Last season's 'Idol' winner not invited to finale
May 24th, 2011

Last season's 'Idol' winner not invited to finale

Don't look for Lee DeWyze to perform at Wednesday night's "American Idol"  finale results show, because the "Idol" winner from last season wasn't invited.

Though it's often considered a courtesy to bring back the former winner, DeWyze tweeted that he will not be taking the stage as part of the two-hour event.

"Hey guys, no I'm not performing at the Finale," he tweeted. "I wasn't asked to. A lot of questions so I thought I'd fill you in. Talk to you soon."

The singer and season 9 winner seemed to take it in stride, but his brother did not. Michael DeWyze sent out a tweet calling "Idol" producer Nigel Lythgoe a "scumbag" and later tweeted "@LeeDeWyze while u may be respectful about it i [sic] think its bull s**t."

Michael DeWyze went on to tweet, "People may think I'm being rude its just very obvious when someone is being treated disrespectfully..sorry bout angry tweets. Heat of moment."

Lee DeWyze's debut album,  "Live It Up," has sold poorly and reviews have been less than kind.

Entertainment Weekly said the album "suffers from vague production that strips his Adam Duritz-y growl of all humor, anger, and sexuality. It’s also saddled with a batch of tunes that are so totally generic, the font color for this review should be beige."

1. Fibialennie

sell lv bags replica , just clicks away

February 3, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. Tina

Honestly, I forgot Dewyze ever won Idol. I must have stopped watching when it got down to him and whoever.

June 16, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. Wilburt

After watching last year as Bowersox dominated the show and came in runner up I quit watching, only two deals can work in my mind. 1. the American people are tone deff or 2. the show is fixed .

June 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • brian

completely unrelated sort of– don't forget that lots of people voted twice for bush. never underestimate the "power" of the voters to choose wisely... hohoho

June 15, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. aisucks

ai sucks period. Daughtry didn't win the thing and he is more successful than any of the ai winners.

June 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tracee

Why is that stupid show still on????? Everytime I read the same line over and over again-the AI's winner's album sales are bad or non-existent. Why bother? Its a waste of time and energy. Just think of maybe a quality show or two that could make it on air if it wasn't for waste of time/space AI? I won't watch that stupid show, and I really boycot it now that greedy, self absorbed Jennifer Lopez is on there. When will it end????????????

June 12, 2011 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. loveslee

I voted for Lee on Idol and bought his CD and absolutely love his singing! His CD is filled with good songs. Hope to hear more from him.

May 28, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. idle american 1

Probably he wasnt invited because he is exactly like both Scotty and Lauren – nowhere near as takented a singer or performer as others who were voted off by the bleeding thumbs of the legionous spawn of NASCAR.

May 28, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. paula

Just goes to show you that they need to change the voting system! He won, because of the lttle tween girls, voting for the cute one. He was not the best singer last year. In fact, last year was a total snoozefest, compared to this year. Atleast this year, there were some really good singers. But again, I don't think the right person won. I believe the tweens thought he was cute. But.....he did WIN and should have been asked to come to the finale! Total snub, not very nice Nigel!!

May 27, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. LovinScottyMcCreeryToday

I don't know what all the crying is about. The did not bring back all the winners in any of the shows like they have in the past. We usually see a lot of the recent winners but not this year. Get over it. Sheesh

May 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Walter Marble

The voting system must be changed. First of all, each phone number, wheter it be landline, cell/text, gets one vote. No computer voting. This will eliminate the nerds with computer programs over-voting, and will minimize hateful voter websites urging everyone to "vote for the worst." Then, perhaps the judges should score performances like the do on "Dancing With The Stars", and then combine their 50% weighting with the audience votes 50% weighting. Not perfect, but much more fair. Still can't eliminate judge bias, though. It was obvious for several weeks if you really listened to the judges subtle (and not so subtle) comments that Scotty was the 'anointed one'. I miss Simon!

May 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Andi

The FANS voted for Lee DeWyze. So if they didn't support him after he won, and there are others who flopped too, that's not the show's responsibility. The show launches a career. It's up to them after that to sustain it.

May 26, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. apple

Should we really talk about CD sold ,who's good who's better?What is customary or tradition,producers should have atleast let the reigning champ perform, or just acknowledge that he was the last season's winner.After all, AI hasn't done anything after he was declared a winner.No publicity,promotion of the album.Even shows were just promoted poorly..Whatever it is, it is but right to invite the reigning winner!

May 26, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  13. Felmar Rowell

Before Scotty won, Lee was the reigning American Idol. He was the reigning American Idol because he won Season 9 of American Idol last year. For the Show to not invite Lee the reigning Idol to the Finale that will determine and crown his successor is for the Show to forget what it is and what it stands for, and to celebrate musical injustice against one of the nicest Idols who won the Show. We Filipino and Asian fans are so disappointed of this sad turn of events, and of this ugly disregard to the historicity of all who were and are a part of the American Idol family and show. I hope this musical injustice does not happen again.

May 26, 2011 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. Josie

I was waiting for Lee Dewyze to sing on the finale of AI. Love him now, voted for him last year, and wanted to see him this at the Idol finale. He was in it to win it and ...He won it!! Not cool dogs that he didn't perform!!

May 26, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. So Upset

I am so disappointed that Lee Dewyze didn't perform at the Idol finale. I LOVE everything about Lee... His song writing, voice,and the way he can change a song in a second to make it different and better. The Day the Earth stood still, Isabelle, Beautiful Like You, Me and My Jealousy are just a few of the great songs he wrote and sings. He is a true artist and has a brilliant talent. They say he's a really nice guy too. I am so sad that he didn't perform tonight. Shame on AII! !

May 26, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  16. Em

Lee should be performing at the finale. It is very sad that AI doesn't give their winners the respect they deserve. America voted for him. America wants to see him on the finale.

May 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  17. DENISE

I didn't watch AI last year but if Lee Dewyze won it,then they should have him on the results show.Regardless of how many albums he sold or whatever,he should still be invited.Every other idol winner has been back to the show so why not him.Also,if AI doesn't do better next year about choosing contestants,they are going to lose alot of fans.

May 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Bill

I hope Scotty wins but I think the vote will be so tight it can go either way. I think they make a great looking couple. I would not be surprised if they have a little romance going. Scotty, Lauren, and both sets of parents are from the same good ole Southern mold. Good luck to both.

May 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Rebecca

He'll be there tonight, according to his most recent tweet. Just throwing that out there.

May 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. LK

He wasnt invited because he sucks! That whole season was a bomb. Same with Taylor Hicks, he sucks too. I think AI made the right call because they know that no one really cares about this guy. I dont think Ive heard a peep from him since he won. What a waste. Im glad they saved us viewers from having to watch this guy. If you're going to invite any veterans, all you need is Carrie, Adam, Kelly, and David Cook. Maybe they could have another show for the worst idol between Lee, Fantasia, and Rubin. That would be a close one since they all suck.

May 25, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Big G

Wouldn't this be equivalent to not having the reigning Miss American on when a new Miss America is about to be crowned? Lee is indeed the reigning champion of AI, and by all accounts he certainly appears to be a genuinely nice person who has in no way brought disrepute on the AI brand. Therefore, what would be the reason to NOT have him on the show? I think the answer lays inside the AI producers' wallets. It's sad that they wouldn't support him. Shame on you AI.

May 25, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  22. Ree

Can we just watch David Cook throughout the finale and forget the rest?!

May 25, 2011 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  23. Sherri

Wow, he wasn't invited?? He's the reigning champ! Sure, I understand his album isn't doing too hot, and he is not, by far, spectacular. But American Idol not inviting him to the finale is just totally classless. Totally.

May 25, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • fanfare

Lee Dewyze was in the audience... not looking too happy, but he was there. Just not asked to perform.

May 27, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  24. GO COUNTRY MUSIC!

Actually, it would be interesting if they both won – made it a tie.. they are both very good.. no matter who wins.. they both will do well if they keep up on the path they are on tonight.. AL could do it if they wanted.. it isn't like they've sunk a lot of money into recent so called 'winners' ..

And yeal, Chrystel should have won last year..

May 24, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  25. erich2112x

They didn't think you'd still be around after rapture.

May 24, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Tom

Hey, we have to realize that Idol is geared for the the very young, even at 27 you're considered old on the show.
    Some of the greatest singers of all time didn't get famous until after 30 excluding Elvis. We need a middle age idol
    contest from 30 to 50. Then you would hear some real quality singing.

May 24, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  27. American Idol Fan

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OhwFfsOT88&w=640&h=390]

May 24, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  28. doversoul

Face it, it's always the country stars that get in the finale because the south is resplendent in huge lazy folk that do little but sit and watch tv and have nothing better to do than after the show than grab onto their greasy cells and vote for two hours after each show. (To quote House, "Oh, snap!) Just kidding. But I'm with those who said their faves got voted off earlier...3rd, 4th, etc. I loved Haley, James, and of course, Casey. All much better singers. Country music to me is silly ("you broke my heart, you're tearing me apart, so eff you") and it grinds at my very soul when it's on the radio. I can't stomach it. Those who listen to it are usually not my kind of people anyway if you catch my Union liberal not hypocritical drift. While Scotty and Lauren are sweet kids, and while I think Steven Tyler and J-Lo are good additions to the cast, I'm out. I really don't care who wins anymore and I'm really tired of the least talented always winning. (Scotty)

May 24, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • doversoul

Should have proofread before posting... Anyway, Lee should have been invited to attend the finale. Bad form, AI.

May 24, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Doversoul, you sound like the typical northern, holier than thou, butt head who thinks they know it all. lol Just kidding. Some of my best friends are yankees. lol

May 25, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Gavin Ford

Taylor Hicks? You would have to pay most people money to go see one of his shows rather than expect people to pay to go LOL!

May 24, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justine

Funny how every idol discussion turns to dissing Taylor Hicks. Probably because he's one of the most memorable from the show. Next year they'll forget about someone else and still be talking about Taylor Hicks. Hicks' tour made $4 million so obviously someone's paying to see him. Recent concert price in NYC: $55

May 24, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Baker1

I saw kd Lang do a great interview recently. When asked if she would ever lend her music to AI she said she wouldn't, because it just wasn't the kind of platform that launched really creative people. She went on to say that AI would have rejected someone Bob Dylan! There were some great contestants this year ( a little more quirky than we were use to), and I really loved them, but as usual, the silly voting system brings us to the boring finale we are left with tonight.

May 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • jross

Kd Lang said a mouthful. Why the two most boring performers are in the top two spots is beyond me. Don't ge me wrong, they can sing, certainly a lot better than most of us, but watching them while they sing a song exactly the same as the original artist with no input of their own and absolutely nothing else to make it interesting, is a big yawn.

May 24, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • sandee

These two kids have music careers facing them. Just watch...

May 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • dm nash

kd lang......now that's some awesome singing!!! Saw an early showcase at Exit Inn (and many times since) and with no microphone she shook the house. Technique, projection, originality, daring creativity and a sly sense of humor the cd's only hint at – see her live!

May 25, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Really, could you see someone like kd lang winning Idol? (even Canadian Idol, if it exists?)

May 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Sunshine Girl *

I think AI is priming Lauren and Scotty to be the next Carrie Underwood. And with the right PR and coaching they both can be very successful. And really? Does every winner have to be a pop/hip hop/top 20 singer? I think its time for a change. Country music in America is way more popular than alot of people think. I prefer rock n roll myself. But how many rockers/heavy metal singers win AI? Oh yeah..none. Good luck to both of them. The finale should be worth watching. Cant wait.

May 24, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  32. ER

YOU MEANT DOODOO PILES. That scott sings like he just climbed out of a dixie dumpster.

May 24, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Alabama Joe

I just cant stomach that Scottie. Those faces he makes while TRYING to sing are awful. His ultra deep voice is like Gomer Pyles.

May 24, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

I think the name you're looking for is "Travis Tritt", not "Gomer Pyle".

May 24, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Surfzup

Tomas... I think the name you were looking for was Randy Travis...

May 25, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Alabama Joe

That Tylor is just a HIck. Bet he heard that a zillion tines in elementary school.

May 24, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Ted

I agree with you SunshineGirl. He really isnt my favorite AI winner. I sure bet Scott wins this year.

May 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Dale

He's as exciting as watching paint dry. Sadly, the girls vote for the cutest boy available. So, just like this year, the cutest boy is sailing through, just as he did 2 years ago when Kris Allen's uber cute smile beat the amazing Adam Lambert (Idol's best male voice ever along with non-winners Clay Aiken & Chris Daughtry), and so –

SAVE AMERICA by STOPPING LITTLE GIRLS FROM USING THEIR CELL PHONES TONIGHT!

And by the way, is this "COUNTRY IDOL"??? gag...

May 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Disappointed

I am disappointed they did not include Lee in the finale this year. I've gotten to the point that I almost hope my favorite is voted off in the 3rd or 4th place slot because it seems "Idol" ruins the career of almost every winner by requiring they produce benign albums. Let Lee do an album that actually showcases his talent and see where THAT one goes. To judge him on something the "Idol" producers required is unfair. But then, what do you expect? It's Hollywood after all. Keep on keeping on Lee... you are a talented person who deserves to realize your dreams!

May 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Peace

I watch American Idol & to be quite honest, I forgot all about him. I have to agree, he did win, & really should have been included in the finale.

May 24, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  39. CandyMan

What a major dis...too bad so sad ! After all he did win !

May 24, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Cindy

Whatever your opinion is, the FACT is that he's the reigning champ and should have been included in the season finale as past Idol winners have been. He has always been appreciative of everything and was supportive of the show whenever he was interviewed. Ryan Seacrest even commented that Lee was one of the nicest people they had ever had. I just think it's a shame that it happened like this. I hope Scotty & Lauren know what they are getting into. I'll have to read about it later cause for the first time I'm tuning out of the finale and don't plan to watch next year. I'm done.

May 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mela

I totally agree. I think it was a disgrace that Lee did not perform on Idol. Ryan did not even introduce him to the audiance and Ryan stood right in front of him at one point during the show. I am a Lee fan. This has left a sour taste with regard to Ryan and whomever selects performers for the show. We could have done without the rappers and Lady Gaga. Lee would have been a refreshing addition. It was a bad move not to include him. I think he deserves an public apology.

May 26, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Sunshine Girl *

Lee Dewyze shouldnt have won in the 1st place. I really dont know what the voters were thinking at that moment. His one try at fame failed. Hes acting like AI is obligated to bring him back for an appearance. If he had been successful they mightve brought him back. But since he failed so big why would they want a loser to be on the show? Especially the finale? If it was my show I wouldnt have asked him back either. His brother also isnt helping with his smart mouthed comments. Just shut up already.

May 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigAng

The reason his album didn't sell well isn't his fault. It's the AI producers' fault. When he won, they were in charge of his career and therefore his first album. Whether or not he deserved to win wasn't his fault either. America voted for him. I hope he has better success in the future.

May 24, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Of course he shouldn't have! Crystal Bowersox was so much more talented but that's not what it's about. Sounds like his brother is bitter because Lee's winning is not turning out to be the Gravy Train he was expecting!

May 25, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

....and you call yourself Sunshine Girl? lol Sorry but your comment sounds like you're the flip opposite. Someone on here commented that most people know how to obtain music for free nowadays, which would explain the drastic drop in CD sales. Even though i'm not a fan of Lee's, his poor CD sales doesn't mean he's a "loser" or a failure, like you said. You sound like a young teenager who only follows the popular crowd. Maybe it wasn't the best idea for his brother to mouth off...but you can't blame him for being upset. I'm sure that if it were your sibling, you would be upset, too.

March 30, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  42. be quiet

This only reinforces the fact that winning this show means absolutely nothing. Lee DeWyze played a show in my town last month, and tickets were $17.50.

Millions of teenage girls vote for the cute boy (Lee DeWyze, Kris Allen), he wins, the people who come in 2nd, 3rd and even 4th (Daughty, Jennifer Hudson) go on to much bigger stardom.

May 24, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • GRock

You are so right, Taylor Hicks performed at a club in my town. I went and he wasn't that good, in fact he was pretty damn awful. I was lucky, my best bud worked for the club and I got in free. Not only did Taylor Hicks show suck, he was a diva backstage according to my friend and others that worked there. The club is also a B or C list venue as well. It was one of those shows that the more I drank, the more I liked him. LOL

May 24, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justine

@GRock Geez is there nowhere on the net where you don't take the opportunity to spread your hatred for Taylor Hicks? You make stuff up & it's getting old. But hey, at least people are still talking about Taylor Hicks, who will play 2 sold out shows in Oregon later this week.

Let's hope Lee can carry on wiothout support from idol, just like Taylor is doing 5 years later.

May 24, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • sandee

I saw him in Grease..he was teen angel...really sucked. He sang after the play...We left.

May 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

That's because American Idol for the past 3 seasons at least has always been claimed by middle American bible belt conservative christians. Any guy or girl who looks like a rocker, could be gay like Adam, has tattoos, weird hair and has the most talent will NEVER get the max votes. Just check out the runners up, always better talent and gone on to be huge success's while the actual 'idol' winner fades away.

May 25, 2011 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
    • DisneyChannelKidsWins

He was to old to appear on the final show. Only high school kids were allowed to play this year as its the new Disney Club that voted in the kids this year. I only hope that these kids will make it home to get to go to prom and finish their part time jobs at the local A&P and Ice Cream shops. :-0 The other non winners will make it in the business as they are old enough to play in bars and stay out past 1 AM.

May 26, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • BB

You're mad because the tickets weren't ridiculously expensive?

June 20, 2011 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  43. MadCityBabe

omg his brother has to tweet his nasty comment..........I think he was way out of line in his comment to the Idol producer.....honestly, who does he think he is?! and that his spout really carries any weight with anyone! I'm sure no one really will be aware of Lee Dewyze in the very near future. Besides that tweeting is really quite dumb when you think about it, it really is

May 24, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • sandee

Because he won idol afterall. Why shouldn't he be on the finale? I think it's a shame. Regardless of how poor his record sold..the fact remains...millions supposedly voted for the guy. He has gotten a bad rap. Idol should be ashamed. Now I can see it's all about the money. I don't blame his brother for sticking up for him. Do I really want to watch another sweaty perfomance of Ruben Stutter?

May 24, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Evel Knievel

Who?

May 24, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  45. BadLawn

The council has voted.. and you are the biggest loser

....wait wrong show? They're all starting to run together in my bbbrrraaaiiiinnn!!!

May 24, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  46. ofra

You see kiddies. This is what happens when one neglects to give Simon and Randy a GooberSnarling.

May 24, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |