Brad Pitt: Religious upbringing was 'stifling'
May 17th, 2011

Brad Pitt: Religious upbringing was 'stifling'

Filmmaker Terrence Malick's latest, "The Tree of Life," has been alternately described as a “tone poem” delving into issues about faith, family and forgiveness and a “coming of age story about the universe,” so it’s understandable that Monday's Cannes press event got a little heavy.

The movie tells the story of a Midwestern family in the 1950s, with Brad Pitt playing the authoritative father raising three kids along with his wife, played by Jessica Chastain.

Although Pitt, a father of six, joked that his parenting style isn't quite the same as the character he plays in Malick's film, the story does raise a lot of the same questions about spirituality he had as a child.

"Many people find religion to be very inspiring," he told reporters. "Myself, I found it very stifling."

Pitt said that he grew up “being told God is going to take care of everything and it doesn't always work out that way. And then you're told 'Well, it's God's will'...I grew up with Christianity and I remember questioning it greatly. Some things didn't work for me. Some things did. I had a lot of the questions that the film presents. That's why it spoke to me." The 47-year-old actor admitted, "I got my issues. Man, you don't want to get me started."

Pitt said he almost didn’t get started with the "Tree of Life" at all, because he was concerned about how his role as a sometimes angry and cruel father would affect his kids.

“I think of everything I do now [as] my kids are going to see [it] when they grow up and how are they going to feel,” Pitt said. “But they know me as a dad and I hope they’ll just think of me as a pretty damn good actor.”

Filed under: Brad Pitt • Celebrities

1. NG

Brad thinks of everything he does now because his kids will see it. Humm, wonder what they will think when they read that he was married to another woman when one of them was conceived. Wonder what they will think when they realized he was a lier and a fake in his marriage. Of course, the kids will be the same; no commitments to anyone, or any place. It's wonderful to see the world, but kids need a home base, surrounded by loving relatives.I feel for Brad's family, can't imagine what they go through just to see their grandkids. The whako job he's married to will make sure that they are as nutty as she is. Must hell o ole Brad babysitting all those kids and checking his phone every minute to find out where old botox lips has landed and who with! I refuse to watch any of their movies to finance their nut job life styles.

June 8, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. Don

I live in the town Pitt grew up in and the home office of the Assemblies of God is here. Mega Churches have turned out to be used for networking and are masked by religion. It is pathetic. The God I believe in isnt short of cash.

June 6, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. ophu

I don't know about Brad, but for me, Christianity was like wearing a well-tailored suit on a scorching hot day. Sure, you look good, but you'd still be better off in shirt sleeves.

June 4, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ned

Tobbie

So sad that he didn't take anything away from his "religous" upbringing. During the course of his marital affair, he was a pathological liar. His kids are his accessories.....they need a bath, some decent clothes, a hair brush and some manners!!

Red neck ray-cist.

June 1, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Redneck Alert

Tobbie

Don't like kids of different races, do you? Shame on you.

June 1, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tom Tom the Piper's Son

Over Sunday lunch with me the lone irreligious person at the table, I got the comment that "you atheists are so arrogant."

My response?

The universe is 14 billion years old. There are 400 billion stars in this galaxy alone and over 100 billion other galaxies. You claim that all that time and all that space was created for one mammalian species a few hundred thousand years old yet I'm the arrogant one. You claim to know the will of the being that created all that time and space yet I'm the arrogant one. You claim to be made in this beings image yet I'm the arrogant one. You claim to be able to telepathically communicate with this being yet I'm the arrogant one.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The conversation changed to hockey.

June 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nellie

Pastor Bobby, are you the young boy who survived?

June 1, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pastor Bobby Dufrane

Why I know That There is a God and That He Loves Me

A Personal Testimony.

Allow me to share a story. Not too long ago doubt was creeping into my head about the Lord and then a miracle happened.

It was 3 years ago and 50 members of my church were enroute to a bible camp in the Blueridge Mountains of Virginia. They were traveling in a chartered bus. As they sang blessed hymns to the Lord, Satan was up to his old tricks. You see, the bus driver was an atheist socialist and that day his coffee mug was filled with vodka. As the bus wound up through the switchbacks, the driver became progressively drunker. Then it happened. It was that day that changed this poor sinner's life forever. Entering a particularly tight switchback, the besotted driver finally lost control of the bus and it plummeted 1500 feet down into a ravine where it exploded into a fireball incinerating the flock. The only survivor that fateful day was a young boy who was thrown from the bus by his father seconds before it hit the bottom.

This young boy suffered severe brain damage from hitting a rock head first and will have to wear a football helmet and drool cup for the remainder of his life. But his survival proved to me that miracles do happen because God does exist and loves me. The Lord caused that accident to bring me back to his flock.

Hallelujah!

Praise Jesus! Just open your eyes to his miracles and you will see him everywhere.

June 1, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mel

Hell is pretty stifling too Brad.

June 1, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SophieCat

Sorry to hear you couldn't get God to fit in your little box, Brad. Or that you've discovered that your heavenly Father isn't like Santy-Claus, bestowing upon you every whim that turns a thought in your pretty little head. He is who He is. And He made you. He created you, and knew you before you were born. You will return to Him someday, when the number of your appointed days are finished you will return to Him.

And, as will happen to us all, you will answer for the works you did in this life. Good AND bad, you will answer for all of it.

As will your rich friends, your tattooed wife, and all your children. As will I.

As will we all.

June 1, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sara

Brad–you will always be a major talent and I for one believe you should feel safe sharing your feelings and thoughts even if they aren't popular. I've watched you since you started in the movies and you're ok in my book.

May 28, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. remy

yeah stifling .......like that whole thou shall not commit adultery thing.........I can see where that would hamper your social life

May 26, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LB

I could really care less about this story, however, what IS amazing to me is the RIDICULOUS amount grammatical and spelling errors on here. Didn't anyone go to high school??? I am seriously laughing aloud. Thanks for the entertainment today guys.

May 25, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • 1stTimer

LB, your post cites the grammatical errors which blows my mind because you made 3 yourself in only 3 sentences. #1. The 1st "sentence" is a run on. #2. You forgot an "of" between AMOUNT and GRAMMATICAL and #3. The expression is "I COULDN'T care less...." Not, "I could care less." If you COULD care less, that implies that you do in fact care at least a little bit. Wrong.

We're not gonna make it...

June 6, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. turdhead

Believe whatever ya want Brad.
    I'm not the one shacked up with Skeletor.

May 23, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bill Kilpatrick

I find it hilarious that Brad Pitt, an actor commenting on a role, happened to mention that he found his own religious upbringing "stifling" – only to end up provoking all this nonsense and noise from a bunch of religious fanatics.

Get defensive much?

May 22, 2011 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

Seems to be more "non-sense" and "defensiveness" coming from the Brad worshippers.

June 6, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. SKY

FACT: (flowerpower) 1.WHY DOES GOD ALLOW SUFFERING? -2PETER 3:8 "BE NOT IGNORANT OF THIS ONE THING
    THAT ONE DAY IS WITH THE LORD AS A THOUSAND YEARS AND A THOUSAND YEARS AS ONE DAY......LETS THINK
    SPIRTUAL OK...YOURS YEARS ARE 70 OR 80 AND BECAUSE OF SPECIAL WILL TO LIVE MAYBE 100 YEARS....
    GOD'S PROMISES TO UNDO ALL THE DAMAGE DONE MY THE DEVIL...YOU SEE THE DEVIL IS THE CAUSE OF
    DEATH AND ALL THE SUFFERING...(HEBREWS 2:14) FORASMUCH THEN AS THE CHILDREN ARE PARTAKERS OF
    FLESH AND BLOOD, HE ALSO HIMSELF LIKEWISE TOOK PART OF THE SAME, THAT THROUGH DEATH HE MIGHT
    DESTROY HIM THAT HAD THE POWER OF DEATH, THAT IS THE DEVIL.(BAM)
    AND THE REASONS HE PERMITS IT IS BECAUSE OF 2PETER 3:9 "THE LORD IS NOT SLACK CONCERNING HIS PROMISE
    AS SOME MEN COUNT SLACKNESS, BUT IS LONGSUFFERING TO US NOT WILLING THAT ANY SHOULD PERISH, BUT THAT ALL SHOULD COME TO REPENTANCE.
    2.FIRST HUMAN AS A FEMALE....GENESIS 2;7 "AND THE LORD GOD FORMED MAN OF THE DUST OF THE GROUND
    AND BREATHED INTO HIS NOSTRILS THE BREATH OF LIFE AND MAN BECAME A LIVING SOUL.....GENESIS 2:18 AND THE LORD GOD SAID, IT IS NOT GOOD THAT THE MAN SHOULD BE ALONE, (THEN GOD MADE EVE THE FIRST
    SURGERY IN THE BIBLE......3. WHY DID GOD PUT MAN ON THE EARTH? ISAIAH 45:18 " FOR THUS SAID THE LORD
    THAT CREATED THE HEAVENS, GOD HIMSELF THAT FORMED THE EARTH AND MADE IT; HE HATH ESTABLISHED
    IT, HE CREATED IT NOT IN VAIN, HE FORMED IT TO BE INHABITED: I AM THE LORD AND THERE IS NON ELSE.
    4.RELIGION A CRUSH , RELIGION CAUSE OF WAR -ECCLESIASTES 8:9 "ALL THIS HAVE I SEEN, AND APPLIED MY
    HEART UNTO EVERY WORK THAT IS DONE UNDER THE SUN; THERE IS A TIME WHEREIN ONE MAN RULETH
    OVER OVER ANOTHER TO HIS OWN HURT.
    IN GODS EYES, OUR PAIN WILL BE FOR A SHORT TIME, WE HAVE EYES OF FAITH..GOD IS NOT SLEEP
    OR DEAD....PSALM 91:7 "A THOUSAND SHALL FALL AT THY SIDE, AND THEN THOUSAND AT THEY RIGHT
    SIDE, BUT IT SHALL NOT COME NIGH THEE.....YES, FAITH IN GOD...I MAY DIE BUT GOD WILL GIVE ME HOLY
    SPIRT SO I DO NOT SUFFER AS THE REST WHO DO NOT PUT TRUST IN HIM.....SOON GOD PROMISES TO UNDO
    ALL THE SUFFERING ON THIS EARTH......MATTHE 24:21-22 "FOR THEN SHALL
    BE GREAT TRIBULATION SUCH AS WAS NOT SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THE WORLD TO THIS TIME, NO NOR
    EVER SHALL BE. AND EXCEPT THOSE DAYS SHOULD BE SHORTENTED, THERE SHOULD NO FLESH BE
    SAVED, BUT FOR THE ELECT'S SAKE THOSE DAY SHALL BE SHORTENED."
    PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO REJECT GOD ESPECIALLY NOW.....READ THE BIBLE
    LOVE YOUR BROTHER, PRAY TO THE GOD OF HEAVEN ASK HIM TO DIRECT YOU TO HIS PEOPLE
    WHO LOVE HIS LAW – DO NOT BE DECEIVED

May 21, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  17. FlowerPower

Well Shirley, I agree with most of what you said except that you are "very" poor. You don't seem to understand the adverb "very" as meaning "exceedingly." If you were actually EXCEEDINGLY poor as so many people in third world countries are, you wouldn't be typing comments from your COMPUTER on the INTERNET. And if you're going to comment back that you're borrowing a computer or that you're at a library using their Internet access, well, think about that before you say anything too :o)

May 21, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  18. WALKINGLASS

EVERY DAY 42,000 children R dying of STARVATION and filthy water while Angelina and Brad put their BIG money into mansions and a GNATS amount into helping the suffering so they THINK they can buy their way into heaven with some loose change.

May 20, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Katie K

WALKINGLASS – You say "so they THINK they can buy their way into heaven with some loose change." I don't know Brad and Angelina, so I can't speak for what they are thinking, but I don't see anywhere that they say they are trying to "buy" their way into anywhere – least of all "heaven". Seems like they are doing things to help people and the fact that they have a lot of money – that they earned – just makes it a little easier. Good for them and good for the people who receive their help.

June 6, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sandy Eckert

I totally agree with what he is saying religion can be very stifling!

May 19, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  20. starvin marvin

I dropped a Luigi in your bathtub.

May 19, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  21. SKY

FACT: GOD IS NOT CAUSING NATURAL DISATERS, HE ONLY FORETOLD THEY WOULD HAPPEN, JUST AS A METEROLOGIST FORECAST THE WEATHER. NOW BACK TO THOSE WHO VIOLATE WHAT GODS SAYS....
    THEY DO REAP THE HARVEST...WE SEE THEIR PICTURES AND THEY SEEM TO BE PROSPERING, BUT THIS
    IS IN NO WAY PROOF OF GOD'S BLESSING...DEFRAUDING THEY SPEAK IN A ELEVATED STYLE...THEY GIVE
    MONEY TO THE POOR, BUILD HOMES, SCHOOLS...."BEHOLD TO OBEY THE LORD IS BETTER THAN A
    SACRIFICE" -(1 Samuel 15:22)
    JESUS CHRIST OBEY GOD LAWS, BUT HE WAS PUT TO DEATH...HE HAD NO PLACE TO LAY HIS HEAD.
    YET HE DID GOOD TO THE POOR AND HEALED THE SICK....AND HE WAS NOT A FORNICATOR OR ADULTERER.
    WE ARE LIVING IN CRITICAL TIMES, NO DAY IS PROMISE TO YOU...GET IT RIGHT NOW – ALL ARE IMPERFECT.
    HUMAN PHILOSOPHIES REFLECT A BASIC SELFISHNESS AND MOMENTARY PLEASURE, WHICH IS ALSO
    FRUSTRATION AND LEADS TO UPHAPPINESS. DON'T LET ANYONE FOOL YOU BY MEANS OF PHILOSOPHY
    AND VAIN DECEIT......ONE DAY SOON, WE ARE ALL GOING TO SEE SIGNS IN THE SUN, MOON AND THE SKY,
    THEY AND THEY WILL BE FROM GOD ALMIGHTY...EVERYONE ON THE ENTIRE EARTH WILL ALL SEE THE SAME
    THING....THEIR GOLD, THEIR CONNECTIONS, THEIR HOUSES, THEIR CARS, CELL PHONES, WONT HELP THEM.
    TIME, LEFT IS SHORT...THOSE WHO VALUE GOD'S WORD AND OBEY IT THE BEST THEY CAN, HAVE NO FEAR
    BUT THOSE WHO REJECT IT OUTRIGHT AND REPLACE IT WITH THEIR THINKING, PLEASE CHANGE

May 18, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marin

TURN OFF YOUR CAPS...... or better yet – GO AWAY......

May 19, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • FlowerPower

I think the SKY is falling. S/he is at the very least brainwashed. First of all, if there really WAS a god, and "he" allowed all the pain, suffering, raping and murdering of children as they cry for their mothers, and mayhem that goes on in the world, shame on "him." What a loser. I would not want to be like that god in any way. Second, humans are first and foremost FEMALE, not male like the tall tales in the Bible state (that was written by humans, and that contradicts itself CONSTANTLY). Women are XX chromosomes (female, female) and men are XY chromosomes (FEMALE, mail). ALL babies begin as FEMALE and only after meiosis takes place do they turn male half of the time. No wonder so many men are gay - they're half female as it is. Third, why would "god" put a man on the earth named Adam, for no good reason, then decide later that he seemed lonely so he'd go ahead and make him a wife? Why was Adam on the earth in the first place then? Stupid, stupid story made up by some MAN. And Fourth, religion IS a crutch, and it has caused almost every war that has existed, and people are just supposed to just "believe?" You're out of your ever-loving mind SKY. In fact, I think you're a space cadet. Religion and the fact that "we're only human" is used as the most lame excuse for not behaving in a civilized manner, is preposterous. I cannot count the number of times neighbors and others have claimed their ill behavior is because they're "only human." What a cop out to use a 70s cliche. So SKY, close your little black book of fairytales, crack a few other books, and open your eyes. Religion has brought nothing but pain and grief to the better part of the world - in fact it still is. All the upheaval in the Middle East is based on people believing THEIR god is telling them to kill and mame westerners for his sake. They're nuts too so don't feel alone. Just... CHANGE.

May 21, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
    • jujubeans

Oh, shut up!

June 1, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katie K

SKY – STOP SHOUTING! It only makes you seem even more stupid than you clearly are, as determined by the contents of your posts.

@FlowerPower – well said.

June 6, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Lughnajune

Actually, I didn't say anything about my beliefs because I don't inflict them on others. If only others would grant me the same respect.

May 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Iam

You are loved, not hated. You have been given a choice. Knowledge is power. You are already forgiven.

May 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Patricia

Come to my bed Brad; I'll unstifle you.

May 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. djmax

it's funny how people who follow bible principles have less to worry about than people who don't.

May 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

I don't follow the principles of any religious doctrine and yet I have no worries. Worrying is a choice.

May 18, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Keeper of the Faith for all the Pagans

We will be here when all you diest are dust. You will never see the foolishness of your ways. People like you, Lughnajune, you spend as much time not believing as reborns do with the opposite. You are just an anti-diest. All the same you will be gone also.

May 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

We're all going to Heaving – You're all going to Hell. That's a pretty standard response; predictable really, and really lame. You're not all that.

May 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Lughnajune

Keep your mythological beliefs to yourself. Brad Pitt does actual human good in the world EVERY DAY through his various charitable funds and foundations. His personal life is no one's business but his own. If believing there is an invisible man in the sky who recently decided to scrub part of Alabama off the map makes you happy, good for you; but don't inflict your values set on the rest of us.

May 18, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  28. lovemesomebrad

He's so freakin' hot, I would drink his bath water. You know it tastes good...

May 18, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  29. WVLady63

"Religious upbringing????" Obviously he has his own religion. According to the Bible, adultery and fornication ARE SINS!!! Sorry, but NO ONE is jealous of a woman who makes out with her brother, comits adultery with another woman's husband and has children with a man she is not married to outside of marriage.

May 18, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

Perhaps his philosophy involves acceptance, forgiveness, and loving people in spite of their imperfections... sounds pretty awesome to me. Maybe you should read some more of that bible of yours.

May 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

Agreed, WV! I am certainly not jealous off either one.

June 6, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  30. SKY

FACT: BRAD AND ANGIE ARE TWO VERY SAD PEOPLE. DON'T LET THE PICTURES FOOL YOU.
    LOVE IS NEVER BUILT OF LIES....CHURCH TEACHERS HAVE CAUSED SO MANY TO
    GIVE UP FAITH IN GOD....BUT EVERYONES HAS A BRAIN.
    AND THE ABILITY TO READ THE BIBLE ON THEIR OWN.
    IF YOU CAN READ AND DIRECT A MOVIE, YOU CAN READ
    THE BIBLE. SO IN YOUR TREE OF LIFE, REMEMBER EVE WAS DECEIVED
    BUT THE MAN WAS NOT. SO BE THE MAN OF YOUR HOUSE AND
    PUT A RING ON ANGIE FINGER AND MAKE HER YOUR WIFE!

May 18, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • OMG

Hyperreligiosity is one of the basic and common symptoms of psychosis. See a doctor quick before the voices tell you to do something horrific.

May 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

You... giving Brad Pitt advise?... really? ..... You can calm down now – I think he's got this.

May 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  31. pitt supporter

kudos... to BRAD AND ANGIE.. tsk tsk so many jealous people.. they onvioucly live love and laugh and really could care less what any of you think... they support charities and care for children and people when devastation hits and donate time and money... i dont see alot of others doing this over and over... and MJ SHAW YOUR COMMENTS ROCK..
    HATERS=JEALOUS agree whole heartedly

May 17, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • k5150

If I made as much money as they do for being professional liars I would give a lot more the charity too. They write their big checks and then go back to their mansions and feel good about themselves.

May 18, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Linda

k5150...dumb a**, go back to their mansions? write big checks? these people get their hands dirty in charity. do YOU?

May 18, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • k5150

Yes Linda, I do actually and I don't have nannies and all those personal assistants to help me either.

May 19, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Marin

@k5150 – no one believes you. You come across as a self-righteous loser....

May 19, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  32. ba supporter

ell said MJ SHAW well said...

May 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  33. ShakeThemHatersOff

hmmm...I'll pray for all you haters!

May 17, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

Please pray a Brad Pitt clone for me. We'll see if that praying really works. I wait in anticipation.

May 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  34. joyce

I think he might be gay.

May 17, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. mejazzbo

Tacky beard! I mean Angelina.

May 17, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Scheer

Stifling, eh?

I guess religion would've steer him away from cheating on his wife and getting another woman pregnant while still married. How these celebrities live with themselves is beyond me. The problem today is so many don't have God in their lives and think they can just do whatever they want, and never hurt anyone.

Get a clue, Brad.

May 17, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ Shaw

How make believe Christians can live with themselves is beyond my understand...

GOD IS JUDGE – – – NOT YOU!

Self-righteousness is the domain of the weak and wicked.

Get over yourself. You DO NOT KNOW these people. You will NEVER KNOW these people. You are stuck in a place in life that you obviously cannot stand to be, otherwise you wouldn't be in here passing judgments on people who you do not even know.

Hater = Jealous

I really is that simple.

May 17, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • defending

And lots of do have religion in their lives, such as that shinning example of virture and religion, Mel Gibson.

May 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

The world is full of people who do what they want and hurt others – religious or not.

May 18, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

You are very right. I, for one, am certainly not jealous of anyone who turns his/her back on Christ...famous or not. I feel sorry for them.

June 6, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Enlightened

Brad is a wonderful @ outstanding and so is Angelina. Look at all of their good work with charities all over the world. I grew up Southern Baptist -and boy did I know everything about it was wrong-except for the wonderful Jesus Christ. I became spiritually aware in my 20's-and what an amazing journey it has been!!! Religion is man made-organized religion is a crock of bs. There is Jesus Christ, the Buddha, Dalai Lama, & so many others who truly know what is going on-even the Native American Indians were connected before Christianity was forced upon them. So until your minds finally open up-keep your closed minded & repressed thoughts to yourself.

May 17, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • k5150

So what you're saying is now that you are "enlightened" we should all do what you tell us to do. That sounds a lot like a man-made religion to me.

May 18, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

You don't sound very enlightened. You sound very ordinary and predictable.

May 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  38. MARGIE

THE PEOPLE WHO WRIYE TERRIBLE THINGS ABOUT PEOPLE THEY DON;T KNOW,ARE NOT VERY GOOD PEOPLE THEMSELF'S. THIS IS A FREE COUNTRY(so far) HE CAN SPEECH HIS MIND. HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SAT THRU CHURH FOR HOURS AS A KID AND UNDERSTOOD IT,??? NOT ME.

May 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • get a clue dum dum

but you figure everything else out, picture hell, that should answer your questions.

May 17, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ Shaw

Hell? You believe in Hell? Honestly, where is the intelligence.

QUIT JUDGING PEOPLE!

I love how alleged-Christian's like to judge and condemn people they haven't a clue about...

Have we forgotten that GOD IS THE JUDGE, and it is not your job?

Yeah, quit claiming to be a good, moral person when all you do on here is spout venomous dribble...

Hater = Jealous

It really is that simple.

May 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • klucas5150

Unfortunately, these celebrities that don't live in the real world insist on speaking their minds knowing that there are insecure idiots out that there that live by there every word. They should just make their millions from their movies and keep their mouth shut about their personal opinions. The average person in the real world doesn't get the opportunity to express their opinion on a world stage so why should these people get the chance just because they play make believe for a living. They are professional liars for crying out loud and some people live by their every word.

May 18, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  39. Timme62

Brad' s drinking is catching up with him. Looking pretty haggy there Pitt.

May 17, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ Shaw

Let's see YOUR picture, pal. I could use a good laugh.

Love how people in here enjoy judging and criticizing more sucessful people.

Hater = Jealous

It really is that simple.

May 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • k5150

lol..so true. He looks like a chipmunk with his cheeks full of acorns too.

May 18, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

I'd hit it.

May 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jupiter

Brad Pitt thinks religion is stifling! Figures... the guy has no morals. Look what he did to Jennifer Anniston. Now he has 5 or more kids with Jolie and they're not married... Yeh, I can see why he thinks religion is "stifling". He likes to live by his own rules and do whatever he feels like do...

May 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ Shaw

"Look what he did to Jennifer"? What kind of fool posts this? The divorce rate is out of control in this country and you're going to judge one person amongst them?

How about what Jennifer did to him? Pitt has said in interviews since the beginning of his career that he wanted a large family someday with lots of children. So when Jennifer's done with friends, she chooses to embark on a mediocre film career in spite of Brad's proclaimed desire to have children? If you ask me, the woman was a fool – but hey, she did him a favor. She set him up to fall for someone who was much more on the same level as himself.

Yeah, they're a couple of "fools". What a bunch of haters. Jolie and Pitt are generous, socially concerned, active people who actually give a damn about the world they live in and are giving their kids an open, adventure filled upbringing that obviously many here are horribly jealous of...

Hater = Jealous

It really is that simple.

May 17, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

He makes decisions based on his own sensibilities; not those imposed upon him by religion. Being self-actualized and self-empowered is hot. Religion is not.

May 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

Amen, Jupiter!!!

June 6, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

I don't think you would trade places with him, would you, Jupiter? Nor would I with her. No matter how nice looking he is. This article definitely changed my mind about him, even if he does do charitable things. I commend if for that, but not his amoral behavior. No matter what Jennifer did or did not do, she didn't deserve to be treated that way. Period.

June 6, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yesurstupid

Stupid comment of the decade: "Look what he did to Jennifer Aniston". YES....U R STUPID

June 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Peace

Religion is a scare tactic to keep people "in line". Tell them," God is everywhere, all the time, & he's watching you". Then again, Santa is watching to see who's naughty or nice, also! Oh boy, I hear some complaining coming, so, DING DING, bring it on!

May 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Bradsajoke

Angelina and Brad....a match made in hell. I can only imagine how bratty their kids are. I saw Angelina interviewed once and she said she didn't like discipline because it stifles a childs imagination and creativity. She also said she lets them color on walls/jump on furniture in hotel rooms and just pays to have them repaired upon check-out. Wow, I hope they have more children. Brad's parents must be so proud of him. I wonder how they feel knowing they stifled him. What lousy parents they were. Brad's an idiot. They are literally the perfect couple. A couple of fools :)

May 17, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  43. moon627

religion is more than just stifling – its a form of insanity in the way of delusion

is Brad wearing pink lipstick in this picture ?

May 17, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  44. angelina's tattoos

religion is always stifling. it is the worst invention in human history.

May 17, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • k5150

May 19, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • K5ismisinformed

Mother Teresa was no saint. She stuck all the sick and dieing in a small hot room together with a tattered blanket and fed them once a day (if she thought they would make it to the next day), and was rarely even in any of her missionary death houses. Most the time she was buddying up with political elites and advocating against abortion. She never fasted or set herself on fire or even tried to get the proper medication transfered to her death houses. Mother Teresa was one of the least saint like peeple of our time.

May 26, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • k5 is right

She has been maligned by groups that disliked the fact that a catholic was doing such good work. Did you see the way india turned out for her funeral.. in such huge numbers to mourn her. That is not the woman you described.

June 3, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Katie K

k5150 – you say "I'm sure you include the religion of a person like Mother Teresa in that catagory of worse inventions. Yeah, she really had the wrong idea, huh? Helping all those poor people in India that nobody else cared about. Wow, that religion must be really, really bad."

If you really think about this, it wasn't her "religion" that helped these people, it was the woman herself. "God" did nothing to either help or hurt those she took in and attempted to help. People helping people – good. "Religion" – bad. Just MHO...

June 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  45. WLM

Yumm Yum.. Brad looks great!!!!

May 17, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mitch

Yeah, you go ahead and say that to his face.

May 17, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  47. e

haha. Good one. Must be easy to not put a lot of stock in religion or God when you can buy anything you want/need, get to help the poor and live in great luxury.

May 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Shirley

Sorry Dude, Brad looks pretty darn good to me.

May 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  49. shirley

So..E, are you saying that you need to be poor to 'put stock' in religion or God? I am poor..very poor in fact, but I most certainly do not begrudge this man for having money and helping the poor..OH, and I think religion is for controlling people and those who cannot find the ability to go through life without someone holding their hand telling them fairytales. Not to say I don't feel their is a "God', I am cool with him, it is his nutty fan clubs down here I don't have much in common with and I seriously doubt they have a clue as to why we are even here.

May 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  50. angelong

Yep, Mr Preacherman. I bet you are a real he man, just like the former governor of California. Make that a heel man.

May 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Michael E

I have not problem telling him the truth. But more importantly I will pray for him and his family.

May 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Roberto V

@Shirley,

You are "very poor" yet you have internet?

May 22, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  53. x1134x

Had they not raised him so christian, he might have turned out better.

May 23, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Tobbie

May 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Tyler Durden

I want to punch you in the ear.

May 26, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Sammys

And I will think for you.

June 1, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |