'The Office' interviews: How did the applicants do?
May 20th, 2011

'The Office' interviews: How did the applicants do?

Thursday night's season finale of "The Office" gave us the brief, insane tenure of Creed as acting manager of Dunder Mifflin in Scranton (with Pam brilliantly handling his attempt to steal clients); Andy turning Erin down for a date (no!!!); the long overdue exit of Gabe (good riddance); plus one of the sweetest moments ever with Phyllis letting Erin believe that she was her mother, just a little longer.

While all of this was going on, the search committee, consisting of Jim, Toby and Gabe (and later Kelly, whom I guess is out of the running now), continued looking for Michael's permanent replacement. Here's a quick take on all of the applicants:

Fred Henry (Will Arnett) – It would be good if he knew what he was applying for. No, it's not Vance Refrigeration (plus, Arnett will be busy on the NBC show "Up All Night").

Nellie Bertram (Catherine Tate) – Probably the closest one to Michael Scott of them all. She brings just the right level of madness, without being creepy.

Robert California (James Spader) – And here's your creepy. Spader definitely deserves an Emmy nomination for this role. He made the biggest impression of anyone, but the character is all wrong for "The Office," unless they make some tweaks. I love the fact that he kept looking at the camera.

Merv Bronte (Ray Romano) – A nervous wreck. He would be great for the show, but Romano also has his own series, "Men of a Certain Age."

Warren Buffett – Why not?

Andy Bernard – He was actually my favorite going into this, and I still like Ed Helms in the role (I imagine NBC might, as well, if "The Hangover Part II" is a hit).

Darryl Philbin – Craig Robinson is also a big name now, thanks to "Hot Tub Time Machine." I think he would be hilarious, but Darryl made a few mistakes in the interview process, not least of which was using his cute kid to make the case for him.

Dwight Schrute – I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm pulling for the guy. Kelly is right, he acquitted himself pretty well. Don't count him out.

"Finger Lakes" Guy (Jim Carrey) – Just crazy.

So the search committee (and NBC and the producers) have their work cut out for them. A lot of good candidates out there.

As a side note, Jo is really growing on me. I hope we'll see more of her, despite the renewal of "Harry's Law." Her first "interview" with Dwight was one of the biggest LOLs of the season.

Which applicant are you pulling for? Will you keep watching next season, or does it all depend on who gets the job (or have you stopped watching already)? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

1. Jasa bangun rumah

Remarkable things here. I am very happy to see your article. Thank you so much and I'm looking ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

August 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lydia, Austin, TX

Andy. I love his heart, and he would barely beable to keep the place afloat (plus, easy to manipulate by Dwight), which would open up a whole new set of storylines. I did not like the friend of Jo...can't even remember her.

May 24, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Keith

Personally, I think Christopher Walken would be hilarious! Every thing he does on SNL is comedic brilliance!

May 22, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. No Brainer

Creed by far has the biggest possibilities. Would it surprise anyone if Creed used the Co. As a front for a drug ring? Money laundering, people getting whacked left and right, anyone who threatens him or stands in his way? I say the first episode next season has Creed pulling a mask of a bound and gagged, crying terrified Michael Scott? Leavng the door open for multiple cameos with Michael suffering from who knows what Creed has in sick mind? Endless possibilities. The sooner Creed whacks Dwight the better I say. Things are smooth for an episode or two, one day Dwight comes into Creeds office saying something stupid usual offending Creed, a little godfather music starts, and Bam, Dwights dead. Creed hits a button and two men in black clean up the mess, and the real Creed is revealed! Creed could end up as the true Anti-Christ, only to be defeated with minutes to spare. Even better he could succed. You see, endless possibilities. Creed for Boss!!

May 22, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hollywood Insider

Inside info, none of these guys win. Should have been obvious but the new boss is the craziest of them all and the reason all of the candidates were waked. Carlos Estevez aka Charlie Sheen! Ink that!

May 22, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JD

I like Fingerlakes Guy. He's pretty good. But the closest to Michael was NOT Nellie. It was, in fact, David Brent, who is the actual inspiration for Michael. And, Michael promised to give him a job if one opened up.

May 21, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Carly

Why do shows overstay their welcome? Why can't they admit it was a great run and acknowledge when it's time to close up shop and move on? I wanted to be fair and at least give the new candidates a chance, but I"m done. Farewell, Michael Scott and farewell The Office.

May 21, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Superhiro

The British office was like that Carly. Two seasons and they were done, the story was told. Here in America we like to squeeze every last bit of life out of our shows until they're almost unrecognizeable.

May 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. OfficeFan

Why wasn't David Brent (Ricky Gervais) on this list? I really would like to see Ricky Gervais take the reigns of his own UK export. I mean, his character was the basis for Michael Scott anyway, why not see what he can do for the US audience. I thought his cameo appearance several months back (meeting Michael at the elevators) was absolutely hysterical. Gervais has been behind-the-scenes on The Office the whole time, knows the show and characters well and I think he would be a great fit. If not Gervais then give it to Darryl, I love Andy but I think he's too weak to be a manager.

May 21, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. PJR61

loved the line..."Thank you Mr. Schnute" and I am hoping somehow Jim gets the manager's job

May 21, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. barbara

Well... I wasn't impressed with any of them..... none of them hit a home run with me.. and I can only take so much of Dwight's antics. So maybe the writers have a surprise for us... maybe it wasn't any of these candidates! If you're going to use a wierdo like James Spader... hey go for the gold and hire Christopher Walkens. And to the people who think her name is Catherine Tates.... it's Katherine Bates for God sake! I think the interviews should continue. It's a great way to introduce possible new talent. The writers will know when they've gotten the right person. I thought there should have been more women nominees. Anyway... it better be the right person or the show won't survive. Or maybe they could build a season around hiring and firing these managers.... now that might really be entertaining.... the producers could see how the ratings do with each candidate... they'll know when they've hit gold.

May 21, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Curt

You do realize the red-headed lady who intereviewed for the job's name is Catherine Tate....some of us really don't care about Kathy Bates. Tate on the other hand, has played the Doctor's companion. Of course, most in the U.S. could care less about Doctor Who.

May 21, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. gin52

I love Jo; Dwight should win but Spader is the BEST. This episode was so much fun including Andy. I'm sorry but Carrell who? The office will go on!

May 21, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  12. Me@work

Tough call...

After hearing Catherine Tate may get the position, I watched to get a feel for how she might fit in (not really being familiar with her work). I tried to stay completely objective, but in her short screen time she really failed to make an impact.

Spader, on the other hand, I thought was brilliant. His character would work well in that he could do absolutely nothing (much like Michael), yet given his nature, everybody would be too afraid to do or say anything about it.

Dwight, Andy or Darryl could also all work very well in thier own ways. A Dwight/Darryl, Andy (or even Jim) co-manager situation would be ideal. Watching Jim and Dwight butt heads over the management of the Scanton branch could renew their rivalry and give the show the legs it needs to move forward without Michael.

May 21, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. SynthChick87

I love Andy Bernard, I say let him have the job!

May 20, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. not an anglophile

Spader was funny but he would need to expand on the creepy hypnotist persona to sustain my interest over an entire season.
    Tate was easily the worst of the candidates. She was not funny and had zero chemistry with the regulars.

May 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kathleen

I think they should let Andy be the office manager and leave the cast members alone. With Michael gone, the show has demonstrated that the show is still funny with the regular cast members. No new boss! Give the job to Andy and it will still be a great show.

May 20, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. charlie crack

I trust yall's judgement, only watched maybe once.

May 20, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. R

The fact that a manager was not chosen took the episode from seriously brilliant to lame.

Big let down to what would have otherwise been episode of the season (even without Micheal).

May 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Delilah

I did not like this episode. Why was Darryl portrayed as unprepared? When he first got the office upstairs he was all business and working hard. Now he is just seen as resting on his laurels and his friendship with Jim. Catherine Tate is weird and I will not watch if she is the new boss. Give it to Dwight.

May 20, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Henry Hanks

Also I am in favor of David Brent as the new manager.

May 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Lloyd Christmas

Plus @N and Superhiro are really Jennifer Lopez. JLO blogs on here sometimes and uses those 2 names as her alias.

A close friend and Hollywood insider told me Paace is really Beyonce.

May 20, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lloyd Christmas

Plus @N and Superhito are really Jennifer Lopez. JLO blogs on here sometimes and uses those 2 names as her alias.

May 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Lloyd Christmas

YEAH ! I know Alecia. She is a famous movie producer and a college professor. If she says you are sad then you are definitly one sad puppy. Plus I bet you voted for Scotty on american idol.

May 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. alecia

People who watch this show are just sad. It should have went off the aor when jim married pam. After that it was just stupid.

May 20, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

I love people like you Alicia. You think the show "was just stupid" and the poeple who watch it "are just sad". However not only did you probably watch the show you took the time to search for an article on it and then took the time to read the article and then took the next step to write a comment. A lot of work for someone who thinks I am "sad" and the show is "stupid". Your comment says a lot about you.

May 20, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous

"people who watch this show are just sad". Not an arrogant generalization at all Alecia, great comment!

May 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leni

What I find sad is people who cannot string together a coherent sentence.

May 20, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Stupid is taking the time to comment about a show one thinks is stupid. The office ROCKS>

May 20, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Henry

your stupid

May 22, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • huffmaster

People like you Alecia are sad, that have to go to the internet to bash others for their opinion. If you don't like the Office then WHY would even bother reading the article, let alone writing a reply?

May 23, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  24. be quiet

I can't believe they didn't say who got the job. After all the hype and build up, they leave it at a cliffhanger.

Usually that's a good way to end a season, but when a main character leaves a show, the fans have already endured enough! Throw us a bone here.

May 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  25. poppy

I like James Spader for the job. He's very versatile and can be hilarious in his quirkiness. Of course, Creed could continue as the manager. Pam doesn't have enough to do in her new position as office manager. Managing Creed could keep her busy and all day every day.

May 20, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Loren

I watched just to see what Catherine Tate would do, and I was a little disappointed, a good interviewee holds back on the crazy to get the job and the writers either telegraphed that she wasn't going to get it despite her friendship, or they tried for the funny and failed to hide the crazy. One hour was probably too long for the show, everything dragged, though there was the right amount of crazy.

I will say that Catherine Tate is still my choice if only because the show needs the right amount of crazy and she certainly can bring it.

May 20, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brainiac

Typical anglophile logic there. I though she sucked but I still want her to get the job. That makes a lot of sense Loren

May 20, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trevor

Very nice critique Brainiac... way to embrace your inner d!ck.

May 21, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  27. JIM

I hope Hollywood will make this into a 3D movie. Then do a remake of it in 2 or 3 years.

May 20, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |