'Idol' Top 2 perform for the win
May 24th, 2011

'Idol' Top 2 perform for the win

8:57 p.m. – Welcome back to David Cook, who sings his version of "Don't You Forget About Me."

Now I'm going to have to go watch "Breakfast Club" for like the 157th time.

8:53 p.m. – Jennifer says it's a tight race while Randy goes ahead and calls it for Lauren.

She shakes her head looking at Scotty, probably because she knows Scotty's probably got the tween girl vote on lock.

We will find out tomorrow night!

8:51 p.m. – Hey David Archuleta!

Randy gives a crying Lauren a standing ovation, and J-Lo says she thinks she might have won the competition with that performance.

She did look every inch the star with that one.

8:47 p.m. – Lauren's song is titled "Like My Mother Does."

Her mama looks like she is having quite the experience in the audience while her baby performs. Just when you think it can't get any sweeter, Lauren walks down into the audience to sing to her mother. The pair hug, and it's such a moment.

Cue the tears!

8:41 p.m. – The judges are showing Scotty some serious love.

Randy calls it "a brilliant vocal," and I agree that Scotty has grown. Scotty is super relaxed, and I am glad that he hasn't let nerves get the best of him.

8:37 p.m. – "I Love You This Big" will be Scotty's first single if he wins.

Jimmy Iovine tells him to go big. The opening line is "I know I'm still young."

Yeah, tell us about it.

The little girls in the audience are swaying all over the place. His mama is in tears, and I don't blame her as his "Idol" journey plays on the screen behind him.

Man, he sang that song well! Way to go Scotty!

8:30 p.m. – They unveil the song viewers helped to write - "Positive," sung by Taio Cruz.

Would love to tell you how it sounded, but it sounds like his microphone went out part of the way through it. Then it's back with more Auto-tune.

Oh well.

8:26 p.m. – Finally the judges weigh in.

Randy says the first two rounds were pretty even. He thinks Scotty had the slight edge in Round 1 while Lauren had the edge in Round 2.

Jennifer Lopez has kind words for them both also and agrees with Randy on how the rounds went.

Lastly, Steven Tyler gives Lauren both rounds "only because she is prettier than you" he tells Scotty.

And we are unable to escape Randy saying they are "in it to win it!" *SIGH*

8:25 p.m. –  Carrie Underwood selected "Maybe It Was Memphis" for Lauren to perform.

I'll hand it to Lauren, she's giving it her all it seems. I'm proud of the kid.

8:18 p.m. - We are now up to the celeb picks for the contestants.

George Strait selected one of his own hits "Check Yes or No" for Scotty to sing and our youngster is so in his lane with this one.

He's just a strummin' that guitar and crooning. His parents look so proud.

Next up, we learn what Carrie Underwood picked for Lauren. Is it just me or is this hour going super fast?

8:10 p.m. – So back story on Lauren's vocal issue.

TMZ was reporting that she might have to drop out because she had lost her voice. Lauren's doctor took to the stage and compared her vocal strain to a runner having a sprained ankle.

The show must go on, so Lauren selects "Flat On The Floor" to sing. Maybe it's because I know, but she seems restrained to me in her performance and a little raspy. She gives great energy though.

Flash to J-Lo's clapping standing ovation but looking slightly concerned.

8:06 p.m. –  Lauren chooses to go second, so that means first up is Scotty.

Scotty sings his favorite, "Gone" and as he strolls through the crowd methinks we spot Rick Schroder from "Silver Spoons." Fun performance.

8:04 p.m. –  During the rehearsal, Lauren blew out one of her vocal chords, but the doctor says she is fine and "will do great."

This should be interesting.

8:02 p.m. – Ryan Seacrest looks very spiffy in his tux, and the Nokia Theatre is packed!

8 p.m. – After many weeks, here we are with the finale performances.

Let's go!

1. ivan

for a final 2 american idol, it was a really boring performance to watch from both of them.
    if it was a high school talent show idol thing with student parents attending, it was a great night.
    really disappointed with AI final this year.

May 25, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Amorick

Watching NBA games, I usually catch the last two minutes of a game :-) After catching up to the last three AI contestants, so hard to believe that Haley Reinhart was voted off! What's up with that America? Obviously, she was my choice after listening to her perform. "No music, no life! Know music, know life!" ~ Haley, do what you "Know" best....God Bless You!!

May 25, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Don

I'm an old geezer, 65 years old. I have been following the show all season and Scotty has turned me into a country music fan. Win or lose tonight, that boy is going to turn into a big man in the American music business!

May 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Anne

It's really sad that " hip, urban adults" are complaining about the tween vote, country music in general and these kids in particular. Maybe you should consider that at 16 and 17 these two have accomplished more than most "artists" will ever achieve in their lifetime. How very manly and erudite to call a 16 year old "weepy eyed trailer trash". Hayseed hicks in trailers... yes, they are so sad compared to sophisticated crackhead gang members listening to rap in the big city. (if all country fans live in trailers then all hip hop fans are gang members, right?)

May 25, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • MichaelOne

Commendable. But what does any of your rant have to do with this competion? Far better performers than the were voted off far too early.

I didn't see any rappers or hiphoppers featured this season so your racist comment is misplaced as well.

The thing is rigged, intentionally or unintentionally, by the voting system.

May 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amorick

MichaelOne – Right On Point! Mega Dittos....

May 25, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MichaelOne

Hee-Haw revisited.

May 25, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. shamgar50

Stopped watching when Haley was eliminated. Now it’s just a “Corn Pone” sing-off!

May 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Fran

Worst Top 2 ever! Scotty looks like he is on zanax and lauren will keep crying for the sympathy vote!
    Last night was a total snoozefest and the judges are not judges at all since every is GREAT according to them!
    Where is Simon when you need him? If Simon was a judge this year Lauren would have been gone a long time ago.

May 25, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • MichaelOne

Scotty is one freaky dude with those eyebrows and facial expressions. Lauren is a big crybaby who shouldn't be competing for anything. She"ll be on a shrink's couch the next day if she loses.

May 25, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MichaelOne

My guess is after the AI tour, you will never hear from either one of them again.

Taylor who?

May 25, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hogman

Scotty by a small small margin. Both are fantastic talented good role models for my kids
    Gordon

May 25, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hmmmmm

American Idol = unfair. The show really wants Lauren to win. I am not convinced she hurt her vocal cords (sympathy vote) as she over-sings her sons constantly. Why not just a soft, sweet tune?? I guess because those thick headed judges like all that screaming. To give her the "Mom" song . . . damn who doesn't love their Mom and find emotion in whomever sings that song? (Emotional vote). Ah, I really don't care because she's from my Georgia. . . still the show tilted the balance in her favor. I hope Scotty earns MILLIONS!! . . . and can buy a better car than a Ford.

May 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MichaelOne

Jan... it may be inaccurate (that's your opinion). It is not stupid (since it's my OPINION.) And it's certainly not immature.

The best performers have been voted off. If it weren't for the teenage girls each voting 1000 times, Scotty would be back in East McHicskville weeks ago.

May 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • MichaelOne

OK, maybe "suck" was too strong. But they each sound like a hundred other country singers. Haley was unique. James was unique. Casey was unique. Paul was unique. Pia was not unique, but she was a million times better singer than the weepy-eyed trailer trash.

May 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CK

Lauren Alaina deserves it. Also, they had Haley waiting in the wings and rehearsing as they didn't think Lauren could perform. One of her doctors said she shouldn't sing, as it could harm her voice irreparably. She was hands down in my eyes, that voice! Scotty is a nice kid, but come on, his performances are totally karaoke! Simon would have seen through this. Go Lauren Alaina! (of course, my faves were Haley, James and Casey)

May 25, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MichaelOne

They should have been gone long ago. They both suck. What a travesty.

May 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jan

MichaelOne......what an immature and completely STUPID thing to say! Shame on you!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fran

Totally agree with MichaelOne here!

May 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flora

I hate when people say "they suck".....I don't particularly like Country Music but that doesn't mean that they suck...I just don't like that kind of music. Clearly they got the most votes so someone likes them...

May 25, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. billclay

OMFG who cares?!?!!? this show is so irrelevant anymore

May 25, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • JAD

So irrelevant people like toy still comment. It is sad how pathetic people like you are.

May 25, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • ck

yes, you watch the show and ready these articles/blogs......LMFAO

May 25, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flora

SO DON'T WATCH.....and don't read the articles...skip over it..there are a lot of other articles you can go to...

May 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tracy

Its a little scary how 1 dimensional scotty is and how he never tried or never was pushed to add other dimensions. R7b artist during the history of this show were always told to mix it up but scotty being so obsessively country is ok i guess. besides all thathe is not all that good. this is the start of the endof this show. Ironically i hope he wins to solidify the demise of this show.

May 25, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  16. Xu Quan

It bery funny show. You americans so funny. Dressing baby hippopotamus up and getting her to sing. We no have shows like this in china.

May 25, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

You also have no freedom of assembly and no freedom to criticize your government. All in all I'd rather have what we have.

May 25, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • What?

go have some rice and noodles and shut your mouth. Freedom is what we have, and we can have as many kids as we like and won't kill our girls to have the prized son!

May 25, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • K.C.

TROLL

May 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Soctty will win

Scotty will win and scotty did not tell her she won goodness where do you get that I saw the SHOW and soctty will win it

May 25, 2011 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
  18. Youssef

i seriously dont understand, this year was like packed with talent on this show, and the two that are left yes they have beautiful voices, im obliged to say that they lack any artistic individuality nor appeal, its clear that these two are going to be forced on us by the media to accept either of them, and we'll see if the runner up even even makes a 10,000 albums sales on his/her release. how can artists like jasey abrams and haleiy not make it to the finale, they're like "crazy good", do you really think that either of the two finalists can top carrie underwood or blake sheldon. although you can seriously see someone like casey abrams making a breakthrough or two. this is either of two things, a set up or america dont appreciate perfect talents

May 25, 2011 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  19. dm nash

well...sure missed that animosity 'cause I'm pretty sure Scotty whispered that she did better and won it to her at the end (with her shaking her head, no). Too bad about the vocal issue and worse the announcement- because now if she wins (like she should – and especially after tonight's final song) all u immature catty peeps that need to get a life will go on about how she didn't deserve it. fact is, she out sang him in every duet all season too.
    For a pretty lackluster finale where both sang versions that didn't vary from the originals – like they ought to by now – they both had to make lemonade from the juvenile trite lemons of songs Jimmy Iovine picked for them. Jimmy they're not 2 (this big? cutchie coo, really?) or 10/12! – they're teens....how does that compare to what Taylor Swift is charting with, please....or Disney artists?!
    Out of all the judges and mentors this season and familiarity and fondness for his productions back in the day – I really have lost all respect for Jimmy Iovine. Between the lame direction and dreadful song choices over & over (including unknown material for Haley on a voting night)....are u there to help or sabbotage. Corporate grind sell out got ya? You've lost your ears, dude! That said, they were both just OK, but Lauren had an almost "moment" that should win the prize.....PS – best 16 year old to ever make top 3 is Allison Iraheta

May 25, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  20. Pousti

Pia Toscano and James Durbin should have been in the final. They were ROBBED bigtiime! I have NO interest in watching 'hillbilly idol' this year. Lauren and Scotty put me to sleep, they're so boring!

May 25, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  21. exactaman

Beam me up Scotty. the guy is just great and much closer to being star quallity than Laren. I wanted haley to win this thing.

May 25, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  22. jross

I can't believe that chirpy reveiw – were we watching the same show? I mean that was truly awful. I don't even remember what they sang. Both of them were completely robotic, the song choices were Kraft dinner cheesy and the performances were so incredibly BORING! Good luck to both of them, they're going to need it.

May 25, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  23. jay

Scotty deserves to be the American Idol! A role-model with a great voive! We love Scotty!

May 24, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. sally

Boring, boring, boring. I like both Lauren and Scotty, but this was the most boring final performance show ever. Don't
    give a frog's fanny who wins.

May 24, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • birdseed

I agree whole heartedly. BORING BORING BORING i kept switching to watch CNN news and the replay of dancing with the stars. i can't stand Scotty's grimaces and i have lost interest in Lauren. And those songs... OMG how hokey can you get.hugs and mamas. I was so looking forward to a rock, jazz or power ballad finale. i simply no longer care who wins. amused that lee dewyze wasn't asked back to perform. crystal should have won last year anyway

May 25, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • doggone

That's why I didn't watch last night. Country music is sooooooooooooo boring. Same old, same old. My wife left me, my life stinks, I live in a trailer, my world is falling apart, blah, blah, blah. Neither one of these kids deserve to be in the finals. I'd like to see at least one of them sing a REAL song. Have them sing an Aerosmith song or ANY song other than country. Both of them have done NOTHING to impress me or anyone else. the only reason they are up there is because of their age and that's who votes, teeny boopers. UNREAL

May 25, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Amorick

Right On! Righti On! Sally, Birdseed & Doggone ~ Mega Mega Dittos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Gene

Scotty is the one GO Scotty..get out and vote for Scotty

May 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  26. angela

When did the show become hillbilly idol? Ugh, I wouldn't buy anything from either one of these hicks.

May 24, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

No kidding. This is supposed to be American Idol, not Redneck Idol. Whenever I hear country music, I think of a bunch of hayseed hicks living in trailers, or up in the mountains.

May 25, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
    • doggone

I totally agree. I (along with most of the country) HATE country music and therefore did not even watch AI last night. How two country bumpkins got in the finals I will never know. How sad

May 25, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Amorick

Right On! Mega Dittos! "Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the Soul." Country music Sucks!

May 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  27. @N

if she blown a vocal chord & is still singin then if she won the record label than she will break more vocal chords & lose her job & fame.

May 24, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sonny Polnick

It is a shame that the Lauren had to go after the American Idol vote with the annoucement that she had a "blown vocal chord". Then you add the "teary eyed look" over and over (along with the crying Mother) and you complete the pandering with the American public. Why couldn't she just compete without the "sympathy stuff"?

May 24, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • machel

So obvious they want Lauren to win. Outraged by their total ploy to make her win. But let us not forget Casey, he ultimately lost because of votes...much like Lauren will to Scotty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Suzy

I have watched them all, and that was the most underwhelming Idol finale EVER. I found all the songs a little boring and not one performance really stood out to me. I like Lauren based on all her performances on the show and will vote for her. Somehow I think Scotty will win though because while Lauren has more talent and range, Scotty's more of a one-hit, one-trick novelty and people seem to vote for that.

May 24, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Backyard Pups

As another poster put it: Scotty has that deputy dog impersination down. I didn't know so many people like that sort of thing.

May 24, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

If Scotty is a one-trick novelty, then so was Adam Lambert, David Cook, Fantasia, James Durbin, Constantine Maroulis, Blake Lewis, Chris Daughtry, Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard, Carrie Underwood... I can keep on going. Just because his niche is different from theirs that does not make him any less talented.

May 24, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evilqueen620

Hate to burst your bubble Suzy, but the FINALE isn't until tonight.

May 25, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Flora D'Orazio

I agree....I am not crazy about Scotty (Country Music) but he will do fantastic in Nashville. He will have a very long career in the Country Music field. I don't agree that he is a one hit wonder....I also think that Lauren will win. She is much easier to "mold" into what American Idol wants. Scotty has been very stubborn about who he is and where he wants to be so he won't be easy for them to contol which direction he goes in....

May 25, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Peace

You have to vote for Lauren to win, though. Scotty has won the hearts of the little girls & they're all voting for him now.

May 24, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Michael

Lauren's pandering made me want to puke. They were both boring tonight, but at least Scotty has some pride.

May 24, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • jo

But Scotty's didn't? When he sang 'Where Were You', Alan Jackson's song about 9/11 after bin Laden was taken down? When he sang to his mother last night, and she was in full tears (with the camera person standing 2 ft. in front of her)? Your comment doesn't hold water.

May 25, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  32. ellie

I agree. Lauren won.

May 24, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Cass

I think Lauren just won it. That song was incredibly beautiful.

May 24, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  34. bonniegirl

Holy smokes. This is the best out of the 2 original songs! Man, anyone can take the win. Can't wait for tomorrow night!

May 24, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  35. GinaB

Wow – Lauren Alaina. She is the idol.

May 24, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  36. gus

This country music final is just so boring, unchallenging and unexciting.

May 24, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • jross

Oh Gus you said it. At least if you're going to sing country make it good country and maybe add a bit of some small iota of creativity and performance to it.

May 25, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Amorick

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

May 25, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Doldrum

Anyone as sick as I am of hearing Randy say "You're in it to win it" ? He needs to be replaced!!!!!!

May 24, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • jasonp

Not only does Randy need to go, but the whole show should just be taken off the air. It is boring and a lot of people are getting sick of it. So tired of amateur hour.

May 25, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Flora D'Orazio

Man do I agree with you 1000%. Thank God the season is over cause if I have to hear that one more time I may do some damage to my television set by throwing something at it!!! lol

May 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Laura

That was probably the BEST song they have chosen as a contestant's first single-way to go Scotty! I like both of these finalists-always liked Lauren the best though-hope they picked a great song for her too. Go Lauren!

May 24, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Greg

I read CNN when I need to get up-to-date with the latest establishment propaganda.

May 24, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. bb

Scotty = Boring

May 24, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Scotty "George W" McCreery

Hilarious pictures of Scotty McCreery comparing him to George W. Bush below:

spaceemperor.blogspot.com/2011­/05/your-next-american-idol-is­-scotty.html

May 24, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Greg

Lauren is risking permanent voice damage by continuing to sing after "blowing her vocal chord". I think the reason she looks a little sad is that she knows the risks. It's possible that she will gain "rasp" that won't heal. The producers probably gave her an option on withdrawing but she decided to risk EVERYTHING for the show's sake.

May 24, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  43. csnsc

Just not in the mood for 'The Grand O'l Opry'

May 24, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Peace

Both of these kids are headed to a fantastic future ! I still like Lauren the best ! I hope she wins ! BTW, 4 hours of voting tonight.

May 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Greg

There seems to be some animosity between the two contestants. At one time there was a rumor they were dating each other. Perhaps their relationship went sour?

May 24, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evilqueen620

Did you see something I didn't, because they appeared to be great together.

May 25, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  46. Dan

they should both win!! i feel bad for lauren but no way in hell would i surrender my songs the the even more raspy Haley!

May 24, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  47. BB

Lauren is a natural. Most pros only wish they had that tone. Lauren – all the way!

May 24, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Darn

I wish Lauren will win because she is way better than Scotty. She could sing any type of musics comparing to Scotty whom could only sing country music.

May 24, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Lauren or Scotty

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OhwFfsOT88&w=640&h=390]

May 24, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  50. bonniegirl

I'm pretty sure this kid is going to win it. Goosebumps.

May 24, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Brocklee

Lauren is really good....

May 24, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Cass

Lauren did pretty well on her first song for having a blown vocal cord

May 24, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  53. bonniegirl

Wow, George Strait picked for Scotty! Pretty exciting for him... And he's frickin doing awesome so-far tonight!!!!

May 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • cdnchickie

I don't care who wins........love love love them both :)......

May 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • KayBrown

The most somnabulistic finale in the show's history.

In contrast to the thrills and excitement of Ruben/Clay or Carrie/Bo, this was an embarrassment.

George Strait's narcissistic and childish choice of song for Scotty deprived all of us, and presented the Country genre at its worst.
      Both Lauren and Scotty deserved higher calibre songs from both their "idols" and from Jimmy Iovine. When Kelly Clarkson sang "A Moment Like This" or when Carrie Underwood sang "Angels Brought Me Here" or when Taylor sang "Do I Make You Proud" or even when David Cook sang "Time Of My Life" – the American Idol franchise was legitimized. For these songs? I switched the channel to "The Biggest Loser."

May 24, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |