Timberlake and Gaga make 'SNL' ratings record
May 23rd, 2011

Timberlake and Gaga make 'SNL' ratings record

Justin Timberlake and Lady Gaga definitely brought their star power to "Saturday Night Live" this weekend.

Ratings for the season finale were up 21 percent from last year, according to a statement from NBC, and were the highest season finale ratings since the Olsen twins hosted the show in 2004.

Credit host and "SNL" favorite Timberlake, who took his Omeletteville character on down to Liquorville, reprised his role as Robin Gibb on "The Barry Gibb Talk Show," and appeared alongside Andy Samberg in "3-Way," a hilarious follow-up to their popular "D— in a Box" and "Motherlover" music videos.

Of course, having Gaga as the show's musical guest didn't hurt. Besides flexing her funny bone in several skits, she also "gave birth" on stage while performing her hit "Born This Way."

What did you think of the Timberlake/Gaga season finale? Tell us in a comment below.

1. I prefer this post, enjoyed reading this one regards for adding.

I think the 2008 structured Joba plan was even dumber than the 2009 non-structured Joba plan. I dont want starters being forced to be skipped multiple times, and I dont want starters being transitioned from the bullpen to the rotation midseason.

November 17, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. Puff Jackie

I have been watching SNL since it began in 1975, and this was the most entertaining show, from beginning to end, in 36 years.

May 30, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Truth in thought

While I am, in no way, shape or form, a Lady Gaga fan, I have read this blog and come to a singular conclusion. If I take all the opinions, debates, and theatrics and combine them with LG's make-up, dress code, performances and written jargon about her, one thing stands true. Lady Gaga is exceptionally successful, exceptionally wealthy, exceptionally powerful, and exceptionally loved by her fans, This makes her exceptional at what she does. And whether the comments on here speak well of her or ill of her, they are all of her which means she has caught all of our attention for a moment at least.

May 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Suechip

Congratulation Superhiro. You've just won the award for the stupidest comment on this thread! By far. You must have so many people in your life who think you're a complete moron. Do you even listen to yourself?

May 24, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Superhiro

I don't get all these people saying Gaga has a great voice. If she does, she's not using it because she sounds almost identical in every way to the other trash pop singers of her genre. I can't tell any of her songs apart from Ke$ha or Katy Perry songs. I actually believe they're all secretly the same person. Just like Jewel and Ricky Martin.

May 24, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Plasticville

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OhwFfsOT88&w=640&h=390]

May 24, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mario

I can't stand Justin TImberlake. He's smug, arrogant, and overrated. Just because a ton of stupid teenagers tuned in to watch SNL does not mean that the episode was worth anything. Also, ladies of Hollywood get a clue, you aren't real people to him you're just a temporary possession.

May 24, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Siskind

Jealous much, Mario?! Wow. Smug, arrogant and overrated? Justin Timberlake is none of those things. Not even close. He's a very kind, humble and extremely talented guy. You obviously know nothing about him. You don't need to bring good people down to try to bring yourself up. Seriously.

May 24, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. @N

They r both g@y!!

May 24, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Whatever

Why can we not debate everything and just give a quick opinion. I am not a big fan of Lady Gaga but loved the show and Justin was very funny along with Lady Gaga .. she has a sense of humor ..

May 24, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bill

SNL stinks. Plain and simple. I'd love to see Lorne get canned and hire some new talent. I can't even watch the show anymore.

May 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. GaGaGarbage

Lady Gaga is like the b*stard child of madonna and maralyn manson. Her voice and instrumental ability are average at best. It just goes to show that in the current cesspool of "artists" in today's music industry, even the biggest hacks can sell if they're marketed right. She sells because she plays off the emotions of society's rejected. As long as people identify with what one sings about, regardless of how terrible it is, it will sell. I'm just saying, if she had no shock value, she'd have no career. Why do you think she kept failing as a singer until she started dressing like a freak?

May 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gary Sea

Its no wonder Lady Gaga...Stephanie Germanotta...ignores critics and simply focuses on her passion of being a pop musician, singer, lyracist, songwriter, performer, etc. All the criticism in world can not detract from her popularity, fame, uniqueness and impact in entertainment. Aside from all the above, I've heard the sincerety and honesty as she described all she has endured and all that its taken to get and remain where she is. She is not the best vocalist, nor the best pianist, nor the best dancer, nor the best lyracist, nor the best songwriter...but she does all of it quite very well indeed; she is literally a complete entertainer. And I'm certain she has additional performing talents that will become evident fairly soon. Simply stated, Lady Gaga is a complete and passionate artist.

May 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MrManny

I'm just still amazed by Lady Gaga, she's truly an entrepreneur. She knows how to promote herself and get cash left and right!!!

May 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Commentville

BRING IT ON DOWN TO COMMENTVILLE !!!!

May 24, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Irish Lady

I thought the entire show was one of their best. All the SNL team members were at their best! The skits were funny. It was a treat to see JT and Andy together again singing a new song – 3-way – too funny. I thought Lady G showed her funny and humorous side and I thought she fit right in to the SNL cast and spirit of the last show for the season. Overall – very well done and very funny!

May 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Tom

The show was GREAT

May 24, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. MikeB

Madonna's supportive of Lady Gaga and is supportive of the song "Born This Way" so the complaints are pointless. The song sold very well.

Lady Gaga is to Kobe Bryant what Madonna is to Michael Jordan and there's nothing wrong with that.

While she doesn't sing as well as Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, Christina Aguilera, etc. so what. She sings better than Kesha, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc. and those are the current big sellers along with Gaga.

Stefani's intelligent, intellectual, and talented. And she has a huge fan base and so it doesn't matter much if a lot don't like her music or her, she's super famous and a megastar.

May 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. LOL

Lady Gaga, aka Stupid Music for Stupid People

May 24, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jocko

Lady Gaga is childish crapolla..people get some freaking tastes. NO TALENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 24, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Charlie is WINNING and all of you are LOSING.

I dont watch the CrapFest that is SNL. Its a TurdBucket.

May 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  21. trigtardtwit

snurt, gortle, drool...(I just crapped my diaper)

May 24, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  22. lance corporal

OK, timberlake is great and it was a good show, a bit too heavy on repeating old ideas, MOST of the skits where rehashes, that's too much, FALLON SUCKS!!!! why would they have him back on? for once he didn't ruin a skit by laughing etc but who likes this guy? he is just not very good, that was the only real disappointment. gaga was pretty good in the sketches, the vocals sounded good on the first song, the second song was such a madonna rip off I was able to sing a madonna song along with it and it synced right up, just ridiculous. my wife was saying she's not so bad and then i started singing and she looked over at me shocked, the melody,beat everything was almost dead on the madonna song, just blatant thievery.

May 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Charles Rocket

the show was a good one overall. Timberlake is great on the show. I'm not a fan of his music but he does a pretty good job acting and doing the comedy stuff on SNL. I don't care for Gaga's music and I don't really get the appeal of her in general. She seems to go out of her way to Shock people and that gets pretty tiresome.

May 24, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  24. deb

It's about time that SNL produced a FUNNY show. It hasn't been worthy of the late-night stay up and watch for a LONG time......

May 24, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Pryor

Lady Caca absolutely lip sings, are you kidding? Most of her concert performances she is lip singing. Get a clue and take your Caca blinders off. She's average on the piano and her songs suck. Plus she's beastly as hell.

May 24, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Richard Allen

Still not a fan of Gaga's music, but over the last couple of months she's become a human being to me and not just a random lunatic as some people view her. Sure she has her moments where she is kind of an ass to people, but I think we all do that. For the most part, she seems like she'd be a cool person to hang out with minus all the press and celebrity crap. While I may not go for her type of music (more into alternative and rock) i can still appreciate her as an artist not only for her music but for the way she expresses herself. Not everyone likes it, but still. An artist will express regardless of who likes or hates.

May 24, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Hoopty

Lady gaga is just another flash in the pan. She's what's hot right now but by years end someone else will take her place and she will just be an old timer in the biz.

May 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Tom D

Not nearly as funny as his last two appearances. The opening skit was so obvious, it was painful. The highlight of the show was the "What's my name?" skit.

May 24, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  29. mikoid

"You're drinking what they're selling."

May 24, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  30. Ricky Bobby

Guess what – GaGa lip syncs. It is just not possible to that strenuous of dance choreography and still sing. For definitive proof, google the video clip of her falling off the piano bench at her concert – the "singing" doesn't miss a beat. That being said, I still enjoy her music.

May 24, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  31. runmom

I thought the finale was hilarious – although I do believe that part of Gaga's performance was lip-synced.

May 24, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  32. Heywood_Jablowme

SNL licks the sweat off a dead man's balls...it died in the very early 90's...

May 24, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  33. MaryinPA

I have not watched SNL since the John Belushi days and I tuned in Saturday night. Loved it!!!!!

May 24, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  34. the buttful diddler

sorry, i was too busy getting buggered when i heard the performance. perhaps i will listen again and reevaluate my life.

May 24, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  35. growup

It's funny that people who don't like Gaga, Timberlake, SNL, or even entertainment articles are commenting on this. If you don't like it or don't care, why would you click on the article and read it? It amazes me how people will go out of their way to complain about something.
    Art and humor are in the eye of the beholder. No artist or comedian will ever click with everyone and some of the greatest are also some of the most polarizing.Personally, I liked both JT and Gaga, but I respect the opinions of those who don't. I just don't think it's fair to not consider someone an artist just because what they do doesn't suit your tastes.

May 24, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  36. iamthefredman

Lady Gaga suffers from what most of today's "artists" suffer from; failure to perform good music. She is a classicly trained NYU-educated musician. Great. She has a really beautiful voice. I only heard her sing once at the piano only and she was great. Great. Here's her problem (and the problem of Christina Aguliara, Rihanna, etc. pick one) ; they sing crappy, overdone, poorly written songs with cheesy 9th grade lyrics and way overproduced "performances". If any of them would just sing a song with mature lyrics and a reasonable amount of music (piano, drums, guitars, bass) maybe they would sound better and perform better and appeal to more than just my 11 year old daughter. And the public and stage antics are so juvenile. Please stop. Just sing.

May 24, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  37. Terrie

At 71 I'm not exactly their targeted demographic but I must say it was one of the most entertaining shows of this or any other year. The JT I knew [James Taylor] has been supplanted and overtaken by today's JT [Justin Timberlake] in both fame, fortune and, I fear, even talent. That kid can sing, dance and act and will be around for a long time. When he teams up with one of the SNL comic geniuses like Samberg or Fallon it's pure gold. And Lady Gaga was surprisingly good in the sketches. Who knew she could act too! Long live SNL!

May 24, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  38. Robert Stevens

I'm a somewhat jaded SNL viewer but this was probably the best episode I've ever seen of the show. Hats off to Justin Timberlake especially. He has been stellar every time I've seen. Very, very good episode!

May 24, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  39. Doodee Pot Pie

WOW...impressive numbers! Did Gaga whip out her jew weiner and slam Justins ass on live tv?

May 24, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  40. erich2112x

Record delays were also reported on the 405 when commuters slowed to view a semi roll-over.

May 24, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  41. chico

Lol.

May 24, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  42. chico

Gaga rocks. Quit hating on her because you like listening to norah jones and coldplay garbage. Jt is wack and washed up. Just ask bieber. And gaga is way better than madonnas garbage. This world would ne a lot better without madonna music and oprah on tv.

May 24, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  43. That ain't no woman! It's a man, man!

Big props to JT. He has shown a wide array of talents since his boy band days. The same thing can't be said about gaga. She is horrendous. gaga is just as bad as some other so-called singers such as fergie and gwen stefani. Nothing but the marketing of a freakshow of mind-numbing noise. I listen to all kinds of music all the way from classical to current and gaga's stuff is not music. It is nothing more than shameless shock to rile up the zombies. Real singers are like Whitney Houston (pre-cocaine binge), Chrissie Hynde, Ann Wilson, Stevie Nicks, Aretha Franklin, and Etta James just to name a few. Her junk will blow over in no time and she will be forgotten in time like all the other talentless hacks.

May 24, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  44. Rider

She was great. Especially in her skits. He was funnny but overall nothing super exciting

May 24, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  45. Whit

I watched this episode and loved it. In fact, I watch any episode Justin Timberlake hosts because brings a certain charm to the show. The Barry Gibb show skit was the best and will always be a classic.
    As for Lady Gaga, I've never been her biggest fan. I think the outfits are strange and are used for attention getting–however who can argue that they aren't working? She does have a wonderful voice and I love what she stands for. After watching an interview with her that Barbara Walters did, I gained a lot of respect for her. She's a very intelligent woman with a lot of talent. After she came out with the song Born This Way, I gained even more respect for her. So while her stage birth kinda freaked me out a little, I still gotta respect her. Also–she was hilarious in 3 way!

May 24, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  46. Lil Monster Rachel

Best SNL in a long time. Who knew Gaga could be so hilarious? I just wish she'd tone down the theatrics just a notch (or 5!). She's a great singer, songwriter and musician, she doesn't need all the exuberance and it only detracts from her talent. Still love Mama Monster!

May 24, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  47. gene

Lady GaGa and Justin Timberlake are a breath of fresh air for their generation They are intellegent and extremly talented. Also, they have a gift to entertain. I feel the same about Jimmy Fallon I've been a dedicated SNL fan since its conception I'm female pre baby boom generation. Over the years I've noticed how comedy and music artists reflect their generation. The past 10 – 15 years it has become stupid,silly, tastless & insulting. It reflects the generation of the time. I still tune in each Saturday. My grown daughters roll their eyes when I tell them who is going to be on SNL

May 24, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  48. Bobba Fett

It's so funny when people say LG has "talent" or talk about her "classical piano" training. They have no idea what talent is. I've heard and watched her sing and play live, and yeah.. But I guess these days if you can sellout every concert and every song is a hit, who needs musical talent. ::facepalm::

May 24, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  49. j

Not a huge fan of gaga but she played well in skits on SNL and Timberlake was great. Glad to hear SNL pulled in some good ratings. Maybe it won't go the way of soap operas that way.

May 24, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  50. dougbalt

I am a regular snl viewer and love the current cast. I have to say this particular show was the worst one of the season...they focused too much on jt...bypassed all the real stars and bits the show usually features. Too bad they went out on a thud.

May 24, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  51. ftroy01

All you haters out their remember this you low lifes (who apparently know nothing at all about current!!! music first you have to get out of the 70's and 80's this is not that time) this woman could care less what you think as she laughs all the way to the bank. I am old in my 50's she is the best out their right now period!! and I like her

May 24, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  52. Mia

"It's not gay if it's a 3 way" Best SNL ever!

May 24, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  53. SW

The Digital Short (3-way) would've been just as hilarious with anyone else playing the girl, but Gaga nailed it without overshadowing another awesomely funny performance by JT and AS.

May 24, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  54. Lestat

"Born this Way" is a subtle ripoff of "Express Yourself"

May 24, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  55. Lindsey

I cannot stop laughing when I see Gaga dressed up as a wine bottle and JT as a beer! Funny stuff

May 24, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  56. Patrick

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder!!!

-Palin 2012

May 24, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

CaPiTaLiZiNg StUfF nEeDleSsLy iS aLsO a mENTAL dISORDER.

-Palin 2040(she'll be smart enough by then,sure)

May 24, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • trigtardtwit

Sarah Palin is a stinking, steaming pile of maggot infested trailer trash. And I should know, she's my mother.

May 24, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  57. IanN

Who cares if Gaga was classically trained or not? – her music is trite & cliché Top 40, that is mediocre and forgettable.

May 24, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  58. charlie crack

Both have great talent. Funny too. All you haters eat a "d*** in a box" its a new franchise from jack in the box! Mmmm haters......

May 24, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  59. Bel

Can you say Emmy boys and girls?

May 24, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  60. ck1540

Do u all know that gaga has been writing songs for brittany spears, and many others for years. She composes, arranges, and produces also. She may be "weird" but definitely talented. She also has a powerful anti bullying stance as well as other good causes for kids and has positive messages about self esteem and believing in yourself. Watch her interview on fuse channel. Madonna never wrote anything in most of her early career and has always been a bit self centered and aloof. She may have taken a page from madonnas book, but she sure re wrote most of the chapters.

May 24, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  61. Name*atshuki

why i can do it?

May 24, 2011 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  62. FYI

I just read about 142 comments of people crying over some actors and a tv show I've heard of once like five years ago. And I go over to the politics to see what people have to say? Nadda. Good to know our united states citizens pay attention to the important things in life.

May 24, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  63. Name*atshuki

thanks for information & support

May 24, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  64. james dulong

Justin and Gaga were great, without Bill Hader...average.

May 24, 2011 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  65. Froots McGee

I liek turtles. Also, anyone who criticizes Lady Gaga's musical ability is as ignorant of music and theory as Helen Keller.

May 24, 2011 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  66. DizzyG

Dat huey is fine!!!

May 24, 2011 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
  67. corrina

Gaga bashing? music lessons?. i bet she is laughing all the way to wells fargo or wherever she banks. your nasty comments make no sense

May 24, 2011 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
  68. Wayne

I'm twice as old as JT and I don't like most of the young "entertainers" but JT seems to be pretty cool. He's funny as hell on SNL.

May 24, 2011 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  69. Ted Nugent

Both were way above average. Great show. Sign them up for opening fall season !!

May 24, 2011 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  70. dave nelson

Damn you CNN! You have now failed to post fully seventy percent of my comments overall. Each post i try to add is honest and direct criticism or a well thought out opinion, which you refuse to post, all the while posting some of the most inane ramblings from truly ignorant folk. Whats wrong? Does intelligent conversation from individuals frighten you?

May 24, 2011 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  71. darkenedwings77

If its nielsen ratings, the the household viewing averages were actulally that high. as a telecommunications student i can believe it. as someone who severly dislikes popular music i cant.. however ratings and shares are how the business model works. thats a fact jack

May 24, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  72. Bgg1175

So, what ratings record did they set? Its not a record just because its the highest since 2004, so what exactly are you talking about? If youre just throwing out headlines to get people to read why not be even more creative since you dont care about facts. What about "Timberlake and Gaga on air fist fight brings record ratings for SNL!" or "Timberlake and Gaga die in on air accident on SNL, ratings soar to record heights! Seriously, I've noticed these creative headlines more and more at this site. Are you fact or fiction?

May 24, 2011 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  73. Chasler

That was a lie

May 24, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  74. Chasler

I work at snl she lip sang after she drank a half pint of whiskey and a few pills of oxy contin.

May 24, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  75. Daniel Penk

WIth the popularity that swarm around Gaga and TImberlake, it would be nice if they used their bodies and voices to edify Jesus instead of them selves. They know the huge crowd that listens to them and tries to follow their moves/lyrics. It would be a joy to hear about such celebrities encouraging youngsters to follow what the Bible says about many of the things Gaga and Timberlake condone in their songs and movies.

More over these celebrites know what kind of influence they have on people, but Gaga and Timberlake use their status to encourage their followers or "Monsters" to follow Jesus.

May 24, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  76. mity f.

This year was awesome!!! justin timberlake is so hot and lady gaga rocked it all the way good job guys!!!!! :)

May 24, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  77. bill

I watched gaga with an open mind

She just is not that good. Trying to be Madonna but not as good. Over exaggerated stage show, ok song. She is doing a Madonna cover. Madonna was actually pretty good. She could write, sing, dance. Gaga can't really dance, ok writing and maybe an ok voice.

She may be able to play piano, her stage thing is pretty, what is the word, contrived?

Of course she has her following, she is the rage right now. This is what the fans are being sold. I do not knock her success

May 24, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  78. c0ntent_pessimist

What a flaming bag of dogshlt, left on Americas doorstep Gaga is.
    If you want to see where Lady Gagme got her inspiration from watch this video
    watch?v=MDO4g9THrQ0
    Dale Bozzio already did her act in the early eighties and was a better vocalist and better looking as well. Most of their videos were done in a live vocal/band setting with very minimal (if any) sound tweaking, what a concept.

May 24, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  79. jd wolff

Im angry sketch comedy is a thing of the past.im angry im so angry im angry sketch comedy is making me so angry

May 24, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  80. dretta

can people stop comparing lady gaga to Elvis and MJ? these people are all in different tiers and in taste that varies from generation to generation. i like gaga mostly for her high energy music.. MJ for his earlier hits and i would always choose an Elvis song to slow dance to. lady gaga needs to slow down on her antics before she gets photo graphed holding a baby over a ledge otherwise she is creating good fun club music and that's pretty much how far her style is taking her.. (but i'd still listen to it over beiber :P)

May 24, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  81. Justin

I think Gaga has some great tunes..You and I from the new album is fantastic...I wish she'd write more songs in that vein..rather than so many dance heavy tunes...as for SNL..that has to be the most unfunny show on network television...I felt it was embarrasingly unfunny. When you think back to the days of the original cast from the 70's or to the 80's with Eddie Murphy, there is just no comparison..those old shows were comedy genius...nowadays, it's a sad excuse for humor.

May 24, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  82. Arturo

Lorne Michaels found her good enough to have her perform on the show. It's a good thing that some of you don't call the shots around SNL because it would probably be stale. I think it's great that they bring sometimes barely known artists to perform as well bigger names. It'd be a shame if the producers thought like some of you haha.

May 24, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  83. Intransit

So far as Lady Gaga is concerned, I will say this- Jackie Gleason once said: "He can't last. I tell you flatly, he can't last." -He was talking about Elvis.

May 23, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Ronnie Harper

HA! That was a fantastic SNL, and Lady was fabulous. Good season all around!

May 23, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  85. cali

Young mOney

May 23, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  86. DERRICK

GAGA=MADONNA CLONE

May 23, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  87. cara

whoever it was that said gaga was lip syncing or singing back up to her own track...its because she was dancing, moron. It WAS, however, all her while she was on the piano, and it was beautiful.

May 23, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • here'saclue

She dances and wears makeup and lipsyncs for a couple of reasons. The first is because her music isn't strong enough to stand on its' own, without all the bells and whistles that you fickle and ignorant pop fans are so used to. The second is... Oh wait, nevermind, no... There was just the one.

May 24, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  88. B lo me

Saturday Night Live (SNL) is well past time to go its not funny anymore its just stupid. The show has made alot of stars, but now its laughable that people still find this show funny.

May 23, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • WVL

So let us get this straight B lo, u say the show should have been cancelled a long time ago because it's stupid and not funny. So does that mean you watch the show to know it's not funny? If so, why do you watch it should have been dumped years ago? And if you don't watch it, then how do you know it's bad?

May 23, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  89. kg

so what was the "record"?

May 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  90. dave

justin timberlake is the best host they have ever had and you got to give it to lady gaga she has game

May 23, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • thepark

Dave, there have been A LOT of really great hosts over the year. But I have to totally agree with you. Justin, for me, is now the greatest SNL host ever. He's great at everything he does.

May 23, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  91. tinkerboo

Didn't get to see SNL. KCMO viewing area to the west and south was under a tornado warning. Continous weather coverage.

May 23, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Mike K.

Until I saw her Monsters Ball – Madison Square Garden concert on HBO, I thought she was a look and all fluff.
    I now stand corrected and eat humble pie. That concert was amazing. Comparisons between her and Madonna are unfounded and based on ignorance. Madonna wasn't a half bad dancer but that was it. Everything else was created around and for her. Gaga IS a bonafide talent, a multi-instrumentalist, a great commerical/pop song writer, has a great set of pipes not to mention very very good pitch. She is an artist and a show with a wonderfully theatrical flair, an extremely hard-working performer and, a very fine entertainer. I salute her. She deserves ALL of her success.

May 23, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  93. fared

If this is the future of entertainment then I'd rather be stuck watching reruns forever.

May 23, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  94. philtration

If GaGa was half as talented as you claim then she would not need the freak show diversion.
    I am not saying she is dumb for going that route. If she did not then no one would have ever noticed her.
    It worked for Madonna and made her a rich woman even though she is marginally talented at best and this is just more of the same.
    "Look at me! My underwear is on the outside!"

Seen this tired act already but there is a whole new crop of teenage girls who have to have their own version so here she is.

May 23, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Bre

Thought it was great! Three way was hilarious as was the Liquorville. Good work!

May 23, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  96. usernameharryjoyce

I 've already said that the SNL finale show was the best show they've done in a decade. JT always sells it hard on SNL and the video with Andy Samberg and JT are always in sync (pun intended). One of the funniest skits I've ever seen was with JT in black F-me pumps and leotard singin and dancin. Gaga was intertaining as usual performing "Born this way" which I liked it better the 1st time when they called it "VOGUE" (Madonna rip off or tribute?)

May 23, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  97. CeCe

First SNL I've watched in years – absolutely love Lady Gaga so that was my reason to watch, but JT was fabulously funny – loved the show. BTW, I'm a 60+ year old fan of Lady Gaga – she's the real deal and a great human being who really cares about people and doesn't criticize anyone for being different. Maybe some of the bashers on here should take a lesson from her.

May 23, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  98. steve von

Chris farley and patrick swayze as chippendales dancers! Classic snl!

May 23, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Believer

I used to watch it every Sat. When it was funny and original. It has grown stale and I don't bother with it at all. Loved "THe Not Ready For Prime Time Players".

May 23, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  100. moiaussi

Steve Martin was the ultimate SNL host.

Now I think it's Justin Timberlake.

May 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  101. mejazzbo

A big step up from the Olsen twins.

May 23, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  102. steve von

Pat boone! Tiny tim! Leif garrett! Justin timberlake! Its over!

May 23, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Name

Comments

May 23, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  104. faceonmars

You can spin it anyway you want. SNL is simply not funny anymore.

May 23, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • carrillo

Is that a fact or an opinion? Let's see if you know the difference.

May 23, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Geminigirl

I have to agree with Norge & say that this SNL was absolutely the funniest in many, many years!! It was laugh-out-loud funny – & that doesn't happen too often! To those who missed it, I think it can be seen on hulu.com
    To Brandywine1921 I also agree that Timberlake should get an EMMY for this week's show. How can we make it happen? Can people begin a tweet on this, sort of like that guy that got Betty White's long career jumpstarted again?? (I don't tweet but perhaps OTHERS CAN??) Thanks!

May 23, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Peace

Hey Superhiro! Where is everyone ? They aren't still beating up Lloyd Christmas are they ? Lol !

May 23, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Tim

Now. Now. Yall dont need to be doing this. Saying bad things about people in todays US just isnt allowed. You might offend someone. Now we dont want to be offending anyone.

May 23, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Ava

I fell asleep on the sequel to bleep in a box.. Come in down to liquor ville!

May 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Diane

I think it's a shame that after a DISMAL season, SNL gets it's ratings from recycling old skits. Time to breathe NEW life in to this show!

May 23, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

What they need is a new cast. Nobody on this current cast is a breakout star and barely any of them are consistantly funny.

May 23, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Superwife

oh and the bee gees with jimmy fallon was HILARIOUS!!! i love it when they do that skit!!

May 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Superwife

I wish JT would be a regular for at least 1 season if not maybe 2. He is great. and Lady Gaga...LOVE HER!!!!!!! I think she did great in those skits. Not to keen on her new album but she is something this generation is in need of. She might be alittle over whelming at times, but shes not in trouble with the law and she speaks her mind. You go girl.

May 23, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Jeff

To CatKat Sings: I'm sure what you wrote about Lady GaGa could have been said about Madonna at the start of her career.

May 23, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peppy

Lady GaGa is a rip off of Madonna. Just listen to Born this Way – remind you of "Vogue" a little bit??? Madonna started out the same way – outlandish outfits, underwear, etc. Everyone dissed Madonna and look how far she got!! :0

May 24, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  113. tone kinchloe

I have no issues with timberlake..talented and diverse..Lady Gaga? lol Girl make it while u can. I like listening to music/bands perform not someone who has to go thru many wardrobe changes while singing well off key. She is good in studio where they can do things with her voice...on stage? give me a fkn break.

May 23, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  114. madhater

The funniest thing TimberB!tch ever did was cry on punked.

May 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  115. CatKat Sings

Justin Timberlake is very good at comedy. Probably because he's naturally a funny man. Lady Gaga is not multi-talented, she's a joke. She's not anything special, just a bad dresser and someone that likes to wear her undewear as clothes. She'll be gone one of these days, and we'll all just look back at the singer with the ugly shoes and bad make-up. As for the future of SNL, I think it's time is over as well.

May 23, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  116. the_dude

I stopped watching snl when it stopped being funny.....about 15 years ago

May 23, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  117. levelhead

I'll first say that I'm no fan of Gaga's music, but to claim that she is untalented or "needs music lessons" is simply ignorant and spiteful. She is a clever songwriter and a proficient rock pianist, and it goes without saying that she knows how to entertain. I'll probably never put a dime in her pocket, but she has my respect as an artist.

May 23, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • deadisol

Spiteful would be if I said I hope her uterus rots and falls out. So she can't bring another human life into this world.

May 24, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  118. DE

The best SNL year was 1975, the 1st year. They haven't come close since.

May 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  119. steve von

Elvis! Michael jackson! Madonna! Lady gaga! Monster for life!!!

May 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Excuse Me?

Don't make any correlation between the Latter Three and Lady Gaga. One of the biggest mistakes anyone could ever make. Elvis was/is THE pioneer of Rock 'n' Roll, Micheal Jackson being the King of Pop, and Madonna being, if anything, the Queen of Pop.

Gaga is regurgitated trash of this era's pop music. It's disgusting really. Don't try to say she has talent (because just being good at piano and having good choreography isn't talent, it's practicing it to get good at preforming it.) Talent is being unique, something that almost no one else can do. Obviously, she can't do it.

May 24, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

Excuse Me, you're sorta stupid, aren't you? "Latter" means last. "Former" means first. So what you meant to say was "the former three" (or the first three). Duh.

May 25, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  120. Pipan

That was the best SNL season finale this year! :p

May 23, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Lucy

Didn't watch it but it sounds like a real freak show, typical SNL style. Stopped watching it years ago.

May 23, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Motherlover

I'm not a fan of Justin Timberlake's music, but he is HILARIOUS on SNL!!

May 23, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Chickenhawk

I've seen every episode Timberlake's hosted, and all are hilarious. He's consistently their best host! Hope they've already booked him for two shows next year. So talented and so funny.

May 23, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  124. jules

Dew...Thank you very little for your input. Stop making comments about anything until you master the English language. Haven't seen the entire show yet (just the hilarious! "3-Way" digital short)but Timberlake is one of the most talented of his generation!:)

May 23, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Jen

iloved teh finale!! It was so great!1 I hope J.T. hosts again he's awesome!!

May 23, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  126. andyman

Definitely one of the best SNL season finalies ever. Too funny.

May 23, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Russ

well, It was a good show.. not great! Lady Gaga needs to learn what is appropriate. Giving birth on tv during her performance isn't exactly appropriate.

May 23, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • tim

Really? The skits referencing tiresome and tagging were ok but a fake/artistic birth in reference to the songs lyrics wasn't appropriate?

May 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  128. nofoldems

JT was funny as always. Don't know why they put Lady BlahBlah in some sketches...shld have kept her locked up.

May 23, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  129. shchasm

The bar for talent these days as been set way too low. Expert at the piano? What little you know of expert pianists. Without all the garbage theatrics 'gaga' is mediocre at best and theoretically interesting about any of her music. Same old recycled formula. JT is pretty funny.

May 23, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Sandy

Gaga is not one that I like. She may have talent but I would not cross the street to see her.

May 23, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  131. shawn

Lady Gaga is the most talented pop singer & performer to come along in a loooong time. I understand she's not for everybody, but anybody who claims she has no talent really hasn't got a clue. She's a brilliant songwriter, a great piano player, a very good singer and an incredible performer. I like that she is a voice and activist for freedom and justice in the world and she's the first real superstar of the 21st-century. She's not going anywhere, so haters are gonna have a rough time! I'm on board for the ride! She's great.

May 23, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heydude, it'sme

She could be around for the next fifty years for all I care. If I listen to real music, our paths will never cross again, until she happens to be whoring for attention on some OTHER show I happen to be watching.

May 23, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  132. dew

i got were i cant stand to watch this anymore, when it start its mosty about obama and the dems im sorry this is not funny to me.how about doing a show about morning joe and show mika and them kissing obama buts, all she does is make fun of the gop and kiss the ground obama and the dem walk on. i tape this show and i watch about a min. then i fastfoward it this is not the snl i watch over and over again, there not funny no more all they do is make fun of the gop and to me thats not right . im a dem and i want to watch something funny this show not funny no more,the females on this show not funny at all. the last 2 years are pure stupid please get the old stars back

May 23, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Sans

Great finale!! Liquorville skit and 3-way were hilarious!! I knew JT was going to be funny, but I was pleasantly surprised to see L Gaga fit right in. Don’t hate, but in my opinion, her performance in SNL skits made much more sense than her musical performance.

May 23, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Jay K

Leave Britney alone!! Oh ya...it's the other one..

May 23, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  135. randy

JT is fun to watch, Gaga I could leave

May 23, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Bill

How was this a "record"?

May 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edith

It was "the highest season finale ratings since the Olsen twins hosted the show in 2004." You don't read much, do you?

May 24, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Hey Edith, what an obnoxious response. Most people define something being a record as being greater than all that came before it. Not only is this "record" not the highest rated episode of all time, it isn't even the highest rated season finale. The only record the article seems to support is being highest rated show of the season, and that is hardly much of a record. Next time you criticize someone's reading skills I suggest you not do so while making such an imbecilic argument.

May 24, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
    • StupidEdith

Good point Billy.

May 24, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • FakeBuster

Bill, Billy and StupidEdith are all the SAME PERSON!!! lmfao, what an idiot.

May 24, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Sting-Sing

Anyone who thinks Gaga lacks talent is not only disturbed but probably a real human-hater. Especially folks that are slightly different. Lady Gaga's vocals aren't at Ella Fitzgerald or Aretha Franklin levels quite yet but she's definitely superior to 99.5% of the current slab of pop tarts out there today. Add to that her "ACT" and the dancing, choreography and the rest and it borders on brilliance!

May 23, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  138. steve von

I luv lady gaga! If I was her bodyguard, I would protect her with my life!!!

May 23, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Jen

I do think Timberlake has some genuine comedic talent. But I am already tired of Lady Gaga. The outfits, on stage antics, it's all too "look at me!" She has to be the center of attention all the time and it's annoying.

May 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Sarah in Texas

Knowing Justin Timberlake was going to be on SNL caused me not to have interest in watching. At this point it's like he thinks he is a cast member on the show. Enough with JT! Either hire him onto the cast or let someone else host for awhile.

May 23, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • mfhpr

Sarah, I used to do all I could to stay away from JT but now make a point to watch SNL every time he's on. Please do yourself a favor and watch ...you won't be disappointed!

May 23, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1. cut a hole in the box

What a stupid comment. There was a span of about 8 years where John Goodman hosted once a season. Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin have each hosted 15 times. JTlake has only hosted 4 times and the last time he hosted was 2 years ago, along with a few minor appearances here and there. Besides, everything he does on that show is gold. Are you honestly telling us you didnt enjoy D*** in a box? or the Single Ladies back up singers skit? Or did you make your stupid post without having seen anything he's done on the show?

May 24, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • lanyard

Good job, 1. cut a hole in the box... u pretty much covered everything I was gonna say. Haha. thanks.

May 24, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Victor

This skit didn't make it on air (don't know why, it was golden!) http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2011/05/justin-timberlakes-snl-skit-you-didnt-see-even-mozart-had-haters.html

May 23, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Sean

I'm so happy I tuned in for the season finale. Justin was amazing as always from his "Will not sing" monologue to the "Liquorville" skit with Gaga and "The Barry Gibb Talk Show", it was all HILARIOUS! Gaga really surprised me with her comedic chops and she definitely sent chills up my spine with "The Edge of Glory/Judas" performance. She reminded me just how much I love her while JT reminded me why I love SNL!!

May 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Firebird

Wow... you mean SNL can actually do something BESIDES a Sarah Palin skit? Amazing!

May 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

They've done what...one Palin skit in the last 18 months? Yeah, they need to cool it!

May 24, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  144. Michelle

I like her hair those colors.

May 23, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  145. LULU

Justin Timberlake is hilarious!!! I love watching the clip where he does his Michael McDonald impression!

May 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Nigel Tufnel

It was very funny. Much funnier than it has been for most of the Spring.

May 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Veganman

"Mindy" on The Secret Word game show was the best part of the whole show.

May 23, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Alex

That was one of the funniest shows from beginning to end that SNL has done in years! The 3-way skit/song had me laughing outloud, the gameshow with gaga and Justin was great, and yes the "liquorville" was hilarious as well... "Google that phrase before you use it"

May 23, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Norge

Funniest show ever. I laughed so hard that I was crying what is seems like forever.

May 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nubby

This was an INSTANT classic. All you Gaga Haters, let's see you sing, dance and play your own songs.

May 24, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Eric Nicolas

Gaga is a brilliant entertainer who manages to be fresh in a very stale music scene. Timberlake is extremely talented and I'm not surprised he's branching into acting. I usually only watch the cold opening and the Weekend Update segments, but this week I watched the entire show.

May 23, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • az momma e

ditto.

May 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

There's nothing "fresh" about Gaga's music. Anyone who thinks that knows very little about music. Her music is just a rehash of older music. The much noted "Born This Way" comparison to "Express Yourself" is one example. Another is "Alejandro." Ace of Base anyone? It's a complete rip-off. She might have talent, but she sure does not use it.

May 23, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • everyone copies everyone

I'm a little tired of the whole Gaga's music is a ripoff of other peoples music argument. EVERY musician "rips off" older musicians. Every genre of American music can be traced back to the blues/bluegrass/country style of music the slaves produced in the 1800's. Nearly all of Elvis Presley's songs were written and previously recorded by African American blues singers – doesnt that seem a lot worse than Born this Way sounding like Express Yourself?

May 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Stryker2462

To the poster who said Gaga has no talent, when you can play sold out concerts and have a few platinum albums give us a call. Until then stay out of Liquorville.

May 23, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dollars don't equal talent

Milli Vanilli

May 23, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debi

She is not about the money. Suggest you do alittle reading about her life before you make statements you know nothing about!! Take the time and READ about what she has accomplished in her short life. Nope, its not about the money.

May 24, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  152. TED

Plus hope everyone is doing good. Maybe it will be a happy and wonderful week for everyone.

May 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  153. TED

Gosh. Folks must be young to still be awake at 11:30 on saturday night. Ive done been asleep a couple of hours. I must be getting ooold. It does sound good though. Might DVR it.

May 23, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • tess

it's worth recording, Ted. lol I don't make it up that late normally, I made a point of staying up this week. Not a big JT fan, but the Omeletteville type skits make me laugh hard. Just the silliness. You have a good happy week too!

May 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • tess

me again. sorry. they have full episodes and clips at hulu.com too

May 23, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Superhiro

I don't mind Timberlake, but anything touched by Gaga is auto-fail.

May 23, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • moon627

your unfortunate comment about GAGA failing in any shape or form just goes to show how totally misinformed you are

May 23, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  155. HolyFool

That person who said that gaga need to take music lessons is seriously disturbed! She sounded absolutely Amazing! Especially at the Piano doing Edge of Glory.

May 23, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Maria R

I watched this, and had was very funny, when the other actor and Justin and Gaga had the sketch 3 ways I laugh very much. Wish this program will made in Spain.

May 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • commandohike

I'm sure Andy Samberg will appreciate being referred to as "the other actor." Hahahaha.

May 24, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  157. tyga

gaga and the dancing during low was cracking me up it also made me go whoa. i never really knew gaga could do that but at the moment im turned on!

May 23, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Brandy1921

I have watched skits from this show over and over again, SO funny! !!!Justin needs to win an Emmy for this one. And Gaga is so unbelievably talented, she added a lot to the show. A+ Justin, Gaga, and the writers!

May 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  159. be quiet

Haven't watched it yet. Now that I know there was an Omeletteville sketch, I will be ready to fast forward through that part. It wasn't funny the first 17 times and it's not funny now. "Bring it on down to Omeletteville" or whatever the F he sings makes me cringe.

May 23, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  160. The Mad R@p3r

Thats not your mother, its a man baby, yeah!

May 23, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  161. The Artful Scribbler

Lady Gaga needs to take some music lessons. The attention given to her has little to do with her music and more to do with her antics. Shame on us

May 23, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really!?!

Really, The Artful Scribbler? You think Gaga "needs to take some music lessons"? The artist who's a classically trained pianist and doesn't lipsync? Really!?! Have you ever bothered to watched one of her live performances or do you just base your assumptions on what you've heard from the haters? Really, The Artful Scribbler, really!?!

May 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert Gavila

Artful Scribbler: I second the prior opinion. No matter what you think of Lady Gaga's music or appearance, make no mistake about it: she is a very knowledgeable, learned, skilled and talented musician and pianist. I can understand someone not liking the Gaga's 'schtick'. That's fair. It's just over-the-top on top of over-the-top. But debasing her musical credentials has zero weight in the real world.

May 23, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • BR

It's unfortunate that her personna and theatrics give that impression to people but she is who she is. I don't love all of her songs but as a musican of 30 years I can recognize the musicianship beneath the makeup and latex.

I remember a wobbly legged boy from Memphis who received a lot of the same kinds of criticisms.

May 23, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greedo

I agree. Her skills on the piano on SNL were amateurish at best and I believe that at least a portion of her singing that night was lip synced (it seemed like she was singing backup to the recorded track). Regardless, if you listen to any of her songs on the radio, they are always heavily modified with auto-tune. Anyone who needs THAT much help can't possibly call herself a musician. She's simply an interesting character. An entertainer, to be sure. She's the Howard Stern of bubble gum pop music. But not a musician.

May 23, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Artful Scribbler

I've seen her on TV. If she has talent, it isn't coming through. Her vocal tone is thin and her pitch is questionable. She hid this by having 20 dancers on the stage.

May 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stymie

What are you talking about? Gaga has more talent than half the crappy singers out there. She's freaky and weird, and also extremely musically gifted.

May 23, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • moon627

Scribbler and Greedo apparently know absolutely nothing about music since neither know it when they hear it ...

your comments are quite frankly ignorant and baseless – GAGA is brilliant and shines in every way.

Must really suck to be you...

May 23, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

I don't watch her, so she may be entertaining. But I do know I wouldn't want to see her imitating giving birth on stage as I've seen clips of shows, and I'm sure it wasn't "Tastefully done".

May 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • ClaudioW

You could not be more WRONG! As a music industry executive, not only as a FAN, I must say that Lady GaGa is the new Elvis. Anything she does, sings, touches, turns to gold. I have seen artists that just come t the spotlight and fade just as fast. Lady GaGa has set a new standard in music, art, and marketing!

May 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

I watched gaga with an open mind

May 24, 2011 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Jaime

I've never been impressed with her since the first time I saw her (on "So You Think You Can Dance"). Her voice, while admirably sung and not lip synched (much like I admirably go and do my job instead of staying home sick), is weak. Her musical arrangements are generally pleasant, but her much vaunted style is basically just Madonna and Grace Jones. Frankly, stylistically, she's not innovative at all. I can't bear to even listen to Born This Way because I start to sing, "Respect what you've got, oh baby ready or not. Expresses yourself!"

You people are holding her up as if she has the talent of a Prince, Madonna, MJ, or even Justin Timberlake. She doesn't. She's basically on the level of a Katy Perry, with slightly better musical arrangements and much better marketing. But hey, that just makes me a hater right?

May 24, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

@ClaudioW

The music industry is everything wrong with music and has been for the last 70 years. How many artists were signed to slave contracts that in the end left them with nothing? Sign your publishing away, sign your life away.

May 24, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Kyran

Moral of the story is a lotta D-bags watch SNL.

May 24, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Trock

Gaga's best days are behind her, she is an entertainer and Timberlake is more comical than I'd thought he would be. Take away all the fashion and voice overs, let see what she really has. The question is can her talent stand alone? The answer is no!

May 24, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • 2112

No one that plays a musical instrument takes Lady Gaga seriously. If she is allegedly so talented a pianist, why is she making two-chord/four on the floor beat, overproduced, techno-disco? That's called selling out. But, probably not in her case, because she does lack any genuine musical ability. And don't kid yourself: her music is written by some 48 year old, bald guy; she is just the "front man" and packaged and sold like a commodity.

May 24, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • PssttCmere

Artful Scribbler.....perhaps some listening lessons are what you need. Lady Gaga's music is not my cup of tea, but she can sing and you can't take that away from her....her muscianship and showmanship is superb. I won't be going to any Lady Gaga concerts soon, but you must give her props.....AND SHE IS VERY FUNNY!!

May 24, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • victoryv

Do not pay much attention to overexposed celebrities, but wow do I have a new found appreciation for both Gaga & Timberlake! Great show! Lady Gaga... the lost love child of Salvador Dali & Cher!

May 24, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • DWT

I have to add to the head-scratcher comments here. Gaga was offered a scholarship to the Julliard School, the top music conservatory in the country, at the age of 11 or so. You can hate if you like, but don't spew BS.

May 24, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • BaldBaker

LOL to artful Scribbler I can see why you might think GaGa is all flash...but I agree with the other posts – that you obviously have never seen her perform live. She is the real deal. From child prodigy to the most powerful woman in entertainment and she is only in her 20s. You may not like her music but you HAVE to give her props for talent. She is amazing. Few acts today have the guts to get out on stage and actually sing live. Even fewer DELIVER when they sing live on stage. Check out her live performances (especially slowed down version of poker face while playing the piano or her live version of speechless and you'll see why she gets so much attention. It is not just because of her over the top persona.

May 24, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • baldbaker

Joe – people like you crack me up. You think you are so above it all but yet, hello?? You're here commenting too along with the rest of us and obviously reading the posts too – not just the article. You are absolutely correct that there are many more important things going on in the world....so why don't you go follow them.

May 24, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue

I admit I too was a GAGA basher, actually thought "She" was a "he", I can't STAND her hair do's and make up, and NEVER be caught dead listening to her music, BUT, I will admit, remove her makep and she is very very beautiful, and after actually LISTENING to her, she CAN SING FANTASTICALLY. I do not listen to this type of music, but I wanted to try to see what the hype is all about, and yes she has a voice that is awsome. It is a shame she hides behind the theatrics of garb. If she dresses more "normal" and kept 90% of the make-up off, she is drop dead gorgeous, ALSO realizing it is just an "image" and it is her decision. She even admitted her mom KNEW she snuck out at night to "perform" so she did what all mom s do, and joined her daughter. That is one cool mom and I have a new appreciation for this Gaga character. She CAN sing, and damn good.

May 24, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

I think we need distinguish two different tyoes of talent – performing & creating.

Lady Gaga is an excellent performer: singing, piano playing. As a creator of songs she is not very original, she writes pop songs and I'm pretty sure she is proud of this fact. However as a creator of performance she excels: outlandish scenes, costumes, etc.

Hey she's fun to look at & listen to, more power to her.

May 24, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • lal

@2112 – do a little research before you make comments. Lady Gaga had a career as a SONGWRITER. She wrote many hits for other artists before she became an act herself.

May 24, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Guvna

Lady Gaga.. well.. she just sucks. That is all.

May 24, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • 2112

Yeah, ok - I'll do research on Lady Gaga before I comment on an anonymous Internet forum. What is this? A PhD dissertation? No research required. She makes electro disco dance music. That type of music is never taken seriously. Think I'm wrong? Ask yourself who studies the craft of 1970s disco music. Lady Gaga and other contemporary performers are no different. They borrow heavily from disco. In fact, their music is contemporized disco. It's fluff music with no substance.

May 24, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grageo

Yet another ridiculous comment impugning LG's obvious musical abilities. It's okay to dislike her and her music, but stating that she "needs to take music lessons" makes you sound like a fool. A "scribbler" indeed, albeit not a particularly artful one.

May 25, 2011 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Deb

2112,

No, it isn't a Ph.D dissertation. But you're still an idiot.

May 25, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Ralph

She comes with some paperwork that is impressive. She's crazy zany. Most importantly, she entertains me. I like her. Elton John got a lot of criticism for being "out there" too but he was brilliant. Gosh there is such a huge list: Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash. . .

June 3, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |