Jennifer Lawrence thought twice about 'Hunger Games' role
May 19th, 2011

Jennifer Lawrence thought twice about 'Hunger Games' role

Just as “Hunger Games” fans were skeptical about Jennifer Lawrence taking on the role of the fiction trilogy's 16-year-old heroine, Katniss Everdeen, it turns out Lawrence was as well.

The 20-year-old Oscar nominee tells Entertainment Weekly that when she first took on the role, she knew “that as soon as I said yes, my life would change…I walked around an entire day thinking, ‘It’s not too late, I could still go back and do indies, I haven’t said yes yet, it’s not too late.’”

But author Suzanne Collins’ story of a teen forced to fight to the death in a government-organized, televised match won Lawrence over.

“I love this story,” she tells EW, “and if I had said no, I would regret it everyday.”

Not to mention that this past Oscar season primed her for the role.

Lawrence told “Hunger Games” director Gary Ross that with all of the hair and makeup and wardrobe people coming to her house, she felt “like a rag doll,” simply raising her arms so stylists could slip on her dress and pouting her lips for a lipstick touch-up.

She and Ross “both started laughing because that’s exactly what it’s like for Katniss in the Capitol. She was a girl who’s all of a sudden introduced to fame. I know what that feels like to have all this flurry around you and feel like, ‘Oh, no, I don’t belong here.’”

For more from Lawrence's interview and for photos of the actress as Katniss, pick up the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, on newsstands May 20. "Hunger Games" arrives in theaters on March 23, 2012.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. latino brides online

I am extremely impressed along with your writing talents and also with the structure for your blog. Is that this a paid subject or did you modify it your self? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it's uncommon to see a nice blog like this one these days..

April 28, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. geld verdienen op internet

I cherished as much as you'll receive performed right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nevertheless, you command get got an shakiness over that you wish be turning in the following. unwell indubitably come more previously again since precisely the same just about very regularly within case you protect this increase.

April 18, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. cursos a distancia gratis

I like the helpful information you provide on your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check again right here regularly. I am fairly certain I will be told a lot of new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the following!

March 31, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. katniss132

the way i pictured katniss is pretty close to Jennifer cant wait to see the rest of the cast

July 1, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jennifer who?

Ok this headline needs revision. I was expecting to see something about a Jennifer who mattered: JLo, J Husdon, J Aniston, J Love Hewett? someone i would actually give a F to read about

May 20, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. D

Why are people having a meltdown about a posed, re-touched, and edited picture? Are people really saying they will not see the movie b/c of this one picture? Relax...don't have a heart attack

May 20, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. DaisyinNY

When I first saw a picture of her I was like "Wow, she is WAY to old for the role of a 16 year old girl!" But Now that I see her in costume I feel a little better. It could have been worse...they coulda picked a disney "star" or something.

May 20, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. Denise Scheyd

If anyone had good casting sense they'ed cast Ocean Currier she's more the right type.

May 20, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. Local

They are filming about 2 miles from my office. Totally eerie place. Abandoned mill town on the Henry River. Whoever found this place to shoot is a genius!

May 20, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • DaleTex

A close friend of mine from Marshall was selected to be a part of the filming. His daughter unknowingly put his photo application in when she went hoping to get picked herself. He did and she didn't. Saturday he went for costume fitting and they gave him a different haircut. You are right about the location. He will fit right in!

May 20, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. TheWordMaster

I'm just excited to see Hugh Laurie as Haymitch!

May 20, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Kris

Woody Harrelson was cast as Haymitch. Hugh Laurie is a little busy with his TV show.

May 20, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sunshine Girl *

If your gonna turn a novel into a film, at least stay true to the looks of the main character. In this story looks are important to the theme. Hollywood has ruined another good story. Shouldnt be surprized. Isnt the 1st time.

May 20, 2011 at 4:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Really!

Really? They've ALREADY ruined it? How could you know that if you haven't seen the movie? I'll bet you're a pretty busy person and don't have time to see the movie before judging it's quality. Much faster/easier/less time consuming to decide now how good or bad it will be.

Kudos to you for being so efficient with your time. Unfortuately, it only makes you sound silly when you do it.

Will she be a good Katniss? I won't know until I see the movie. But I'm funny that way.

May 20, 2011 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. tyler

i pictured Emma stone as katniss lol

May 20, 2011 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  13. My Name is Mud

The name Katniss is really bad.

May 20, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. Daniel

She looks incredibly hot on that cover. I think i'm getting it tomorrow. Winter's Bone was great, although really dark and gritty

May 19, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Blackbeard

I just finished the 3rd book today. I had no idea they were doing a movie about it. I was a little disappointed but what do you expect from Hollyweird!

May 19, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lloyd Christmas

Who is Jennifer Lawrence.

May 19, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Liinny

She just doesnt suit Katniss. To be honest having an oscar nomination does not automatically make you right for the aesthetics of Katniss. All three leads are disappointing. I dont think I ll see the movie.

May 19, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. *Corriebeth

Stephen, normally I would agree that it's not the look of the actor/actress but how the capture the spirit of the character they are portraying; however, Katness Everdeen's look is a huge part of who she is, especially her age and size. Jennifer looks her age and it's much more gripping to watch a young 16 year old go off to "war" than a fully grown adult. Also, Katniss is a starving girl who forages and hunts for food. She needs to be portrayed by a tiny (not short but very small) actress. Again, watching a starving, extremely tiny girl go off to fight to the death is much more powerful than a woman who is not starving and is of good health and strength. Just my humble opinion. I do hope that they do a good job but their choices have been TERRIBLE...especially for Katniss and Peeta!!!

May 19, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mitch

Keep in mind that a dedicated actor can physically transform themselves to fit the intricacies of a role. Case in point: Christian Bale in "The Machinist". If this young woman wants to embody the role, she can train (properly) to present a waifish, starving teenager. The question then remains, is that what the powers-that-be want from her? Or do they simply want her to keep her look and sell the audience with her performance alone?

May 20, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  19. stephen

Katniss's looks aren't what make her katniss. Everybody needs to stop getting hung up on the fact that she isn't how you pictured her. Everybodies image is different. Wait till march 23 to judge how much like katniss she is.

May 19, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  20. eric

I hope they do the books justice!

May 19, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Samantha

She may be a good actress, but she does not even resemble Katniss. The casting for the three main characters has been so disappointing. Marketing at Lions Gate are publishing pictures to make her look younger, but she still looks older and bigger all around from the character that we came to love in the books.

May 19, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Taylor

So wrong- I like her and all but she's not Katniss (I guess she is but not the book Katniss). Katniss is supposed to be olive skin (different than just tan) with dark black hair, not pretty at first glance, and nearly starving, but quite fit. I hope they do the books justice though. I love the Harry Potter books and the 7th movie but 1-5 were pretty watered down vresions of the books. Let's hope the Hunger Games does better.

May 20, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  22. aj

WOW!...Jennifer Lawrence=Katniss Everdeen!. I think Lawrence looks fantastic and I can't wait for this film!.

May 19, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Texas

I think she is perfect for the role.

May 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jennifer

I was very excited when I found out they were making a film about the books. I think she will do a great job as Katniss.

May 19, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Ali

Wow. That picture is not Katniss to me AT ALL. Jennifer Lawrence is all wrong for the role.

May 19, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*Jeff

You are crazy. Looks perfect to me. Oscar nominated at 20 ! C mon !

May 19, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

I think she fits it perfectly! I was skeptical at first but now that I see her in costume, I can see her doing really well as Katniss. I can't wait to see Josh as Peeta.

May 19, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

Katniss cannot be a nasty looking hairy little refugee like she is in the beginning of the book, this is the Hollywood. Once polished after her trip to the Capitol, this is a good idea of what I pictured.

May 20, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |