Gibson's 'The Beaver' gets standing O at Cannes
May 18th, 2011

Gibson's 'The Beaver' gets standing O at Cannes

He’s gone from Oscars to exile. Can he ever come back? Don’t miss “Acting Out: The Mel Gibson Story” on CNN , Sunday night at 8 ET , to see the many sides of Mel Gibson.

Mel Gibson’s “The Beaver” may not have had a strong open when it bowed in 22 theaters in early May, but the crowd at Cannes loved it.

According to Deadline, the film received a 10-minute standing ovation for both “The Beaver” and Gibson. Directed by and co-starring Jodie Foster, “The Beaver” tells the story of a depressed toy company executive (Gibson) who begins using a beaver hand puppet to help turn his life back around.

Deadline reports that Foster – who rallied around her friend Gibson and encouraged U.S. audiences to take his performance at face value – told the press at Cannes that she’d made the film with a “European sensibility” and expected the audience to be receptive.

Although he missed the press event at Cannes, Gibson, who has been embroiled in controversy over the past several months, did arrive to show his support for the premiere.

When the film opened earlier this month, it drew only $104,000 at the box office, but a Summit Entertainment exec said that it was less about Gibson and more about the nature of the film.

“I don’t think this is as much a repudiation of Mel and his personal life as it is about a film with difficult subject matter,” Summit Entertainment president of domestic distribution Richie Fay told the Los Angeles Times regarding the film's poor performance. “As it turns out, I think the film is more of an art-house specialty kind of movie than a broader commercial film….even though it’s got a commercial actor in it like Mel Gibson.”

Filed under: Cannes Film Festival 2011 • movies

1. AccetBepNeecy

С удовольствием прочитал, отличный сайт! http://testoser3.ru
    testoser4BB
    testoser5Html

August 27, 2011 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. Roza M

Boycotting Gibson

May 22, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Loach

Give me a break! People turn a blind eye to people like Michael Jackson, Polanski, R Kelly, Chris Brown and more but want to throw Gibson under the bus! Please, what a double standard. People are such hypocrites!

That woman set him up, duh… people, stop acting like blind, ignorant hypocrites.. really!

May 22, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. senor boogie woogie

I wonder if John Hinkley has seen the film? Or Jodie's girlfriend?

May 20, 2011 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Deb

Mel Gibson, STILL The Man!!!!, just see the Movie Acopolypto and if yu Have a Brain any at all yu'll see how Brilliant this man IS with his Work!!! This man Has Vision, which Holliwood LACKs!! (just see Avatar, and Immedietely yu'll see it was 'somewhat' a CLONE of Mel's Acopolypto)!!! Mel's a GENIUS!!!

May 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Superhiro

Wait a minute... isn't Cannes the same festival that just banned that other director for comments towards jews that were not even close to as bad as the comments Gibson made? I call double standard.

May 19, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. alex zandra psychic

interesting.

May 19, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Richard Allen

Mel Gibson movie? eh might check it out...wait, it has Jodie Foster? And she directs it? Lets have a look!

May 19, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Clem Kadiddlehopper

Mel Gibson did not abuse that Oksana woman. She ACCUSED him of it. She did the same thing to Timothy Dalton 10 years ago. Got pregnant by him, tried to get money out of him, cried "abuse!" and was made to be the victim. She is a piece of work and has a reputation of going after rich men like Dalton and Gibson. Mel Gibson has also undergone counseling for his alcoholism. He is an angry drunk and knows it and is getting help. As far as the statement made that Hollywood "protects its own" is not true. Gibson is a conservative so therefore Hollywood has thrown him to the wolves, with the rare exception of a few, including Jodie Foster. Hollywood supports rapists like Roman Polanski because he is "so talented". I've met Mel. He is a humble man who has problems just like everyone else. He's someone you'd love to have at a family BBQ – he's funny, intelligent and real. As far as his anti-semitic remarks, I know lots of people say lots of stuff when they are drunk. I heard my neighbor say the worst things about his wife when he got rip-roaring drunk, and none of them were true. Someone recorded him on a cell phone video, and when he watched it after he sobered up, he was horrified. He had no idea where that came from. He had a lot of apologizing to do not only to his wife, but his kids and friends too. Alcohol makes you do crazy stuff. I can't wait to see "The Beaver", and I hope the studio does the right thing and releases it everywhere instead of a few select theaters. Every review I've read says it is great and Mel deserves an Oscar nod for his performance. I hope Mel continues to act and direct and most importantly, get his life together.

May 19, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • loach

Well said!!

That woman set him up, duh… people, stop acting like blind, ignorant hypocrites?

May 22, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. aj

Thats how your Leathal Weapon mouth cost you and your career!

May 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TheWordMaster

Wow...looks like some guy woke up on the wrong side of his mom's basement...

May 19, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SoS

Man, I thought this article was going to be about the other Beaver. Now I have to troll elsewhere...

Then again, Mel is always good for a laugh.

May 19, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bob Dog

The beaver must be a gentile. And he must enjoy being verbally assaulted with the f-bomb in the middle of drunken tirades.

May 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. High

There is only one 'the Beaver' and his name is Jerry Mathers.

May 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Name*Eddie Haskell

I'm losing my mind. When I read the headline I was thinking "why is Jerry mathers getting a standing o". Then I read the article. Well I'm happy for Mel but also a little sad for the beav. He could use some recognition too!

May 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Shirley

What a bunch of wannabe political correct tards...Geez, at least Mel Gibson does quality work whether he acts, directs or writes. I do not care about his private life anymore than he cares about mine. And if several hypocrits here had others taking a long look at them and there own actions they may seem worse than Mel or Charlie put together!

May 19, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  17. What?

Mel's Beaver got a standing orgasm?

May 19, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Klambert

Interesting how everyone wants bash Mel. Showing a bit of intolerance there yourself, aren't ya? I think Mel's a great actor and will see the movie when it comes to DVD. Everyone has personal problems. Fortunately, mine don't get showcased as celebrities and politicians do. For all the nasayers on Mel. Don't throw stones in glass houses. You wouldn't want the media to spin your personal life the way they want the public to view it and that is exactly what happens.

May 19, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  19. PeteH

IN YOUR OPINION he is a racist. You say that because he is white. Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

May 19, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Daniel Troppy

This subject and theme of this film just looks boring.....

May 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. fred

I never understood the point of Cannes. Aren't the highest grossing movies of all time, American made? Who gives a flying f*** what the French think?

May 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Kristy Hardin

I would see this movie because Jodie Foster stars in it.

May 19, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  23. EAC

The French cheered an anti-Semite? Who didn't see that coming

May 19, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Dutch

He'll never get any more of my money if I can jelp it. He's no longer a nice person. And that makes a lot of difference to me.

May 19, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. vernon leigh

I salute gib wit my middle finger. Sit & spin on it.

May 19, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kashbmaryd

Mel is not superhuman. He has screwed it up bigtime in the last few years. But know this, if that idiot Imus can have a show after what he said about those Rutgers girls, then surely Mel ought to be able to continue his film career. I mean come on, I live in the south and I see rebel flags on my state's liscence plates

May 19, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Don JJ

Women stop complaining, you have more rights. Jews stop whining you are rich. Blacks stop whining you all ready have handouts and programs.

May 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Bill

I thought the article was going to be about Jerry Mathers, the only real "The Beaver".

May 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Scott

Love Mel and I can't wait to see this movie. Gibson is talented and has more dynamic presence on screen than nearly anyone that is a "star" these days. His close friends, those that know him best, stand by him. And these are friends that are Jewish, black, liberal, gay, women... Hmm... let's see.... Do I take the word and actions of the people who actually know him, or do I listen to the gossip sites.... I'll go with the friends. Much luck to you Mel, stay strong, stay sober, keep working on yourself, just like we all have to do to some degree.

May 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Adrienne Smith

Mel has too much "baggage". I will avoid anything he is involved with so he doesn't get a dime.

May 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Anthony Kraudelt

Could this be Mels return?

Anthony Kraudelt
    4820 Rands Road
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302

May 19, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  32. geo

I would gladly give Jerry Mather's a standing ovation, but not POS misogynist, racist and anti-semite mel Gibson.

May 19, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  33. apele

I like Family Guy's take on Mel Gibson

May 19, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  34. JoAnn

As people they are flawed and aren't we all? Obviously, they lack judgement; and morality is not their strong suit, but that hasn't impaired their acting ability. Included in the group is Russell Crowe. He's had his scuffs with Hollywood and the law, is said to be arrogant and difficult to work with, but look at the body of work he's produced. Everything he's done is exceptionall! I really don't care who threw a phone in a hotel, who was taped screaming expletives, or who is "winning". I just want to be entertained.

May 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Richard Gozinya

Oh , I read this thinking the OTHER beaver . My bad .

May 19, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Dena

Re-reading everyone's comments....the majority of them sound just as violent as they see Mel. Go figure.

May 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Eric Cartman

Awesome, a movie where Mel spends the whole time with his fist inside a hairy beaver! Count me in! Mel Gibson, you are mein Feurer!

May 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Dena

Kudos to Jodie Foster!! You go girl, always ending up on top because you are smart enough to get us all to stop and look. Can't wait to see what you do next.

May 19, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  39. pleasure

Not the first beaver to get a standing O-face!

May 19, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Hollywood

They are quite desperately trying to make it seem respectable, but this movie is a MASSIVE turkey. It's a bomb bigger than the world's biggest hydrogen bomb. Even "Ishtar" with Dustin Hoffman wasn't as bad as this... What an embarrassment. Mel should retire now!

May 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

The French probably gave him a standing ovation to annoy the Americans.

May 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Lee

"Nice beaver!". "Thanks, I just had it stuffed"...

May 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Mel Da Man

MEL IS DA MAN.

May 19, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Darkie

Hey Mel. Let yo hatuh b yo motivaduh. PIECE OUT!!

May 19, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  45. jmdavis

Still a racist, hope mel meets karma

May 19, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  46. Deb

I wouldn't support any project of his that puts a dime in that anti-Semetic's pocket!

May 19, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  47. Jillian

The stigma of mental illness and lack of showings in the U.S. is why this movie didn't make millions. I hope Foster and Gibson rake it up abroad!

May 19, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  48. John Z

Of course Gibson got a standing ovation. The man is one of thee best actors on the planet. I can't wait for this movie to go DVD so I can see it. If it'd been offered in theaters openly, nation-wide, it would've garnered multiple millions!

May 19, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  49. Garth

Party on Wayne!

May 19, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  50. Wayne

Party on Garth!

May 19, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  51. Dsn63

To each his own,a person likes indie or foreign films is not better than anyone else they just like films that have depth.Nothing personal.

May 19, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  52. charlie crack

@rob-good point!

May 19, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  53. charlie crack

Take that negative trash elsewhere.....think youre only one that can talk like that??? Think again....."talk about some and they just might find ya".....look behind you.....! Oh, its just your mommy!

May 19, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  54. rob

Unlike charlie, lindsay, and the rest of the degenerate hollywood crowd, Mel made the cardinal mistake of uttering an anti-semitic comment. In hollywood, any kind of depraved behavior or anti American sentiment is applauded, just don't use the j word.

May 19, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  55. Paula Dixon

RIchie Fay needs to admit that the only reason this movie failed was due to his company doing the worst marketing possible....

May 19, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  56. charlie crack

@yolanda- that itty bitty thing wouldnt poke a hole in a wet napkin! No peacenik if you wana go there. "C*m guzzlin gutter trash d**k in the mouth b***h!" huh? Uh huh....say something trick!

May 19, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  57. Matthew Posten

What a misleading headline. I am sure I am not the only person who clicked on this article thinking it was about Theodore CLeaver, the one and only Beaver. Many people care alot more about Beaver Cleaver then about that pin head, racist, creep mel gibson. It's been all downhill for mel since Road Warrior. MAybe he can make another anti-sematic movie to encourage pin headslike himeself to hate jews, or maybe he should just signup for a age match with ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER–oh I forgot, he only fights women.

May 19, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  58. humtake

Gibson is one of the great talents of our time. What I find the funniest is that if you take the biggest talents from the last 100 years and dive into their personal lives, you will find people far worse than Gibson. And I'm talking about acts from the 20s and 30s up to today. Nowadays, there is no privacy but back then you never heard a word about them, yet they are all people who were bigoted, women beaters or had secrets much worse than that. People think any popular person in the media is somehow better than them, and they aren't. They are the same people we all are. Get over it. Stop putting them on a pedestal.

May 19, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Gis Bun

There is a differece between now and then. Then, people didn't seem to care about racists and wife beaters. They do now.

May 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Hi : - ,

Hello! Money,power it will be hell on earth for Mr. S -K! You don't help the people that are in need!! 3,000 FOR A SUIT! You can feed alot of poor people!

May 19, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  60. gee whizz!

What is the male equivalent of the derogatory female 'beaver'?

May 19, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  61. Manny Schwartz

Everyone knows jews love to eat Beef-a-Roni. Why persecute Mel for speaking the truth?

May 19, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  62. Leon

All they're trying to do is breath life into a dead film with fake promotion by Nazi loving racists and anti semites. I will boycott the beaver, and you should too. Do not allow hate filled people like Mel Gibason to work in this world again. Boycott the Beaver, and CNN for running this article.

May 19, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Ariel Keller

Thank you Leon for your racist comments. Im jewish and will see Mels films several times. See we jews have deep pockets and will make up for your lack of finances. HA HA HA!

May 19, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  63. Yolanda Weiner

I dont care if Jodie munches carpet or not I would still slide my weiner up her rump.

May 19, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  64. Jimmer

Or is it more about the lack of depth and understanding of American audiences who seem to want to see blow things up action movies and shallow plots.

May 19, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  65. andy

What mel said against jews isn't racist. He said what all roman catholics say.

May 19, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  66. andy

isn't racist and anti_semetic the same thing?

May 19, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  67. charlie crack

@yolanda- you have the "weiner". Up yours racist hate monger!

May 19, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Yolanda Weiner

Charlie. Stop with your Hating, put my huge weiner in your mouth and nurse like a baby to a bottle you silly peacenik. Now SUCK IT!

May 19, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  68. frank

Love Mel, we all have skeletons in our closet.

May 19, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  69. dave nelson

Good grief, people. How many of you are perfect? None. How many of you said things or done things that were foolish or wrong? I am willing to bet all of you. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can truly get on the right path. Mel made many mistakes, it's true. However, the last one may have very well been the one to break the camel's back, so to speak. I, for one, am glad that my errors were never fodder for the media and the public at large, so only those closest t me could judge. Walk a mile in his shoes before you judge an inch of his actions.

May 19, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
    • me

There is a huge difference between "not being perfect" and doing what Gibson has done. Using your logic, you must excuse everything. So what if somebody is a murderer, we all make mistakes. Everything is not black and white. Hopefully you'll learn that.

May 19, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  70. mel is the worst actor ever

If anyone could just get parts playing themselves we could all be rich famous actors. Mel, you are a no-talent ass clown. Please go away.

May 19, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  71. wjmknight

Good for Mel. I hope Zack Galiwhateverthefv<khisname is eats it big time.

May 19, 2011 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  72. TheWordMaster

I say yay. Gibon needed to get his life back on track. This should help him along. And remember haters: Robert Downey Jr went through tough times too. Now he's a spectacular actor. Could the same be said for Mel? Only time will tell...

May 19, 2011 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  73. nemo

I wish mel would do the passion part 2...cuz he kinda left us hanging there..get it..hanging there...

And I really liked him in star wars when he fell off the thingy in the dessert...and the sand thingy ate him up...like a crispy vanilla wafer.

I didn't understand the passion...definitely need a part 2...

May 19, 2011 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  74. Jackson

He's a jerk. He beat up a woman. Don't forget that.

May 19, 2011 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris Benoit's Ghost

He did nothing more than wrangle her in due to her forgetting her gosh darned place. Women need to be reminded of their place and societal roles. Kudos to Chris Brown, Russell Crowe, Mike Tyson, Charlie Sheen, Nicholas Cage and Mel "Mad Max" Gibson!! Women belong in the kitchen!

May 19, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • schnuptz

shouldnt you be out making you woman some money then? slacker!

May 19, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  75. mckee

I've done a lot of stuff I'm not proud of, the difference is my stuff isn't plastered all over TMZ. I'm all for second chances. But since we're bringing Charlie into the conversation I heard he starved a dog. Unforgivable, hope its not true.

May 19, 2011 at 5:06 am | Report abuse |
  76. Brucemo

Don't much like Mel. I'll go see this though because the previews look good, and because Mel seems to be an actor here rather than someone trying to create the whole package. I'll watch him but not another insane snuff film he originates.

May 19, 2011 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  77. sally sue

Id sure like to hook up with fosters boyfriend that got beat to death in *the brave one* yummy!

May 19, 2011 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  78. Robert

Ah, the French, the French – they adore men who abuse women and have a love of virulent anti-semitism. Poor, victimized Mel should move there permenently.

May 19, 2011 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  79. ~Sher~

CONGRATS to Jodie & Mel on an excellent movie..am sure they both knew they would be 'judged' by the 'holier-than-thou' lot but they proceeded with what they do best...make thought-provoking & entertaining movies!

May 19, 2011 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  80. zoe

Great director/actor, Jodie Foster..and Mel Gibson,great actor, great performance. Its time to move on..so he said some negative stuff about the jews boo hoo! Our country says the N-word every 2 seconds without batting an eyelash every 2 seconds..music, films, subways,etc..stop kvetching..you don't hear any public out cry about that? Moving along..next subject...!

May 19, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  81. Cynthia

Sounds like the extended Hollywood crowd rallies around one of its own regardless of their personalities or personal beliefs. Mel Gibson has some huge baggage, ranting against Jews, women, etc., but, hey, he's one of 'them' so have his back. After all, he has the bucks to produce more, they could all get jobs...but no morals or conscience. I could see loving the movie, but a standing ovation for Gibson is icky.

May 19, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  82. FunnyValentine

I will be the first in line to see this movie when it debuts nationwide.

May 19, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  83. Sayza

I will not see any movie that Gibson is starring in or that he has directed/produced. He is racist and anti-semetic and I have no time for someone like him.

May 19, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  84. Hi :)-

Hey Hi :)- here is the news you have been waiting for!!

Dominique Strauss-Kahn has told the board of the International Monetary Fund of his intention to resign as its chief.

>+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Yes it has been posted!!

May 19, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  85. Steve The Angry Midget

I have bad news. I don't have any legs. Or arms. Or ears. Or eyes. I'm a lump of goo. I've been told I smell like a mix between chocolate, coffee, and a bowl of lard. But ultimately, I am a billionaire!

May 19, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  86. Peter

Still so tired of people saying the movie opened and bombed...it just started rolling out. It only opened at 22 theaters. No, it was doing small theater boo-koo dollars. But, open it wide, then lets see how terrible it is.

May 19, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  87. me

i wish natalie portman would go nude for a movie role

May 18, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Hi : )

Thank you,CNN for your work.

May 18, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Hi : (

If CNN did not like what I tex they would have Not let that go through! CASE CLOSED!

May 18, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Hi : (

Excuse me! Pedi! If You Don't Know about Stauss-Kahn go online and read up.

May 18, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Hi : (

I am really afraid for all the women that have to deal with STAUSS-KAHN. Must keep him in jail!

May 18, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  92. what the #*@#

@Hi:( Stauss-Kahn?? What are you talking about? What does your request have to with this article? Go peddle crazy somewhere else!

May 18, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Hi : (

CNN,You have the power to do something! Pleople listen to you!! How safe will it be if STAUSS-KAHN is set free? FOR WOMEN IT WILL BE HELL ON EARTH!

May 18, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Hi : (

CNN, IF YOU PLEASE! Find a way to help that 32 yr old women in New York! Stauss-Kahn is a very dangerous man!! To women! Please HELP!

May 18, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Old School

LOL MrsFizzy and Mark C

Neither do I have a clue on what "European sensibilities" is supposed to mean.

Jodie doesn't know what she meant either.

May 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  96. iammerightnow

I love how everyone is quick to bash and name call, the only diference between them and you is you don't have your stupidity put out on the news. Guess that would make all you either non newsworthy or not tallented enough to get where they did!..... un the upside at least they show there true colors.....

May 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Jewbian

Its worth going to see this if it means the theatre will be jew free.

May 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  98. mejazzbo

Caught the movie on monday. More entertaining and interesting than most movies of recent release. Lots of heart!

May 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Mabey I'm amazed

Amazing the lack of constructive comments is exceeded only by the low rent gayster jr high talk.
    sad...

May 18, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Freedom!!!!

I'm still awaiting Braveheart II, where William Wallace is resurrected as a crazy wife beating drunk hell bent on eradicating the world of Jews and minorities.

May 18, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

lol! comments like these (and your "name") brighten my work day. ha!

May 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Mary

Mr. Gibson has always had issues with beaver.

May 18, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  102. lolarites

Looks like Cannes has been overrun with anti semites and misogynists. Maybe it always was. Remember they went crazy for Jerry Lewis, go figure.

May 18, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Woosie

Good for you Mel! The Hollywood so called elite can jam it where the sun don't shine.

May 18, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Softy

Huh? You DO realize that Mel Gibson is a big-time Hollywood movie star and director? That comment doesn't even make sense.

May 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark C

Right moron - the Hollywood elite who keep financing his pictures again and again, no matter how many times he makes a complete @ss of himself. Yeah, Mel is super opressed. Poor baby,

May 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  104. bill

Mel is a great actor – and I look forward to seeing the film.

May 18, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  105. MrsFizzy

Anyone understand this? Foster said "she’d made the film with a “European sensibility” – not sure how many European movies I can think of that involve a grown man speaking via a hand-puppet in a phony accent, but oh well. I guess she means not so many car crashes and explosions, more talking?

May 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Eliska

I told u so. Mel Gibson has more credibility then Chaarlie Sheen will ever have. I can't believe people support aa guy that has history of beating up women. Gibson has a made mistakes and he has acknowledge that and he should be forgiven. He has made some amazing films. I will always staand by him and hope he gets an Oscar nod and than he can laught. He is a human being and just like everyone else. Looking forward to seeing this film.

May 18, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark C

Hilarious. That's like saying he has more brains than Paris Hilton will ever have. He's also more handsome than Danny DeVito will ever be - you forgot to add that part.

May 18, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry

The Beavr toy allows Mel to cover up the brass knuckles when he is beating women about ha lf his size...remember his is a little short guy about 5' 6" and it gives him a chance to show that he is a family man who can easily whip up on small women...I doubt that he is EVER so drunk that he trys to whip anohter man...very smart....

May 19, 2011 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  107. Softy

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have to say I was suprised to find myself actually kinda tear up a bit during the trailer.

May 18, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  108. bailoutsos

Does the Beaver get drunk and spout racial slurs?

May 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stovepipe

Mel didn't use a racial slur. He referred to Jews as "Jews."

May 18, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenna

I also get drunk and spout racial slurs, but nobody listens to me...

May 18, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tbone

You're a jerk. I just spit my afternoon coffee onto my computer screen. Sorry Boss!

May 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

@stovepipe. Yes those "Jews responsible for 9/11 and all wars." -Mel G. Talk about splitting hairs.

May 18, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Tully

Good. Enough of comic book heroes, robots and car chases.

May 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beaver

Yeah because a grown man with his hand up my @ss is so much better. How about you let Mel shove his fist in your culo and then tell me how it feels?

May 19, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  110. jesus

I am glad Mel's anti-Semitism has been cured and he is doing better. I am sure he will need the money for his next divorce.

May 18, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gis Bun

"Cured"? I don't think you can cure being a racist, a wife beater, a moron, and a just plain bad actor. Just like you can't be cured of being a drunk [like he is]. You'll never see him gain any acting awards [well except Razzees]. Only movie I liked of his was Braveheart and I'm not sure if he got any awards for that.

May 19, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

doesn't ANYONE replying to this article have a sense of humor?!

May 19, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Biever Stein

As a Jewish beaver I for one will not watch this picture... .

May 18, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jewbian

good. I wont have to worry about ur jew fro blocking my view.

May 18, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roger Goldleader

I laughed, I cried. One of the most amusing comments I've ever read.

May 19, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Floyd

@Biever Stein – Think real hard if you have ever in your life called someone or referred to someone else as a goy, Shaygetz or Shvartz. I bet at some point you have. If not you, then someone close to you has. I know I have been called the first 2 on many occasions. Nobody likes a racial slur, no matter what side of the fence you are on, but I also forgive and promote healing and understanding. The man can direct and act. No denying the talent. Alcoholism is within evry family. No family is immune to it, so it is also amazing to me the amount of people that hate him because of that addiction.
      I would also bet you would go see or rent a Polanski film. Where do your moral standards start and end?

May 19, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

um, floyd i would say he was kidding. seek help man.

May 19, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Floyd

Though I am not convinced they were, I'll take your word for it. It still applies to all the other hypocritical vitriol spewed out on this board....from all directions.

May 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Chippy McChipperson

Ah, shucks, guys. Thanks for the shout outs. I sincerely appreciate that you like me so much. From the bottom of Chip's heart, thank you very much. Chips love you almost as much as you love chips. Chips!

May 18, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Processed Potatosnack

No, thank YOU, Chips. We all know you're the real hero here. Chips have always been delish and don't let candy tell you otherwise. I love a good chip all the time! Chips!

May 18, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • firej

Seriously what does it matter, Mel and Charlie have ef you money!

May 19, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  113. I C U P

The reason Mel received this standing ovation is because he likes to eat candy and chips. I do, too! They taste really good. Please applaud me now. Chips!

May 18, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben Dover

eye see you pee, that is awesome! I like chips and candy, too. we should totally have a picnic. If they were showing the Beaver in an outdoor theater, we could watch it and dine on chips and candy together. Chips!

May 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • meh

You're not funny...
      And yes, it's pretty obvious you replied to your own comment.

May 18, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  114. bailoutsos

"The Beaver"? I thought that was going to be a Schwarzenegger movie? "Nice beaver!" he said to the staffer.

May 18, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clown

Don't feel bad. I thought I was given another golden opportunity to troll yet another Justin Bieber article. Now I'm a sad clown.

May 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  115. The dish

I would love to see this movie. I am sick of the same type of movies with Anniston, Goldie Hawn's daughter, Will Ferrell, etc, etc... which have no depth nor redeeming qualities. THey are not even funny and they make the same movie over and over again. Its as if they think we are a bunch of lemmings who will go see the movies if they are in them. Mel's body of work has been extraordinary in many ways. Give the guy a break. He makes good movies.

May 18, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Rachel

Both are superb actors most of the time, and Jodie Foster has produced several gems of movies. I intend to see this one. It would be so nice if we didn't hear the details of actors private lives and then we'd be able to focus on their performances.

May 18, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Michelle

Good for Mel and Jodie! They make a remarkable team and am very happy for them. Looking forward to seeing this movie too.

May 18, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  118. mark

I wana see this movie now netflix get this movie!!!

May 18, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  119. TrudyBird

He is a BRILLIANT actor and director. I would love to see the movie but guess I'll have to wait for the DVD. We're all a work in progress. Some have more work to do on themselves than others.

May 18, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rolph

Very well spoken Trudybird

May 18, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Why even worry about the opinions of mouth-breathers and sheep who take their marching orders from the cabal?

May 18, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.

Brilliant? Oh, yeah, I forgot. Being a degenerate alcoholic can make you think you are brilliant. I don't drink and I don't beat women so I can't really see your point of view.

May 19, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • ghetto dream crusher

@m

Half of the great American writers were drug addicts and alcoholics, but yeah, they suck too.

May 19, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  120. J Y

yeah you gotta love how the movie company's throw their weight around and put big budget movies in small indie film fests

May 18, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fairfax

Cannes is hardly a "small, independent film festival".

May 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric of Reseda

Oh yes, you must be speaking of that little festival in the south of France. I've heard of it. What is it? Can....can-es....well, can SOMEthing...

May 22, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  121. The Mad R@p3r

I like both of them as actors but as human beings they're both complete wacktards.

May 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Chucklehead

The moronic masses of media botards and their followers have sentenced Mel Gibson to a future of failure. Yet, they embrace idiots like Charlie Sheen, who never had a fraction of the talent Mel has. Too bad for you. This movie was actually quite entertaining. Your loss!

May 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

No one has hired Charlie Sheen.

May 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

Agreed! B-dog appears to be a hateful person so disregard his/her comment

May 18, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • PandaProcess

Wait, who is embracing Charlie Sheen? The "masses" didn't go see his tour which flopped. In fact less went to see his stupid tour than saw this movie. A grown adult playing with a beaver puppet may have entertained you for an hour and a half, but I wouldn't agree that puts you in some elite group where you belong judging the "masses". Not that you care. You sound like the typical "I'm trendy, sophisticated and better than you because I watch off-beat indie movies" type.

May 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark C

Embrace Charlie Sheen? Could you possibly be any dumber? Last I checked, he was unemployed.

May 18, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • bek

I will not support any endeavor that puts money into the pocket of that bigoted, woman-beating, religious whack-job drunk. And just for the record, I never thought Charlie Sheen had any value as a performer at all, and still don't.

May 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • markus

BULL. I haven't "embraced" Charlie Sheen over anyone...and he's irrelevant to my feelings about this anti-Semitic wife-beating piece of s*** named Mel Gibson. No thanks to both of them. I will NEVER pay another cent to see one of this jerk's films.

May 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • B-Dog

Doesn't surprise me that a country that will harbor and praise a pedophile rapist like Polanski, would welcome a racist J*w hater like Mel with open arms.... But 10 MINUTES??! What a bunch of blowhard A- Kissers!

May 18, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Charlie Sheen and Mel Gibson rock in my book. They both say it like it is and don't take no bullcrap from anyone. The media can lie all they want about them but it doesn't make it true. These two guys are living large, making millions of dollars on movie royalties and don't give aflying f*** what you dipsticks have to say about them. Your lives are pale and boring beyond compare to Charlie and Mel.

May 19, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Cynthia

Wow, the people who are so wrapped up in celebrities, regardless how bad they are, are pathetic. I found it especially sad that they have no life of their own, living through and for these two losers that they would attack anyone who doesn't feel like rewarding bad behavior. The media is lying....these guys talk the truth (?>????)....say it like it is....so it's hate all women, minorities, anyone who doesn't lick their boots and that is fine, after all they are CELEBRITIES. sheesh, p a t h e t i c

May 19, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Julsie

Why would you even compare the two? Mel Gibson has spewed hatred about almost every race, gender and religion on the planet (except himself and his own religion, of course). Charlie Sheen is just a drug addict and womanizer – but at least his hatred is reserved for people he thinks (right or wrong) threw him under the bus.

May 19, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • davidk

why didn't they get jerry mathers a cameo?

May 19, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Gibson Rocks

Mel Gibson is one of the best actors and directors hollywood has ever produced. Why are people so obssesed with his personal life?

May 19, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Gis Bun

There is a difference. Gibson is a racist and wife beater and an idiot. Sheen is just an idiot.

May 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chucklehead

....and the lemmings have spoken.

May 19, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate Lynn

I had an ex-boyfriend like you. He thought he was so special because he listened to alternative music and only went to art house movies. Turns out, he's just another follower, only just a different type of group. He spouted crap he heard other people saying. You're not special dude. Your just one of a million people like you who think they're so different...but really aren't.

May 19, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linsay

Jodie Foster is a remarkable actor and director with vision and intelligence. If she chose Mel Gibson for a role in this film it was because of his talent and his ability to play the part well. It isn't an "art" film. It is a serious film about a matter that many people try to ignore or mock...depression. She is trying to give this difficult (and very widespread) problem the attention and compassion it deserves. Her intention is to open the public's eyes and promote compassion and, hopefully, get help for those people suffering from this debilitating condition. This DOES NOT have to do with Mel Gibson's character or past.

May 20, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric of Reseda

Well, yeah, but although Sheen has flirted with anti-Semitism, Gibsone has a LOVE affair with it. And it's not just run-of-the-mill anti-Semitism. Mel would be ushering people into the gas chambers if he could, all under the guise of being a devoted Catholic. He's had plenty of opportunities to back off. But he uses those ops to consume more alcohol. Sorry, I don't care HOW talented he is, if the world was filled with Mel Gibson's, I would be the FIRST one to push the buttons.

May 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Bigus Dickus

Indeed...

May 18, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Ronan

Unfortunately, it appears that her gate doesn't swing your way.

And Mel is still the man in my book.

May 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Schnuptz

I would like to see that!!!! Her gate does swing my way ;)

May 19, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  126. Apostate

Quite true.

May 19, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  127. RayG

Goofy stuff, but true.

He really should tell the Hollywood tribe to go to hell.

May 18, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Josh

I know what you mean! I hate Jews. And black people. And women. And, oh don't listen to me, I'm just filled with ignorance like the other two commentators. Grow up trolls...

May 18, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Mark C

Pan him? Could you be any dumber? This guy has been given chance after chance. And this movie got good reviews.

May 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Steve Stanlee

its ok joshie because everybody hates you too....especially ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER

May 19, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |