Could 'Bridesmaids' get a sequel?
May 19th, 2011

Could 'Bridesmaids' get a sequel?

“Bridesmaids” star Melissa McCarthy says she’s not at all surprised that the comedy, also starring Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph, has been so well-received.

“I loved it so much [and] I was so proud of all the women in it, and the script,” McCarthy tells New York Magazine’s Vulture, adding that she thought producers Judd Apatow and Paul Feig, who also directed the project, did “just a perfect job” with the film.

“I thought, ‘My God, if people don’t love this, I’m going to pack up and move back to Illinois,’” she says. “People just seem to love it, and I love it, and I can’t be that crazy.”

The movie, which follows the hilarity that happens after Kristen Wiig’s Annie becomes the maid of honor for her best friend’s wedding, opened strong with $26 million last weekend.

So when thinking about a sequel, Feig tells Vulture, “It depends how we do in the next couple weeks, but I know there's definitely ... it's already been brought up.”

Besides, he adds, “when you get a group that's this deep and this good, it's a crime to not use them again. You just want to make sure that you do it as well as you did the first one and try to make it better, even. So, we're up for the challenge.”

Hopefully co-writer/co-producer Annie Mumolo, who penned “Bridesmaids” along with Wiig, could still squeeze in a sequel if it came to pass. Mumolo has just picked up another gig, securing a deal to develop a project for ABC.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Mumolo has landed a blind script deal for a show that will be produced by Tagline, the company behind USA’s “Psych.”

Filed under: movies

1. 2 thumbs down

I saw it in an empty theater and it took about 30 minutes before anyone laughed. Boring in the beginning and not all that hilarious except for Melissa McCarthy. I'm tired of Kristen wigg. She's worn out her welcome.

May 20, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. Amazingly Enough

The fat chick from the Gilmore Girls is now quite popular. Imagine that!

May 20, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. Just me?

Am I the only person who gags at the sight of Maya Rudolph?

May 20, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. susan

OMGod, this movie is pretty much the funniest thing I have ever seen! I am going to see it with some friends again this weekend. SEE IT! Weeeee!

and p.s. Kristen Wigg = Hott!!

May 20, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. MOLady1957

Saw this last weekend. The theater was packed, and everyone was laughing so hard you could hardly hear the dialogue part of the time. Yes, men, women do talk this way and act this way. Absolutely hilarious, and as others have noted....NOTHING like the equally funny Hangover...

May 20, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. LaDell

A sequel for sure. Im still highly impressed that these ladies comedy was done with much less Alchohol & Legal drugs only & equally funny as the Hangover Boys. I agree they need another wedding the wedding planning comp. between helen & anne me & my girlfriend where talking about that as we left the theater we thought that was going to be part of the ending. Also they so need to make it to vegas.
    SL

May 20, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. Groupon

?

May 20, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sunshine Girl *

A sequel? I could barely get thru the 1st one. Yeah I agree. Pass the barf bag.

May 20, 2011 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. My Name is Mud

I'm just not a fan of fart/vomit/bowel movement jokes. Grow up, people.

May 20, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Merg Terglement

The ironing is delicious

May 20, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

If your not a fan of fart/vomit/bowel movement jokes...Than you are not American! That movie was so funny I saw it twice already. Jon Hamm is sooooo Hott. I would definately give him a "lap nap"

May 20, 2011 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. hatemail

I thought duh star wuzz maya rudolph Yeaaa okayy

May 19, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sarah

I really want to see this. my friend said it was hilarious. hoping i can convince my boyfriend to go see it with me.

May 19, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cg

Watched some activities in a trailer park it was free and there was fresh air

May 19, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mejazzbo

The only shining star in the film was Melissa McCarthy. Without her the big laugh of the film would have been poop humor. Sequel... I don't think so. It just wasn't that funny, but that never stopped Hollywood before. They shouldn't have billed it as the female "Hangover". Expectations were too high.

May 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lilian Speaks

I watched this movie opening weekend. As soon as I left the theatre I posted staight to facebook telling all my friends to go see it. I laughed from start to finish. I loved it and have been telling everyone I know. Trust me, if you need a good laugh, go see it! This is NOT just a chick flick either. Totally hilarious! On my top 5 list.

May 19, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Superhiro

Almost got dragged to this a couple days ago. Now I'm thinking I shouldn't have resisted so hard. From what I hear it's actually really funny.

May 19, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • ol cranky

It was hysterical – a movie that could be enjoyed by people who like Apatow movies and people with a more cerebral sense of humor as well.

They set the movie up for sequel pretty well. I could actually see it starting with Kristin Wiig's & Rose Byrne's characters now in business together moving into planning either Wiig's character or Melissa McCarthy's character's wedding.

May 20, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  16. ominous_goo

This is just a slightly different version of The Hangover, how about an original movie, all they did was change a few things so people wouldn't know it's the same theme....movie goers aren't mindless idiots but I think some movie makers are!!

May 19, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

It was completely different than the Hangover...did you even see it? Other that it taking place before a wedding, it had nothing in common. There wasn't even a bachlorette party.

Anyway, while some of the humor was directed with a female slant, it definitely wasn't a chick flick. Guys will like it too.

May 19, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

This movie is light-years away from, and better than, "The Hangover." I enjoyed that one, don't get me wrong, but this one was far more entertaining.

May 20, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
    • WhiteRussian

Nothing like the hangover...other than it is about as funny....

May 20, 2011 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  17. annamaria peres

I heard the movie was pretty damned good

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJGachsPnk&w=640&h=390]

May 19, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. sunnyday

LOVED it! It was so great to see such a strong ensemble of talented and hilarious actresses. Ladies represent!!

May 19, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. KK

This movie was awesome and HYSTERICAL! Perfect idea for a sequel – Annie and Helen have partnered up and started an event planning business with Annie doing the baking. And of course, Annie is marrying Nathan (the cop). And hopefully they all make it to Vegas the second time around! :)

May 19, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  20. nwmom

I have never seen a funnier movie. It is not a chick flick like I feared.

May 19, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  21. LL

I saw this movie last weekend – it's hilarious. I really hope that there's a sequel with Kirsten Wiig's character as the one who's getting married because the cop was really cute! Also, the British roomies were hysterical! There's been a dryspell with good comedies lately, so the movie was fun to watch.

May 19, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Greedo

Hmmm... The hot receptionist from The Office is in this movie? Not bad! I might actually see this one. She's a tasty little morsel.

May 19, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Texasnative

Ok don't know if this is a website to pick up big girls now? Anyway movie was hilarious.Kristen Wiig is way past SNL now . All the actresses were great and can't wait for sequel. Hangover who ?

May 19, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Groupon

6026213688

May 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mormon

Hell, I don't care, but that heavyset chick is doing it for me

May 19, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |