Life’s a witch on the fourth season of ‘True Blood’
May 17th, 2011

Life’s a witch on the fourth season of ‘True Blood’

With little more than a month to go before the season four premiere of HBO’s "True Blood," fans are taking every opportunity to read the tea leaves whenever the network releases a new trailer.

So, what can we expect this season? Bon Temps’ cornucopia of supes will be joined by a coven of witches, and Marnie, the Head Witch in Charge, is none other than the terrific Fiona Shaw of "Harry Potter" fame.

Of course it wouldn’t be the show we all know and love without the copious amount of sex, sweat and Lafayette. Perhaps the best part of this trailer – there’s nary a fairy to be seen. A girl can dream, right?

HBO’s "True Blood" premieres Sunday, June 26 at 9 p.m.ET/8 p.m. CT.

Post by:
Filed under: television • True Blood

1. AllyCat

To the people complaining about the realism of the accents or local, or whatever. This is a fictional story, based on a fictional book, with characters that are not real. It's a TV show. It's not real. It's entertainment. And it's on HBO, so if you don't like it, don't watch it. Leave the rest of us Fangbangers alone. We look forward to watching it every week.

May 18, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. drrjt

The books stink. Adult content for an audience with pre-teen reading comprehension. The show isn't perfect, but is much more interesting than the books. Unfortunate that the two main characters are the worst actors though.

May 18, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JayinSF

Glad it's finally coming back! Hopefully, the "fairy" storyline will fade away – distracts from all the vamps and werewolves and now witches!

May 18, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Frank

I iz a butt pirate and I iz lookin for a few good men to party with! Let's pump each other in da rump! I love to schlob da knob!!!

May 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • JayinSF

Come on out to San Francisco – we'll take care of ya since you're begging for it!

May 18, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ljay Houston

Have to address it.... sorry... "Nary a Fairy"!?!?!?! REALLY!?!?!?!? How completely insulting. Just as, as a black man, I might be offended by "nary a n#*)ah" = = but I guess you would have edited that one – and rightly so. So glad to see that the last group you can get away with prejudicing hasn't even slipped CNN's pages. Way to get on that bandwagon!

May 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Um ... you do realize the author was talking about ACTUAL fairies, right?

She wasn't applauding the fact that there were no gays in the trailer (there were), but that there were no mythical creatures known as fairies. Because the fairy storyline sucks so far.

May 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • JayinSF

"Nary a Fairy" is referring to Sookie's character since she is a fairy in the storyline.

May 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Francis

Um, yeah. Why don't you climb down off your sad little misinformed soapbox and have yourself a season two/season three viewing party. Go ahead, we'll wait.

May 18, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ljay Houston

Hahahah!!! Okay. I am the first one to admit that I am a moron! I watch the show and just totally missed the mark on that one. I was just shocked that someone who watched the show would make that reference. AND with all the G*Y commentary about the show, I guess I was in the mindset of people bashing it.

May 19, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. QueenSupreme

I watch this for one reason and one reason only: Eric Northman.

May 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. thatoneguy

How is it that the supposedly straight vampires in Twilight seem so much more G@y than the actual G@y vampires in True Blood? BTW waiting sucks!

May 18, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Shay

True Blood makes Twilight look even more horrible (although I did enjoy the Meyer books) True Blood is edgy, full of suspense and overall fantastic. Can't WAIT for season 4!!

May 18, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. AllyCat

The HBO Show is sooooooo much better than the books. I can't wait to watch this season. Love, love, love it.

May 18, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  10. Vikki S

Spot on Dr. Miller. I was so looking forward to the adaptation of Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden novels – the series was God awful! Luckily Butcher is still writing the series. Has any one seen the old series, Blood Ties. It was an adaptation of Tanya Huff"s Henry novels that knocked it out of the park! Sooo good, but unfortunately cancelled.

May 18, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Antonio Velasquez Jr.

"TRUTH IS ACCOMPLISHED" How are you doing ?

May 18, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. Tracy

What's hilarious is that Jason has the most believable accent, and he's Australian. LOL I also hate Sookie's terrible accent but I love the series (books and show) and I can overlook it because of all the off-the-chart OMG did that JUST HAPPEN!?!?! moments.

May 18, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dorry

Just waiting for Eric and Sookie to hook-up!! LOL

May 18, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Antonio Velasquez Jr.

"IN GOD WE TRUST" Truth is powerfully percieved,inspirationally mentally imagined;instantly identified; accurately accepted and eloquently proclaimed:"My friends are healthy and well,they all live joyful lives. The goodness that they have for me is the good that they all recieve for themselves.And those who become to decide to be my enemies are individually and altogether desease stricken and terminally ill. Agonies are their only friends and swift death destruction is their only reward." "IN GOD WE TRUST"

May 18, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sarah Michele

SO EXCITED for the new season! Love the show!!!

May 18, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  16. NOLA Ex-Pat

Honey, I know that Louisiana is a melting pot. I have family all over the state: in Monroe, in Shreveport, Pineville, Vidalia, Opelousas, St. Martinville, Houma and New Orleans...and I'm telling you that not one of them sounds like Sookie. Most of them watch the show and just crack up at the accents, myself included, because none of us have EVER heard that accent. Tara's accent is just awful as well. Sounds like she's trying to sound like she's from Alabama or something.

I'm not offended, I think it's hilarious. I just wish they would've worked a bit harder on those accents, lol.

May 18, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Dorry

I agree with you. Her accent is ridiculous. Actually, I can't stand Anna Pacquin in this role. I know I'm going to take a lot of flack for that comment, but she SUCKS as Sookie Stackhouse! Totally unbelievable and forced performance!!

May 18, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • bamagirl

FYI...people in Alabama don't sound like that either. We do have paved roads and universities too!

May 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. CC

I love me some True Blood, books and show! As I read these comments from some of these people I have to shake my head. It is a show just like any other show and it is creative! It's not there to mirror Louisiana or to exactly mirror vampires. It is there to take it to a new level of what could be. As far as their accents, Louisiana is a melting pot just like New York so everyone sounds different. Some people should not be so literal and just watch something that will give you a good laugh and relax! At least its not another horrible reality show!

May 18, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  18. NOLA Ex-Pat

Nope. He may have lived elsewhere, but Sam was born in New Orleans. Check out his Wikipedia page. He also has family near Alexandria, as many of my friends had the pleasure of meeting him a few weeks ago when he was in town. He's a very nice, very gracious gentleman.

May 18, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  19. True Blood Fan

I simply adore the way Bill calls sookie's name. I can't hardly wait until season 4 begins. June 26 can't get here fast enough for me. Oh me Oh my!

May 18, 2011 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  20. CHRIS

I LOVE ME SOME SOOKIE!!!!

May 18, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  21. In the Time of Chimpanzees I was a Monkey

Ted Nugent used to say Sookie in his songs.

May 18, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  22. nikki

cant wait fir that day

May 18, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  23. Bort

I enjoy the show but the book(s) are awful. Horribly written, with the prose of a crotch novel. Perhaps they get better later in the series? I don't know, I could only stomach half of the first novel. Just my humble opinion but it seems that HBO really polished a turd. Cheers.

May 18, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  24. supernaturalsookie

never watched the show. But sookie isn't completely human herself.

May 18, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  25. Thought U Knew

Vampires-the original ones-not the modern day versions were completely as*xual. Not g*y. Not even heteros*xual. No s*x what so ever. Thats what makes these new shows so unbelieable. True Blood was way off base both ways. Cancel.

May 18, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  26. NOLA Ex-Pat

The show just cracks me up. Being born and raised in Louisiana, there are a few things I'd like to point out:

1. No one in Louisiana talks the way Sookie, Tara, Bill, or Jason does. Sam is the only one that sounds remotely authentic- and that's because he's actually from Louisiana. Every time Anna Paquin opens her mouth, I want to punch a goat.

2. There are some bayous in North Louisiana, but they sure as hell don't look like Bon Temps.

3. Evan Rachel Wood as Sophie-Anne Leclerq looks like a little girl playing dress-up in her mama's closet.

4. You don't spend your whole morning mowing your lawn and then go lay out in the sun in the middle of a Louisiana summer. Hell, you can hardly breathe.

5. Why isn't Abita beer being served at Merlotte's? If not on tap, at least in a bottle?

6. No one goes to Shreveport if they're looking to party. Heck, no one goes as north as Alexandria. If you're looking to party, you head south to Lafayette or New Orleans.

The show is cute, but I hope people don't get the wrong impression of the people in my home state. ;)

May 18, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • BB

I thought Sam was from WV. I know he graduated from my high school here, anyway.

May 18, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • gypsywoman816

Actually NOLA Ex-Pat, while you may have some points, you are 100% wrong on number 5. You see Abita on tap at Merlottes in many episodes and it was even mentioned in a line of dialogue in the first season. I believe there's even a big neon sign for Abita at the bar area, at least in Season 1, but I'd have to go back and double-check on that one. However, I'm only remembering references in the first season...maybe had to get rid of the Product Placement for Seasons 2-3? Maybe it was a copyright/licensing issue?

May 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  27. mon

Sookie is not all human herself. She has a "way" with other supes.

And to the idiot complaining that there are too many supernatural beings, read the books! They often introduce new, interesting supes.

May 18, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  28. Eliana

@Harrisfan, I agree with your point about people who've read the books first naturally preferring them to the show. That's usually the case with any book turned into film. If you read the book first, the film version(s) rarely compare.

May 17, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Eliana

I saw the show before I'd decided to read the books. I hate the books! I only read one (or two, maybe, I don't remember) and was very disappointed. Not only are the books poorly written (I wasn't expecting Hemingway or anything, but c'mon!), but the characters are undeveloped. The show is so much better on every conceivable level. Can't believe we've all been waiting nearly a year...but it's almost time. Bring on the Alexander Skaarsgard!

May 17, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dorry

You really have to give the books another chance. No, they are not Hemingway books, but they are totally entertaining. I read the first one and wasn't all that crazy about it, but kept going at my friend's urging. I promise – they get much, much better!! If you like Eric, you will ESPECIALLY love Book 4!! Trust me!

May 18, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  30. Alexis

I have to say I do love the books a whole lot more than the show but that doesn't mean I don't love the show...and if season four is about book four than I am in HEAVEN!!!!

May 17, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • BouvLvr

Alexis...I am so there with you. Even if they only touch on a small portion of book four I will be in heaven. I really need my Eric fix.

May 18, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Dorry

Right there with you! It was my favorite book!! LOVE me some Eric!!!

May 18, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  31. StonedBluntsen

Soooookie is a horrible character. Since when do humans boss around vampyres? I know her sookie cant be that good.

May 17, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Scott

Sssookie...

May 17, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Yumadumdum

BURN THE WITCH!!

This show is getting to stupid with all the supernatural crap. it was cool when there was vampires, and shifters was all right, but everyone's friggen supernatural now.

May 17, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Get a life

Started watching the show cause of my GF. Just a reminder that it is just a TV series and not worthy of my time to comment more than this one statement.

You're all idiots!

May 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Harrisfan

Look, I am no prude. I love laurel k Hamilton. I love charlaine harris. However, watched a few episodes of true blood. Decided that I preferred the sookie books to the show, for a variety of reasons, mainly the authenticity of the dialogue in the books vs the show. I have found in discussions with friends, those who knew books first, prefer them. Those who watched show first love it. Who cares? Eric rules

May 17, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  36. JR

I have read all the books and watched all episodes. They're fantastic in their own way. If people choose not to watch the HBO series based on language and nudity, feel free to watch reruns of Little House and Punky Brewster.

May 17, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  37. jennifer steinborn

Love the books.. love the show!! believing or not believing in Vamps is your choice, they excist...cant wait for the new season.....

May 17, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  38. j

All good seasons except 3, somebody turned it into a gay snuff film. Loved the king and his lover though, thought they fit into the show very well. Everybody else turning gay over night was stupid.

May 17, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  39. hello!!

Hello people, its on HBO what the hell did you expect?! DONT WATCH IT if you don't "approve".

May 17, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Russell Edgington

I hope Russell Edgington returns this season. "For itt is he who is mad, speaking to phantoms."

May 17, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lacy

Mr. Russell Edgington, I dearly hope for your return too, sir. You are deliciously crazy and charming.

May 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Farnsworth14

This is an Amazing show / love Bill's little redheaded vampire / she is beyond HOT

May 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Rebecca

Sorry, not witches. Those are necromancers. What a pile of lard.

May 17, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Mammy

I dig all the cornholing on the show,

May 17, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Lloyd Christmas

Where is the all in one gang?

May 17, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  45. LEE

Phast, you are the idiot. There is no such thing as vampires.

May 17, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  46. D'Monica Minniefield

I can't wait I love this show

May 17, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Elizabeth

"Fangtastic"!!

May 17, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Phast

LBWI, would it make you feel better if they replaced the F bomb with screw? Most of the people you know aren't vampires or from Louisiana.....IDIOT

May 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • rudy prudie

LBWI must like the glittery kind of vamps.

May 17, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • J.

You don't like this person's opinion about a TV show, and for that you call him an idiot???? Oh please.

May 18, 2011 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  49. xabana

You can't say nary a fairy if Lafayette's in the scene.

May 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  50. TheWordMaster

Eh. I'm mad The Event got cancelled.

May 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Why? I watched the entire season and I thought it sucked. I love science fiction but I hate stupid plot twists and unrealistic characterizations ... The Event was saturated with both.

May 18, 2011 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
  51. Rosa

I have also read all of the books and watched all of the True Blood episodes, and I like them both but seperately. Everyone ask me what happens next because I've read the series but I can honestly say I have no idea most of the time because the books are so different.

May 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  52. shoshana

awesome

May 17, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Aireka

To each their own. I love the books but also enjoy the show (not season 3 though)

May 17, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  54. LBWl

I have enjoyed reading Charlaine Harris's, Sookie Stackhouse novels, but I had never seen True Blood until the other night. I was so disappointed. Every other word was the F-bomb, in fact, if that word had been taken out, there would have been no script. The books aren't like that and most people that I know don't talk like that so I don't understand. Also, I won't be watching that mess any more.

May 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clarence the Eyeless Wildebeast

Who cares what you are or aren't watching?

May 17, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • xabana

Good riddance, we don't really want bible-thumpers watching our show anyway. You probably missed most of the meaning of these books, anyway.

May 17, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

LOL have to love the replies. Then again, who cares what they think?

May 17, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bookenz

That's because you're an effin prude.

May 17, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tewilliger

Well, evidently, Clarence, xabana, and Bookenz really wanted you to watch. It was really, really important to them.

May 17, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rudy Prudie

A few summers ago, I was catching a pilot on HBO just as it was coming on. Jason was going at Maudette in a very naked way. I was horrified, repulsed and disgusted. I wondered what else could they possibly show? I didn't know so I've been watching it ever since just to see. I may be a big time prude but I live vicariously through True Blood. Don't knock what fictional characters do that you won't in reality.

May 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • myopin

Have to say, I agree with you LBWI. I saw one show and had really looked forward to watching it because of it popularity. I didnt see the point of all the cursing and 'other' scenes.

May 17, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr. Miller

It's like everything else you ever read. How can the video possibly compare to the written word? Try the Dresden Chronicles. Nick Cage destroyed the novels trying to adapt to a Hollywood formulaic. You just have to appreciate them as separate stories.

May 17, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sweetenedtea

I'm generally a fan of books over movies/TV/visual media, but I consider the show far superior to the inept and poorly-written books. I've tried more than once to read them and keep tossing them down in disgust.

May 17, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete

That's unfortunate. You must've seen a bad episode. You read vampire books but you don't like swear-words?
      My lady had done all of the reading as well and is very pleased with HBO's product, even when they've taken liberties with the storylines. I didn't like the Bible either, so much death and torture and destruction and threats of eternity in fire and brimstone and racism against Jews and they didn't have any Asians in the stories, and of all of the people who were probably wrongfully crucified this one guy really got it good, but they buried for over a 72hour period so he could properly turn into a vampire.

May 18, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Franny60

It appearsYou must be one of those Tea baggers. Their mantra is hypocrisy!

May 18, 2011 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Dorry

I have also read all of the books, and I'll agree that the language on the show is absolutely ridiculous! I especially hated Tara because they made her look and sound like trash and she wasn't like that in the book. That being said, I love the show and can get past all that and enjoy it as an extension of the stories in the books. Can you imagine anyone else playing Eric!? He's perfect, was always my favorite character and now, when I read that books I faces to go with the character.

May 18, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Go eff yourself!!

May 18, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Ames

Hands down: Best show on TV. I agree with Dorry – just off Bill already lol

May 18, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • True2TrueBlood

The books are boring compared to the series. Maybe you should stick to TV Land and the 700 club

May 18, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael D

@xabana- You don't need to be a 'bible-thumper' to not want to hear the f-bomb every ten seconds. I'm sure growing up in your house, it was heard more often than that while your parents made the next batch of meth.

May 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |