRyan Royte

They look so cute!!

May 25, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LAVONYA

This episode made me want to go #2.

May 25, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. Gleek

I have to say I was disappointed with the season finale. But I am happy about Mercedes and the big mouth guy... LOL.. Looking forward to next season... I want to see more Puck!

May 25, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. sasha

Loved the final episode. I was not expecting them to win. Even enjoyed the song about brit's cup. Loved, LOVED Quinn's short fun hair. Maybe she cut away the meanness because she didn't even appear upset when finna and rachel came in hand in hand at the end. Only thing missing was Sue. I was hoping she'd give will a little balls for not even rankning top 10. Although Will chosing not to try chasing his dream, even in the summer offtime I found rather unrealsitic. I saw the Mercedes/Sam hookup begining since Prom. I totally approve. I kind of miss the Artie/Brit thing but Santana/Brit would be cool too. I really wanted to see Lord Tubbington wearing the t-shirt lol. No consice wrap up of Will and Emma, although his arm around her at the end appeared promising. All in all I think I enjoyed last years finiale more. i did enjoy the NY aspect but the songs at the end of last years seemed so much more heartfelt (somewhere over the rainbow, to sir with love)

May 25, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  16. Alex

Wow- you guys are terrible (even in knowing you're just kidding, lol). The show was great– always leaving loose ends to tie up in the next season. Kind of like that!

May 25, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  17. elm

That chubby girl is gonna eat one of those horses.

May 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. LEARNHOWTOTURNOFFYOURCAPSLOCK

(see above)

May 25, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. LEARNHOWTOSHUTYOURSTINKINGPIEHOLE

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jess

And yet... HERE YOU ARE READING AN ARTICLE ON THE SHOW and YOU'RE EVEN COMMENTING. What exactly does that say about you?

May 25, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Unruellie

Jess, he also commented on the Opray article too.....and WHO IS DONAHUE????

May 25, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Evel Knievel

The best line of the whole episode was when that horse told the cop, "thanks for not letting the fat girl ride me."

May 25, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |