What's the verdict: Beyoncé's 'Run the World' video?
May 19th, 2011

What's the verdict: Beyoncé's 'Run the World' video?

The world didn’t quite fall in love at first listen with Beyoncé's single “Run the World (Girls),” but perhaps the video could help us forget that.

The star singer unveiled the video on Wednesday's “American Idol," and after the pared down video for “Single Ladies” Beyoncé breaks out explosions, wild animals and a female army for this clip, directed by Francis Lawrence.

It opens with the songstress riding into the apocalyptic land on a horse, and we soon see her surrounded by her well-dressed army, ready to face off against a male police force with her footwork.

MTV notes that the video is a lot like Beyoncé's other offerings, with plenty of choreography and costume changes, but she also mashes it up with two huge beasts on chains – held down by Beyoncé, of course – as well as a moment in which she flips off the camera.

It's been described as epic more than once, although the Village Voice does inquire why she opted for such an all-out affair to illustrate her girl power point, since the first few shots alone say it clearly.

Beyoncé told Billboard of the track, "It's definitely riskier than something a bit more...simple," but said that's why she fell in love with it. The song felt "a bit African, a bit electronic and futuristic," she said. "It reminded me of what I love, which is mixing different cultures and eras - things that typically don't go together - to create a new sound."

Beyoncé's also unveiled the artwork for her next album, titled "4," which is expected to arrive in June.

Filed under: Beyonce • Celebrities • Music

1. they see ho snapping photos...thanks...its working

April 22, 2013 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. beyonce has class...she's not a ho

thanks

April 22, 2013 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. what a stupid comment

April 22, 2013 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. 2 day diet

Hi there, I discovered your web site via Google even as looking for a similar matter, your web site came up, it seems great. I've bookmarked to my favourites|added to my bookmarks.

April 22, 2013 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. rtyecript

I really liked the article, and the very cool blog

August 25, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RealMusic92

I find the song and the video very annoying lol I miss her old style, just pure talented singing. She didn't need any gimmicks. Some good comments on here but the rest of you are just brainwashed. If you started listening to music out side of this genre/country, you'll be overwhelmed, look back and wonder what you were thinking.

July 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jay jay

beyonce britney rhianna LADY GAGA SUCK.

June 17, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rhonda

LOVE the song. HATE the video. Someone commented that Beyonce demeaned herself. Yeah, sure – to the tune of BILLIONS. Poor, poor, Beyonce-NOT!

June 17, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |

IN THE NAME OF JESUS, FOR AS LONG AS I LIVE, I VOW

WRITTEN COPYRIGHTED BY:

A.W. KHABIR

5-23-11

May 24, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rock

Id love to drop off some baby batter in that one. you know thats got to be a tight channel

May 24, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sugar51

Beyonce a nimwit? Ha!! can a nimwit produce over 100 mil a year? I don't think so!

May 22, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. carr

Everything in this video wuz done by other artist beyonce copied bits and peices from other artist and made this video,her giving the finger is something rihanna would have have done thats not beyonce style ,anybody could have done that song beyonce is just trying to catch up but she is no nicky manaj .she needs to sit her old tired a..s down her days r numbered a forty something woman p..sy popping on stage not a good sight.

May 21, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. top Critic

This is the BEST VIDEO OF THE YEAR....that dancing is amazing,art direction is amazing and it stars the true MVP of Videos and the industry in general,Beyonce! That African dancing at the beginning,and the choreography in general is FAR above anything Beyonce's rivals can attempt...and the singing is also difficult,and beyond the capabilities of Rihanna,Gaga,Katy and whoever you can bring up. Beyonce is not only so talented but so beautiful as well. Beyonce did a great job with this video and it has 11 million views on Youtube in only 3 days...it is what it is...a great video...

May 21, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. run the world suck

Havent seen the video,but i heard its a ripoff of rihannas hard video.Be original b.tch and stop swagger jacking.

May 20, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. nicky

I Like that comment about beyonce being a nimwit and a airhead i totally agree .And anybody who listens to that run the world crap is a idiot

May 20, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Toni (who run the world)

I loved the video and I watched it ten times and BEYONCE will be singing run the world LIVE on OPRAH next week. Can't wait!! LUV B!!

May 20, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jo

Beyonce is talented and beautiful but has unfortunately chosen the route of all the others. I wish she would realize that her voice does not need all that garbage required by those who can perform but not sing.

May 20, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  18. wth

I thought Beyonce was black. When did she become a blonde, white female?

May 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Chosenone

I have nothing against Beyonce.
    But she reminds of that person that acts like they are the best, but really has low self-esteem.
    So they CONSTANTLY say the same things, over and over again.

Relax Beyonce, we know girl power is real.
    Now Shut the f#%* up, and get a life.

May 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. carmeldips

I do not care for the song, and did not like the video. Question, why so much hate to a woman none of you know? If you do not like her or her music don't buy it. The hateful comments are too much.

May 20, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tif

Honestly, I am not a fan of this song, but the choreography (not the video) was awesome. Beyonce is a truly talented individual; however, I am not feeling her single. It does not do anything for me. In the past, I have loved all of her songs, including Single Ladies, Deja Vu, and Crazy in Love, but this song sounds so messy. The beat is confusing, and does not move me. When I buy music, there are many factors, including the beat and its lyrical content. Beyonce will sell records because she is Beyonce. The name says it all.

May 20, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Maria

I'm honestly tired of this "empowering women" videos. Men AND women rule the world! Yes, we have power, but constant mention of it just seems to show that we don't... You don't see men bragging about "men power". They use it, don't sing it...

May 20, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  23. Shampoohorns

I just kept thinking about how dancing in open-toed shoes in sand would ruin your pedicure.

May 20, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  24. Not Feeling it

This is a RIP OFF of Janet Jackson's Together Again. She has lost like 30 pounds, she is copying gaga by not having any eyebrows, and bleach blonde hair and skin. She is turning into a white woman. Ever since she started hanging out with gweneth paltrow she is trying to be her more and more but you all know if beyonce likes it then she'll probably make a song about it. and with all the bad stuff going on in the world she makes a video aboout war. she should be fully dressed going to waR, I GUESS she thinks you have to be naked to win against men. UGH!

May 20, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  25. wayne

God awful. talk about EGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jim Warren

Like so much music today, this is mashed up electronic, auto-tuned crap. There is no "hook" to make it memorable, the lyrics are so tired 'gangsta' (can we move beyond this PLEASE?). It is not only Beyonce, but so many others where they have become a tool for overproduction and their actual talent is submerged behind beeps, trips, etc.

Totally tuning out from this kinda music. I stopped this video once the music started. And the whole "dance style" is tired too.

Beyond boring.

May 20, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  27. Dave

No question – music and video blow.

May 20, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  28. Stacey

Weird song; weird video. Beyonce's face shape looks different; she looks almost guy-like.

May 20, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  29. Jeanne

Can't stand it – don't like the song, don't like the video. Too much going on, and her dancing is the same old, same old.

May 20, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  30. Sasha Fierce

Sasha love sucking on honkee meat.
    Beyownce love some black boys.

May 20, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  31. Retire

Beyonce is not a singer and never has been. She is a performer. She shakes her half naked butt and that's what sells her. Compare her to Aretha or Patti no comparison never has been. She is a trained singer. Which means anyone can do what she's doing. Just get a voice trainer dress practically naked and shake your ass and whall-la you are a star. Beyonce Rihanna Brittany Lady Gaga are not real singers. Jill Scott Christina Aguilera Jennifer Hudson Fantasia those are real singers of our time. Use your ears and listen.

May 20, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  32. vman

Very disappointed with the song. Beats are too busy, have no natural flow. I thought it just me, but I guess lots of us dont like this one.
    Cant judge the album by one song thou..we ll see

May 20, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  33. honest comment

I was annoyed with her when she tried stealing Shakira's moves on the Beautiful Liar song/video. Then she created the silly alter ego, Sasha-Fierce, should have been "such-a-farce!". Then she tried to steal Gaga's style on that Telephone song/video. Then her Single Ladies video dancing was a copy-cat of Bob Fosse dance moves... Also, there was that time she stole Etta's song, At last, and did a terrible job. So, does she really have any talent of her own? And yes, her legs look like cottage cheese covered tree trunks. And the skin bleaching and blonde eyebrows look bad. Somebody's gotta tell her there is nothing wrong with being dark skinned and dark haired.

May 20, 2011 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  34. April Fool

All Top Artists Must Please The Elite . Wake Up People !

May 20, 2011 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  35. terd

Mixing different cultures and eras to create a new sound? This dimwit really thinks she's an artist. No. Beyonce, you haven't created anything 'new', all you did was rip off the beat for Pon de Floor and coat it with some of your faux-feminist rah rah while you dance in your underwear and crawl on the floor as always. It's really not as complicated as she thinks it is, yet considering how shallow this woman is that's no surprise. I also really dislike how much war imagery is used, as if we don't have enough visions of riot gear, burning cars and armed troops as it is. Then again, if you're an airhead like Beyonce you prob never watch the news or do and think it's 'cool'.

May 20, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  36. trisha

Why would people even bother to spend their hard earned money on people like beyonce who could care less about them. Beyonce will at the end of the year on forbes list for making 63 million How many of u fans make that a year if noboby buy their garbage music then this world would be better.

May 20, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  37. COME ON CNN REALLY?

I AM SORRY, BUT WHY IS CNN DEVOTING SPACE FOR A TRACK THAT DIPLO AND SWITCH HAVE SOLD TO A NUMBER OF ARTISTS. PUFFY AND SWIZZ BEATZ INCLUDED FOR DIRTY MONEY. THIS TRACK IS ALMOST 3 YEARS OLD. THERE IS NO COMPARING GAGA AND BEYONCE. SHE IS SLOWLY MARCHING TOWARD 30, AND GAGA HAS USED SOCIAL MEDIA TO GET HER BRAND BETTER THAN OPRAH (BYE MOTHER MOSES! , WON'T MISS YOU!) TO THE MASSES WHILE HIJACKING BEYONCE'S BRAND ON TWITTER (SMART MOVE JIMMIE).
    I LOVE GAGA BECAUSE SHE IS A MUSICIAN FIRST AND PERFORMER SECOND. BEYONCE IS A ROYAL FLUSH.

May 19, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Curt

This video is hilarious. Her fantasy about women running the world and men being afraid of them. That idea is almost as ridiculous as the "dancing". This girl is no Janet Jackson.

May 19, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Donald McRonald

crap will always be crap

May 19, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Sunshine Girl *

Didnt really sound like singing to me. More like chanting Id say. Whoever made the comment earlier about the African child..You may be right. I didnt see the African video your talking about but I did see Beyonces video last night on American Idol. Didnt like it at all. She can do so much better. And how long do you think itll be before her blonde is platnium? It seems to be getting lighter and lighter every time. Just something I noticed last night on American Idol. Did anyone else see it?

May 19, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  41. karen

.What beyonce is trying to do is mix her usual pop with a reggae beat buj it comes of wrong,she dont have the accent to mix both so it sounds creepy . Rihanna did the same with whats my name ,beyonce is not doing anything different

May 19, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pull the cart

It isn't "She don't". It's "She doesn't." Use "don't" with the plural and "doesn't" when referencing the singular. Improper grammar diminishes the power of the message one is trying to convey.

May 19, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  42. twisted

So I take it most of think being healthy is a bad thing

May 19, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Groupon

602-621-3688

May 19, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Maroonsista

Speak for yourself! I loved the song the very first time I heard it and bought the single immediately. I think it's hot to have a girl power anthem in the middle of all this other trash I'm hearing on the radio, including material from other female artists calling themselves out of their names. I actually liked the song more than the video though. I thought the lingerie was kinda pointless and awkward to watch at work. The dancers were hot though.

May 19, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Brnsug58

Just awful, didn't like the song or the video!! Get it together Beyonce, please!!!

May 19, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  46. LMRS

Did this remind anyone of the African Child video from Get Him to the Greek, besides me?
    Just awful.

May 19, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  47. @ Ravenessa

That's pretty bad when you turn to comparisons to Lady Gaga, J-Lo, and Britney. Since when were those artists considered talented? Then again, at least the stuff they put out sounds like singing... I mean what the heck is Beyonce trying to do? Her music used to SOUND like music... but now it seems that she's given up actual singing for random screaming/shouting in her songs.

May 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  48. wendy

The song is awful and that makes me not care about the video.Beyonce copies other artist like rihanna ,rihanna is more original and sets her own trend ,beyonce is a copycat .Terrible song

May 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ummm

Umm sorry sweetheart....Beyonce does not copy Rhianna who I enjoy quite a bit as well... they have very simliar styles of music but they are def very different from each other. I am not a big fan of this song (considering the beat was released last summer by the Jamaician artist Major Laser) but Beyonce is amazing.. All of her albums are fantastic....

May 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  49. JAMAL X

This is the most racist video I have ever seen ! Forcing a proud Aftican American LADY to perform for white folk while wearing virtually nothing is just wrong. This type of bigorty and predjudice went out of fashion in the 1920s. This is 2011 ! There is no place in todays society for this type of behavior ! You white people need to grow up !

May 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curt

You can't really call it racist when it's her choice to do it. Why do people always have to call everything racist. I think most of the time people that do that are the real racists.

May 19, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  50. sfgksdf

Hi haters

May 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  51. not a fan

NOT a fan of this video, or the song. It wants to be more than it is.

May 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Pope John Paul The Turd

This Byonce is terrible dancer, singer and she has legs like a tree trunk. She will not be allowed to visit The Vatican for the Holy Eating of the Doo Doo.

May 19, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Evel Knievel

I love the part with the Kool-Aid and the Newports.

May 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  54. lecny

Please people the woman isn't naked and I've seen worst in Madonna's videos. All Gaga and Beyonce are doing is the same thing Madonna did years ago. Nothing new.

May 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • VALRMI

That's true. That is exactly what I told my 17 year old. GaGa is a redo of the Material Girl. Beyonce is too!!!

May 19, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • MONESE

AMEN! However, that was before internet. Simply amazing!

May 20, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Elementary School Teacher

In some cultures it is considerd to be the best of luck for college age girls to not wear shirts. If we see a very pretty girl not wearing a top we should consider ourselves much blessed. This is a sign of future success and great happiness.

May 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Wtoak001

Absolutely painful to listen to.... A brilliant performer..singing drivel. Her writer should be fired at once.... unless it's her husband and then he should have been fired yesterday... Just awful. At least the dancing was hot...

May 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Elementary School Teacher

Tonight I plan to ask all my schoolchildren to watch the unedited version of this video and do a report on it. Children need to be taught they can become famous and rich if they dont wear pants when they become adults. People who dont wear pants are just more successful in life.

May 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • MONESE

Obviously there were a lot of people in Beyonce's dressing room to know that she didn't have any pants on. We have become such a judgmental society. I am glad that you are not teaching my kids. Teachers need to stay in their place and not impose their views on our children - that's the parents' jobs.

May 20, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Ravenessa

It was sort of a post apocalyptic almost Tina Turner style thing going, and the message is good. Who Run the World....you got it baby.......GIRLZ. After the onslaught of the recent chick releases, Gaga, Britney, JLO, Beyonce is the only one that changed up. Its different, odd, unique, and it has this strong message. She's not going to repeat her own pop/r&B history, she's going to make history. Thats what I loved, thats what stands out. JLO is beautiful to watch, her videos are like a magazine cover shoot, a lot of stills, and slow movement concentrating on that beautiful face, maybe less epic in the music. Britney is Britney, and I know everyone says "DANCE" and she doesnt deliver. GaGa is a powerhouse in an alien costume including weird ribs on her head and shoulders who thinks an egg is profound, but Beyonce? She's got it all, and she made it into something more. Keep reinventing the wheel, because thats how you do it.

May 19, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Judging by your response, it's pretty obvious that you lack proper brain functions.

May 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maroonsista

Agreed! I like what she's doing. As far as "lol," that person has it backwards. LOL is the one who can't seem to hold an intelligent conversation stating why he/she agrees with you. It's got to be about brain power, which he/she clearly didn't use much of to respond.

May 19, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maria

Men AND women rule the world! Yes, we have power, but the constant mention of it just seems to show that we don't... You don't see men bragging about "men power". They use it, don't sing it...

May 20, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • MONESE

I applaud your comments. I watched American Idol when an artist performed (I don't remember her name) but she was a Caucasian female singing with 50 cent. Let's talk about trashy. She hardly had on any clothes. If it is to be claimed trash - let's make it trash across the board. Her outfits are a little skimpy but at least they are tasteful. Let's face it 75 million people like it!

May 20, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Maria Michelle

Wow, y'all are probably the SAME parents who allow their children to watch Hannah Montana, iCarly, and Secret Life of An American Teenager.

May 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Garry

SUCKED BIG TIME..

May 19, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Kelly Rowland

She uh ho.

May 19, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Mar

What the hell was she thinking? It sucks, more so than anything else she's ever put out, and that's saying a lot considering she's put out very little that is worth listening too...

May 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Ian

The Verdict?

Beyonce is still black.

May 19, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Trisha Morris

This is not suitable to be on American Idol as a debut. Plus, she is deameaning herself as an artist and songwriter. I dont like it and will not let my kids watch it. It makes me like the song less, which was not that great to start .

May 19, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Tear

It was terrible! Why was this premiered on a family show? She is consistently naked and the outfits were totally outrageous! I am a young woman so it's not that I am old. It just seems trashy to me. She doesn't even wear pants in her videos or on stage any more. I guess everyone is following after Lady Gaga! The song is atrocious, the video was unrealistic and not creative. People have hyped her up to think that she is a real artist. She is a dancer, not even a really good singer and yet she is always thrust into our faces. Well my nieces and nephew will watch an edited version of American Idol this week. ( I always watch it first before and tape it to DVR!) TRASH! TRASH! TRASH!

May 19, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • mindy

Beyonce was out way before GAGA and will be around when GAGA is gone. You know nothing about her level of talent...

May 19, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Ned

Only Jesus can walk on water. Who does this silly beyonce think she is to attempt to compare herself to The Almighty.

May 19, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  67. elm

Not once have I ever purchased music based on a video. The music stands on its own without a video or it is a big steamy pile of horse manure just as Im sure this Beyonce abomination is.

May 19, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • moon627

Exactly ! The music sucks and i wouldnt call it singing – – the video is just GAGAish dancing without the good music

May 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |