Oprah's inspiration stretches around the world
May 23rd, 2011

Oprah's inspiration stretches around the world

When CNN iReport posted the "Oprah and Me" assignment earlier this month, little did we know that we would receive stories from around the world telling us how "The Oprah Winfrey Show," which ends on Wednesday, has inspired viewers.

Lavern Depeine said that thanks to Winfrey's charitable giving, she was inspired in 2008 to create a charitable group of her own in Middlesex County, New Jersey.

The advice from Lena Gidwani's father was echoed in what she saw on the "Oprah" show, advice that eventually propelled her to a news anchor job in Ghangzhou, China.

Lia Ocampo from Manila, Philippines was inspired to create a blog, taking a note from Winfrey in the title, "What Lia Knows for Sure."

Veteran iReporter Omekongo Dibinga said, "From teaching me the true joy that comes from giving, to inspiring me to get my own TV show to continue her mission, Oprah has truly inspired me to live my best life and help others do the same. I've been in her presence twice: at the Oscar after party in Los Angeles and at her 'Live Your Best Life Weekend' in New York. I would love to just meet her and say thanks but until then (and after), I'll keep working to improve humanity and make people feel good about themselves, just like she did."

From California to Minnesota to Saudi Arabia, iReports paying tribute to Oprah Winfrey continue to flow into iReport.

However, this song from Cincinnati's Greg Reese seems to say it all.

Were you inspired as well? Post your video or comment below.

Filed under: Celebrities • Oprah Winfrey • television

1. cell phone

I was suggested this web site through my cousin. I'm no longer certain whether or not this publish is written via him as nobody else recognise such distinct approximately my difficulty. You are incredible! Thank you!

April 13, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. laverne w

Oprah thank you for caring about people.

May 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. @N

Oprah is gone.she will neva do her show again.why is she so famous rite now?

May 24, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Wandy Ellis

Thank you Oprah for your support, love and big heart....I feel very blessed to have had someone so strong in our lives everyday for 25 years rain or shine you were there to give many of us hope....be so blessed on your new journey....your crown in heaven is going to be awesome...we love you thank you....The Ellis's <:-}

May 24, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Wandy

Support? What support did she give to you? Do you know her? Have you ever met her in real life? No? I didn't think so.

May 25, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Name*Susan herrick

I have watched Oprah everyday for 25 years,She has been my life inspirAtion.

May 24, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Name

If you'd finished school and gotten a job instead of watching Oprah everyday, then maybe you wouldn't be such a loser.

May 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. steve von

Dorothy morgan, stop kissing oprahs ass!! She is not going to give a million dollars!!! Oprah's off the air!! Men rejoice!!!

May 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. D. King

WoW....Ophrah REALLY is THAT GIRL!!!!

May 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dorothy morgan

i love you thank you for being who you are and for giving a dam:)

May 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Penny's Pooper

I'm tight and she's not!

May 24, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chucklehead

She inspired me all right. She inspired me to NOT be a fat, black chick. She also inspired me to NOT open a corrupt school in Africa or sponsor an author who's so-called truth was nothing but fiction. Most of all, she inspired me to NOT be inspired by second-rate television personalities who's only claim to fame is that she's a fat, black chick.

May 24, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. steve von

Najwa qaiyim, didn't u lose on american idol this year!!! Thank u God from all men for ending oprahs show!!

May 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. K

Hey Kay Clark
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You have only removed doubt that no one ever cared about. So sad that you would be so callous. What a shame.

May 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. najwa qaiyim

Oprah,KEEP ON RUNNING AND SEE WHAT THE END IS GONNA (B) YOU KNOW GOD HAS GIVEN YOU A SPECIAL MISSION.GOD BLESS!!!

May 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. steve von

Ke$ha,have another drink and prescription drug!!! Goodbye oprah!!! Don't let the door hit u where the Good Lord split u!!!!

May 24, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. The Mad R@p3r

I will say this, compared to Maury Povich she's basically black Jesus. Pretty much every show he does now is one of those which-moron-impregnated-the-other-moron affairs. And whoevers baby it ends up being both parties come off like belligerent white trash(regardless of actual race).

May 24, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. steve von

I speak for all men across the world!!! Goodbye oprah!!! Thanks for turning woman against us!!

May 24, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. kesha

She is an inspiration to all. She let the world know that no matter what u have been through u can make it and with hard work u can accomplish anything. Through GOD. Thats what i believe will happen with my life be stronge trust GOD he is the answer.

May 24, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • kesha

yo bloot leh yo hata be yo motivatuh an awl da sheet, shee fool dumb b row aw uh in hyaw wib yo ax un ya showduh. I lub me sub gawd an ebin goez 2 chuuch drunk ab awl hell. gib gawd duh glowree

May 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Beautiful Vixen

Lmao

May 24, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Brittany

Oprah is very wealthy & she does give HER OWN MONEY to charities ignorant people who dont know how much impact she actually has all over the world would be the ones who continue to hate on her. not only has she made a difference in this world she has also helped young men & women to value life & respect who they are regardless of race, religion, or shape DO YOUR RESEARCH IDIOTS

May 24, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Rusty Scupper

Opa reminds me of an overgrown WharfRat.

May 24, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  21. kaye kaye

She is all for the whites....

May 24, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Name*K

Is if amazing what one person can do over a tremendous medium (of course with the assistance of many behind the scenes people) that can inspire the entire world. That inspiration has infected and affected some many to do good work for this planet. Is that not the big picture (speaking to all you detractors) Is the world in a better place because if her? Or is it in spite of her? Go forth and be just as positive. May God Bless us all.

May 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kay Clark

Name K you are correct. Opa, her lies, maniupuation, bigotry have had a terrible INFECTION over the minds of the weak, dull and stupid. Your proclamation of her goodness is just as equally a proclamation of your Stupidity.

May 24, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  23. jen

I will truly miss you Miss Winfrey, you have inspired me all my life you have given so much of yourself.You're probably exhausted,all of my family and friends pray for you to continue to educate,help and love others.

May 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ian

THose clips show blacks and women. Once again it is proven fact that the white males are the most intelligent.

May 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  25. chaz

i heard oprah and gayle are married...

May 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Mary Navarro

OMG! Cant believe on peoples BAD COMENTS on Opra. Even though I never met her, I go by my GUT FEELINGS...which I know she has a BIG HEART, and REALLY CARES...for people around the WORLD! Love You Opra.

May 24, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Daniel Troppy

The world is lucky to have this woman ...

May 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  28. gail

I don't see any thing she's done that's inspiring to me...I guess she's inspiring to whites since that's who she caters to mostly, and a few selective blacks...I don't look at her as a Icon figure. She doesn't show any type of spiritual beliefs, I don't even think she believes in GOD...for all I care she's just another human being who's trying to make herself seem as important than she really needs to be.

May 24, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Kay

I wouldn't be in her shoes for anything; its always the jealous thing isn't it. I'm out of debt and working, frankly, what more does a person need? Another thing her lost little sheep don't understand.

May 24, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  30. steve

What is the matter with you people? so full of hate! shame on you!!! you should try to give someone a helping hand sometime! you just might feel better!!!

May 24, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Sweet T

Steve...you are such a HE-Man. If I give your weiner a helping hand will you then throw me to the ground and pummel my manHole until I beg for more? MAKE ME LIKE IT, Steve...You HE-MAN!

May 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Kay

Thousands and thousands of people do wonderful things for others every day, give of themselves and they do this without drawing attention to themselves. That is something the "great O" and her bimbo sheep followers need to get ingrained in their heads. How lost her worshippers are, can't you think for yourself? Oprah has brainwashed you into thinking you can't make a move without her guidance....how pathetic! How scary!!

May 24, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  32. alexandra

I don't understand why these blogs get so nasty and hateful. Oprah is still a human being no matter how wealthy, big or small, black or white. It's shamefull the way some of you present yourselves. It makes me think that your all just jealous because it's not you in her shoes. Nuff said except, writing insults back at me will just prove how rude and ignorant you all are. You know which ones you are.

May 24, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  33. Lisa Dibastio

It saddens me that people hate just to hate. Oprah black and a strong rich woman did it on her own. She has many charities and has done a lot of good for many. So to all the people that say negative things ask yourself why you do it. This is america and you are free to speak, just think about what you say because us reading this think you sound terrible. Oh did I say Oprah was rich and black is that the problem prayer changes everything.

May 24, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

"Oh did I say Oprah was rich and black is that the problem prayer changes everything."

Way to nosedive off the high road into the sewer by implying we're all a bunch of racist heathen. The real problem is people use their faith as something to lord over others.

May 24, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Steadman

Oprah is a dumb fat ox and has fooled the masses with her silly self-pity and "I understand." Oprah understand eating, gayle, lezbeanism, a full belly and bank account.

May 24, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  34. josie

What a joke lol

May 24, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  35. irony

She inspired many "stretches" through the years... mostly to her waistline. BOOSH!

May 24, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  36. shane

Oprah Show just ended but not herself. She inspired and motivate people to be positive on their lives, despite of being black and fat. She is just an instrument to spread out the world we live in trials and problems is a world where we still find happiness, love and hope. Let's not just look at how beautiful or ugly Oprah could be,or how filthy rich or poor she could be, or how fat or thin she could be. The essence and clear message what the show tells us is far more significant and will be m0re essential reflecting it to ourlives. Stay happy people! Thank you OPRAH SHOW and to Oprah herself.

May 24, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  37. Dsn63

I must admit that her bigass face always being on the cover of that feminist ragazine of hers has never made sense especially when her name is also on it.It's not like people don't know who she is.She could walk down an alley in Honduras and be recognized.He overstated sense of self importance ruins her image.

May 24, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  38. Justin

Most of you guys prove that world is full of ignorant @sses!

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU OPRAH. WE WILL MISS YOU!

May 24, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

Just expressing an opinion doesn't necessarily indicate ignorance, even when its done in a spirited way like some of the posters here.

May 24, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Amazingly Enough

So, because you love Ocra you think you're better than those that don't? Far from it Justine. She's nothing special. Big deal, she had a talk show. She never did anything of significance with her life other than spend her money. If she didn't have money, she would be just another unemployed minority woman, probably with several kids by different men.

May 24, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Amazingly Enough

Attention KMart Shoppers: NOT EVERYONE LOVES OPRAH!

May 24, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  40. Juki Farook

Oprah inspired me to get a new hair weave.

May 24, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  41. charlie crack

@igor-go eat em'!

May 24, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  42. charlie crack

@elm- you hungry or something? @irving-dumba**!

May 24, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  43. Mormon

she sure has made a couple of dollars.

May 24, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  44. elm

I would do Opa for a Krystal 10 bagger w/Cheese and put the bag over my head. AHH HHAAHAAA!!

FATTY PIGGY OPA!!

May 24, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  45. elm

Opa reminds me of the McDonals restaurant...Now thats a Big Mac.

May 24, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  46. elm

Opa reminds me of the Burger King restaurant...shes a WHOPPER!!

May 24, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  47. charlie crack

No racism intended in that comment at all either so dont even try it. But, if you notice, she doesnt help ALL different ethnicities as much. Just somethin to think about. Spread the love oprah you hog!

May 24, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  48. charlie crack

I cant stand that woman....(kanye quote rephrased) "oprah does not care about white people..."

May 24, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  49. dilbert

Thank God that giant windbag will be gone from the airwaves. She has never done anything except validate the existence of unmotivated, depressing women. Newsflash honey: not everyone is special.

May 24, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  50. charlie crack

Go away Oprah....Leave already! Dont you OWN everything, and that lard Gayle???

May 24, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  51. jen

Mr.Ed I just found out who Mr Ed was,a talking horse so that sums up your good scenesa and you called me stupid.I'm so stupid that my guy is takinng me shopping this afternoon for Givenchy shoes,what are you going to do buy some hay.

May 24, 2011 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  52. Selama

Jen, Go to sleep you sound like a little crazy

May 24, 2011 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  53. brucenhk

there is a nice story that sort of sums up Oprah's influences and highlights from the last 25 years

May 24, 2011 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  54. jen

You can hate me all you like I don't hate you,but liars,perpetrators,cowards and even pervs I'll leave this blog when I'm ready.I've been dogged by the worst, your just amatures.

May 24, 2011 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  55. Jen

I'm Jen and I hate all white people!

May 24, 2011 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  56. unknow

@JEN: are you that stupid? Don't you know anything about trolls?

May 24, 2011 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  57. jen

Selamwit dimwit or whatever your idiot name is, what do you have to do with this? I can handle being fx!:"ed with you geek,yea my mom's black and my dad's half German and Italian, so I know little about being picked on.

May 24, 2011 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

Im black/jewish so I know about being picked on too, but I've generally found people on here to be relatively accepting of me.

May 24, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  58. Selamawit Asefaw

Sometimes it's very hard to find a right words to express your admairation to a person like Oprah. She was guiding as like our teacher,mother, father...... She was trying to tough everything from here to there. She was doiing a wonderful job with her outstanding staff.

Hope to see her much more bigger then this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Selam

May 24, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Sebastian Van Goober

Selam...after all those kind words and all Opa instruction you remain just a lost as a lizard. Look to yourself for guidance as Opa will lead only to the twinkie and cupcake aisle.

PS...Try eating your poo poo.

May 24, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  59. Mr. Ed

Jen: Yes you dumb a$$! What does Sunshine Girl have to do with this? Since you are too f***ing stupid to pick up on things we are all some time or another get this kind of s**t and get picked on. Sunshine Girl, @N, Superhiro, Beautiful Vixen, Peace and b lo me were just picked on recently so stop f***ing making this about you b***h. If you can't handle the insults then you should get the f*** off the blog and stop feeding the trolls.

May 24, 2011 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  60. jen

Hey Sunhine Girl, I was told yet again to get off this blog, and told to find black black blogs by T-rex, now I get it you guys want the marquees blog so that you can spew hate at minorities and they shouldn't respond.Okay if you and cyber pals can't anonymous criticisms then maybe you should get off this blog.

May 24, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  61. please, just shut up!

Inspires me to want to puke on her egotistical, self centered magazine

May 24, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  62. Snshine Girl *

The only thing about Oprah I admire is her company. Everything she has she has made herself w/o any handouts. Any woman could learn something from her business smarts. Other than that I dont understand the hoopla either. And I always wondered the same thing about the cover of her magazine. Seems a little self centered/arrogant if you ask me.

May 23, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • mikey

without any handouts?! everything she has or owns has been donated! she even wanted apple to GIVE her an ipad. ew.

May 24, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Evel Knievel

She inspired me to get a friend who's also my secret lesbian lover and spend my free time Scissoring and eating bacon grease.

May 23, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Annie Booker

Just finished watching part 1 of Oprah's farewell ... She has truly been a blessing to so many ... May our Heavenly Father continue to bless you Oprah as you bless others. All Glory and honor to God Almighty…

May 23, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Red Veto

She decreased the property value in our Chicago suburb.

May 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Mormon

As a Mormon I find Oprah to be both beautiful and wonderful. She has a strong following among our sisterhood. We find her to be a modern day prophet along the lines of John Smith. Oprah has many hats.

May 23, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Tim

She does inspire me to say negative things about her and her fans.

May 23, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Decorah

Sorry, but I am not sure I understand the Oprah Explosion. I have attended an Oprah showing, but I have several questions: 1) Since she is one of the wealthiest people in the world, how much money does she give to charitable causes? 2) Does she give her actual money or does she get others to give money in her name? She appears to be a nice person, but I could never understand the need for Oprah to always be on the cover of her magazine? I listened to people on television today speak of how Oprah has inspired them, and I am happy for Oprah and for those people, but what has she actually done which would be considered of lasting value? The "one-shot" trips or "limited shot" awareness promos are fine in and of themselves, but shouldn't there be more lasting value? 9/11, Katrina, and so many more issues can not be just a limited venture.

May 23, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bran's Gurl

I so agree, can't wait until she is off the air. what will her lemmings do then??

May 24, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • VERN

Stop hating.....

May 24, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • mrskool

BG : You're just jealous that everyone loves her – must suck to be you...

May 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Mad R@p3r

@mrskool
      BG and decorah, plus more than a few on here, seem to not be feeling the love, so we're a few short of everyone.

May 24, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • menard c

well lets see you give away a car or a house.HMMM oh and ummm maybe you should build a school like she did.nah see you cant do that and thats why she's well respected and your not plus the things i just name are not even recent.those are just 3 things out of countless reason why your at home behind your computer hating lol wow wimpy ass americans hate to see some one else with money.but i bet you would shut your azz up if she gave you a mill.then you would follow her and worship her to lmao. HATER LETS BE REAL SINCE YOU WANNA TALK

June 10, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |