A night of explosive developments on 'The Killing'
May 23rd, 2011

A night of explosive developments on 'The Killing'

Another one bites the dust, y’all! In one of the most suspenseful episodes of the season thus far, an exciting series of events led us to cross another suspect off our list of potential killers.

At first it looked like the plan to take Bennet into custody was a go – Linden even went so far as to assure Mitch that an arrest was imminent – but a judge refused to sign the warrant and the arrest was called off.

Confident in his innocence but the damage to his reputation done, Bennet returned to Fort Washington against the wishes of Principal Meyers and his students, who staged an impromptu walkout upon his arrival to class.

Also surprised to see Bennet was Mitch, who had come to the school to return some of Rosie’s textbooks. Let’s talk about those textbooks for a second. Earlier in the episode, Terry breezed into the Larsen home claiming Rosie forgot them in her car. When? And why? And will this detail come back to haunt Mitch in a flashback during the last ten seconds of the season, causing me to tear my eyelashes out in frustration?

I’m just DYING to find out what’s going on with Terry. Between the weird exchange with Jasper’s father at the wake and the tearful meltdown in Rosie’s room afterward, you know it’s going to be something scandalous.

Meanwhile, over in Snoozeville, USA, there was more bad news for the Richmond campaign. The gang’s plan to use the Mayor’s mistress against him backfired when Adams held a press conference to deny the affair, claiming that even if he did have a relationship with the woman, he couldn’t have fathered her child because he’d had a vasectomy.

Afterward, Adams instructed his campaign director to double the payments to the mistress and pay his doctor to falsify his medical records. Even if he doesn’t win the election, he’ll always be America’s Dirtbaggiest Mayor to me.

Richmond returned hat in hand to Drexler, Seattle’s richest man-child, for another campaign contribution to the tune of five million dollars. Drexler, frustrated over the campaign’s inability to reduce the Mayor to a pile of political rubble, challenged Richmond to a high stakes free throw contest – make the shot and win the money or miss and resign from the race.

You’ll all be thrilled and delighted to know that Richmond made the shot and The Little Campaign That Could lived to fight another day.

Later, the seeds of doubt that had been planted in Amber’s mind after she overheard Bennet’s conversation with Muhammad seemed to have taken root when she turned over Muhammad’s cell phone number to detectives, who then tracked him down at a local farmer’s market.

During questioning he admitted that he was with a girl on Friday night, but it wasn’t Rosie. It was the missing girl 12-year-old the mosque’s imam spoke of a couple of episodes back. Bennet and Muhammad were working to help the girl escape to Canada after she was scheduled to undergo the painful female circumcision mandated by her culture to prepare her for marriage.

When he saw the picture of Rosie, Muhammad told detectives that she had stopped by the Ahmed home on the night of the murder, but backed up Bennet’s original claim that she’d stopped by only briefly to return the copy of the Koran.

Despite what went down at the high school, things seemed to be looking up for Bennet, right? Wrong! After seeing that he had not yet been arrested, Mitch lashed out at Stan for not taking care of Bennet when he had the chance. So Stan, with Belko in tow, set out to abduct Bennet and exact a little prairie justice.

Remember the pink shirt Linden found at the butcher ship that Mitch ID’d as Rosie’s? Well, she found it while doing the laundry. Whoops. She raced to get in touch with Stan, who was in the thick of delivering a savage beatdown that Bennet may or may not have survived.

What did you think of last night’s episode? Now that Bennet’s out of the mix, who’s making your Spidey senses tingle?

Post by:
Filed under: television • The Killing • TV recaps

1. pie thrower

I have been saying it since the first episode that the sister is involved. Ever since she asked Mitch in the kitchen why she didn't check up on Rosie all weekend. The only thing I'm wrapping my head around is how it is all linked to the campaign. It has to be since she was found in the campaign car. So there is still a hole left open.

There has to be more to Richmond for the series to be pursuing his storyline so much. He comes off very ideal, even wounded and empathetic with the death of his wife, but there is a skeleton somewhere in his closet.

May 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. be quiet

I am 100% certain it is not Belko. The producers and writers have mentioned in interviews that the killer will not be the same as the Danish version – and the "equivalent character" in that version (co-worker/family friend of the Dad) was the killer.

I believe the killer will either be the Aunt, or Regi Darnell (lady who lives on the houseboat).

May 24, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. logical

Its definately Belko! Your husband is dead on, about the fact that Belko is crazy. There is something really off about this guy. The car dilemma is only a problem if Belko was also the one to get rid of the body. What if he wasnt, and what if the placement on the body implicated someone innocent of the murder itself, who then had to get rid of the body. The story is already very convoluted, so it wouldnt surprise me if its equally convoluted in regards to the details of the murder and the murder scene.

May 24, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Gupta

Since I've now seen multiple people question whether it may have been Terry in Jasper's bed I would just like to point out that Stan got a look at the woman in the bed when he showed up at Jasper's looking for Rosie. I'm pretty sure Stan would have recognized his friggin sister in law if it in fact that was Terry in the bed...if I remember correctly, Stan was even the one who pulled the covers off the woman because he thought it was Rosie. STOP SUGGESTING THAT WOMAN WAS TERRY.

May 23, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lorraine

I disagree about the campaign story..I love it. Personally, since the beginning, I think it's going to be Jasper's father. Here's why.....Why SO over the top enfuriated with his son? Did the older woman Jasper had in the bed have something to do with it? Was that Terry? Was Jasper getting back at his father for the father's relationship with Rosie? Doesn't the father have a connection with the campaign? Rosie had those fancy, grown-up shoes...was she having an affair w/ Jasper's father? This is just my little theory. Let's see if it pans out. Until then, I am completely addicted to the show.....it's television crack!

May 23, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ja

It was definitly Belko. either him or the school principal, the school principal is always evil

May 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Beautiful Vixen

Lol..I was a little lost on that part too. I didn't understand what he (Belko) was kicking and fighting with. I never thought it was the teacher. I think the teacher is dead because they really gave him a beating.

May 23, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. joe cool

After many scientific calulations I have determined Rosie committed suicide. She did it herself. The final episode will reveal this.

May 23, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jessica

My husband and I have watched every week, and one by one the characters we thought could have done it have fallen away. My husband has insisted that Belko, Stan's creepy employee, had something to do with Rosie's death. He is creepy, for sure. What the heck was he doing in the final moments of last night's episode while Stan was beating Bennet? Was he punching a rock? Why?! My husband looked at me and said, "he's nuts. There's something definitely wrong with him." I don't know. He could have killed Rosie, but why? Maybe she refused him in some way or found out about something shady he was into. Even if he did kill her, how'd he get the Richmond campaign car? And, I agree blogger, Terry JUST found the textbooks Rosie left in her car? Really? It's been 9 days since she was found dead, and you're just finding two large textbooks NOW? That's a little strange. And I also agree with you, I don't much care for the political story lines, though they are somewhat interesting. I more care about the murder story lines. This show is so good, I'm on the edge of my seat every week! Keep it up AMC!

May 23, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Irishgirl

I have suspected Belko from the get-go. I never thought Bennet had anything to do with Rosie's murder. It was just too quick and convenient. But after seeing Belko go a little nuts on that rock while Stan was beating Bennet, I'm beginning to think he's a red herring too. I'm wondering if Belko is/was in love with Rosie, which is why he's been so clingy with the family and encouraging of vengeance. I'm now beginning to think Aunt Terry might be the killer. The school books scene means something. I was thinking at first Mitch would find a piece of evidence in the books, but I think it was odd that Rosie's books were in Terry's car. Plus it's taken her 9 days to find them? There's just something fishy about that.

May 23, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |